Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So, what will it cost for Double IPAs?
    Currently they are between 7% and 8% and cost either €3 or €3.50.

A similar situation for Guinness West Indies Porter.

€3.15 minimum for an 500 ml 8% DIPA

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

hansblitz wrote: »
    I see the powers that be banned this guy. All he said is bang on right,
    Apart from the vitriolic hyperbole they had their figures wrong, probably 26.7% too high based on thinking the proposal was 10c/ml instead of 10c/g (alcohol is 0.78924 g/ml (at 20C)).
    So, what will it cost for Double IPAs?
    Currently they are between 7% and 8% and cost either €3 or €3.50.
    500ml @ 7% would be a €2.76 minimum and 500ml @ 8% would be €3.16.
    I posted a bunch of examples a few pages back: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117072793&postcount=5297

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Am I right in thinking that Scotlands minimum price is 7.2 cent vs our 10 cent per gram?

It's 50p per unit over there and I was trying to convert.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that Scotlands minimum price is 7.2 cent vs our 10 cent per gram?

Their units are volume I think.

uk unit of alcohol is different to the Irish unit

10ml vs 10g

roughly (for simplicity) uk unit is 80% of the Irish unit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Pubs2.jpg

I hope ALL of the pubs beholden to the politicians in this country fail. That will make my day.
    Lying scumbags! Do they think we are all idiots?
    How is paying €5.00 for a pint in a pub in the best interests of the people of Ireland?
    The price in Spain, Italy and France is on average 60c for a can in a supermarket.
    Yet there are no higher percentages of raving alcoholics in those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

IngazZagni wrote: »

It's 6.25p per unit so, yes , 7.2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This thread never fails to deliver.

Great reading.

People looking for list of VFI members so that they can avoid them.

Don't forget the LVI, buddy.

Hilarious.

This thread never fails to deliver.

Great reading.

People looking for list of VFI members so that they can avoid them.

Don't forget the LVI, buddy.

Hilarious.

I hope every single one of them fail, to be honest.
    Part of the Irish alcohol problem is high prices in pubs. Higher than most countries on the planet.
    Maybe the politicians should focus on that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Pubs2.jpg

I hope ALL of the pubs beholden to the politicians in this country fail. That will make my day.
    Lying scumbags! Do they think we are all idiots?
    How is paying €5.00 for a pint in a pub in the best interests of the people of Ireland?
    The price in Spain, Italy and France is on average 60c for a can in a supermarket.
    Yet there are no higher percentages of raving alcoholics in those countries.

This is a country where we expect the government to solve everything for us. We want more and more of the nanny state and regulation.

Personal responsibility isn't something we believe in as a nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This is a country where we expect the government to solve everything for us. We want more and more of the nanny state and regulation.

I'm as much against MUP as the next guy, but this nonsense. MUP has nothing to do with Nanny Statism really, and regulations are generally a GOOD thing for the consumer as it stops organisations and businesses taking the piss.

MUP on the other hand is just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I hope every single one of them fail, to be honest.

Well, it's up to you to make that happen.

Perhaps frequent a local that you know isn't a part of the Vinters Assoc. and avoid any of the larger meat market boozers.

Frankly, for years pre-Covid I'd largely stopped drinking in town cos the price of the pint had become absurd (although that was mostly due to dickheads willing to pay over the odds for their craft beer shite).

When Covid ends, I can't see myself changing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

minitrue wrote: »
    ml * 0.78924 g/ml * ABV * 0.1 €/g = € MUP

500ml @ 4.3% = €1.70 (Bud I think)
    500ml @ 5% = €1.97 (Heineken I think)
    500ml @ 5.6% = €2.21 (my own favourite beer currently €2.09 in local supermarket)
    750ml @ 12% = €7.10 (wine on the weak side)
    750ml @ 15% = €8.88 (wine on the strong side)
    700ml @ 37.5% = €20.72 (minimum strength vodka e.g. Smirnoff)
    700ml @ 40% = €22.10 (spirits in general)

That's assuming it doesn't go up in the budget.

They are solving a problem that is not even there.
    The problem is there are too many pubs in Ireland and the solution is to let them fail.
    Let market forces do it's thing.
    But no, that would be letting their buddies down. No, let them continue to bleed the public dry charging €5 or €6 for a pint and kill all competition elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Suckit wrote: »

And when Smirnoff sees tesco vodka at 20 euro surly they will slap an increase of their own on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Used to love my country and be very proud of it...that has all changed in the last 12 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭tjhook

Suckit wrote: »

I think the government will be clever with the budget. They can put a hefty increase onto duty, while claiming that it won't affect the cheaper drinks that would otherwise be under the MUP. It'll be nice and "progressive".

Two birds, one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Make your own. All the kit is in Homebrew West.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tony EH wrote: »
    Frankly, for years pre-Covid I'd largely stopped drinking in town cos the price of the pint had become absurd (although that was mostly due to dickheads willing to pay over the odds for their craft beer shite).

:rolleyes: stupid thing to say, how would craft beer push mainstream prices up?

You could go to Wetherspoons and get a pint of craft ale cheaper than you'd get a watery pint of Guinness in a 'normal' pub - pretty likely they're not in the LVA either.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

So we officially have MUP?

Well thats a bit crap... Have to wonder how there was so little real opposition to this.

Is what it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

:rolleyes: stupid thing to say, how would craft beer push mainstream prices up?
    Pint Bottle of Bulmers was 6.50 about 4 years ago the last time I brought it in Town (not city centre either).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So we officially have MUP?

Well thats a bit crap... Have to wonder how there was so little real opposition to this.

Is what it is now.

Because the vintners have lobbied all parties hard and managed to spin this as a health issue when it is anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 matt007

It only effects the poor.
    More spending the housekeeping money.
    More begging.
    More stealing.
    More misery.
    More abuse.

Meanwhile the more well off won't even notice an extra few cents on their fizz.

I barely drink much anymore, but I'll be avoiding the pubs as much as possible in the future. Time to get back into home brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

matt007 wrote: »
    It only effects the poor.
    More spending the housekeeping money.
    More begging.
    More stealing.
    More misery.
    More abuse.

Meanwhile the more well off won't even notice an extra few cents on their fizz.

In fairness you are not far off with this statement - I will have to spend a small amount more on the beer I like and the multi buy deals are now gone (slab price deals) but otherwise i am not disproportionately hit by it. But I think it will result in overall price increases by the standard brands as their lower price competition was just wiped out. Bottom end spirits are all going to be the same price - not sure which ones will survive that - Gordons and smirnoff will most likely kill off much of their competition. The lidl and aldi brands will be dead.
    I barely drink much anymore, but I'll be avoiding the pubs as much as possible in the future. Time to get back into home brewing.

I am literally thinking this is the future now - must start gathering the kit.

Was enjoying some of the strong belgian beers that lidl do once in a while, sadly they will no longer go on sale as they would cost close to 4 euro a bottle - literally lidl won't bother to stock them now.

Need to find/start a good homebrew thread - some of my mates in the UK have started using a fast brew kit they claim is great - must see if i can get a couple of them sent over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

All this talk of home brew kits - avoiding pubs, is absolutely ridiculous.
    Why should we be railroaded into this?

Bollocks.

Raising the price, for whatever reason to appease a cartel of publicans ?
    This beggars belief.

Conehead himself was spouting this morning on the TV how we have the third highest teenage binge drinking culture in Europe - nothing about fixing the situation - Just increase the price.
    Nothing about why that demographic is struggling - Know what we will do? Raise the price of booze
    Look at Scotland - lets raise the price. Why do we constantly compare ourselves to other countries (when it suits)?
    This will do more damage than good.
    FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭CarProblem

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tjhook wrote: »
    I think the government will be clever with the budget. They can put a hefty increase onto duty, while claiming that it won't affect the cheaper drinks that would otherwise be under the MUP. It'll be nice and "progressive".

Two birds, one stone.
    That's crazy talk because it's common sense.

This measure will more than double the price of a Aldi's Galahad 'lager' so plenty of scope for excise increase.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    What amazes me with this nonsense is they are starting to introduce it presumably when pubs reopen (although knowing this banana republic who knows if pubs will even be fully open by next January! :pac: ). So with the obvious increase of alcohol consumption starting next year potentially when pubs reopen, how will they measure the effectiveness with MUP? Will they use the increased alcohol consumption next year to further increase the minimum unit price? Is there a maximum unit price?!

I was amazed to notice in Copenhagen 3 years ago the off sale beer (and talking Tuborg/Carlsberg here, not their "dutch gold" equivalents) prices were actually inline if not cheaper than here. I was expecting it to be considerably dearer. Drinking out was basically temple bar prices, but in a country where the average salary is far higher than ours with a cost of living reflecting it.

I'd be interested to know what the EUs stance on this is? Would wine exporters in the likes of France for example not be concerned? I'm surprised at the silence from Europe here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread have been going on 4 years now. Is it very nigh nigh now?

Advertisement