Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting tired of these assistants?

I'm fed up having to say Hey google, It be great if you could personalize it and call it Bill or Betty.

Hey Doughal and googoo both work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

THE ALM wrote: »
    4 pack of Teckin plugs for £33

Lightening deal on now for a twin pack @ £18.09

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CVJYV3G?psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

So the Eufy just work of banging into things, and learning from that? Or do they have cameras built in?
    It doesn't learn anything. I have a Neato Botvac 70e from years ago which is smarter. Basically the Eufy is turned on and will keep going around randomly until the battery runs low and it has to return to base. The Neato would map the room and clean it in a systematic way and realize it was finished and return to base.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Lightening deal on now for a twin pack @ £18.09

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CVJYV3G?psc=1

Not as good value as the Teckin ones, but the TP Link smart plug with energy monitoring is £25 GBP on amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitoring-TP-Link-Required-Control-Anywhere/dp/B07GWWRK1C/ref=sr_1_49_sspa?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1548595776&sr=1-49-spons&keywords=smart+plug&psc=1

Sterling is rising in value, the amazon exchange rate is now 1.20 euro to 1 GPB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Not as good value as the Teckin ones, but the TP Link smart plug with energy monitoring is £25 GBP on amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitoring-TP-Link-Required-Control-Anywhere/dp/B07GWWRK1C/ref=sr_1_49_sspa?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1548595776&sr=1-49-spons&keywords=smart+plug&psc=1

Sterling is rising in value, the amazon exchange rate is now 1.20 euro to 1 GPB.

The teckin ones do have energy monitoring :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭deezell

........Sterling is rising in value, the amazon exchange rate is now 1.20 euro to 1 GPB.
    Which is why no-one in their right mind would take Amazon rate. Revolut currently 1.163, but it was that last November, it went to 1.10, and will go there again. It's probably a reaction to the hiccup in the backstop, who knows. I wouldn't buy a thing until it drops, Amazon will lose this market if there's a no deal brexit, as 23% VAT will apply instantly, plus the huge fixed charges for the assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

deezell wrote: »
    Which is why no-one in their right mind would take Amazon rate. Revolut currently 1.163, but it was that last November, it went to 1.10, and will go there again. It's probably a reaction to the hiccup in the backstop, who knows. I wouldn't buy a thing until it drops, Amazon will lose this market if there's a no deal brexit, as 23% VAT will apply instantly, plus the huge fixed charges for the assessment.

When I first start buying on amazon, I stupidly used to pay in euro! I agree with you on the excellent rates on revolut, I have an account with them now.

TBH I'm finding amazon.de/it/fr/es competitive enough (sometimes) with .co.uk. Always worth checking them out before buying on .co.uk. Get used to the way things are going to be in future too...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's already Irish VAT added by Amazon. You'll be hit for import duty, and the delivery company processing fee, on anything over €25.

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's already Irish VAT added by Amazon. You'll be hit for import duty, and the delivery company processing fee, on anything over €25.

After hard brexit Amazon would not add or collect vat on behalf of ROI, so it would added here, an post or dpd or whoever will add 23% to the goods, including on the transport costs, and in addition a handling charge of €10 +. Thats before they even consider customs and excise charges. Order some clothes from the UK now, say €5O inc vat ( about 41 + 23%) plus €5 for delivery, €55. Post hard brexit thats 41+5, then add vat, now its 56.58, plus €10 handling, but wait, its clothes, so add 12.5% duty, so its 63.37 plus 10 handling, €73.37 instead of €55. And that's only if the UK vendor is geared up to deduct UK VAT before sending. Use parcel Motel, and you'll pay VAT twice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

After hard brexit Amazon would not add or collect vat on behalf of ROI, so it would added here, an post or dpd or whoever will add 23% to the goods, including on the transport costs, and in addition a handling charge of €10 +. Thats before they even consider customs and excise charges. Order some clothes from the UK now, say €5O inc vat ( about 41 + 23%) plus €5 for delivery, €55. Post hard brexit thats 41+5, then add vat, now its 56.58, plus €10 handling, but wait, its clothes, so add 12.5% duty, so its 63.37 plus 10 handling, €73.37 instead of €55. And that's only if the UK vendor is geared up to deduct UK VAT before sending. Use parcel Motel, and you'll pay VAT twice.

Surely stuff shipped from within the EU even if it's sold on the old co.uk website will be exempt from this?

Can see a .ie address being used and stuff will be shipped either from the existing Dublin warehouse or elsewhere in the EU, now what that will do for pricing compared to the UK site today....

Existing Dublin warehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

23 %VAT applies already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Amazon are VAT registered in Ireland. And will continue to be.

We're both wrong. Amazon.com already ships here VAT and duty paid so Amazon.co.uk will be the same. But since the UK site will have to charge duty we'll have to use the continental sites and hope Google translate will let us know what we are buying, if our European cousins don't do an English version of their sites.

We're both wrong. Amazon.com already ships here VAT and duty paid so Amazon.co.uk will be the same. But since the UK site will have to charge duty we'll have to use the continental sites and hope Google translate will let us know what we are buying, if our European cousins don't do an English version of their sites.

Amazon.co.uk will be like amazon in the US. Anything from uk will need customs stickers. Uk might as well be China if there's a no deal brexit. Are you saying the price you see on Amazon.com includes duty into the EU? I doubt it. What about local users in the US?

Existing Dublin warehouse?

Some stuff comes from Dublin and not the UK, not a lot but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Paul Daniels lives on.

Maybe its finally time for amazon.ie, priced in euros. Amazon will not be able to operate a logistical hub based in the UK for Ireland/Eu unless it's part of a customs and trade agreement with the EU, allowing seamless transit of goods via the UK to EU countries, taxes and customs collected. With no deal, all bets are off. UK is back to scratch. No wonder UK businesses are going spare. Imagine a core foundation principle of the entire UK business model has fallen into the hands of the DUP. I'd trust Kim Jong to do a better job. DUP have as much business awareness as Maduro's USP in Venezuela.
    Oddly enough, the backstop if applied could create a huge buisness opportunity for Norn Iron, as a kind of business backdoor into the EU for distraught UK firms, if only the DUP could see it. Siege mentality and going down in flames is their thing though, so Spirit of the blitz, so Dunkirk. Maybe Arlene can conjure up a grant for the resulting ashes.
    Back to bargains boys, I'm on the hunt for a bargain Tado, just missed a €159 offer in the Netherlands from here, https://www.coolblue.nl
    We'll be looking to places like this a lot more after March.

Amazon.co.uk will be like amazon in the US. Anything from uk will need customs stickers. Uk might as well be China if there's a no deal brexit. Are you saying the price you see on Amazon.com includes duty into the EU? I doubt it. What about local users in the US?

The price on Amazon.com does not include duty or taxes. But when you go to pay you get the taxes added. I bought from the US site and got it straight to my door with all taxes and duties paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amazon stuff with Dublin post marks comes over from the UK distribution centres picked and packaged to be handed over to An Post. It's still reliant on the UK setup and single market

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Great bargains guys :rolleyes:

Great bargains guys :rolleyes:

Agreed. Here's the Hive Stat with or without HW control, Counter price in Heatmerchants only €166 (133 plus vat). You don't have to dress up as a plumber to buy.

http://www.heatmerchants.ie/v4/581ae913-e1fb-435e-a88b-ded312da5b38/uploads/BigDealDec18.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭droidman123

Maybe its finally time for amazon.ie, priced in euros. Amazon will not be able to operate a logistical hub based in the UK for Ireland/Eu unless it's part of a customs and trade agreement with the EU, allowing seamless transit of goods via the UK to EU countries, taxes and customs collected. With no deal, all bets are off. UK is back to scratch. No wonder UK businesses are going spare. Imagine a core foundation principle of the entire UK business model has fallen into the hands of the DUP. I'd trust Kim Jong to do a better job. DUP have as much business awareness as Maduro's USP in Venezuela.
    Oddly enough, the backstop if applied could create a huge buisness opportunity for Norn Iron, as a kind of business backdoor into the EU for distraught UK firms, if only the DUP could see it. Siege mentality and going down in flames is their thing though, so Spirit of the blitz, so Dunkirk. Maybe Arlene can conjure up a grant for the resulting ashes.
    Back to bargains boys, I'm on the hunt for a bargain Tado, just missed a €159 offer in the Netherlands from here, https://www.coolblue.nl
    We'll be looking to places like this a lot more after March.

Do coolblue not only deliver within the nederlands and belgium?

Do coolblue not only deliver within the nederlands and belgium?

Possibly, but I have family living there. Actually the Dutch are very parochial about online and automated shopping. Many of their big chains wont even let you pay unless your cards are drawn on a Dutch bank. You can't tap your card in the major supermarket chain if its not Dutch. You can buy a railway ticket all right, but not from the vending machines. Its an inconsistent policy. I could buy a bed in person in a store, but not online from the same store, and I can't by a sandwich without cash in the supermarket., but can pay in any restaurant (because food is already eaten?)
    Anyway, back to the bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Actually Amazon DE has English as a language option: https://www.amazon.de/?language=en_GB
    They've 5 listed in addition to native German. Haven't checked IT or ES but DE's been doing this for a while now, so handy!

Harvey Norman now also has the google mini down to €35...same as Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Two Eufy hoovers as deal of the day on amazon uk

Eufy RoboVac 11c, Smart Wi-Fi Robotic Vacuum Cleaner, High Suction, Weekly Cleaning Schedule, Self-Docking, Hard Floor and Thin Carpet https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0769G8BC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xUduCbYBEJK1K

Eufy [BoostIQ RoboVac 11S (Slim), Super-Thin, 1300Pa Strong Suction, Quiet, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner, Cleans Hard Floors to Medium-Pile Carpets https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BFP9TNH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gVduCbXZJXK7A

25% off each

Join Ireland Weather Network

I'm curious as to the provenance of these robo vacs, there seems to be a large amount of mechanically identical models on amazon, iRobot, iLife, Clymen, Bagotte to name a few. Is this just a cheap Chinese generic device, badged and bought in bulk by resellers. Is it any different or more reliable than this say, for €132
    https://www.gearbest.com/robot-vacuum/pp_615462.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'm curious as to the provenance of these robo vacs, there seems to be a large amount of mechanically identical models on amazon, iRobot, iLife, Clymen, Bagotte to name a few. Is this just a cheap Chinese generic device, badged and bought in bulk by resellers. Is it any different or more reliable than this say, for €132
    https://www.gearbest.com/robot-vacuum/pp_615462.html

Eufy are owned by Anker.... Which is good enough for me in terms of trust. As to whether the models are identical but rebadged, it wouldn't surprise me.

Advertisement