Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭elperello

kerryjack wrote: »
    Every one should be breathaized that ends up in A&E and if you have drink or drugs in your system they should be a substantial fine say 1000 euro, you might think twice about making an ass of yourself which we have all done at some stage of our life, and a good life lesson would have been learned.

Just try to think that through.

People who need to be in A&E should get there ASAP.

Anything which might delay treatment for those who need it is bad for the patient and could possibly cost the health system more in the longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Firstly, that is a complete non-sequitur.

Secondly, you are failing to consider a counterfactual scenario where consumption levels (which may have fallen anyway, because an increased societal emphasis on healthy living) may have fallen to a greater extent if the price of alcohol had increased, using MUP.

Thirdly, economists have in fact studied this. In the UK, it has been discovered that while beer and wine are price inelastic (essentially, price doesn't have much impact on consumption), spirits are price elastic — when the price rises, more people will stop consuming them, or switch to an alternative.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/387513/HMRC_WorkingPaper_16_Alcohol_elasticities_final.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjz8om247rwAhUxrXEKHfXJAigQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2dq2pMAIoxnKOmjMCJpRfs&cshid=1620501114898

Therefore, it would appear to make sense — since spirits are more harmful when consumed in equivalent volumes — for a MUP to focus especially on spirits, and less on wines and beers.

Alcohol consumption dropped 6% in 2020 when people were drinking more alcohol at home - purchased at lower off trade prices rather than at higher on trade prices.
    Consumption of beer, cider and spirits dropped, consumption of wine increased.
    Suggests there is a lot more going on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Puritans and health zealots find another stick to beat drinkers with

https://www.echolive.ie/corkviews/arid-40283810.html

Very good article which every politician will ignore

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Alcohol consumption dropped 6% in 2020 when people were drinking more alcohol at home - purchased at lower off trade prices rather than at higher on trade prices.
    Consumption of beer, cider and spirits dropped, consumption of wine increased.
    Suggests there is a lot more going on.

For sure, but that comes back to the point about counterfactual scenarios. We don't know if consumption might have fallen by 10% instead of 6%, if prices had increased. Consumption may be falling for wider reasons than price alone — lots of young people (teenagers) seem relatively uninterested in drink, compared to 20 or 30 years ago.

I agree there are a lot of moving parts at work. I doubt anybody thinks it's easy to combat alcohol abuse by changing the price level. As shown in the report linked-to earlier, it doesn't seem to work well for beers and wines. People just downgrade to a cheaper version. However, they probably do come off the spirits.

For sure, but that comes back to the point about counterfactual scenarios. We don't know if consumption might have fallen by 10% instead of 6%, if prices had increased. Consumption may be falling for wider reasons than price alone — lots of young people (teenagers) seem relatively uninterested in drink, compared to 20 or 30 years ago.
    I agree there are a lot of moving parts at work. I doubt anybody thinks it's easy to combat alcohol abuse by changing the price level. As shown in the report linked-to earlier, it doesn't seem to work well for beers and wines. People just downgrade to a cheaper version. However, they probably do come off the spirits.

We could argue counterfactuals until the cows come home though.
    Alcohol consumption did not increase and spirits consumption fell in 2020.
    If spirit consumption is price elastic, why did it not increase with the increase in home consumption at lower prices?

Beyond a certain point you are going to hit price inelastic spirits drinking.
    Irish prices for spirits were already higher than Scottish\UK prices.
    Perhaps we'd already hit that point.

Alcohol consumption is dropping for spontaneous complex reasons, MUP isn't needed, given that that is its stated aim.

Especially when it has the side effect of impacting people who are not abusing alcohol. It is too crude a tool, bceause it isn't easy to combat alcohol abuse through price.
    There is way too much collateral damage with this measure. It is not targeted.
    Its main effect is a revenue generating exercise for retailers selling alcohol.

• Advertisement

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    We could argue counterfactuals until the cows come home though.
    Alcohol consumption did not increase and spirits consumption fell in 2020.
    of course, but the point about raising a counterfactual is not to prove the counterfactual — that is impossible, by definition – but to highlight deficits in information. Especially, to highlight faulty correlation. In other words, to show that the reduction in consumption might have been greater if MUP had existed.

Nobody can legitimately claim that Irish patterns of consumption "prove" that prices are inelastic, as has been claimed.
    If spirit consumption is price elastic, why did it not increase with the increase in home consumption at lower prices?
    Perhaps because it wouldn't occur to most people to drink spirits at home, unless there was a social event happening in the home, like a gathering. The data is very clear on spirits though, they are price-elastic for demand, and that is where MUP should have its focus, not on wine and beers.

of course, but the point about raising a counterfactual is not to prove the counterfactual — that is impossible, by definition – but to highlight deficits in information. Especially, to highlight faulty correlation. In other words, to show that the reduction in consumption might have been greater if MUP had existed.
    Nobody can legitimately claim that Irish patterns of consumption "prove" that prices are inelastic, as has been claimed.
    Perhaps because it wouldn't occur to most people to drink spirits at home, unless there was a social event happening in the home, like a gathering. The data is very clear on spirits though, they are price-elastic for demand, and that is where MUP should have its focus, not on wine and beers.

I think Irish patterns of consumption prove that there is an element of demand that is price inelastic, or that it is 'sticky'.
    If spirits were fully price elastic for demand, consumption should have increased in 2020. It did not. Suggesting price is not the main factor in driving demand and questioning whether it should be the basis for such government interventions in the market.
    There may be some people for which the demand is price elastic, but these are least likely to be found among the 'drinkers of concern' that MUP is targeted at.

MUP is a ineffectual measure if there is a concern specifcally about drinking spirits at home as it will not reduce such 'problem' drinking.
    MUP is an unnecessary measure if the concern is about overall levels of alcohol consumption, as these are already falling for spontaneous reasons.
    MUP is a crude measure because it penalises responsible drinkers and directs revenue to the retailers of alcohol, which seems an absurd thing to do if it is declared as an anti-alcohol measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,999 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The term 'Public Health advice' has really made ground the last 12-15 months

Government **** themselves when they here 'Public Health Advice suggests this and that'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The term 'Public Health advice' has really made ground the last 12-15 months

Government **** themselves when they here 'Public Health Advice suggests this and that'

Yes, doctors only started giving health advice in february 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,999 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yes, doctors only started giving health advice in february 2020.

Downwards from Mid Feb 2020 there advice was met with

'Ah Shur look' type stuff and taken with a grain of salt but since Lockdown 1 the advice is taken way more seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Not in AA
    Not in favour of MUP
    It's the doctors and paramedics that's lobbying for this as the see the cahos on a nightly basis, people should be left to Drink themselves to death if they wish but please do it quietly and stay out of hospital and leave hospitals for sick people, That's all I am saying.

Then that supports our stance that MUP is nonsense and taxation is a better approach.

I'm sure there are few stats on it but from what I have seen most drink related late night A&E cases are people on a night in the pubs.

So surely doctors lobbied to kill off the pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Then that supports our stance that MUP is nonsense and taxation is a better approach.

I'm sure there are few stats on it but from what I have seen most drink related late night A&E cases are people on a night in the pubs.

So surely doctors lobbied to kill off the pubs?
    I do laugh at the publicans association talking about the safe drinking environment that's in a pub and not in a home in all my years out and about I rarely saw anyone refused a drink and they would be mouldy drunk, many a sunday I spent on the beer in the local village and you wouldn't even get a sandwich. I would like to know the stats on the amount of people that end up in A&E after a house party or a night out in pub or night club, if the government was serious about this they should make all pubs do some food and and have some bit of grazing while your having a few pints.

I do laugh at the publicans association talking about the safe drinking environment that's in a pub and not in a home in all my years out and about I rarely saw anyone refused a drink and they would be mouldy drunk, many a sunday I spent on the beer in the local village and you wouldn't even get a sandwich. I would like to know the stats on the amount of people that end up in A&E after a house party or a night out in pub or night club, if the government was serious about this they should make all pubs do some food and and have some bit of grazing while your having a few pints.

They did that with the 9 euro meal during this pandemic. Everyone seemed to miss the point and just complained about it.

Years ago nightclubs had to serve food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They did that with the 9 euro meal during this pandemic. Everyone seemed to miss the point and just complained about it.

Years ago nightclubs had to serve food.

The difference was people had no choice but to have this meal if they wanted to enjoy a pint or not..... as for those nightclub meals I remember them well, most of those "feeds" ended up on the pavement or the toilet floor if the unlucky client made it that far

The difference was people had no choice but to have this meal if they wanted to enjoy a pint or not..... as for those nightclub meals I remember them well, most of those "feeds" ended up on the pavement or the toilet floor if the unlucky client made it that far

Indeed neither seemed to be a great success or a big winner with the general public.

Kerry man indicated drink should be served with food. I was merely saying this had been tried.

Indeed neither seemed to be a great success or a big winner with the general public.

Kerry man indicated drink should be served with food. I was merely saying this had been tried.

I like the option of snacks myself, like they'd have in dutch bars or many german neighbourhood bars, nothing big with all the hoo-ha, just a snack if one feels hungry

I like the option of snacks myself, like they'd have in dutch bars or many german neighbourhood bars, nothing big with all the hoo-ha, just a snack if one feels hungry

Pizza slices would hit the spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Remember them night club dinners they were slop. The powers that be want to change our drink culture and all they can come up with is adding a few cent on to the price of a cheap can of beer, If you went to the continent Spain, France or Italy you would all ways be able to get some bit of nibbles with your drink and sometimes free all you get in this country is a grunt, most publication, I know are lazy and slow to make changes and make little effort to get you in the door and keep you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Remember them night club dinners they were slop. The powers that be want to change our drink culture and all they can come up with is adding a few cent on to the price of a cheap can of beer, If you went to the continent Spain, France or Italy you would all ways be able to get some bit of nibbles with your drink and sometimes free all you get in this country is a grunt, most publication, I know are lazy and slow to make changes and make little effort to get you in the door and keep you there.

Hollywood Nights in stillorgan used to do a savage chicken curry back in the day.

My uncle ran a pub in Cork years ago. He used to provide sandwiches and cocktail sausages for free around 10pm. He said to me the reason he did it was the chances of there being trouble reduced significantly when people were fed. What he was providing cost him only a couple of euros but it was well worth it.

Providing a snack or nibbles when serving alcohol is the norm all over the world. Here, some places the best you can get is a bag of crisps. Not much soakage in crisps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

My uncle ran a pub in Cork years ago. He used to provide sandwiches and cocktail sausages for free around 10pm. He said to me the reason he did it was the chances of there being trouble reduced significantly when people were fed. What he was providing cost him only a couple of euros but it was well worth it.

Providing a snack or nibbles when serving alcohol is the norm all over the world. Here, some places the best you can get is a bag of crisps. Not much soakage in crisps.

Most bars dont have trouble. That tends to occur around late bars and bars catering to young people which have a night club vibe and they are not places where food is expected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aldi Italy have a 1L bottle of 96% Alcohol for €13.79

76.8 Irish units representing a saving of €63 per bottle compared to MUP.

You are allowed 10L of spirits if travelling in the EU.

Most bars dont have trouble. That tends to occur around late bars and bars catering to young people which have a night club vibe and they are not places where food is expected.

Congratulations on completely missing the point.

I went home for christmas one year from the Czech Republic and in my suitcase I brought 5 litres of wine from Lidl. Each litre carton cost 1 euro. I let my family test it, at the time they all worked in the drinks trade(making, not selling) and everyone agreed it was very nice. And that was the wine we drank all over christmas.

5 litres for less than the price of one bottle here.

I was in spain years ago and we were told not to drink the tap water. We compared the prices in the supermarket and litre to litre the brandy was cheaper than the bottled water.

Fella I know was drinking that with tonic when he was about 19,
    Every time he went to the jax his "mates" would pour more into his glass.
    Of course he ended up absolutely paracletic and passed out.
    Next day his vision was blurry and he ended up having to get glasses .

Fella I know was drinking that with tonic when he was about 19,
    Every time he went to the jax his "mates" would pour more into his glass.
    Of course he ended up absolutely paracletic and passed out.
    Next day his vision was blurry and he ended up having to get glasses .

*May or may not be a true story.

*May or may not be a true story.

Yea I made up that drinking 96% alcohol can make you blind.

You didn't say he went blind, you said he needed to get glasses.

Excessive alcohol consumption can damage the optic nerve causing blindness, thats a well established fact. It does not trigger short-sightedness.

Yea.
    Now that you say it ,
    Must have been coincidence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Methanol can do that. Pro tip : Don't drink methylated spirits or turps. Higher alcohols give you bad hangovers, toxic too.

You don't drink 96% alcohol. Dentists us it to kill nerve endings. You use it to top up other drinks like punch. Or dilute to 75% and then you can use it to fuel a V2 rocket.

• Advertisement

Todays Tuam Herald..... Another lad in favour of more expensive drink

Advertisement