Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the GAA drop playing the national Anthem

Options
  • 30-11-2016 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Mods I know there is a thread already in the GAA forum about this, But it be nice to see the opinion's of the wider intelligent :) boards community on this.

GAA President Aogan O'Fearghail said the organisation may consider dropping the national anthem and flag from GAA events in the event of "political realignments on the island of Ireland".

Dublin goalkeeper Paddy Cullen ridiculing the idea.
    "At this stage, we shouldn't even be considering something like that,"Cullen said."Look at the All Blacks. Imagine they were told to do away with their haka. That's part and parcel of your culture, you just can't do away with that."

Former Meath All-Ireland winning captain Graham Geraghty said there would be a backlash across the GAA community if the idea was formally tabled.

Link from todays herald.ie...wont show for me .

So do you think our national anthem should be changed to include others on our island ? Bit like the rugby folks singing Irelands call.

For me I don't know, Suppose if it was a step in the direction of helping the country become united I be ok for a compromise. whats your opinons ?

Should the GAA drop the Anthem 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Mods I know there is a thread already in the GAA forum about this, But it be nice to see the opinion's of the wider intelligent :) boards community on this.

GAA President Aogan O'Fearghail said the organisation may consider dropping the national anthem and flag from GAA events in the event of "political realignments on the island of Ireland".

"At this stage, we shouldn't even be considering something like that,"Cullen said."Look at the All Blacks. Imagine they were told to do away with their haka. That's part and parcel of your culture, you just can't do away with that."

Former Meath All-Ireland winning captain Graham Geraghty said there would be a backlash across the GAA community if the idea was formally tabled.

So do you think our national anthem should be changed to include others on our island ? Bit like the rugby folks singing Irelands call.

For me I don't know, Suppose if it was a step in the direction of helping the country become united I be ok for a compromise. whats your opinons ?

God no, only decent part of GAA is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Genuine question - is there any evidence that the playing of the anthem is a significant factor in the exclusion of people (mostly in NI, I presume), and that its removal would have a positive impact on their participation in GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Don't know what the Uachtarán was waffling on about. He seems far too intent on trying to satisfy everybody.
    A daft idea at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Our national anthem is not generally played at sporting events anyway. usually only for when the national team is playing.

It has a particular historical and cultural significance for the GAA though.

most games get on just fine without any anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's not like they stand and respect it anyway in full. They're normally belting off with 2 lines left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Keep it, because if they need a replacement song every club in the country will be out shaking their buckets to fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

It's always struck me as patriotism by numbers.

One of those things that's done because it's done, and loses any real sentiment because of that.

I don't think the haka is a good comparison - people love watching it and I doubt it would have become such a thing if it weren't for that.
    It's a challenge and show of respect to your rivals, which I think better fits a sporting event. and it's certainly something that's been questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

If you read what he said it would be in the event of "political realignments". If there are significant realignments there would most likely be a referendum on changing the country's flag and anthem anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Political correctness gone mad

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

I can see where he's coming from but would be cautious about removing/changing them until we see what would take their place.

Maybe instead of the Tricolour, you could have a flag with the four provinces on it? Or both of them flying together? Or the flag of St Patrick thrown in with the mix?

As for the anthem, let's just agree to keep that awful cringe-worthy Ireland's Call muck away. Anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

NiallBoo wrote: »
    I don't think the haka is a good comparison - people love watching it and I doubt it would have become such a thing if it weren't for that.

Neither do I.

Hasn't always been the spectacle it is today however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Fuck political realignments. Hurling and Gaelic football are Irish sports played on Irish soil by people the vast majority of which are Irish. You play the national anthem same as ever.

The GAA is at risk of turning into the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If it's only a conversation that needs to happen in the event of "political realignments on the island of Ireland", then we won't be having the conversation any time soon

However, I'd do away with it anyway except for All-Ireland final days (and maybe providential final days too). Like they do with the FA Cup in England - they only play God Save the Queen on the day of the final - not every feckin game of every feckin round!

Was part of this not also that the sport is growing outside of Ireland?

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Neither do I.

Hasn't always been the spectacle it is today however.

Yeah, they've been practicing their moves alright.
    Old match against the barbarians? They were probably still hammered from the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I dont see a problem with it.

Sure in India today the supreme court passed a law that the national anthem must be played before each film in the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'm not really nationalistic by any means but it's a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The GAA are very much nationalistic... but is it really necessary to play the national anthem before every single game ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

National Anthems should be played before every single game.

As long as its an international match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

I miss the national anthem being played after a" prayer at bedtime", the sight of our national flag carrier taking off to the soldiers song stirred the soul.........but wait don't the Brits own aer lingus now and a prayer at... Was been replaced with some inoffensive PC alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

that was back in the day before 24hr TV

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I miss the national anthem being played after a" prayer at bedtime", the sight of our national flag carrier taking off to the soldiers song stirred the soul.........but wait don't the Brits own aer lingus now and a prayer at... Was been replaced with some inoffensive PC alternative.

To be fair catholic numbers are decreasing. The idea of a prayer at bedtime is nice. A time to reflect on the day and on the wider community. I don't think it's PC gone wild to keep the idea behind it and reinvent it.

One thing I don't miss is the anthem at the end of every night in a pub or nightclub. Jesus that was depressing. I just associated it with not being allowed to drink anymore. One minute you're laughing/dancing/whatever, the next the music is off, the lights are on full blast and you have to stand there pretending to mouth the lyrics to a song you can't remember.

I don't mind the anthem being played at sporting events. However GAA sports are to a certain extend sectarian. They were officially sectarian for a long time and although the rules have changed it's still associated with nationalism in the eyes of many. I can imagine there's a lot of communities in the north that wouldn't want to play it simply because of the association. It's a pity because it's just a sport. It could help bring communities in together rather than separating them.

Maybe they should get rid of it. Or maybe they should play both it and God Save the Queen before games that the northern counties are playing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Should the GAA drop playing the national Anthem.

Yes. (prersuming they wish to fully include both traditions on the island)?

Forward thinking fella Aogan.

Backward thinking fella Paddy.

The GAA would also need to rename some of their grounds which may offend some people North of the border. The dropping of "Sinne Fianna Fáil" is a start though ... that is, prersuming they wish to fully include both traditions on the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair catholic numbers are decreasing. The idea of a prayer at bedtime is nice. A time to reflect on the day and on the wider community. I don't think it's PC gone wild to keep the idea behind it and reinvent it.

One thing I don't miss is the anthem at the end of every night in a pub or nightclub. Jesus that was depressing. I just associated it with not being allowed to drink anymore. One minute you're laughing/dancing/whatever, the next the music is off, the lights are on full blast and you have to stand there pretending to mouth the lyrics to a song you can't remember.

I don't mind the anthem being played at sporting events. However GAA sports are to a certain extend sectarian. They were officially sectarian for a long time and although the rules have changed it's still associated with nationalism in the eyes of many. I can imagine there's a lot of communities in the north that wouldn't want to play it simply because of the association. It's a pity because it's just a sport. It could help bring communities in together rather than separating them.

Maybe they should get rid of it. Or maybe they should play both it and God Save the Queen before games that the northern counties are playing in.

The northern county boards are the most nationalistic and republican in the GAA. They would burn Croke Park to the ground before they allowed GSTQ to be played before their matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

tonygun wrote: »
    The northern county boards are the most nationalistic and republican in the GAA. They would burn Croke Park to the ground before they allowed GSTQ to be played before their matches.

I was thinking that. Remember when they were going to play Rugby in Croke Park and people protested. There was a guy carrying a "NO FOREIGN SPORTS" sign whilst wearing a celtic jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

If it ever happens,what about the mini version Presidential salute?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I think dropping the National Anthem, renaming all the GAA grounds and replacing stick fighting with hockey, and bog ball with rugger would have the desired effect of encouraging Unionist participation. :D

Grayson wrote: »
    Or maybe they should play both it and God Save the Queen before games that the northern counties are playing in.

Good luck with that idea. Was at the the 2003 All-Ireland Final (Armagh V Tyrone). I have yet to hear before or since a more passionate rendition of Amhrán na bhFiann. Make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. Never gonna happen IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

yea, every sport on the planet should get rid of it
    And that god awful haka dance sh!te and first to go Oirland's Call

Advertisement