Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish movies/TV for a foreigner?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Yeah Strumpet City maybe. Also anyone remember Hands?

Hands is a classic. Also anything with Dick Warner sailing up canals :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Gold is pretty good too. Sort of a gentle comedy, although James Nesbit's 80's style motivation videos in it are hilarious.

Do they need to be set in Ireland or just Irish film makers? Lenny Abrahamson's Frank is an interesting one and then you've got Room from last year too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Story of Ireland bbc presented by fergal Keane
    Story of Ireland from our ancient ancestors through the ages from introduction to Christianity to the Vikings to the Anglo Saxon French Scandinavian Normans to the Brits to modern day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Gold is pretty good too. Sort of a gentle comedy, although James Nesbit's 80's style motivation videos in it are hilarious.

Do they need to be set in Ireland or just Irish film makers? Lenny Abrahamson's Frank is an interesting one and then you've got Room from last year too.
    Thematically about Ireland or Irish people I guess, Frank is close enough

Smalltown that was on TV3 recently is an exceptional piece of TV. The director, Gerard Barrett, has a couple of films too, Pilgrim Hill, a pretty slow and realistically depressing look at the life of an isolated rural farmer. Glassland is set in Dublin and is about a young man trying to look after his alcoholic mother.

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »
    Hands is a classic. Also anything with Dick Warner sailing up canals :)

Yeah Waterways was another very good one, it's on my list

Smalltown that was on TV3 recently is an exceptional piece of TV. The director, Gerard Barrett, has a couple of films too, Pilgrim Hill, a pretty slow and realistically depressing look at the life of an isolated rural farmer. Glassland is set in Dublin and is about a young man trying to look after his alcoholic mother.

Been meaning to watch Pilgrim Hill myself for a while now, I'll give the others a look too, nothing beats a bit of depression every now and again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Patser

Once

Sure that has foreigners learning English from Fair city in it too

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My Left Foot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

The Lobster - staring Colin Farrell & Rachel Weisz

reminded me of some 1980's RTE type stuff bought from the eastern bloc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

War of the Buttons is ****ing quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Bosco.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

"The Dead" (1987, directed by John Huston) is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Goldfish Memories

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Pavee Lackeen.

I win the thread! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

John Huston The dead its based on a short story by James Joyce win all round, if they are in to culture and would be good for the basis of a discussion of kitsch and sentimentality in a film like Love actuley verses the permanence in The dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think Ryan's Daughter is a good movie to show someone who is new to the country and wants to get an idea of our history and be entertained at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Fatal Deviation...a shining example of what Itish cinema can achieve and Mikey Graham's greatest work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nobody suggest Taffin yet? Best Irish film ever

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

No mention of Love/Hate yet?

In the Name of the Father
    Wind that Shakes the Barley
    In Bruges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Like others mentioned Strumpet City.

Also: Pure Mule, Pathways to Freedom (a two season Irish sitcom), Love/Hate for Dublin gangster stuff, My Left Foot as someone suggested, some episodes of Come West Along the Road (TG4 version is called Siar An Bothar) - full editions like the Bothy Band, Planxty and De Danann gigs. Atlantean, Ashling Gheal - Two great RTE late seventies early eighties TV series in Irish but with English subtitles giving Irish music a refreshing artistic landscape, such as sessions on a Galway Hooker in Galway Bay and other locations.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Walking Ned & Holy water haven't been mentioned. Very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Walking Ned & Holy water haven't been mentioned. Very funny.

Did you see what the op said about father Ted. The poster has kinda says they are dour cultured intellectual Russians with not a lot in the way of a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

disco pigs, waking ned, mickybo and me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

The wind that shakes the barley or maybe Hunger, the most brutal and hard hitting film I've ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just remembered a few others, Jimmy's Hall - from Wiki: 'Jimmy's Hall is a 2014 Irish-French-British drama film directed by Ken Loach. The film tells the story of the deportation to the United States in 1933 of Jimmy Gralton, who led the Revolutionary Workers' Group, a precursor of the Irish Communist Party, in Leitrim. It stars Irish actor Barry Ward, along with Simone Kirby, Jim Norton and Denise Gough. The title refers to a rural dance hall built by Gralton.'
    So:
    Jimmy's Hall

Garage - Pat Shortt in his finest role.

Angela's Ashes. (Poverty in Limerick in the mid 1930s)

Poitin (1980) - RTE Film in Irish with English subtitles with Donal McCann.

The Treaty (Brendan Gleeson playing Michael Collins)

Dancing at Lughnasa.

Philomena.

Ballroom of Romance (similar to Jimmy's Hall) with Brenda Fricker.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Archeron

Grabbers

Archeron wrote: »
    Grabbers

Oh yes, Grabbers is brilliant. Proper funny film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They won't last 5 minutes in Ireland If they haven't seen Father Ted. My experience of Eastern Europeans is that they love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

His & Hers is lovely. And Older Than Ireland.

One Million Dubliners too - especially when you know the story behind it.

And as long as you tell them it's not what Ireland is really like - The Quiet Man :D

Advertisement