Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Country short of a few euro post Covid. No better time to increase duties (tax) on booze.

I feel like I am repeating myself, but MUP is not a tax.

It is not excise duty.

It is a minimum price, with the extra revenue accruing to the supplier/wholesaler/retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A lot of unrest at the Blueshirt PP meeting tonight over MUP.
    Varadamir says nothing is agreed, only Frank Feighan spoke in favour.
    I don’t think it will happen anytime soon, all depends on what nut job replaces Snarlene though.

I have met Frank Feighan once or twice.

Nice fella.

I do not agree with MUP.

He used to have a shop in Boyle, or was it a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,314 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Country short of a few euro post Covid. No better time to increase duties (tax) on booze.

The ruffians and minions will keep buying it regardless. The last thing they want is for people to buy less of it. Less booze means less revenue for the state.

5000+ posts in and some posters still haven't got a clue what MUP is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Going back to homebrewing soon, mead mainly.

I read this as "head mainly" and was picturing some sort of terrible sounding beer that's all head.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Geuze wrote: »
    I feel like I am repeating myself, but MUP is not a tax.

It is not excise duty.

It is a minimum price, with the extra revenue accruing to the supplier/wholesaler/retailer.

It's for the benefit of one industry alone.

Vintners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I read this as "head mainly" and was picturing some sort of terrible sounding beer that's all head.

I've had a few brews that have ended up like that :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Antares35 wrote: »
    Wine home brew - I'm intrigued! :)

Yes! I love introducing ppl to this, its even simpler than doing beer in my opinion.

Theres great kits out there for starting, the cost of the equipment at the start is the main cost but the kits you buy of juice, yeast and finings mean each bottle only costs about 1 euro.

Surprisingly the best wine ive made has come from a kit that only took 7 days to make 25 bottles.

Im using my own grapes at the moment which is far trickier as balancing the ph, tannins, acidity etc is proper science and very difficult to get right but the kits are super simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm certainly not in favour of mup but the amount of misinformation, lies, assumptions portrayed as facts, hysteria, exaggeration and general insanity in this thread is off the scale.

It's as bad as what AAI pedal as facts and evidence.

If I was back on the drink I'd be looking to make wine. It's super simple from what I recall. They used to sell bricks of grape juice during prohibition with instructions on what not to do because it would turn into wine. :pac:

I'm certainly not in favour of mup but the amount of misinformation, lies, assumptions portrayed as facts, hysteria, exaggeration and general insanity in this thread is off the scale.

It's as bad as what AAI pedal as facts and evidence.

Can you give some examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yes! I love introducing ppl to this, its even simpler than doing beer in my opinion.

Theres great kits out there for starting, the cost of the equipment at the start is the main cost but the kits you buy of juice, yeast and finings mean each bottle only costs about 1 euro.

Surprisingly the best wine ive made has come from a kit that only took 7 days to make 25 bottles.

Im using my own grapes at the moment which is far trickier as balancing the ph, tannins, acidity etc is proper science and very difficult to get right but the kits are super simple.
    That's brilliant, but how long do you have to leave it before sampling the fruits of your labours?:D:D:D

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    That's brilliant, but how long do you have to leave it before sampling the fruits of your labours?:D:D:D

I made three 5 litre demijohns last September and tried a new thing this time adding oak chips, decanted 1 of those at christmas and it.... was okay, ive got the other two more still sitting waiting and ill open one up soon, grapes get harvested again in late august early September for 2021 batch.

Anything that I wouldn't drink by itself i usually make a nice summer punch with.

listermint wrote: »
    Can you give some examples.

People thinking the it's a tax.
    People thinking that alcohol from the EU isn't currently taxed.
    People knowing as a fact what exactly MUP will do to a complex and extremely competitive market.
    Claim that Ireland has the highest priced alcohol in Europe.
    People speaking as if alcohol is to be banned.
    And the tone of some of the anger is a bit mad.

Like I said, I am against the introduction of mup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This may have being asked before.
    Does anyone here know how the minimum pricing is structured in Scotland.
    Is it per bottle of beer or per unit alcohol.
    I am just curious...

This may have being asked before.
    Does anyone here know how the minimum pricing is structured in Scotland.
    Is it per bottle of beer or per unit alcohol.
    I am just curious...

50p minimum for a unit of alcohol. a unit is 10 millilitres (8g) of pure alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

50p minimum for a unit of alcohol. a unit is 10 millilitres (8g) of pure alcohol.

Thanks for that, i am now wondering what it was set at before or if anyone here the like with like retail price of say a litre bottle of say 40% stuff comparing Scotland to NI.

Thanks for that, i am now wondering what it was set at before or if anyone here the like with like retail price of say a litre bottle of say 40% stuff comparing Scotland to NI.

it wasn't set at anything before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

If you want to see the difference in prices it’s made in Scotland and Wales simply register for a UK Tesco or Sainsbury’s account with a random Scottish or Welsh postcode.
    For England or NI you won’t need a postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

A lot of unrest at the Blueshirt PP meeting tonight over MUP.
    Varadamir says nothing is agreed, only Frank Feighan spoke in favour.
    I don’t think it will happen anytime soon, all depends on what nut job replaces Snarlene though.
    Well done, did you come up with those names yourself?

People thinking the it's a tax.
    People thinking that alcohol from the EU isn't currently taxed.
    People knowing as a fact what exactly MUP will do to a complex and extremely competitive market.
    Claim that Ireland has the highest priced alcohol in Europe.
    People speaking as if alcohol is to be banned.
    And the tone of some of the anger is a bit mad.

Like I said, I am against the introduction of mup.

Whatever about the rest. I find it amusing you seem to be still on the train that the craft sector and other premium drinks won't separate the gulf to regain their current pricing differential.

There's no evidence anywhere else on earth to back up that . None.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the rest. I find it amusing you seem to be still on the train that the craft sector and other premium drinks won't separate the gulf to regain their current pricing differential.

There's no evidence anywhere else on earth to back up that . None.

Where did I make that claim?
    Oh, yes. I didn't make any such claim.

My only claim is that I, like everyone else, I don't know what will happen.
    Anyone who claims to know what is going to happen is taking through their hoop.

Where did I make that claim?
    Oh, yes. I didn't make any such claim.

My only claim is that I, like everyone else, I don't know what will happen.
    Anyone who claims to know what is going to happen is taking through their hoop.

Well tbh your inferring that premium will be grand something to do with a tight margins etc etc etc it can be seen between your posts frankly.

The existing 3 euro beers from craft sectors will push up to 3.50 nice round number sure the customer can support it and obviously all of the spirits will go up too.

It's not rocket science and anyone saying this will occur just has to look at Scotland's increases as the most recent example.

Not alot of hoop talk required it's how business and premium products operate as they always have. Why do you think that's not true specific reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

I only read 3567 of them.

Regardless, they should have split the windfall between the suppliers and Revenue. All they have done is put more cash in Diageos pockets.

Odd kind of move. Great opportunity to claw back much needed funds

Well tbh your inferring that premium will be grand something to do with a tight margins etc etc etc it can be seen between your posts frankly.

The existing 3 euro beers from craft sectors will push up to 3.50 nice round number sure the customer can support it and obviously all of the spirits will go up too.

It's not rocket science and anyone saying this will occur just has to look at Scotland's increases as the most recent example.

Not alot of hoop talk required it's how business and premium products operate as they always have. Why do you think that's not true specific reasons.

You are forgetting about competition.

Can you provide evidence regarding Scotland?

Regardless, they should have split the windfall between the suppliers and Revenue. All they have done is put more cash in Diageos pockets.

What you are talking about is an excise increase and the reasons they aren't doing that is firstly it would need to be announced in the budget where it would get lots of negative publicity, this way is more confusing for people and shields it via the ironclad pretend excuse of "health". Secondly it would also mean increasing prices and tax for the vintners too and this whole scheme is designed specifically to try to force people back into pubs by only making home drinking more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Newry is in for another motherload. Actually you don’t have to go that far, unless of course you are going to do more shopping.

but that isn't what they are planning. what they are planning is well known. Why bother posting in a thread if you haven't got a clue what people are discussing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

VinLieger wrote: »
    What you are talking about is an excise increase and the reasons they aren't doing that is firstly it would need to be announced in the budget where it would get lots of negative publicity, this way is more confusing for people and shields it via the ironclad pretend excuse of "health". Secondly it would also mean increasing prices and tax for the vintners too and this whole scheme is designed specifically to try to force people back into pubs by only making home drinking more expensive.

I think you are right. Get them back into the pubs. Timed to perfection in the cusp of pub opening.

I wonder how many will instead choose to have friends over for a BBQ and still cheaper booze. No queues, no closing time and no listening to people you would rather not deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whereas what's proposed here is a euro per 10g. Rip-off even if you agree with MUP (and I absolutely don't!)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

For all the huffing and puffing (on both sides), I bet this MUP will have little effect - either on people's behaviour or on health generally.
    • Alcoholics will still find a way to buy what they need.
    • People who prefer drinking in pubs will be unaffected and continue to do so (post-Covid).
    • People who prefer a drink at home won't suddenly become teetotalers or flock to the pubs.

Of course lack of any real impact will be assumed to mean even more MUP is needed - those pushing for this measure are hardly likely to accept any alternative explanation/viewpoint.

Advertisement