Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think you can override the default by adding in what you want to play it via, so for example try "play the bbc newshour podcast on bbc website"

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

It’s all because RTE are involved

Does that explain the flakiness of BBC then ?

I can rarely fire up BBC 6 Music on my Lenovo Smart Display. I can do it without issue on my home hubs and minis (seems to via BBC Sounds). Using Sonos & Google Assistant it can do it via TuneIn but it has periods of stuttering, using it via Sonos Music App it's very solid but occasionally won't start.

So the command "OK google play BBC 6 music radio" will get differing responses...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've a feeling there's a big announcement due for the Google Home stuff in the upcoming event, they've spent the last year brining the Nest stuff in, I wouldn't be surprised if what's being experienced now is getting ready for new stuff, well hopefully anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Looks like they are going down the max route, I much prefer that look than the old speaker not that I can justify buying more speakers considering I've 3 minis in a drawer already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just ordered a new nest mini from mymemory.ie @ €25.73, considering a good bit cheaper than Google themselves are selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

McMurphy wrote: »
    Just ordered a new nest mini from mymemory.ie @ €25.73, considering a good bit cheaper than Google themselves are selling them.
    That's the original...the new one is a €31.58

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

fletch wrote: »
    That's the original...the new one is a €31.58

So it is dam!

I've emailed their customer support team asking if they could update my order, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Rte lyric and gold, neither working 1:20 am on Saturday morning.
    I'm just bored of being annoyed at it's inability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Google Home Summit
    https://youtu.be/Zqi2rtXqzZ8

• Advertisement

Tried watching that but the commentators were too annoying, I turned off when he decided to show he had an iPhone was iOS 14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Ya they are annoying
    Seems that there are a few new things coming to GH soon
    I still find it much more natural and intuitive than Alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Ya they are annoying
    Seems that there are a few new things coming to GH soon
    I still find it much more natural and intuitive than Alexa

I prefer GH over alexa but i wish google would change the hotword hey/ok google doesn't roll of the tongue as easily as Alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

cosanostra wrote: »
    I prefer GH over alexa but i wish google would change the hotword hey/ok google doesn't roll of the tongue as easily as Alexa

Fully agree, it should be customisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

jogdish wrote: »
    Rte lyric and gold, neither working 1:20 am on Saturday morning.
    I'm just bored of being annoyed at it's inability.

I emailed RTÉ about this a few days ago & got the following reply:

“I’m sorry to hear that you are having trouble the RTÉ Radio stream on your Google Home.

Google Home uses TuneIn which in turn plays back the RTÉ Radio streams. Our technical team are on the case and hope to have this resolved as soon as possible.”

I also gave feedback via my Google device & posted in the Google support forum. Still waiting on a response :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Clareman wrote: »
    Looks like they are going down the max route, I much prefer that look than the old speaker not that I can justify buying more speakers considering I've 3 minis in a drawer already.

I got a couple of ceiling mounts for my home minis and have them in bathrooms. Powered from sockets in the attic.

Screenshot-20200715-11488.jpg

digitaldr wrote: »
    I got a couple of ceiling mounts for my home minis and have them in bathrooms. Powered from sockets in the attic.

Screenshot-20200715-11488.jpg

Mrs. Clareman is bad enough about having Google listening around the house, if she thought she was being listened to in the bathrooms as well I'd be divorced :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Had BBC 5 Live playing the other night. Then it wouldn't stop, no matter what I asked. Kept saying 'that feature isn't available yet', etc. Turned the device off and on, sorted.

Lyric FM is not working this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Is anyone now getting adds from Tunein playing before the normal radio stream starts to play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

towger wrote: »
    Is anyone now getting adds from Tunein playing before the normal radio stream starts to play ?

Yeah, seemed to start last week.

• Advertisement

Yeah, seemed to start last week.

Thanks yes it’s painful ..... the path to extract another subscription cost from us ......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've always got ads for the likes of Today FM or Newstalk that's why I tend to give them a miss.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I've always got ads for the likes of Today FM or Newstalk that's why I tend to give them a miss.

I got them this morning when playing Radio 1, some stupid American add for medicines. Is Tunein the only platform to play radio via Google Assistant ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I got them this morning when playing Radio 1, some stupid American add for medicines. Is Tunein the only platform to play radio via Google Assistant ?

The Global Player (UK stations) comes from global not tunein.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Always had the ads on Today FM, never on 2FM. This morning I got US based ads too.

2FM stopped working a few days ago. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Yes I can.

Hello Bluefoam, what is the portable device you are using? I have looked everywhere and cannot find anything that supports cast and is battery powered (other than a very expensive Sonos).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

RTE Gold is working again

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

RTE Gold is working again

2FM back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So is Lyric FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Anyone else getting "sorry there was a glitch" from their home on 9/10 requests recently?

Advertisement