Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Nest Hello is currently €250 at Harvey Norman. Picked one up today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

liamog wrote: »
    Nest Hello is currently €250 at Harvey Norman. Picked one up today.

Any idea if this is still going? can't see it online anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭paulbok

Slightly off topic, but has anyone got a new smart TV in the sales that they could recommend?
    Looking for a 50-55" 4k led.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

paulbok wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but has anyone got a new smart TV in the sales that they could recommend?

Go to the Richersounds forum and chat to the lads there, they will sort you out. I got a LG 55SM8600 earlier in the year from them and I'm very happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

paulbok wrote: »

I bought recently, was in Arnott warehouse sale. 55" with soundbar etc. Think it was 550

I wanted LG as it will run an app in it most other TV's won't :D so was willing to pay the premium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I bought recently, was in Arnott warehouse sale. 55" with soundbar etc. Think it was 550

I wanted LG as it will run an app in it most other TV's won't :D so was willing to pay the premium

Curious, what's the app ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Curious, what's the app ?

https://siptv.app/news/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Shefwedfan wrote: »

You can get that on Samsung also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/connected-home-en/home-automation/lenovo-smart-clock-with-google-assistant.html

Seems like a bit of a bargain. Even though I had the original Nest Hub and gave that to the sister after getting the Max, I've ordered this, just to have a look. Maybe it'll find a home in the kitchen or bedroom.

Typical bloody bargains. Don't need it but got it anyway.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/connected-home-en/home-automation/lenovo-smart-clock-with-google-assistant.html

Seems like a bit of a bargain. Even though I had the original Nest Hub and gave that to the sister after getting the Max, I've ordered this, just to have a look. Maybe it'll find a home in the kitchen or bedroom.

Typical bloody bargains. Don't need it but got it anyway.

I have one of these as a bedroom clock, tasty little device - I just use it as an alarm clock and to play the radio. It's a bargain at that price

Spocker wrote: »
    I have one of these as a bedroom clock, tasty little device - I just use it as an alarm clock and to play the radio. It's a bargain at that price

I'd have it in the bedroom in a flash but the missus is an out and out Luddite. I might still try and sneak it in though or see if I can put it on the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,302 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd have it in the bedroom in a flash but the missus is an out and out Luddite. I might still try and sneak it in though or see if I can put it on the fridge.

Yep my misses won’t let any device with a microphone in the bedroom. Phones need to have Siri and Google disabled at night

ted1 wrote: »
    Yep my misses won’t let any device with a microphone in the bedroom. Phones need to have Siri and Google disabled at night

Oooh that's harsh. Mines not quite that tough thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

Can you view nest cameras on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

ted1 wrote: »

That alarm (and I think all Google/Nest home devices) has a switch at the back to turn off the mic. If you don't trust that then I wouldn't allow any device at all into the bedroom (all in the fridge maybe ala Edward Snowden?). And I'm not being sarky there btw, Snowden has a fair idea of what is possible, if phones in the fridge is good enough for him, its good enough for anyone requiring a high level of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭deezell

Off topic I know, but Samsung Smart TVs with the extra voice activated mini remote are listening all the time. When you buy new that remote has to be enabled to use, and a load of small print appears which authorises them to gather information. Keep it in a drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Most that are super paranoid about this stuff are probably holding a cheap Chinese android in their pocket all the time anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭MickH503

Spocker wrote: »

Is the clock display on all the time? Would it be too bright for bedroom at night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

MickH503 wrote: »
    Is the clock display on all the time? Would it be too bright for bedroom at night?

I know the Google home hubs dim to black and white clock in low light. I would assume this is the same

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

MickH503 wrote: »

The display is indeed on all of the time, but with adaptive brightness. It's black text on a white background during the day, light grey text on a black background at night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Home Hub back at £59 at Google store. Well worth the extra €25.

Home Hub back at £59 at Google store. Well worth the extra €25.

Yes and no 😃

I had it but couldn't use it in the house when our toddler was up as she'd find Youtube and watch videos. I can leave this out now as she won't be able to watch videos. Currently the Hub Max only comes out after she's gone to bed. I gave the Nest Hub to my sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes and no ðŸ˜႒

I had it but couldn't use it in the house when our toddler was up as she'd find Youtube and watch videos. I can leave this out now as she won't be able to watch videos. Currently the Hub Max only comes out after she's gone to bed. I gave the Nest Hub to my sister.
    Put it somewhere higher?

Put it somewhere higher?

Ha.... imagine the frustration that would cause. There would be constant complaints upon entering whatever room. Anywhoo tis grand, this unit seems like it'll fit the bill nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Are the hubs ever on offer? Bought the TV strips without realising it was needed. Don't seem to be any for sale on adverts. Or if anyone here has one spare going, will buy?

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Are the hubs ever on offer? Bought the TV strips without realising it was needed. Don't seem to be any for sale on adverts. Or if anyone here has one spare going, will buy?

Had some spare but sold them last week, they appear often on adverts and there’s often deals on Amazon with starter kits (that’s how I ended up with spares).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

GaGa21 wrote: »

I have one, pm me if you want it

• Advertisement

For anyone near a UK Argos store, put 3 TP Link smart plugs in your basket and it's reducing the price to £30 for the lot.

Not working on the IE site :(

Advertisement