Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do women get vertical lip wrinkles more easily than men?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Ah we're not in the 50s. Soap dries out your face completely.

That's my view but another poster had just mentioned something along those lines. If not soap, a cheap facewash. I was paraphrasing them.

A friend of mine did the same and it's starting to show on her skin badly now she's turned 31.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That's my view but another poster had just mentioned something along those lines. If not soap, a cheap facewash. I was paraphrasing them.

A friend of mine did the same and it's starting to show on her skin badly now she's turned 31.

It depends on the skin type to be honest. Not everyone needs a high maintenance regime. Normal to slightly oily skin may do very well with just a regular old facewash. Oily skin needs a bit more attention, as does dry. Dry skins not that common, it's usually dehydration and people confuse the two

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have never washed my face with anything other than a cheap bar of soap, and I just got ID'ed again. I am 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I have never washed my face with anything other than a cheap bar of soap, and I just got ID'ed again. I am 35.

You don't look under 21 if you're 35. You just don't , I can guarantee you that. If you got checked for ID it was for some other reason

wakka12 wrote: »
    You don't look under 21 if you're 35. You just don't , I can guarantee you that. If you got checked for ID it was for some other reason

No, I don't believe I do. I imagine I generally look dodgy. And that some of the people who ID me are morons. I don't look anything like 35 though.

*also, your post reeks of jealousy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No, I don't believe I do. I imagine I generally look dodgy. And that some of the people who ID me are morons. I don't look anything like 35 though.

*also, your post reeks of jealousy.

Yeh so jealous of your young looks at my ripe age of 20. Im just keeping it realll

I don't know you or what you look like at all so its nothing personal,obviously. Just ,nobody who's 35 looks under 21

Yeh so jealous of your young looks at my ripe age of 20. Im just keeping it realll

I don't know you or what you look like at all so its nothing personal,obviously. Just ,nobody who's 35 looks under 21

At 20, you are still wiping off bits of placenta.

Like I said, I dont think I look under 21. I just don't look anywhere close to my age, despite washing my face with soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

You don't inherit 'good ageing' , ageing is basically just collagen loss which leads to sagging skin, decrease in fat in the mid face and temples and eye area(all places that show youth), bone density loss, increased body fat in jaw/mouth and rest of body. What genes would determine these do you think? They're relatively constant for all people, thats why most people look their age. Some people just look better than others as some people stay in shape as they age and also it depends on the level of sun exposure you've had in your life, smoking, exercise,hair and skin care etc. Black people for instance age better due to their skin being darker and thicker , protecting from sun. Theres no 'good ageing' gene when you break it down like this. And to answer your question, men have a slightly thicker skin layer naturally which makes them age slower.

Men are also naturally darker than average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I've already started on the fillers. I'll be young until I'm dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It depends on the skin type to be honest. Not everyone needs a high maintenance regime. Normal to slightly oily skin may do very well with just a regular old facewash. Oily skin needs a bit more attention, as does dry. Dry skins not that common, it's usually dehydration and people confuse the two

That's what I was trying to say. Someone said look to your mother to see how you'll age but my mother is one of those who only need to wash their face. She rarely bothered to moisturise. She'd have got the very rare spot. She's in her fifties and still looks decades younger. On the other hand a friend who just didn't believe in using face cream was fine until she turned 30/31 and is looking very lined now. Not everyone can get away with the bare minimum but some can and do.
    I have to moisturise every day, I have to drink plenty of water and I have to avoid any face products with foaming agents or astringent ingredients. My mother and I have very different skin although I also look younger than I am. I seem to be very prone to dehydration which like you said, causes/ worsens the tendency toward dryness for me.
    My grannie had the same kind of skin as me and she encouraged me to moisturise from the age of around 9.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

I've already started on the fillers. I'll be young until I'm dead!
    What are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

That's what I was trying to say. Someone said look to your mother to see how you'll age but my mother is one of those who only need to wash their face. She rarely bothered to moisturise. She'd have got the very rare spot. She's in her fifties and still looks decades younger. On the other hand a friend who just didn't believe in using face cream was fine until she turned 30/31 and is looking very lined now. Not everyone can get away with the bare minimum but some can and do.
    I have to moisturise every day, I have to drink plenty of water and I have to avoid any face products with foaming agents or astringent ingredients. My mother and I have very different skin although I also look younger than I am. I seem to be very prone to dehydration which like you said, causes/ worsens the tendency toward dryness for me.
    My grannie had the same kind of skin as me and she encouraged me to moisturise from the age of around 9.

My skin would be on the drier side. Not severely so but to the point it can get "rough".

The skin on my shins gets extremely dry but I'm brutal and only moisturise when it gets to the point I need it. Once it's sorted I get lazy again. I know I should be better at that kind of thing because my legs are lovely and shiny after a week of being good about it.

The skin on the rest of my body is extremely "soft".

I had a quick google and it seems that scientists have found an ageing gene but are still investigating the extent to which this would make you loom younger/older. It does make sense that there would be a genetic component.

I also still get asked for ID more often than I'd have expected at my age. I'm well aware I don't look 21 but I'm fairly confident that no one would bat an eyelid if I said I was 7/8 years younger than I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I would have thought that Men tend to age better than women in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I don't agree.

I think men appear to age better because they don't tend to desperately try to fight it.

If you work with your age, rather than against it, you'll generally look way better whether you're 21, 51 or 91.

It's when you try to cover up with tons of make up and bad hair dye that things start to look bad and I think that's where a lot of women just totally over do it.

There's nothing wrong with being a bit older. You just have to embrace it and I think in general guys are better at that because, for now anyway, we aren't quite as caught up in trying to look like 15 year old half starved fashion models that some cult of magazines thinks is some kind of look to be strived towards.

Also I think women dress and make up largely for other women - it gets competitive and it's driven by evil fashionista types and then many blame men for wanting them to go for these unrealistic body images. Most of the time men have very different views of what's hot to women and if isn't so skinny you would risk taking an eye out on a rib bone.

Keep it classy and stylish and look good for you age. That doesn't mean desperately trying to hide every wrinkle.

I've been lucky. My skin tends to be dehydratred but I look after it well. My cheeks are plump enough to give me a more youthful appearance. I'm in my thirties and have been told I look younger but I take it all with a pinch of salt. My sense is that I look like a woman in her thirties which is cool because that's what I am :)

Regarding fillers and botox and the like I don't think they are for me. Mind you if my face turns in to a wrinkly auld paper bag in my forties then who knows.

Advertisement