Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the GAA drop playing the national Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The famous Rackard brothers were Prods.

Plenty of famous Prods associated with Republican and Gaa.

Sam Maguire, another great Protestant man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the term is Protestant not Prods

should we call catholics... Cats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

fryup wrote: »

Id be only offending myself ;)

Chill out and relax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The 9 people who voted yes should be pushed out to sea on a boat and one bottle of water between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Berserker wrote: »
    Correct. The GAA has an awful lot to do to improve how it is viewed by Unionists. They should rename all of the facilities that are named after Irish republican terrorists and also issue a statement condemning Irish republican terrorism and clubs who have named their facilities after them.

This thread is about the GAA. Let's focus on them, for a change.

So why not just let both do what they do?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Its just the start really for an organisation on the slow downhill. Gaa wont even be the national sport of country in 40-50 years.

Love the Gaa but they're times when I wonder is the greed they had in past coming back to them.

From playing point of view the games have never been stronger but the downhill spiral of crowd attendences is a worry and its more worrying when you consider that Dublin have never been stronger and they always get full house

The drop in attendances are mainly because Dublin aren't always getting full houses anymore! In fairness the Leinster championship is more or less a procession now so can't blame them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Yes. (prersuming they wish to fully include both traditions on the island)?

Forward thinking fella Aogan.

Backward thinking fella Paddy.

The GAA would also need to rename some of their grounds which may offend some people North of the border. The dropping of "Sinne Fianna Fáil" is a start though ... that is, prersuming they wish to fully include both traditions on the island?

No let's leave it as it is, we're not here to please Loyalists and Orange Men or change our traditions to suit them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Berserker wrote: »
    Protestants hardly play the sport, although this is probably one of the reasons why. Maybe they should do away with it.

Can you provide us with stats to back up that claim?
    It is just uncomfortable for Protestants or people from a Unionist background having to stand for the Irish national anthem in what is a sport. If GAA wants to attract more Protestants/Unionists to play GAA, then perhaps that aspect should be done away with.

Surely it makes sense that to attract more players from a different background, you give some things up to be inclusive?

Yes. (prersuming they wish to fully include both traditions on the island)?

Forward thinking fella Aogan.

Backward thinking fella Paddy.

The GAA would also need to rename some of their grounds which may offend some people North of the border. The dropping of "Sinne Fianna Fáil" is a start though ... that is, prersuming they wish to fully include both traditions on the island?

No let's leave it as it is, we're not here to please Loyalists and Orange Men or change our traditions to suit them.
    If GAA was more open, I would probably end up supporting a team which I feel represents my background. More customers means more wealth, what is the issue? I would then get into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Once they get their claws into you they won't let go.

• Advertisement

If GAA was more open, I would probably end up supporting a team which I feel represents my background. More customers means more wealth, what is the issue? I would then get into the game.

Renaming grounds because Loyalists don't like it or dropping our National Anthem is not something that should be considered.

We don't ask you to stop marching on the 12th or celebrating the Battle of the Boyne were Catholics got their asses kicked by King Billy.

Renaming grounds because Loyalists don't like it or dropping our National Anthem is not something that should be considered.

We don't ask you to stop marching on the 12th or celebrating the Battle of the Boyne were Catholics got their asses kicked by King Billy.
    But GAA is a sport and should be inclusive. Why the nationalism with GAA if the aim is to get more followers/players from different backgrounds.

But GAA is a sport and should be inclusive. Why the nationalism with GAA if the aim is to get more followers/players from different backgrounds.

If someone has a genuine interest in the sport it's not going to kill them to hear the Anthem for a few minutes before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

slightly ignorant that post....

why wouldn't they wear County jersey with Nationalist colours?? after all the vast majority of Protestants in the republic see themselves as irish you know

Maybe I should have added in Border Counties in my post to clarify things because I can assure you that a lot of Protestants in those Counties would have nothing to do with the GAA or anything Irish related, perhaps that is probably more true of the 70/80s but as I said this has changed in more recent times.

Growing up, I often often heard the saying about certain areas being a real "bitter" area, meaning that the Protestants in that are had very strong Unionist views, re marching, GAA, Irish culture. Being close to Northern Ireland, many felt more in line with their Northern brethern.

Maybe Protestants from more Southern Counties viewed things slightly differently but in the border Counties, there was always a little more tension.

Perhaps someone can make a fool of me now and say this was never true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Renaming grounds because Loyalists don't like it or .......
    I'm not sure that its only 'Loyalists' that are offended by grounds named in honour of people who attempted to/or did actually kill people. I would imagine that many people across the divide feel uneasy about the names of some GAA grounds up North, named in honour of people who tried to (or did)? actually kill people from the other tradition :(

I don't know much about Loyalist marches, and which are allowed or which are not? (Loyalism is not my bag) but I get the impression from the media that many marches have been stopped, curtailed, or even banned in recent years? not that this has anything to do with the GAA, or does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I wouldn't mind if it was scrapped, or at least reserved for big finals, county/provincial/all-Ireland etc, instead of played before every single game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I don't know much about Loyalist marches, and which are allowed or which are not? (Loyalism is not my bag) but I get the impression from the media that many marches have been stopped, curtailed, or even banned in recent years? not that this has anything to do with the GAA, or does it?

Your the first Unionist that I know that is not aware of the 12th July & the Ulster/loyalist marching season, Come on lord sutch stop it.

And what about :D the names of streets & areas, parks with names such as Royal/Victoria/Albert/Elizabeth etc

And is it through that Unionists only drink Orange juice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Your the first Unionist that I know that is not aware of the 12th July & the Ulster/loyalist marching season, Come on lord sutch stop it.

Like many people in the South I don't pay close attention to the marching season up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You're wrong about the Rackard's religious persuasion, and at the end of the day the GAA with all its baggage does not sit well with many southern 'Prods' let alone Northern Ireland ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

And what about :D the names of streets & areas, parks with names such as Royal/Victoria/Albert/Elizabeth etc

What about their names? They were planned, paid for, built and therefore named after British figures of note. Much, much better than the rubbish that has been built in Ireland since, you have to admit.

It isn't that difficult to lose track of the 12th in you live down here. With the exception of the customary picture of an Irish flag burning on a bonfire in some rough estate in Belfast, the 12th doesn't really get much coverage in the RoI. The biggest parade in the RoI, which attracts lodges from far and wide, doesn't even get coverage in the mainstream media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

At least the GAA use our proper anthem.

Not some Ireland's Call or something

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

no they werent, not sure where you got that. They went to St Kierans college in Kilkenny. Bobby Rackard had to get special dispensation from the Bishop of Ferns to marry his protestant wife. Not that any of that has any real merit to any of the discussion. The distinction should be between protestants and unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'll hold my hand up there. Seems like it was just one of the parents. I apoligise for that

I'm not sure that its only 'Loyalists' that are offended by grounds named in honour of people who attempted to/or did actually kill people. I would imagine that many people across the divide feel uneasy about the names of some GAA grounds up North, named in honour of people who tried to (or did)? actually kill people from the other tradition :(

I wouldn't be the IRA's biggest supporter but if the local GAA club and community want to name the pitch after a hunger striker or an IRA volunteer so be it. The GAA club was often the sporting outlet during the Troubles and the sectarian statelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Maybe I should have added in Border Counties in my post to clarify things because I can assure you that a lot of Protestants in those Counties would have nothing to do with the GAA or anything Irish related, perhaps that is probably more true of the 70/80s but as I said this has changed in more recent times.

Growing up, I often often heard the saying about certain areas being a real "bitter" area, meaning that the Protestants in that are had very strong Unionist views, re marching, GAA, Irish culture. Being close to Northern Ireland, many felt more in line with their Northern brethern.

Maybe Protestants from more Southern Counties viewed things slightly differently but in the border Counties, there was always a little more tension.

Perhaps someone can make a fool of me now and say this was never true.

I don't know if there ever was tension,i'm not old enough as i was born in the mid 80's.
    There's certainly none now on the southern side of the border from what i can see. There are plenty of Protestant senior club players littered around Cavan clubs.

Ah someone is always going to be offended by something, why should we be falling over ourselves to give way always when there is no give at all on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not really a fan but I always thought the playing of it before every game watered down the importance of it.

As said above, keep it for semis and finals only.

K-9 wrote: »

I wouldn't be the IRA's biggest supporter but if the local GAA club and community want to name the pitch after a hunger striker or an IRA volunteer so be it. The GAA club was often the sporting outlet during the Troubles and the sectarian statelet.
     How does supporting the IRA help attract Protestants/Unionists to take up GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The country united or not will always be divided and the hate will always be there.

Keep the anthem and don't give a **** who is offended by it. It's our country and It's our culture like it or not. Sick of people talking bollocks like this.

• Advertisement

How does supporting the IRA help attract Protestants/Unionists to take up GAA?

If a ground is named after a hunger striker and the club is ok with that, Protestants/Unionists will have to put up with it. The hunger strikes got widespread support from the Republican and Nationalist communities, North and South. It's part of history and nationalist culture and tradition. I don't see why anybody wanting to play the game would want to change the history and culture of a sport.

Moving on does not mean we have to change everything.

Advertisement