Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love Travellers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Wasn't there an AMA with a traveller last year?

Admins set it up and then got pissy because kept asking legitimate and warranted questions about where travellers get their income.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Admins set it up and then got pissy because kept asking legitimate and warranted questions about where travellers get their income.:rolleyes:

To be fair people were confusing a boards 'Ask me certain stuff which the mods/Admins will permit' with a reddit 'Ask me Anything'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

I don't know any personally. I also don't know any transgender people (unless they are good at it). And I don't know any traveller transgender people.

There's not many threads for those living my sheltered life, but all going well I will be watching the LLTS next friday. Don't push me cos. I'm. close. to. the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone looking for gates do ya a good deal.

The hiace has a plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Crikey.
    Ye may forget about the rare foreign persons of a different colour or language, etc:
    the real genuine dyed-in-the-wool racism is right here, alive and kicking, aimed at native Irish people and listening to nothing but its own prejudice.
    Ye should be ashamed of yourselves.
    Every human person is an individual with a unique dignity and destiny.
    Imagine if you had been born in the Traveller community? imagine if you didn't have a flush toilet? Imagine if all that prejudice were aimed at you?
    I repeat, fine words of liberal tolerance for pluralism and suchlike turn to ashes, if not backed up by conviction and action.
    Treat people as people. That's the holy all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Crikey.
    Ye may forget about the rare foreign persons of a different colour or language, etc:
    the real genuine dyed-in-the-wool racism is right here, alive and kicking, aimed at native Irish people and listening to nothing but its own prejudice.
    Ye should be ashamed of yourselves.
    Every human person is an individual with a unique dignity and destiny.
    Imagine if you had been born in the Traveller community? imagine if you didn't have a flush toilet? Imagine if all that prejudice were aimed at you?
    I repeat, fine words of liberal tolerance for pluralism and suchlike turn to ashes, if not backed up by conviction and action.
    Treat people as people. That's the holy all of it.

Calling them a different race is racist. Holy shame on you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Schwiiing wrote: »

To be fair that user put herself forward to answer general questions about traveller life and culture as well as she could answer but a certain section decided to hijack the thread with questions which they would have known she was unable to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Any traveller folk on boards?

They got scared off by the idiots when a girl did an AMA and was ridiculed and insulted for her trouble.

Have a lot of travellers come into my job. Very polite and courteous. It's the settled people who cause the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

They got scared off by the idiots when a girl did an AMA and was ridiculed and insulted for her trouble.

Have a lot of travellers come into my job. Very polite and courteous. It's the settled people who cause the problems.

True. I used to sell Ford parts so I got a lot of travellers looking for transit bits. Always fair enough and kind of fun to haggle with. Chancers always want it cheaper but never an issue.

In the bars? Altogether different story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Honest question lads.

Do they pay bin charges like the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Honest question lads.

County Council provide them at at least one halting site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Honest question lads.

I think they are on pay by weight. The council is still working on how to weigh smoke.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Id ate chips out of John Connors boxers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

It's the settled people who cause the problems.

I despise this term. Who are you calling settled?. Non travellers aren't called settled people ffs. Settled travellers are settled. We don't need a term such as settled ffs go get a grip and stop listening to Rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I despise this term. Who are you calling settled?. Non travellers aren't called settled people ffs. Settled travellers are settled. We don't need a term such as settled ffs go get a grip and stop listening to Rte.

Historically, all humans were nomadic: a few still are.

So yes, everyone else is "settled" - and would become nomadic again as soon as they had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Honest question lads.

No they throw it over the wall and let the council handle it here in Galway, maybe we should all try this sure is better than paying a couple of hundred a year to have it collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

No they throw it over the wall and let the council handle it here in Galway, maybe we should all try this sure is better than paying a couple of hundred a year to have it collected.

It's way more common than we think. There's one lad I work with who doesn't pay for bins but just launched his rubbish anywhere. As long as there's nothing in the rubbish to identify him he's in the clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

FortySeven wrote: »
    True. I used to sell Ford parts so I got a lot of travellers looking for transit bits. Always fair enough and kind of fun to haggle with. Chancers always want it cheaper but never an issue.

In the bars? Altogether different story.

Are they called travellers because they are always in transit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

RayM wrote: »
    One of them fixed my lawnmower once.
    Was that after they had swiped it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Oodoov wrote: »
    I plead the 5th.

You plead the deletion of two sections that recognised the special position of the Catholic Church and that recognised other named religious denominations?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Imagine if you had been born in the Traveller community? imagine if you didn't have a flush toilet?
    If you don't have a flush toilet in Ireland today, it is almost entirely by choice. That's the difference. "The Man" isn't holding Travellers back, quite the opposite in fact, the Irish nation through the state and our taxes fund that Traveller lifestyle. Well the basic funding anyway. Traveller culture is a self imposed apartheid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I live right in the edge of a traveling community and have done for 20 years now.
    Like all communities, there is some good eggs and some bad. They tend to fight amongst themselves but have never, ever given us one ounce of trouble. The most you'd get would be a cheeky child or two talking to ya but that's it. Dad has traded copper with them for some extra dosh and they have asked for his help coz he's known as a handy man. They've always paid up immediately for any of his work and are grateful.
    Some of the older settled traveler's are some of the nicest people you can meet and we are lucky to know them.

There are some awful wasters and ****ehawkers in there too and you'd love to give them a shoe up the hole.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Some of the older settled traveler's are some of the nicest people you can meet and we are lucky to know them.
    That's been my experience too. I have personally found the "settled" folks quite different to the nomadic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Wibbs wrote: »
    If you don't have a flush toilet in Ireland today, it is almost entirely by choice. That's the difference. "The Man" isn't holding Travellers back, quite the opposite in fact, the Irish nation through the state and our taxes fund that Traveller lifestyle. Well the basic funding anyway. Traveller culture is a self imposed apartheid.

This.

Travellers have the same chances we all have. They just don't utilise them.

I have no problems with travellers as people, my neighbours are a traveller family and I've work with them before, always found them friendly and pleasant. Their lifestyle however I have major issues with, arranged marriages for teenagers, a blase attitude to their kids education, very narrow gender roles etc. The biggest barrier to travellers getting on is travellers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Great bunch of lads.

You're mistaking them with the Chinese, an easy mistake to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Historically, all humans were nomadic: a few still are.

So yes, everyone else is "settled" - and would become nomadic again as soon as they had to.

Historically all human's were cannabal incestuous apes. Maybe we should start referring to Joe Blogs the fish monger with a house in tallaght as a settled ex cannabal still incestuous bastardised monkey off spring. You know...to be historically factual :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Little settled traveller kid used to play with my kids and their mates on the local green and he was a polite nice little fella but his other siblings went around like animals. Ditto parents. Felt sorry for the kid. Talk about the deck being stacked against you.

My (and friends and family) experiences with travellers have unfortunately been unfailingly negative.

Although I'd (still) be willing to give everybody a chance one on one, I would in no way opt to risk living anywhere near travellers if I had a choice. As a poster said, as a 'culture' they're their own worst enemy and need to address that.

Some of these misty-eyed anecdotes about them repairing tins and whatnot sound like recycled lore about travelers from my father's generation, not modern day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Travellers bullyed the crap out of my younger brother in primary school. Physical and emotional and never once was anything done about it and despite my mother going up.
    Other people ask after my brother today, nearly 20 years on, and nearly always mention how bad the bullying was and how nice a child my brother was.
    He was a gentle soul and never said boo to anyone.
    One day he stood up for himself and fought back. The mother got a phone call from principal asking to take my brother home because he was fighting. She was told if he did it again, he'd have to look at another school.
    The traveller kids, did not get in any trouble nor were parents called nor did they have to go home nor were they called to the office.
    A lot of travelers are pure scum (some are lovely people) but they way they are treated by some 'settled' people makes it all worse.
    The way the school handled the situation was sickening. My brother got all the blame for being horrendously bullied and standing up for himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Travellers bullyed the crap out of my younger brother in primary school. Physical and emotional and never once was anything done about it and despite my mother going up.
    Other people ask after my brother today, nearly 20 years on, and nearly always mention how bad the bullying was and how nice a child my brother was.
    He was a gentle soul and never said boo to anyone.
    One day he stood up for himself and fought back. The mother got a phone call from principal asking to take my brother home because he was fighting. She was told if he did it again, he'd have to look at another school.
    The traveller kids, did not get in any trouble nor were parents called nor did they have to go home nor were they called to the office.
    A lot of travelers are pure scum (some are lovely people) but they way they are treated by some 'settled' people makes it all worse.
    The way the school handled the situation was sickening. My brother got all the blame for being horrendously bullied and standing up for himself.

time to move on and let it go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement