Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do women get vertical lip wrinkles more easily than men?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

kneemos wrote: »
    Think I heard somewhere it was down to exfoliating,men do it naturally when they shave.
    No. Exfoliating removes excess oil, dead skin, and helps keep skin clear and less congested. This means when you put on your moisturiser it's not sitting on a layer of dead skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

No. Exfoliating removes excess oil, dead skin, and helps keep skin clear and less congested. This means when you put on your moisturiser it's not sitting on a layer of dead skin.

My GF often says she's getting wrinkles (she's not). I just laugh, I know what her mother looks like. We'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Because they're scowling all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Flimpson wrote: »
    Hmm... No moisturiser means dry, "tight" skin which helps it lose its elasticity, so while I agree moisturiser does not stop the ageing process, no moisturising helps accommodate it sooner.

What has stood my skin in good stead above all is keeping in the shade/using a SPF when it's sunny. And moisturising daily (an expensive moisturiser is of course not necessary).

See I dunno. It's all anecdotal but my experience is different.

And this goes back to the "genes" thing too.

My mam looks much younger than her age, she has really good skin. My nan is the same. I also have good skin and apparently look quite a bit younger than I am.

The one thing we all have in common, aside from our familial link, is that we actually don't use products on our skin. I use hot water and a face cloth, my mam has always sworn that's the best thing of all, I also maybe use a face wash if I've gotten one cheap in boots recently or something, but other than that no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Probably that stupid pout face some of them do!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

You'd wonder actually if using makeup and so many cosmetics could actually be having the opposite to the intended effect?

Your skin has a lot of natural oils and ability to keep itself in good shape. When you start plastering it in the latest gimmick cream or tons of makeup it has to have some impact.

In general, lads have a very different skincare regime - just giving the face a quick rinse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ei6jNYl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Those wrinkles are usually from smoking. It's rotten.

If your mam doesn't smoke it could be that she's just really crap at blow jobs.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

kneemos wrote: »
    Think I heard somewhere it was down to exfoliating,men do it naturally when they shave.

There is a beauty trend or practice called facial planing which is basically shaving for women, using a special razor, to maintain the quality of the skin of the face. I think Liz Taylor was one of the famous women who used to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Those wrinkles are usually from smoking. It's rotten.

If your mam doesn't smoke it could be that she's just really crap at blow jobs.

This is an excellent point. You should ask your dad and report back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There is a beauty trend or practice called facial planing which is basically shaving for women, using a special razor, to maintain the quality of the skin of the face. I think Liz Taylor was one of the famous women who used to do it.
    Shaving seems to make a diff alright. Plus if men don't shave the hair stops reduces UV damage by blocking light. Plus men have thicker skin with more collagen.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

wakka12 wrote: »
    You don't inherit 'good ageing'
    But you do, to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JJEP

Less collagen in skin perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

My mam looks much younger than her age, she has really good skin. My nan is the same. I also have good skin and apparently look quite a bit younger than I am.

The one thing we all have in common, aside from our familial link, is that we actually don't use products on our skin. I use hot water and a face cloth, my mam has always sworn that's the best thing of all, I also maybe use a face wash if I've gotten one cheap in boots recently or something, but other than that no.
    Yeah i reckon there has to be a genetic component.

The point about exfoliating is a good one. This smooths the skin and improves absorption of moisturiser/oil.

Make-up having an ageing effect? I dunno. I don't wear foundation, just tinted moisturiser the odd time, but I'd have thought the way it clogs up pores creates oil, which while that causes spots, would keep the skin moisturised?

Flimpson wrote: »
    Yeah i reckon there has to be a genetic component.

The point about exfoliating is a good one. This smooths the skin and improves absorption of moisturiser/oil.

Make-up having an ageing effect? I dunno. I don't wear foundation, just tinted moisturiser the odd time, but I'd have thought the way it clogs up pores creates oil, which while that causes spots, would keep the skin moisturised?

Leaving makeup on over night or constantly wearing full coverage foundation or fake tan on your face can most certainly cause breakouts, especially when it's not cleansed off properly.

I have a product that you use after you cleanse your skin and exfoliate that you "push" into your skin and it acts like a magnet and when you bring it back to the surface of the skin, it pulls all the manky stuff out. I use it about every two weeks and it's very gross in that your skin is SPOTLESS before using it and then when you remove it with cotton, the cotton will be orange from tan and makeup left in pores.

Some people with certain types of skin will react differently to makeup. Oily skinned ladies tend to wear the heavier coverage makeup which in turn makes their skin worse and so they need the full coverage even more.

A normal skin can't cope with too much cleansing.

A dry skin needs a rich cleanser.

So what is one persons magic product could cause a complete breakout on someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What do vertical lip wrinkles even look like? Or puppet lines?
    Ok I Googled, I think they're most common in smokers.

Some people with certain types of skin will react differently to makeup. Oily skinned ladies tend to wear the heavier coverage makeup which in turn makes their skin worse and so they need the full coverage even more.

A dry skin needs a rich cleanser.

So what is one persons magic product could cause a complete breakout on someone else.
    I'd have thought I have dry skin, but I get spots too... about two or three a week. But I have dandruff, waxy ears and seem to get a build up of dead skin cells easily.

Outside of my perfect diet and basic face wash regime, I don't do anything to tackle this.

Well dry is lacking oil
    Dehydrated is lacking moisture
    Flaking skin can be dehydrated instead of dry.
    Dry is a skin type dehydrated is a skin problem.

So if you're putting products for dry skin on an oily/dehydrated skin you're putting more oil on already oily skin which is too rich and your skin is still dehydrated

Ok I Googled, I think they're most common in smokers.
    but we'll never really know if it's because of the pursing effect of the skin when 'sucking' in the smoke, or the effect of the cigarette carcinogens.

The sucking of of smoke, combined with TMBs all adds up I guess!

paralysed wrote: »
    but we'll never really know if it's because of the pursing effect of the skin when 'sucking' in the smoke, or the effect of the cigarette carcinogens.

The sucking of of smoke, combined with TMBs all adds up I guess!

Do male smokers seem to get those lines?

I don't think it is cigarette related. A friend whose wife has them pointed out that she has never smoked. No female smoker I know, has them. I suspect it has more to do with men typically having thicker/oilier skin and hair follicles there. Women only have very fine vellus hair there

I think women are more expressive when they speak. I don't think many men form an 'O' with their lips to say ''Ohhh!'' .

Your skin sounds dehydrated to me. If you naturally have dry skin you should compensate with extra fluids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nope. There was 15 months between my 1st and 2nd time, and probably won't do it again (3rd time) til April or May. Had it done last November. If it's something you do infrequently you can't tell anythings there, everything just looks better.

It's completely true
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTM5MTUzOTg2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjg1MDYwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'd have thought I have dry skin, but I get spots too... about two or three a week. But I have dandruff, waxy ears and seem to get a build up of dead skin cells easily.

Outside of my perfect diet and basic face wash regime, I don't do anything to tackle this.

Stop scratching and clean out your muffs.

I've no wrinkles at all yet and I only had Botox in my forehead
    Are plastic surgeons willing to give botox to young people who don't have wrinkles? You just get it in your forehead though? and not above the lip?

Is your forehead completely paralysed so? Can you you express emotions with your forehead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I always associate lip wrinkles with sourness..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Its not why any of you look young. The many factors that contribute to a face looking more aged is soo much more than just the skin, bone loss and fat loss in certain areas and fat gain in others show your age a lot more than any loss of skin elasticity does. Thats why botox doesn't really make people look much younger, just more strecthed.. Obviously skin is a big factor too but its silly to think that your face looks younger than others simply due to the products you do/dont use

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its not why any of you look young. The many factors that contribute to a face looking more aged is soo much more than just the skin, bone loss and fat loss in certain areas and fat gain in others show your age a lot more than any loss of skin elasticity does. Thats why botox doesn't really make people look much younger, just more strecthed.. Obviously skin is a big factor too but its silly to think that your face looks younger than others simply due to the products you do/dont use

In addition to botox, collagen fillers are injected to replace lost fat on the cheeks.

The products you use make a significant difference. If you look after your skin it will weather the years much better than if you don't.

People with very oily skin don't need as much product as very dry skinned people do, which is why some women can get away with soap and water for a while.

In addition to botox, collagen fillers are injected to replace lost fat on the cheeks.

The products you use make a significant difference. If you look after your skin it will weather the years much better than if you don't.

People with very oily skin don't need as much product as very dry skinned people do, which is why some women can get away with soap and water for a while.

Ah we're not in the 50s. Soap dries out your face completely.

Are plastic surgeons willing to give botox to young people who don't have wrinkles? You just get it in your forehead though? and not above the lip?

Is your forehead completely paralysed so? Can you you express emotions with your forehead?

Nope not paralysed at all. I got it at 25 and 27. At 27 I had lip fillers done too. I'd probably do that again. I didn't go to a plastic surgeon. I went to a cosmetic dr. They won't tell you where you need it, they ask where bothers you most. it's injected into a muscle. A lot of dentists do Botox now too.

Nope not paralysed at all. I got it at 25 and 27. At 27 I had lip fillers done too. I'd probably do that again. I didn't go to a plastic surgeon. I went to a cosmetic dr. They won't tell you where you need it, they ask where bothers you most. it's injected into a muscle. A lot of dentists do Botox now too.

The good ones do the natural look so you don't look frozen. They only slightly freeze problem muscle repetition. I think the OP mistakes plastic surgeons with doctors :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lots of women smoke as a dietary aid - number one thing smoking gives you apart from cancer, bad breath and infertility is... wrinkles around your gob from all the puffing

Advertisement