Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    Make your own. All the kit is in Homebrew West.

While I enjoy brewing bottling is a pain in the hoop. If you factor in your own labour it is dearer per litre of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,978 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

yoyo wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know what the EUs stance on this is? Would wine exporters in the likes of France for example not be concerned? I'm surprised at the silence from Europe here.

Spain made such vague murmurings about damaging competition but it wasn't a full scale objection. The Scottish version I think was challenged in Europe and kicked to touch by the European court as a matter for domestic courts.

"The Court of Justice considers that the effect of the Scottish legislation is significantly to restrict the market, and this might be avoided by the introduction of a tax measure designed to increase the price of alcohol instead of a measure imposing a minimum price per unit of alcohol. The court states that it is ultimately for the national court to determine whether measures other than that provided for by the Scottish legislation, such as increased taxation on alcoholic drinks, are capable of protecting human life and health as effectively as the current legislation, while being less restrictive of trade in those products within the EU."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-35160396#:~:text=The%20European%20Court%20of%20Justice,Scottish%20Parliament%20in%20May%202012.

Of course, the governments in Ireland and Scotland have shown no such thing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

What amazes me with this nonsense is they are starting to introduce it presumably when pubs reopen (although knowing this banana republic who knows if pubs will even be fully open by next January! :pac: ). So with the obvious increase of alcohol consumption starting next year potentially when pubs reopen, how will they measure the effectiveness with MUP? Will they use the increased alcohol consumption next year to further increase the minimum unit price? Is there a maximum unit price?!

I was amazed to notice in Copenhagen 3 years ago the off sale beer (and talking Tuborg/Carlsberg here, not their "dutch gold" equivalents) prices were actually inline if not cheaper than here. I was expecting it to be considerably dearer. Drinking out was basically temple bar prices, but in a country where the average salary is far higher than ours with a cost of living reflecting it.

I'd be interested to know what the EUs stance on this is? Would wine exporters in the likes of France for example not be concerned? I'm surprised at the silence from Europe here.

I think I recall Scotland being in the EU courts over it when they wanted to bring it in, As it is in I assume it was judged to be legal under EU law.

You actually think anyone will bother to measure the impact? If drinking drops this will get the credit, if it does not drop they will increase again most likely.

Nobody ever checked if the early close time for off licences had any impact - no reports, reviews or discussion at all.

It is my understanding that drinking in ireland has been on a steady decline between 2005 and 2019 Something like 30% drop over the period - so there is no correlation between the current prices and consumption as consumption was already dropping.

Assuming this trend continues, the advocates of this will claim this as their doing even though its just a changing ireland. Sad old situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

biko wrote: »
    This thread have been going on 4 years now. Is it very nigh nigh now?

1st January nigh enough for you? Legislation has been on the books for years but not activated. Cabinet decision this week to activate it from 1 Jan.

Life ain't always empty.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Pint Bottle of Bulmers was 6.50 about 4 years ago the last time I brought it in Town (not city centre either).

Not a beer and not craft but apart from that, totally relevant I'm sure!

How does that affect the price of, say, Guinness or Carlsberg?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

One thing i did not think of really is would this actually impact say Wetherspoons prices at all?

I assume even they have prices high enough that it would have limited to no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

One thing i did not think of really is would this actually impact say Wetherspoons prices at all?

I assume even they have prices high enough that it would have limited to no effect.

it won't affect any pub prices. that is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

They’ll be the next target no doubt. I wouldn’t be surprised to see minimum pub prices introduced that just coincidentally happen to line up with the lowest prices VFI members charge. In the interest of public health, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Lies on news at one now

dubrov wrote: »
    Well we have a long history already of increasing the price of alcohol in Ireland.

Has it been effective at improving our relationship with alcohol?

Maybe it's time to look at other angles (see advertising/sponsorship)

To be honest, go the other extreme. Make it common as muck and cheap as chips and people might just grow up a bit.

Go to Central or Eastern Europe and you can buy a beer:

- In McDonalds
    - In the train station
    - On intercity buses
    - In the gym.

It's no big deal. Being drunk and disorderly however is a big deal and is not tolerated.

Can we please adopt that model here?

• Advertisement

Lies on news at one now

Heard it. Shocking stuff.

The retailers slightly south of the border have a point though. If a bottle of Jameson is 5 quid cheaper in Newry than it is in Monaghan town, then I'm going to go to Newry and get a couple of bottles, and while I'm there, I might as well do the weekly shop, and I might pick up a new suit while I'm there too.

Savings for me. Income for the guy in Monaghan town = £0

it won't affect any pub prices. that is the point.

Yes apparently only off-licence alcohol can damage your health. Never ever heard of anyone passing out drunk after being in a pub either, or getting into a fight. Pub alcohol is magical stuff. Clearly the vintners reason to want us to forsake the evil offy and drink in their establishments instead is because they have nothing but our better interests at heart.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Lies on news at one now

Who was on?

What we're they saying?

Yes apparently only off-licence alcohol can damage your health. Never ever heard of anyone passing out drunk after being in a pub either, or getting into a fight. Pub alcohol is magical stuff. Clearly the vintners reason to want us to forsake the evil offy and drink in their establishments instead is because they have nothing but our better interests at heart.

Yes and all publicans make a mature sober analysis of their clients and decline drink to someone who has had enough. :rolleyes:

In 20 years of pub visits, I never saw anyone be declined drink in Ireland. Even the fella who fell over three times on the way to the bar got served.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You actually think anyone will bother to measure the impact? If drinking drops this will get the credit, if it does not drop they will increase again most likely.

I can see how this will go already. MUP will bring about a boom in both home brewing and black market booze sold by the lads already doing black market cigarettes and tobacco. Homebrew and bootleg booze obviously wont show up in the official consumption figures which will go down as people find alternatives over paying through the nose for alcohol. Government will point to consumption being down and declaring victory because of MUP.

Lies on news at one now

They said the republic is introducing it on Jan 1st 2022 but that the north is not in a position to introduce it until 2023 "at the earliest". So we are going to have a full year at least of people flooding up north to do their shopping and stock up on alcohol. Id say they government will be getting it in the ear off relaters in the south because people will do big massive shops up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

To be honest, go the other extreme. Make it common as muck and cheap as chips and people might just grow up a bit.

- In McDonalds
    - In the train station
    - On intercity buses
    - In the gym.

It's no big deal. Being drunk and disorderly however is a big deal and is not tolerated.

Martin, Varadkar, Donnolly and co. get turned on by mothering the Irish nation. It's their fetish.
    We don't have minds of our own and need to be saved from ourselves.

Stephen Donnelly "It is “not OK and not healthy” that some supermarkets are currently selling alcohol “cheaper than they are selling water”, according to the Minister for Health.

Drank Feighan "pocket money prices"

I'd love to know what the gombeens would call alcohol prices in the rest of Europe seeing as we have the second highest prices in Europe before MUP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In answer to the OP's poll I am in the middle yes we do have a drinking problem in Ireland. It is a problem with the drinking culture and Ireland's relationship with drink.
    That is beyond question.

The Dáil know this only too well while sitting in the Dáil bar! But will minimum pricing make a difference and save lives as Leo claims? It would be negligible as far as I am concerned. But it will definitely increase the takings for the Minister for Finance which is what it is really all about. Money, dressed up as a public health issue.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

In answer to the OP's poll I am in the middle yes we do have a drinking problem in Ireland. It is problem with the drinking culture and Ireland's relationship with drink.
    That is beyond question.

The Dáil know this only too well while sitting in the Dáil bar! But will minimum pricing make a difference and save lives as Leo claims? It would be negligible as far as I am concerned. But it will definitely increase the takings for the Minister for Finance which is what it is really all about. Money, dressed up as a public health issue.

but it won't do this. it isn't an increase in excise duty. they couldn't do that because that would affect the publicans as well and we can't be having that.

Martin, Varadkar, Donnolly and co. get turned on by mothering the Irish nation. It's their fetish.
    We don't have minds of our own and need to be saved from ourselves.

In fairness where was our opposition.. What are we paying the shinners for? They are utter tripe as an opposition unless its for a handy headline.

Overall when it comes to things like this seems the only decency in the Dail comes from the Healy Raes, who'd have thought they would be the ones to fight the fight that matters to us.

Shinners off covering up GDPR breaches while chasing some GP contract that matters nothing to the people who voted for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Stephen Donnelly "It is “not OK and not healthy” that some supermarkets are currently selling alcohol “cheaper than they are selling water”, according to the Minister for Health.

I'd love to know what the gombeens would call alcohol prices in the rest of Europe seeing as we have the second highest prices in Europe before MUP
    It costs me €4.99 for 24 50cl bottles of water:
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=296923532

Where can I purchase these 24 50cl bottles of beer for less or equal to that? I am very interested for Mr Donnelly to provide his sources :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Someone should point out to that gobshíte that a) you can get water for feck all from your tap or a drinking fountain and b) he's clearly comparing "premium" water with the cheapest alcohol. According to tesco.ie, Tesco brand water is 26c per litre. Tesco brand lager is €1.50 per litre.

It's not a reasonable comparison and he knows it. Assuming he's not thick (which in fairness is up for debate) Donnelly is intentionally misleading the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    May have already been covered here, but Sean Barrett Professor of Economics at Trinity made a good point in a letter to the Irish Times. If you are going to introduce minimum pricing, better to do it as a tax. For example, we have de facto minimum pricing on cigarettes and petrol but the majority of the sales price goes to the exchequer, not the retailer or manufacturer. As things stand, the benefit of the proposed minimum pricing for alcohol will go to the retailers and producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

In answer to the OP's poll I am in the middle yes we do have a drinking problem in Ireland. It is problem with the drinking culture and Ireland's relationship with drink.
    That is beyond question.

We don't have any bigger problem with alcohol than anywhere else. The big problem is the price of alcohol, especially in pubs. It always has been. The amount the government take in taxation. It has always meant that in Ireland, the family of an alcoholic suffered more financially in Ireland than anywhere else.
    And then the cretins come up with this hairbrained scheme to make matters worse.

JPup wrote: »
    May have already been covered here, but Sean Barrett Professor of Economics at Trinity made a good point in a letter to the Irish Times. If you are going to introduce minimum pricing, better to do it as a tax. For example, we have de facto minimum pricing on cigarettes and petrol but the majority of the sales price goes to the exchequer, not the retailer or manufacturer. As things stand, the benefit of the proposed minimum pricing for alcohol will go to the retailers and producers.

increasing the excise duty on alcohol would be counterproductive. how would that benefit the publicans?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

- In McDonalds
    - In the train station
    - On intercity buses
    - In the gym.

I really don't think we need the alcohol habits of Central and Eastern Europe

See the below report
    https://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/190430/Status-Report-on-Alcohol-and-Health-in-35-European-Countries.pdf

Central and Eastern European countries fare much worse that us when it comes to alcohol related deaths from injury, liver cirrhosis and cancer.

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

but it won't do this. it isn't an increase in excise duty. they couldn't do that because that would affect the publicans as well and we can't be having that.

Ah Jayus I didn't think of that. It pointless so, a kind of 'we care' we want more money for caring, marketing trick.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Who was on?

What we're they saying?

Feighan and for the life of me I can't see whats in it for him, dressing up a pig in all that finery

It costs me €4.99 for 24 50cl bottles of water:
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=296923532

Where can I purchase these 24 50cl bottles of beer for less or equal to that? I am very interested for Mr Donnelly to provide his sources :D:D

Goes back a few years to this article

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/beer-cheaper-than-water-in-shops-30035540.html

Of course we never know which brand of water they were on about or if similar big bottles of water were available to break down the prices similar to alcohol packets

Alcohol prices were increased in the budget after that and the alcohol quoted in that article isn't the 'cheap strong alcohol' that MUP is about

It's a false comparison though

Donnelly knows it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

JPup wrote: »

But that would mean hiking prices for publicans too and as we know from the FG 2011 manifesto we cant allow that to happen.

Advertisement