Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So because your local shop is alright, then its grand.

You should change your name to Fr "I'm alright" Jack.

Considering shops are already under pressure due to Covid-19, is it really prudent to make things more difficult for them by bringing in this pointless legislation.

Their point was that is was possible that that shop adjusted.

Again, just because something is hard or an inconvenience doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. We hear this everytime new legislation is tried.

Smoking ban was going cause the destruction of the pub trade, Every tightening of the drink driving limit was the signal for the end of social life. Cigarettes behind the counter meant the end of small shops.

Humans are nothing if not creative, if there is money to be made people will find a way

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Their point was that is was possible that that shop adjusted.

Again, just because something is hard or an inconvenience doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. We hear this everytime new legislation is tried.

Smoking ban was going cause the destruction of the pub trade, Every tightening of the drink driving limit was the signal for the end of social life. Cigarettes behind the counter meant the end of small shops.

Humans are nothing if not creative, if there is money to be made people will find a way

that is fine if there is a point to what is being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

*cough*Legalise cannabis*cough*

Watch that stoner's cough dude :pac:

that is fine if there is a point to what is being done.

Totally agree, which I stated in my earlier post.

But the post I was responding to was waking the point that shops would struggle. Not that the law would be unwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,963 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Their point was that is was possible that that shop adjusted. Again, just because something is hard or an inconvenience doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. We hear this everytime new legislation is tried.

Yes it can be overplayed but there's a limit to how much costs you can load onto small businesses before they go under. And people wonder what happened their local X and they have to go to Tesco now for anything.
    It can be very hard to say which straw broke the camel's back.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

But the post I was responding to was waking the point that shops would struggle. Not that the law would be unwise.

shops will struggle. especially smaller ones. and all for no good reason.

The example given which I replied to was a shop which underwent a refurbishment, something which presumeably they had been saving up for and had the funds to do it.

That won't be the case for most shops. This is an additional cost at a time when many are already struggling.

I also think the law is completely pointless and will achieve nothing whatsoever.

I'm off now to buy some alcohol, and even if I had to go down 2 flights of stairs to the basement where it's now being sold, I'd still be going to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/fatal-flaw-in-minimum-alcohol-pricing-1.4335130

A letter in yesterday's Irish Times in which Sean Barrett of TCD outlines the case against MUP from an economic and taxation viewpoint.

Worth remembering that as a Senator he was the only member of the Oireachtas to raise his voice against MUP.

The rest of them swallowed it whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,955 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Last Saturday's Irish TImes had a front page ad saying "alcohol is too cheap". Whatever group is behind it is too cowardly to give their name, but no prizes for guessing :rolleyes:

This is the article Barrett was responding to:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/alcohol-selling-for-pocket-money-prices-says-lobby-group-1.4334312
    “Throughout the Covid-19 crisis we have witnessed a significant shift in alcohol use, with hyper-competitive pricing fuelling a massive surge in off-trade sales and an increase in domestic drinking,” said Dr Joe Barry, adjunct professor of public health medicine at Trinity College Dublin.

Two outright lies in that little paragraph. Everybody could see that there were fewer and less attractive supermarket alcohol offers during lockdown, it was a captive market. And he implies that people were drinking more - yes they were drinking more at home, but nothing in restaurants and pubs.

Overall alcohol consumption went down.

Disgraceful that they can spout stuff like this and the media just parrot it and never challenge it.

Life ain't always empty.

Last Saturday's Irish TImes had a front page ad saying "alcohol is too cheap". Whatever group is behind it is too cowardly to give their name, but no prizes for guessing :rolleyes:

Thread here discussing it querying some of the ABVs and bottle sizes... one blatant mistake:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058106285/1

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Ireland is in second place.[/url]

Lies, damn lies.

Drink must be cheap. Everyone with an agenda or who has never bought a drink anywhere else in the EU says so.

Is that graph relative to average wages or similar benchmark or just a flat price comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People really are conned into thinking there's such thing as cheap in Ireland. Even the UK is so much cheaper. I remember when living in London I could just drop into a corner shop (at any time of the day or night) and buy a can of Zywiec or Tyskie for 1 pound, or cheaper stuff for 80p. This is almost half the price of what you pay here.
    It's not just off licences. In most restaurants here you're lucky to get the cheapest bottle of wine for less than 25 euros, you could nearly always get a 9.99 bottle in London.
    We are already ripped off in this kip but we seem to have a large loud cohort of Holy Joe Nanny State **** who think they know what's best for us, and the media give them plenty of time on the airwaves.
    No person on the street is in favour of MUP, but it's going to happen anyway - that sounds like a dictatorship to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they're so concerned give cards to social welfare recipients and have it it can only pay for essential items, basically anything but drink or smokes.... Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is that graph relative to average wages or similar benchmark or just a flat price comparison?

Relative to EU27 average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Way too much inertia on this topic. The Adam Smith Institute had some interviews on Irish TV against MUP. I am sure they are will to do criticisms for the Irish press if they were encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

People really are conned into thinking there's such thing as cheap in Ireland. Even the UK is so much cheaper. I remember when living in London I could just drop into a corner shop (at any time of the day or night) and buy a can of Zywiec or Tyskie for 1 pound, or cheaper stuff for 80p. This is almost half the price of what you pay here.
    It's not just off licences. In most restaurants here you're lucky to get the cheapest bottle of wine for less than 25 euros, you could nearly always get a 9.99 bottle in London.
    We are already ripped off in this kip but we seem to have a large loud cohort of Holy Joe Nanny State **** who think they know what's best for us, and the media give them plenty of time on the airwaves.
    No person on the street is in favour of MUP, but it's going to happen anyway - that sounds like a dictatorship to me.

drink is cheaper in the uk bought some guiness over there way cheaper and its made here that s a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

drink is cheaper in the uk bought some guiness over there way cheaper and its made here that s a laugh

So is Bailey's and basically anything, there is so much tax and vat added here....

And london is expensive compared to the rest of England.

• Advertisement

And london is expensive compared to the rest of England.

I always found drinking and eating out a good bit cheaper than Dublin, as long as you're not in fancy places in trendy or touristy areas. Eating out here can be so expensive, usually because of the booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,021 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What I have always loved most about this thread is the hyperbole.

[/b]
    What I have always loved most about this thread is the hyperbole.

Pushing something through that no one wants, apart from a few outliers like yourself, is not democratic

Pushing something through that no one wants, apart from a few outliers like yourself, is not democratic

When you say no one wants, on what basis are you saying that?

It certainly wasn't a major, or even minor, talking point in the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it seems to be a charity set up by a Cork guy who made money selling cars https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30971955.html https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/businessman-building-bridge-to-a-more-equal-ireland-1.3734289

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this still hasn't happened gov blaming NI for not implementing it at same time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Something doesnt have to be an election issue to be unwanted. Anyone who buys alcohol obviously doesnt want it and even those who dont buy it cant see the logic in it.

It will affect those on lower incomes dis proportionally more than those on higher incomes and it wont achieve what it proposes to achieve ie: to reduce the amount of alcohol sold and stop problem drinking.

On top of that it creates another cost to the retailer, which again will affect the smaller lower income shops than the big supermarkets.

So all it does it piss everyone off while achieving nothing.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Something doesnt have to be an election issue to be unwanted. Anyone who buys alcohol obviously doesnt want it and even those who dont buy it cant see the logic in it.

It will affect those on lower incomes dis proportionally more than those on higher incomes and it wont achieve what it proposes to achieve ie: to reduce the amount of alcohol sold and stop problem drinking.

On top of that it creates another cost to the retailer, which again will affect the smaller lower income shops than the big supermarkets.

So all it does it piss everyone off while achieving nothing.

well to be fair it does do something. It makes the publican lobby happy.

I've seen a few polls on the issue where 85% or so were against this. I don't know anyone who would agree with these price increases.

• Advertisement

well to be fair it does do something. It makes the publican lobby happy.

And Frances "I can't drink so why should you be able to" Black

Advertisement