Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active Shooter on campus. Run Hide Fight.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Clarebelly wrote: »
    Run Hide Fight?

I'd be more inclined to zig-zag......

Drop, duck and roll.

radia wrote: »

Yes... "Watch this instructional video as someone is trying to kill you"

According to reports, he is now dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Why the f*ck would armed, body suited, trained police officers tell scared, unarmed kids to fight???

in fairness,the advice to fight is offered as a last resort. in practice most people are too frightened to act coherently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

If you can dodge a wrench you can do dodge a bullet

If you can dodge a wrench you can do dodge a bullet

if the wrench is travelling as 1280 feet/sec , i.e. slightly faster then the speed of sound ........????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭brevity

Gatling wrote: »
    Every class room has simple items that could easily be used to defend yourself

Grab the trusty compass from the Oxford Maths Set tin!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

brevity wrote: »
    Grab the trusty compass from the Oxford Maths Set tin!

Fire extinguisher would be my first choice

Gatling wrote: »
    Fire extinguisher would be my first choice

when faced with a shooter , you have two opportunities , one from a position of surprise, the other on a reload event.

A position of surprise is difficult to achieve and a reload event can be hard to judge unless you have specific weapons training and have a understanding of the ammunition position of the shooter

weapons that reach over a distance are obviously useful, weapons that require you to close on the shooter are problematic

the key thing is that you must disable the shooter when you fight. otherwise presenting a non aggressive posture may on fact be better

its hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

This is why we all need to carry, never know when you'll need to defend yourself

This is why we all need to carry, never know when you'll need to defend yourself

indeed , the situation in the US is now so out of control that, that the only solution is arming everyone from age 10 up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Read earlier that there was 61 people shot over the weekend in Chicago alone.

The US has a major gun problem.

america has a person problem not a gun problem

61 dead over a weekend how many in poor black neighborhoods in drug and petty disputes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

mynamejeff wrote: »

61 dead over a weekend how many in poor black neighborhoods in drug and petty disputes

61 shootings in Chicago over the weekend, not deaths. 9 people died as a result.

Still bad though obv.

mynamejeff wrote: »

err no, its has a person problem, compounded by the ease of owning extremely powerful light arms. The US doesnt have any more nutters then anywhere else, its just there, ALL the nutters are armed

I'm reading reports that this wasn't a shooting, the victims have stab wounds and possibly more than one attacker. And also a fire alarm was set off and people were intentionally run over when they left the building.

Edit: confirmed not to be a shooting. A person ran over people and then got out of the car and started attacking them with a knife. He was shot by a police officer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Looks like the only person shot was the attacker, who first attempted to ram a crowd with his car, then started stabbing people.

No serious injuries, other than to the attacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm reading reports that this wasn't a shooting, the victims have stab wounds and possibly more than one attacker. And also a fire alarm was set off and people were intentionally run over when they left the building.

Edit: confirmed not to be a shooting. A person ran over people and then got out of the car and started attacking them with a knife. He was shot by a police officer.

Didn't ISIS call for attacks with cars very recently? Mind you they always calling for crazy s h it. Delighted the fcukwit is dead whoever he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

STUDENT used OPEN CARRY
    But, it failed!

Oodoov wrote: »
    Didn't ISIS call for attacks with cars very recently? Mind you they always calling for crazy s h it. Delighted the fcukwit is dead whoever he is.

Apparently the police officer arrived on the scene within a minute of the attack starting. Good work there, no doubt he/she prevented a lot more injuries and possible deaths.

I suppose we'll have people complaining soon that the perpetrator was killed rather than just disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Delicious, wasn't it? The initial, usual, " Ooh! Ooh! Nasty, nasty guns! Big Problem! Take them all away!

Err ..... No. It was some c**t with a motor and a knife. Stopped by someone with a gun.

And the silence was palpable! :D

Stigura wrote: »
    Delicious, wasn't it? The initial, usual, " Ooh! Ooh! Nasty, nasty guns! Big Problem! Take them all away!

Err ..... No. It was some c**t with a motor and a knife. Stopped by someone with a gun.

And the silence was palpable! :D

stopped by a police officer with a gun, an entirely legitimate process, available in many countries not just the USA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yes... "Watch this instructional video as someone is trying to kill you"

According to reports, he is now dead.

Where the hell did you derive that from? It's shown at inductions and the likes. It doesn't automatically come on the TV if there's a shooter in the vicinity...

USA needs to change some policies rapidly, unless situations like this become so normal that it's not even reported anymore.

Where the hell did you derive that from? It's shown at inductions and the likes. It doesn't automatically come on the TV if there's a shooter in the vicinity...

USA needs to change some policies rapidly, unless situations like this become so normal that it's not even reported anymore.

What policies? It wasn't a shooting

BoatMad wrote: »
    stopped by a police officer with a gun, an entirely legitimate process, available in many countries not just the USA

Ahh; The old, " Only properly trained police officers with guns ever stop criminals with guns " come back?

What next? The " Armed civilians would only cause a slaughterfest. All shooting at eachother , indiscriminately. " one? :rolleyes:

Ahh; The old, " Only properly trained police officers with guns ever stop criminals with guns " come back?

What next? The " Armed civilians would only cause a slaughterfest. All shooting at eachother , indiscriminately. " one? :rolleyes:

it depends on your philosophy , is it the function of the state to ensure the security of its citizens or is it the function of the citizenry itself, different options exist on either side of the Atlantic.

whats I did say , was that the US is well past the point of no return, so in fact arming everyone is the only solution. Is that a travesty, yes, in my opinion, as it lets the state of the hook, but in the US there is no other solution at this time

Yep. Far too many motor owners in America! And, as for their completely out of control Knife ownership?! Hillary would have sorted that out!

For pities sake .....

Why couldn't the exact same thing happen here? Then what policies should we change?

it depends on your philosophy

My philosophy, BoatMad, is that, as long as guns exist? I'd be fine with us All having them.

What was that old slogan, from the 'Wild West'? Colt, or someone? Basically said that a gun, in each parties hands, equalised things. I firmly hold by that tenet too.

I'm a civilian, through and through. Yet, Twice I've found myself staring down the barrel of a gun. It's not nice. Having your life held in the hand of some guy who happens to be holding a bit of hardware that can Really spoil your day, on his whim? It's nasty.

If I was given the option of carrying a personal weapon, would I avail myself of it? Hell, yeah! I'd take what ever training the state required. I'd agree to abide by the rules of engagement. I'd be a much happier person.

Not looking for an idealogical argument here. Just stating my personal view :)

My philosophy, BoatMad, is that, as long as guns exist? I'd be fine with us All having them.

What was that old slogan, from the 'Wild West'? Colt, or someone? Basically said that a gun, in each parties hands, equalised things. I firmly hold by that tenet too.

I'm a civilian, through and through. Yet, Twice I've found myself staring down the barrel of a gun. It's not nice. Having your life held in the hand of some guy who happens to be holding a bit of hardware that can Really spoil your day, on his whim? It's nasty.

If I was given the option of carrying a personal weapon, would I avail myself of it? Hell, yeah! I'd take what ever training the state required. I'd agree to abide by the rules of engagement. I'd be a much happier person.

Not looking for an idealogical argument here. Just stating my personal view :)

I have considerable familiarity with small arms, there is no evidence that arming a population make anywhere safer . The stats in the US show that uniquely , outside war zones, that gun related homicides are way way above any comparable society. Guns engender an entirely false sense of security as is clearly shown in the US.

However , thats a bye the bye, The situation is the US is clearly out of control, proliferation and carry laws after the Scalia and other recent SCOTUS judgements have meant that debate as it relates to guns in the US is pointless, far too many are in circulation and the ability to remove them from society is impossible

Hence my comment that the only solution is to arm everyone, in fact I would go as far as to say the compulsory carrying and wearing of sidearms should be legal for all adults , especially in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

#trudeaueulogy
    My deepest condolences to the family of A. Muhammad
    He was known for his love of cutlery & appreciation of cars

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I would go as far as to say the compulsory carrying and wearing of sidearms should be legal for all adults , especially in schools.

:confused: Hang on ..... Are we not singing from the same sheet here, so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

:confused: Hang on ..... Are we not singing from the same sheet here, so?

Yes unfortunately by the sounds of it

Advertisement