Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I havent worked up enough emotional resilience to replay this. Pretty heavy stuff.

I'll wait until there is some sort of PS5 upgrade to the game. I imagine that will be glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Slog? That's your opinion. Uncharted 4 was only 12 hours (Uncharted 2 and 3 were far far more dragged out, coming from someone who LOVES 2) and this was only 20... god imagine if you played The Witcher 3 or the new AC games, you'd die haha.

To be fair there’s a massive difference between open world games that let you complete the story at your own pace and a game that’s incredibly linear that makes you feel your close to the end several times only to find yet another reason to have you go through basically the same thing again.

Anyway it’ll be interesting to see what Naughty Dog do next, looking at their track record they’re at their best when it comes to new IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Stayed up to finish this last night and I'm glad I did, but for the wrong reasons. I'm just glad it's done. :( I loved TLoU.

Disappointing that I played as a character I don't like for a fair percentage of the game. Disappointing that every time a character decided they needed to go somewhere, I was exasperated at the thought of having to travel all the way there to get to the next part of the story. Disappointing that some aspects of the story
    Lev's back story in particular
    felt somewhat shoveled in. I must admit, at the confrontation
    I let Ellie kill me repeatedly as I enjoyed Abby getting shot in the face
    - that's how much I disliked her. I also think they
    killed Joel off way too early

I think I get what they were at, that there was another side to the story, I just didn't care. I thought pieces with
    Abby
    were long, drawn out and tedious.

Some of it was good; someone mentioned the scenes between Joel and Ellie - real tender moments. I love that guy. I'm looking to buy a dog, and Joel is high on the list of potential names just because of him :pac:

I saw someone give it a 6/10 a couple of pages back. That sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,326 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I liked Abby by the end of it.

Just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I thought Abby came across alot better by the end tbh. And that's coming from someone who rushed through the first hour of playing as her as I didn't care about her, but I came around after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

no no no no no
    An abysmal abhorrent abomination
    its's amazing how many ab words you can dredge up immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I liked Abby from the
    first few chapters playing as her
    . It laid out why she did what she did and was understandable. Loved her by the end of it. Also loved how both women were hell bent on revenge but both of their stories played out very differently, not some clear cut revenge story.

ND opened up the world and it wasn't just about Ellie and Joel anymore. Now if we could get some DLC or at least Factions news, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I enjoyed playing as Abbey. I thought she had some of the more interesting set pieces. I wish they found a smarter way to incorporate her story though. A hard reset halfway through the game was a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I liked Abby by the end of it.

Just saying...

I liked that the game turned me from hating Abby to actually seeing her perspective and then hating Ellie for being so one dimensional.

It was tough to like Ellie so much in the first game to then feeling this way about her I will admit.

I liked that the game turned me from hating Abby to actually seeing her perspective and then hating Ellie for being so one dimensional.

It was tough to like Ellie so much in the first game to then feeling this way about her I will admit.

Exactly the same as me.

Of course I agree that the game was a bit bloated and could have been trimmed (but still loved it) but I was full on hating Abby until seeing her perspective, her motives and her experience which changed my views.

I know AAA bashing is the 'in-thing' lately but I loved the storytelling and execution of the plot (slight bloating aside).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Exactly the same as me.

Of course I agree that the game was a bit bloated and could have been trimmed (but still loved it) but I was full on hating Abby until seeing her perspective, her motives and her experience which changed my views.

I know AAA bashing is the 'in-thing' lately but I loved the storytelling and execution of the plot (slight bloating aside).

It was too long, but that gives me hope that ND will realise we don’t need crazy long games. I’d be very happy with an uncharted 3 length game that was tight and told a great story.

I had a lot of fun with the gameplay of TLOU2, but the fact that I could only play in 1 -1.5h bursts because of general life getting away made the story less impactful and effective because I would forget what was happening with the length and swapping of timelines.

I’ll still replay it again and I’m saving that for the PS5 patch (provided it’s free that is).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I remember people complaining about how Uncharted 2 was too short (despite being the only perfectly paced full-length game Naughty Dog has made). I blame them :pac:

That balance between 'Ah, that game was too short, I could have played another 10 hours of that!' and 'Ah, this game is fooking never-ending!!!' seems to be a hard one for game companies to master.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That balance between 'Ah, that game was too short, I could have played another 10 hours of that!' and 'Ah, this game is fooking never-ending!!!' seems to be a hard one for game companies to master.

Keep your game at 8 to 12 hours if it's an action game. 20 to 50 for a rpg.

That's all they need.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Keep your game at 8 to 12 hours if it's an action game. 20 to 50 for a rpg.

That's all they need.

Nah. Not every story can be told in 12 hours. That'd be approximately half the length of TLOU2. We can all agree it was too long but the story wouldn't have worked (for the majority) if that had to be sliced by 50% or 66%.

There's no template. Lengths are relevant to the games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The story was t worth telling over 25 hours and plenty of it was totally inconsequential.

It was in dire need of editing amongst it's other sins.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The story was t worth telling over 25 hours and plenty of it was totally inconsequential.

It was in dire need of editing amongst it's other sins.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

In your opinion, which is fine but I doubt the majority would agree.

Mad to think the game was actually a lot longer, especially the ending location which was originally way more open planned. Saying that, on my 2nd run for the platinum, i flew through it on easy. When you don't have to worry about stealth, the combat sections go much quicker so could be they just put in too many action set pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Mad to think the game was actually a lot longer, especially the ending location which was originally way more open planned. Saying that, on my 2nd run for the platinum, i flew through it on easy. When you don't have to worry about stealth, the combat sections go much quicker so could be they just put in too many action set pieces.

was one of my issues with the game,I eventually just found myself running past mobs when I got too tired of the gameplay loop

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It did begin to feel like Return of the King.
    "Okay so it's over... Nope still going... Now it's over... Nope another bit yet"

Can't remember if I said but I did laugh when they were tasting Dina as being all delicate when
    we find out she's pregnant
    then later on we see
    a fully pregnant Mel running, jumping and climbing better than most non pregnant people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Whats the purpose of the trailer? I presumed there'd be a PS5 upgrade reveal at the end.

Penn wrote: »
    Whats the purpose of the trailer? I presumed there'd be a PS5 upgrade reveal at the end.

"2 sides to every story" according to Neil but yeah, bit weird. Maybe something gonna be announced for game awards. Eddie Vedder will be playing at it, would be shocked if he doesn't play future days and then a ps5 version announcement of factions news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Is there any word on the ps5 patch? I finished the game once but want to platinum it but I'll wait for the ps5 version assuming it's coming soon. I'd imagine it'll look the same but in 60fps or else raytrace the thing to within an inch of its life. Either way I'd be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Big story spoilers in that latest trailer, I'd be pissed if I had seen that before playing the game.

Penn wrote: »

Nothing other than to get the game trending during the holiday season

Get those xmas sales in before the game hits the bargain bins.

dudeeile wrote: »
    Big story spoilers in that latest trailer, I'd be pissed if I had seen that before playing the game.

The game's out how long at this stage. If you were that precious about spoilers you should have probably played the game by now.

Advertisement