Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy Racers

Options
  • 04-12-2016 12:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

So back in the day the racer scene was all about, but finished thankfully due to all the labourers having less money and a clamp down on the cars modifications.
    But now there back :mad: we have three spastic losers going around revving all over the place and the guards arent doing anything about them. Have the laws loosened up :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They quite possibly have cars all legal and hard to prove any wrong doing unless caught.

The guards can measure exhaust decibels and get them to sort that if its not legal.

If ya can't beat em join em.

Go out and pull up beside them and play classical music and offer them hugs they probably will leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

They quite possibly have cars all legal and hard to prove any wrong doing unless caught.

The guards can measure exhaust decibels and get them to sort that if its not legal.

If ya can't beat em join em.

Go out and pull up beside them and play classical music and over them hugs they probably will leave.

I thought about that, then the family wagon probably isnt cool :(

Kal El wrote: »
    I thought about that, then the family wagon probably isnt cool :(

Get some acid or brake fluid and rust the hood then your in. Take the hub caps off as steelies are in and mess with the camber if you want to go full retard.

Get some acid or brake fluid and rust the hood then your in. Take the hub caps off as steelies are in and mess with the camber if you want to go full retard.

This sounds like its going to be a lot of work. Where do they get the time :confused:

They don't work usually either so plenty of time.

Powered by the dole is a thing they go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Staggering the amount of doughnut skidmarks you see on bypasses up and down the country as you drive around. Ah well; I suppose they'll stop when they fully mature. If they survive that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I downloaded "fcuk that sh*t" and play it on the car stereo very loudly with the windows down when I meet boy racers.

They don't work usually either so plenty of time.

Powered by the dole is a thing they go by.

Nah two of them work in the local petrol station, which I live beside then the crew turns up at 10 and the revving, coolness begins. Colour me jealous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Nah two of them work in the local petrol station, which I live beside then the crew turns up at 10 and the revving, coolness begins. Colour me jealous :(

Could you not just have a chat with their boss and let him deal with them?

Every May bank holiday weekend the town of Killarney is infested with boy racers as they all descend upon the place for the Rally of the Lakes. They can be an absolute plague around and it just draws trouble every year. Every Garda and Gourier out in force..tis fantastic :/

• Advertisement

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Could you not just have a chat with their boss and let him deal with them?

Every May bank holiday weekend the town of Killarney is infested with boy racers as they all descend upon the place for the Rally of the Lakes. They can be an absolute plague around and it just draws trouble every year. Every Garda and Gourier out in force..tis fantastic :/

That sounds awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

some of them think they're living in downtown LA.....

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

It's funny because their cars are often older than myself and sound like our old lawnmower

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's all Altezza's around letterkenny/donegal and then you have the real rednecks who still have VW TDi's with pigeon pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bora's, everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

So back in the day the racer scene was all about, but finished thankfully due to all the labourers having less money and a clamp down on the cars modifications.
    But now there back :mad: we have three spastic losers going around revving all over the place and the guards arent doing anything about them. Have the laws loosened up :confused:

If there's anything worse than uppity labourers having disposable income I certainly can't think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

The majority of it is just for looks, none of them are truely modified in any way to increase performance. Loud exhaust, different wheels, spoiler (on FWD car) different air filter. Its posing plain and simple. The majority of them wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

CaptainR wrote: »
    The majority of it is just for looks,
    none of them are truely modified in any way to increase performance.
    Often true alright.
    Loud exhaust,
    A good one does increase performance, particularly on car models where the factory fitted exhaust is restrictive(usually down to cost cutting). It doesn't have to sound like the exhaust has entirely fallen off mind you.
    spoiler (on FWD car)
    You do realise that spoilers and/or wings can have an advantageous effect with front wheel drive cars? Particularly at higher speeds and in cornering.
    different air filter.
    Again like the exhaust, standard production cars can have quite restrictive systems. More air in + more fuel + more burnt fuel/air out = more efficient combustion and more performance.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

All I hear at night laying in bed...

Oh the inevitable cooooooooo or boooooooo sounds.

• Advertisement

I honestly thought modified exhausts were illegal. I presumed thats why they all disappeared around the same time

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I keep seeing this (I think it's an Astra) driving around my area with the words "You just got passed by a girl"... and "Powered by Fairydust" in decals on the back.

So damn cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Pointless calling the Guards, by the time they get here the racers are well gone.

Anyway they have important work to do catching people doing a few km's over the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd say very few if any of these lads, hanging around and revving as you say, are actually racers.
    Boys is a more acurate term.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pointless calling the Guards, by the time they get here the racers are well gone.

Anyway they have important work to do catching people doing a few km's over the speed limit.

Yeah, maybe they were just chasing the person with the gun to the driver's head forcing them to go over the speed limit. It must be someone else's fault right?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe they were just chasing the person with the gun to the driver's head forcing them to go over the speed limit. It must be someone else's fault right?

I've seen them parked up where the speed limit drops from 100 down to 50 and it's like shooting fish in a barrell, we're plagued here with boy racers turning the roads black and making noise all hours of the night and not one has ever been caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've seen them parked up where the speed limit drops from 100 down to 50 and it's like shooting fish in a barrell, we're plagued here with boy racers turning the roads black and making noise all hours of the night and not one has ever been caught.

These clowns are well organised, they have lookouts and listen in to Garda radio chatter so they know when to disappear. It's a bit like our ethnic cousins and their cultural sulky racing on public roads.

bazz26 wrote: »
    These clowns are well organised, they have lookouts and listen in to Garda radio chatter so they know when to disappear. It's a bit like our ethnic cousins and their cultural sulky racing on public roads.

I agree with you on that all right.

There not so much racers, more boy revvers. Surely the guards can do them on noise pollution :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wibbs wrote: »
    Often true alright. A good one does increase performance, particularly on car models where the factory fitted exhaust is restrictive(usually down to cost cutting). It doesn't have to sound like the exhaust has entirely fallen off mind you. You do realise that spoilers and/or wings can have an advantageous effect with front wheel drive cars? Particularly at higher speeds and in cornering. Again like the exhaust, standard production cars can have quite restrictive systems. More air in + more fuel + more burnt fuel/air out = more efficient combustion and more performance.

Wings are for downforce,useless on a fwd car. All they do is slow it down and make it light in the front,unstable at speed and worse for cornering.

Advertisement