Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getflix.com smart DNS lifetime subscription $29

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Is it same as Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ozmo wrote: »
    Does this still work for you guys? The lifetime offer for $35 is still valid was thinking of getting it as the Irish NF lineup is so bad.

Yes, they are still in business. I don't use it for Netflix though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Is it same as Netflix?

No, it basically changes your location, so you can access US and international versions of a service. Eg. UK or US shows you can't watch outside that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

grogi wrote: »
    Yes, they are still in business. I don't use it for Netflix though.

Cool - do you think it would work for netflix though? All other options seem to be blocked...
    Or if anyone has a better method and wants to give me a hint it would be appreciated :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

ozmo wrote: »
    Cool - do you think it would work for netflix though? All other options seem to be blocked...
    Or if anyone has a better method and wants to give me a hint it would be appreciated :)

I use it for Netflix all the time. Occasionally stops working, but they generally have a fix very quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Chieftain wrote:
    I use it for Netflix all the time. Occasionally stops working, but they generally have a fix very quickly

Is it difficult to set up for non techies? Or anything in particular that would stop it from working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

rawn wrote: »
    Is it difficult to set up for non techies? Or anything in particular that would stop it from working?

If you know how to change your WIFI password, you will be able to set this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Ok. Thanks. I don't require it in this case.
    tedpan wrote: »
    No, it basically changes your location, so you can access US and international versions of a service. Eg. UK or US shows you can't watch outside that country.

So.. now I can see USA site - and Its not as good as I remember when I saw it two years ago - lots of content that's on the Irish Site is missing from the USA - British stuff like Doctor Who gone now but even USA shows like 12 Monkeys are not present.

Apart from couple movies - it wasn't great at all to be honest.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

ozmo wrote:
    So.. now I can see USA site - and Its not as good as I remember when I saw it two years ago - lots of content that's on the Irish Site is missing from the USA - British stuff like Doctor Who gone now but even USA shows like 12 Monkeys are not present.

The Canada site is supposed to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I have a subscription. Can someone point me to the instructions on how to set this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

MaceFace wrote: »
    I have a subscription. Can someone point me to the instructions on how to set this up?

getflix.com would be a good place to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

degsie wrote: »
    getflix.com would be a good place to start

You know, I was going to say something along the lines of "you think", but when I logged in to the website, it told me my IP address was not in sync, so after updating, it works!
    The problem was that I was relying upon the IOS App to update the IP address, and it wouldn't update properly...

Sorted now though. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I use this all the time but mostly for BBC iplayer. It didn't work for Netflix. Is it back working??

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Mine stopped working for BBC iplayer. Although it gives me a UK IP address when checked, I get an error message from the BBC site as if I'm outside UK, so I reckon BBC kinda copped on I'm using a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

m4r10 wrote: »
    Mine stopped working for BBC iplayer. Although it gives me a UK IP address when checked, I get an error message from the BBC site as if I'm outside UK, so I reckon BBC kinda copped on I'm using a VPN.

BBC doesn't work with too many VPNs but it does work with the Getflix smart DNS.

bromley52 wrote: »
    BBC doesn't work with too many VPNs but it does work with the Getflix smart DNS.

Do you have Getflix set on the router or just on the LAN settings? Mine is on the latter, not that it would make a difference if I would set it on router.

BTW, just remembered ITV is working fine, that's why I thought BBC might've blocked somehow VPNs.

Do you have Getflix set on the router or just on the LAN settings? Mine is on the latter, not that it would make a difference if I would set it on router.

BTW, just remembered ITV is working fine, that's why I thought BBC might've blocked somehow VPNs.

I have the DNS address added to the router. The VPN when I try it works with ITV alright but never BBC. They all work with the smart DNS.

I have the DNS address added to the router. The VPN when I try it works with ITV alright but never BBC. They all work with the smart DNS.

Thanks for that. Gonna try and add it to the router and see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Chromecast will not work with that way, they by default use 8.8.8.8 DNSes. You need to block 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 too, then it will fall back to local server.

But BBC works fine through the desktop.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Chromecast will not work with that way, they by default use 8.8.8.8 DNSes. You need to block 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 too, then it will fall back to local server.

But BBC works fine through the desktop.

I use static routes for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Mine was working last night, watched iPlayer.
    Using Getflix as DNS provider. Have GetFlix UK DNS as DNS 1 and Ireland DNS as DNS 2 on my player directly (Fire TV box v1).

Have OpenVPN set at router, I don't expect that makes any difference.

Obviously if you're using Chromecast instead of a dedicated media player there's a few shenanigans you have to perform at router level to block Google DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Getflix is working fine for me for BBC player on the phone,firestick and laptop. I was having problems with Chromecast but I suppose that's to be expected.

BBC iplayer was down on getfllix for a few weeks but it's been fixed as of the last week or so. Maybe consider restarting and clearing cache etc on phones and tabs and seeing if it helps.
    Have you checked in on the Getflix site and updated your IP address if trying to use from a desktop?

Anyway else find they regularly have to "update IP" on the getflix site? I find I need to do it every 2 or three days or it will block sites like BBC, Amazon altogether. It's very annoying, I've never encountered it with a dns service before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Getflix is working fine for me for BBC player on the phone,firestick and laptop. I was having problems with Chromecast but I suppose that's to be expected.

BBC iplayer was down on getfllix for a few weeks but it's been fixed as of the last week or so. Maybe consider restarting and clearing cache etc on phones and tabs and seeing if it helps.
    Have you checked in on the Getflix site and updated your IP address if trying to use from a desktop?

Anyway else find they regularly have to "update IP" on the getflix site? I find I need to do it every 2 or three days or it will block sites like BBC, Amazon altogether. It's very annoying, I've never encountered it with a dns service before.

I update mine daily. Have done it in the past with other services. I think its because the IP address isnt static.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

adox wrote: »
    I update mine daily. Have done it in the past with other services. I think its because the IP address isnt static.

I used Unblockus for years and never had to do it once. Glad I'm not alone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

adox wrote: »

i update mine everyday as well, is there a way to setup a static ip for a vodafone router

Using DNS - and no VPN - BBC IPlayer worked for me last night,
    Couldnt see the option anywhere to change it to NF Canada like someone here suggested - pretty sure I saw it last week - but only option was one USA Region and your Home Location last night.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

How are people finding this after a while?

Signed up for a trial yesterday and set up quickly inputting DNS settings onto Xbox One for using US Netflix - worked fine but couldn't get streams any higher than 720p - would this be the norm?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I haven't noticed a dip in quality on the Fire TV but I'm only watching on a 32 inch screen sitting a fair distance away.

I do remember when I used Unblock US a few years back I would never get full HD if I was streaming from another region though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

UK Amazon Video was working great and getting 4k, just struggling with US netflix

Might try it again with the settings input on the router rather than the Xbox and see if it makes any difference

Advertisement