Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What a tosser

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Todays Tuam Herald..... Another lad in favour of more expensive drink

The bottled water guff raises its head again. Either these people need to stop buying such expensive water or tell the rest of us where they're buying their beer.

Todays Tuam Herald..... Another lad in favour of more expensive drink

Thankfully no-one reads the Tuam Herald

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The bottled water guff raises its head again. Either these people need to stop buying such expensive water or tell the rest of us where they're buying their beer.
    They clearly need to cut back on their Iceberg Water consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Thankfully no-one reads the Tuam Herald

Not true its very well read locally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Yea I made up that drinking 96% alcohol can make you blind.

Blind drunk comes from methanol in drink not ethanol.

Maybe he fell and damaged himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Blind drunk comes from methanol in drink not ethanol.

Maybe he fell and damaged himself.

Probably got some in his eye
    Or was drinking poorly distilled spirits (hence the methanol)

Definitely wasnt lidl's 97% stuff anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

First, I would love to see where the bottled water is being sold more expensively.
    Second, the issue should be with the price of bottled water, not anything else. Water is free the world over, or should be. Without getting that argument going, if it is more expensive than anything else man made, then the issue should be with the water bottling company.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Suckit wrote: »
    First, I would love to see where the bottled water is being sold more expensively.
    Second, the issue should be with the price of bottled water, not anything else. Water is free the world over, or should be. Without getting that argument going, if it is more expensive than anything else man made, then the issue should be with the water bottling company.

It is an argument of fools. The only question is whether it is a fool making it, or someone trying to fool the gullible.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In the USA you can get something called Everclear, which in its strongest version is 95% ABV (190 proof). People do buy that and drink it, without dying, and there are even cocktail recipes on the website. It comes in 750ml bottles for about $20 in the USA; by my calculations, MUP would mean the same bottle costs €56.29 here.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bnt wrote: »
    In the USA you can get something called Everclear, which in its strongest version is 95% ABV (190 proof). People do buy that and drink it, without dying, and there are even cocktail recipes on the website. It comes in 750ml bottles for about $20 in the USA; by my calculations, MUP would mean the same bottle costs €56.29 here.
    Only 95% ? Pfft wimps :p

Also way overpriced at about €22 per litre.

Aldi Italy have a 1L bottle of 96% Alcohol for €13.79

76.8 Irish units representing a saving of €63 per bottle compared to MUP.

You are allowed 10L of spirits if travelling in the EU.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Only branded water and/or small bottles with fancy caps could cost that much.

Eight bottles of 500ml fizzy water €1.29

Here there's a few supermarkets where somehow someone has found negative cost ingredients that make lemonade cheaper than water.

I've literally bought pints in pubs because they were cheaper than soft drinks.
    Maybe if they charged continental prices people would buy ithem instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bnt wrote: »

Yup, the only difference between 96% and 40% is a bit of water.
    Many cheap vodkas would literally be 96% neutral ethanol, diluted to bottling strength.

The duty and the vat on that duty on a liter of 96% ethanol would currently be over €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yea.
    Now that you say it ,
    Must have been coincidence.

Either that or you made it up.

There is no other credible explanation.

Meanwhile in the UK they are going for a different message

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/brits-drink-124-pints-each-struggling-pubs-covid-lockdown-b935186.html
    Pub-goers will need to drink 124 pints this summer to save the nation’s food and beverage industry, finance experts have claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

its a tough ask but I'd be willing to give it a go. Try to do my bit for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,043 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That's my three week average.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's my three week average.

I'm only a lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The term 'Public Health advice' has really made ground the last 12-15 months

Government **** themselves when they here 'Public Health Advice suggests this and that'

it used to be that only the bishops could pronounce with such certainty

Yeah seems that any old trope is being pedalled under the Public Health line now.

While i agree with the Gov curbing some excesses, they have lost the run on the MUP front.

Increase costs to taxpayers, while getting nothing more in the exchequer is a daft idea to me.. Just doesn't equate as sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Yeah seems that any old trope is being pedalled under the Public Health line now.

While i agree with the Gov curbing some excesses, they have lost the run on the MUP front.

Increase costs to taxpayers, while getting nothing more in the exchequer is a daft idea to me.. Just doesn't equate as sensible.

This, the housing crisis and how they’re handling the pandemic (never mind the HSE ongoing saga)…. Seriously, vote FF again and we deserve things like this

What the flip is wrong with us? Have we got voters Stockholm syndrome or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This, the housing crisis and how they’re handling the pandemic (never mind the HSE ongoing saga)…. Seriously, vote FF again and we deserve things like this

What the flip is wrong with us? Have we got voters Stockholm syndrome or something?

We can all have our individual preferences when it comes to election time but it will do us no good when it comes to MUP.

All the parties government and opposition support it and voted for it.

We really are hostages with no hope of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You are allowed 10L of spirits if travelling in the EU.

you are allowed an unlimited amount. The quantities stated cannot be enforced under EU law and you can bring back as much as you like for personal consumption without any issue.
    My father in law brings home a full car load every time they go away on summer holidays, and has in the past shipped 3 pallets of wine back with zero issues or associated costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

FF and FG have kind of morphed into one party.

This is a cheap headline grabber (the minimum pricing on alcohol), that allows the government to pat themselves on the back in front of t.v. cameras, when as you say the housing crisis and the H.S.E. disaster are playing out in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I had to go to A&E on a friday night recently ..i was surprised to find the place almost empty ...no drunks no nothing.

Now saying that its during the pandemic ..

I am not a drinker myself except occasionally. But i don't see that outside of the pandemic we really do have worse drinking issues than any other country tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

I had to go to A&E on a friday night recently ..i was surprised to find the place almost empty ...no drunks no nothing.

Now saying that its during the pandemic ..

I am not a drinker myself except occasionally. But i don't see that outside of the pandemic we really do have worse drinking issues than any other country tbh.

How do you know what goes on in other A@E through out the globe?

It’s like this an alcoholic will pay €2 for a can instead of €1. Not like the price increase will put him/ her off. The person has an addiction. A college student who is a heavy drinker will pay the extra euro for a can also and won’t be put off by the price hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How do you know what goes on in other A@E through out the globe?
    I was referring to our alcohol average intake.

We are lower than Germany and Australia. We are the same as luxembourg. And we are around the same as france and belgium.

It is often put to us that A & E is filled with drunks every weekend. I didn't see that at all when i was there.

• Advertisement

I was referring to our alcohol average intake.

We are lower than Germany and Australia. We are the same as luxembourg. And we are around the same as france and belgium.

It is often put to us that A & E is filled with drunks every weekend. I didn't see that at all when i was there.

The funniest part of using the A&E story is that most of the druks there come from drinking in pubs and clubs.

Its not often the home drinker trips over a curb while wearing heels :D:D

To use that argument is to support general taxation - it has no basis for MUP.

Advertisement