Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭VUDuo2

I was looking for an indoor Hue motion sensor, £30 on Amazon UK, €43 in Argos or €36 in Arnotts.
    Some other Hue yokes marginally discounted in Arnotts

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

With the Hue bulbs as technically the switch has to be on the whole time in order for them to work, are they using power even when they are off (no light on) but switch still in on position?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

With the Hue bulbs as technically the switch has to be on the whole time in order for them to work, are they using power even when they are off (no light on) but switch still in on position?

Yes, they use less than 1w (about 0.7w) when powered on, but not lighting. Its a very minimal amount, and as someone with over 50 bulbs installed in the house, with them all 'powered on', it might be an extra €3-€5 per year in electricity costs..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok but if you are using non Phillips device then you will need a separate one? correct? thanks

Which non philips devices would you be talking about?

I'd stick with Hue for everything, Hue light bulbs, Hue motion sensors, Hue switches, etc. I find sticking all to the same brand gives you the best and most reliable experience.

If you mean using things like motion and door sensors for other uses then lighting, then yes, you need a different hub for those (e.g. Smartthings, etc.).

Of course you can still integrate them at a higher level using software, like IFTTT, etc.

When first starting out, almost everyone (including myself) thinks that the one hub to rule them all would make for the best experience. Most of us quickly find that this leads to a much poorer experience * and you are better off just using the dedicated hubs and integrating instead at a higher level.

* I'm not including the likes of Home Assistant, etc. in this, they can be great, but take time and expertise to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

bk wrote: »

I'd stick with Hue for everything, Hue light bulbs, Hue motion sensors, Hue switches, etc. I find sticking all to the same brand gives you the best and most reliable experience.

If you mean using things like motion and door sensors for other uses then lighting, then yes, you need a different hub for those (e.g. Smartthings, etc.).

Of course you can still integrate them at a higher level using software, like IFTTT, etc.

When first starting out, almost everyone (including myself) thinks that the one hub to rule them all would make for the best experience. Most of us quickly find that this leads to a much poorer experience * and you are better off just using the dedicated hubs and integrating instead at a higsher level.

* I'm not including the likes of Home Assistant, etc. in this, they can be great, but take time and expertise to set up.

I must say I found your post interesting.

At this point I have a mixture of Philips Hue, Alexa, Knockoff Chinese Plugs, Wyze cams and IFFT, etc all running around the house and it can be sometimes slow or non responding.

I am now thinking of just going all in iKea Tradaffi for my lighting, and getting philips hue on amazon discounts for my "colour" lights and strips since both use Zigbee. Also I have two of ikeas smart plugs and they are great for a tenner really and now homekit enabled I believe, so really keeping the options open.

And sticking with Wyze for cameras and sensors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

When first starting out, almost everyone (including myself) thinks that the one hub to rule them all would make for the best experience. Most of us quickly find that this leads to a much poorer experience * and you are better off just using the dedicated hubs and integrating instead at a higher level.

I have Sonoff plugs. I suppose I am struggling a little with the cost of the Phillips bulbs. Seem expensive but I might just have to bite the bullet on them and check it out.....just dont tell the CFO

I have Sonoff plugs. I suppose I am struggling a little with the cost of the Phillips bulbs. Seem expensive but I might just have to bite the bullet on them and check it out.....just dont tell the CFO

Try Ikea Tradaffi. It runs on Zigbee and is now homekit enabled too if you were inclined to go that way. 10euro for a bulb or plug is great

If you have the philips bridge already, you dont need their bridge.

flexcon wrote: »
    Try Ikea Tradaffi. It runs on Zigbee and is now homekit enabled too if you were inclined to go that way. 10euro for a bulb or plug is great

If you have the philips bridge already, you dont need their bridge.

Does it integrate with Alexa? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lots of good smart bulbs that use WiFi out there. They don’t require a hub and seem to have better response times than hue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Does it integrate with Alexa? :-)

Yes.

I have found the best setup is Hue hub and accessories but where you don't need colour bulbs the IKEA ones slot in fine. Some people have posted that they are a bit laggy but I haven't experienced this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

https://home.google.com/promotions?utm_campaign=GS104125&utm_source=app&utm_term=support&utm_content=AU

I just saw this in the Android forum. Free Nest Mini if you're a Youtube/Play Music subscriber. I did not get a notification from Google. It seems legit.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It is legit, mine arrived yesterday.

RunDMC wrote: »
    https://home.google.com/promotions?utm_campaign=GS104125&utm_source=app&utm_term=support&utm_content=AU

I just saw this in the Android forum. Free Nest Mini if you're a Youtube/Play Music subscriber. I did not get a notification from Google. It seems legit.

R
    It is legit, mine arrived yesterday.

Interesting I am a paid Irish customer past 2 years and it says not eligible!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

flexcon wrote: »
    Interesting I am a paid Irish customer past 2 years and it says not eligible!

My brother received the offer today

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

As far as I'm aware they won't work with Hue.

TitianGerm wrote: »

Work with Alexa, I havent Hue yet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They work with Alexa , google, IFTT and the smart life app ( same as teckin smart plugs). Why would you need them to work with Hue?

Work with Alexa, I havent Hue yet

I don't think I'd spend £10 on one of those. I'd invest in a premium product that will last and has good support.

ted1 wrote: »
    They work with Alexa , google, IFTT and the smart life app ( same as teckin smart plugs). Why would you need them to work with Hue?

I thought Shefwedfan had Hue stuff already.

• Advertisement

I thought Shefwedfan had Hue stuff already.

Nah discussing buying, but I have sonoff plugs which I can set up using app and then just push control to Alexa and sorted

I guess with bulbs it would be same

I have read review of pcmag etc and not so sure the premium products are that massively better

All I want is a bulb I can turn on off and maybe auto turn on with motion detectors

I Bought solar pv today so could do with saving a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Nah discussing buying, but I have sonoff plugs which I can set up using app and then just push control to Alexa and sorted

I guess with bulbs it would be same

I have read review of pcmag etc and not so sure the premium products are that massively better

All I want is a bulb I can turn on off and maybe auto turn on with motion detectors

I spent 7k on solar pv so could do with saving a few quid

Try yeelight works great for me for the last 3 years

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They are, the entire Hue ecosystem is seriously impressive. Easily the best Home Automation ecosystem on the market. Supports connectivity with pretty much every other device and service out there. For instance, my Hue lights work with my Yale alarm, if my alarm goes off, all the Hue lights start flashing red.

Their range of products is massive and second to non. And the quality in terms of colour temps, etc. is the best.

Having said all that, if you just want one or two simple bulbs I'm sure others will work ok too.

I tried some other cheap bulbs (ikea), they are in the trash now, happily replaced by Hue bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

My wife also received a code from Youtube, and ordered her's for free even though we're on the same family plan. My daughter also got a code, but we haven't tried it yet.

R

They are, the entire Hue ecosystem is seriously impressive. Easily the best Home Automation ecosystem on the market. Supports connectivity with pretty much every other device and service out there. For instance, my Hue lights work with my Yale alarm, if my alarm goes off, all the Hue lights start flashing red.

Their range of products is massive and second to non. And the quality in terms of colour temps, etc. is the best.

Having said all that, if you just want one or two simple bulbs I'm sure others will work ok too.

I tried some other cheap bulbs (ikea), they are in the trash now, happily replaced by Hue bulbs.

Yes the hue system is better. If you invest in the system and the flashing red on the Yale I seen and really like

But if just comparing a bulb to a Philip bulb they are not hugely different to the non brand.

I need to decide if I want to go down the whole system route and then will go hue, but at the moment if I can just turn on/off a few bulbs I can use non brand and Alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

How are you finding the Yale alarm? Was looking into it. Have you bothered with their smart lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Did you have to get a electrician to disable and uninstall your old alarm?. I like the idea of the Yale alarm but I wouldn't know how to disconnect the old wired alarm and have it taken off the wall etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Did you have to get a electrician to disable and uninstall your old alarm?. I like the idea of the Yale alarm but I wouldn't know how to disconnect the old wired alarm and have it taken off the wall etc

No you wouldn't.

Leave it all there if ever you were to return.

To disable you would need to pull the fused spur if fitted and remove the battery so it won't continue to sound.

If your original alarm is working would you not consider upgrading to a more modern wired as it's mostly already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Is it a standard Yale alarm, something along the lines of:
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/yale-premium-alarm/7338x
    ?

Thanks,
    RN

• Advertisement

Bradz213 wrote: »
    How are you finding the Yale alarm? Was looking into it. Have you bothered with their smart lock?

I'm pretty happy with it. But it isn't perfect, it has pros and cons versus a full professional system. Main cons being no 3g backup comms channel and no shock sensors.

However I think it is very good value for money. However I'd say once a system comes along that ticks all the boxes, I'll upgrade then, but I'm pretty happy to use this for a few years until more smart alarm systems come out and mature.

No, I haven't gotten their smart lock. I don't think it would fit my home.

I just left my old HKC system in place and just don't use it. Probably not the prettiest with two PIR's in each spot, but to be honest I never notice and the missus fortunately is pretty geeky too and doesn't care about it.

You could remove the old system if you want, but I'd leave the cables in place, could be useful for future use.
    Is it a standard Yale alarm, something along the lines of:
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/yale-premium-alarm/7338x
    ?

Thanks,
    RN

No, I've got the Yale Smart Alarm:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-Smart-Living-Home-Alarm/dp/B01I549JFO/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=yale+smart+alarm&qid=1576781587&sr=8-6

There is a newer version of this now, looks more attractive and has some extra features:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-Smart-Alarm-Works-Amazon/dp/B07FR78X16/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=yale+smart+alarm&qid=1576781587&sr=8-5

The alarm at Screwfix looks to be quiet an old fashioned system, I wouldn't recommend it. 433MHz wireless devices and phone dialer rather then modern app monitoring.
    If your original alarm is working would you not consider upgrading to a more modern wired as it's mostly already there.

I considered upgrading my old HKC 812, however it was going to cost at least 3 times as much and involves ongoing monitoring fees. It is certainly an option worth considering, but I wasn't happy with the idea of spending relatively so much on a system that is sort of outdated. Not that Yale is perfect either, but at least as a stopgap for a few years, it is much cheaper. And with the money I saved I also bought a bunch of IP security cams.

I don't mind spending €1000 on a professional installed wired alarm system, but I want one that isn't already pretty outdated, one that I'd be happy with for at least 10 years. Now that Yale's parent company owns HKC, hopefully we will eventually see a system that combines the best of both systems.

Advertisement