Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the GAA drop playing the national Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I wouldn't be too opposed to the idea, but it's very naive and wishful to think it would make the slightest bit of difference to how unionists perceive the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Grayson wrote: »

Maybe they should get rid of it. Or maybe they should play both it and God Save the Queen before games that the northern counties are playing in.

ya i'm sure that will go down well in Casement Park :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

They definitely should not drop Amhrán na bhFiann for matches played including Irish players or hosted in Ireland.

The best comparison is to the NFL and their anthem playing rules I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

NiallBoo wrote: »

I don't think the haka is a good comparison - people love watching it and I doubt it would have become such a thing if it weren't for that.
    It's a challenge and show of respect to your rivals, which I think better fits a sporting event. and it's certainly something that's been questioned.
    It's ridiculous. And even more ridiculous is that opposition teams indulge it, never mind respect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JJEP

I don't understand what the problem is with playing the Irish anthem at a traditional Irish game in Ireland? Has logic been replaced with something ?

• Advertisement

JJEP wrote: »
    I don't understand what the problem is with playing the Irish anthem at a traditional Irish game in Ireland? Has logic been replaced with something ?
    Anthem's are outdated anyway.

The GAA should start playing Ireland's Call instead. A much more suitable song. And the lyrics make more sense in the modern era.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JJEP

Maybe. Can't see point in just having it a game without reference to Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Poll added for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Orange Order will change traditions too I'm sure.

The playing of the anthem at a game in the 6 counties is a special part of the GAA and being a nationalist, when N.I. was a sectarian statelet it was one of the things that was a reminder of their Irish identity.

Just leave it be, there's no need to change tradition and culture just for the sake of it, let others respect different traditions.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Ugh. That's like people defending Western countries (e.g. France recently) violating people's rights by referencing how the middle east (e.g. Saudi Arabia) is much worse.
    The playing of the anthem at a game in the 6 counties is a special part of the GAA and being a nationalist, when N.I. was a sectarian statelet it was one of the things that was a reminder of their Irish identity.
    The sooner the GAA and every other aspect of society separates from nationalism the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's ridiculous. And even more ridiculous is that opposition teams indulge it, never mind respect it.

A few Aussies over the years have spoken out against the haka. If memory serves me correct Michael Lynagh was one such aussie

He suggested that the kiwis and the Pacific Island countries perform their rituals in the dressing room where they belong, and stop holding up the game and wasting everybody's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Oops I voted yes & I intended to vote No.

However GAA sports are to a certain extend sectarian. They were officially sectarian for a long time

Oh please. Please cite this "sectarian" rule. It doesn't exist, and it never existed. Unless you're going to contend that banning members of the British Crown Forces of occupation constitutes banning a "sect".
    Or maybe they should play both it and God Save the Queen before games that the northern counties are playing in.

Yes, because playing an anthem that glorifies a ragingly sectarian and explicitly anti-Catholic institution would be a great way for the GAA to counter sectarianism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I wouldn't be too opposed to the idea, but it's very naive and wishful to think it would make the slightest bit of difference to how unionists perceive the GAA.

Correct. The GAA has an awful lot to do to improve how it is viewed by Unionists. They should rename all of the facilities that are named after Irish republican terrorists and also issue a statement condemning Irish republican terrorism and clubs who have named their facilities after them.
    K-9 wrote: »

This thread is about the GAA. Let's focus on them, for a change.

Berserker wrote: »
    Correct. The GAA has an awful lot to do to improve how it is viewed by Unionists. They should rename all of the facilities that are named after Irish republican terrorists and also issue a statement condemning Irish republican terrorism and clubs who have named their facilities after them.

How about we do this after all your crowd take the Royal/Victoria/Albert/Elizabeth etc out of the names of institutions, streets, roads, parks and everywhere else you've imposed your backward sectarian colonial herrenvolk cult?

Then come back to us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

How about we do this after all your crowd take the Royal/Victoria/Albert/Elizabeth etc out of the names of institutions, streets, roads, parks and everywhere else you've imposed your backward sectarian colonial herrenvolk cult?

Then come back to us.

Well said. Passed three places just this morning with "Royal" in the title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Berserker wrote: »

This thread is about the GAA. Let's focus on them, for a change.

Are you humming The Sash as you type that just out of interest ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Well said. Passed three places just this morning with "Royal" in the title.

they are selling Royal jelly in my local health food shop, the imperialist bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Next they'll have us singing the four proud provinces of Ireland.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Protestants hardly play the sport, although this is probably one of the reasons why. Maybe they should do away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

they are selling Royal jelly in my local health food shop, the imperialist bastards.

Alongside the KY Jelly which is from Kerry:):D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its just the start really for an organisation on the slow downhill. Gaa wont even be the national sport of country in 40-50 years.

Love the Gaa but they're times when I wonder is the greed they had in past coming back to them.

From playing point of view the games have never been stronger but the downhill spiral of crowd attendences is a worry and its more worrying when you consider that Dublin have never been stronger and they always get full house

Its just the start really for an organisation on the slow downhill. Gaa wont even be the national sport of country in 40-50 years.

Entertaining, whatever "it" is. Prediction of GAA demise No. 1782829292 since 1884.
    Love the Gaa but they're times when I wonder is the greed they had in past coming back to them.

Ah "greed". An almost perfect GAA hater's post (with the novel "love the GAA" preface) - it's only missing "Grab All Association", and a reference to Shamrock Rovers and Thomas Davis to make it a perfectly rounded I hate the GAA post.

Entertaining, whatever "it" is. Prediction of GAA demise No. 1782829292 since 1884.

Ah "greed". An almost perfect GAA hater's post (with the novel "love the GAA" preface) - it's only missing "Grab All Association", and a reference to Shamrock Rovers and Thomas Davis to make it a perfectly rounded I hate the GAA post.

Want to actually discuss this and Shams Davis debate could not give fiddlers about.

And yes the Gaa is in demise even if you want to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Personally, I dont really see the need for the National Anthem to be played so often. Before AI finals, fair enough. Other than that, no real need.

Again, I dont care for anthems of any type, usually am out of the room when they come on before games of any code. I do respect them if I am attending a game though. Just wished they were not played so often, just get on with the games.

As for Unionists up the North, they will always view GAA as an Irish organisation so will unlikely have anything to do with it regardless of what is changed. Dont they still have to respect the flag and anthem at some international rugby games. Dont even know what the rugby boys do now as for the reasons stated above.

Some protestants in the Republic play GAA and it is becoming more common, most of them just ignore the symbolism and enjoy it for what is, a community based organisation with a competitive element. I even see some of the younger generation of Protestants wearing our County jersey which has Nationalist colours.

I would agree with the Church related symbolism fading into the background more, but dont know if I could endorse changing club names after years of having the one name. Our local club is named after our local Saint, even though I am non-religious, I dont think I would want to see the name of the club changed.

Dont forget we already have GAA clubs named after Prods, Wolfe Tones, Robert Emmetts etc and of course the Sam Maguire Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Protestants hardly play the sport, although this is probably one of the reasons why. Maybe they should do away with it.

Can you provide us with stats to back up that claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Some protestants in the Republic play GAA and it is becoming more common, most of them just ignore the symbolism and enjoy it for what is, a community based organisation with a competitive element. I even see some of the younger generation of Protestants wearing our County jersey which has Nationalist colours.

slightly ignorant that post....

why wouldn't they wear County jersey with Nationalist colours?? after all the vast majority of Protestants in the republic see themselves as irish you know

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Our Protestant brothers of the book are very welcome in our club. Sectarianism is not tolerated in any form.

So please come and join us, the door is open to all. Jewish and Muslim brothers are also welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

No

• Advertisement

The famous Rackard brothers were Prods.

Plenty of famous Prods associated with Republican and Gaa.

Advertisement