Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love Travellers

Options
  • 27-11-2016 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

We need to show more love to our travellers. We're a small nation so actually being ethnically diverse enough to have a minority to love and care for is a blessing.

I love everything about travellers. Their diverse culture of music, craft making and salesmanship can do business acumen is to be both admired and respected.

Let this thread be full of good stories where we share stories of good encounters with our friends.

I'll start. I haven't any. Looking forward to spreading the love.

Let's raise a "Latte" to travellers!

LATTE 2016

Love All The Travellers Equally

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Paved point will be along with an award for you.

I think you needs to step away from the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

I'll start. I haven't any. Looking forward to spreading the love.

I don't have any either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

The travellers genetically are actually more irish and less diverse than the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My home growing up was mile from Halting site

Bar the stealing of sheep, horses, harressing neighbours from time to time, throwing rubbish on every ditch, been loud and off their heads looking for fights, robbing 2 old Men of 89 and 91 at 2.30 am in morning, they were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

My six year old son had a birthday party and invited a number of his class mates, one of which was a young traveler lad. We found out after that his mother cried tears of joy as it was the first party he was ever invited too.

The little bollox never turned up:D:D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Bar the stealing of sheep, horses, harressing neighbours from time to time, throwing rubbish on every ditch, been loud and off their heads looking for fights, robbing 2 old Men of 89 and 91 at 2.30 am in morning, they were fine.

And if you throw them out of a pub, they'll shout the racism card. A blot on our landscape, I say, quoting Mr.Sharpe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

shyte in a bucket is a cultural phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I went to Primary school with them. I made very good friends with one chap in particular, I often wonder where he is now.

The other boys were oftentimes hostile towards them though, the first time I heard the term knacker was in Primary school. That type of language certainly wasn't used at home.

It's such a shame that certain members conform to the stereotype of criminality. In the Midlands town where I live there is a massive problem with traveller crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I had the joy of being the only witness to a culturally enriching brawl in a bar I was working alone.

I found it fascinating watching a man and a woman trading punches before they started throwing the furniture.

I felt so culturally enriched that I telephoned the garda to come and share some of my warm comforting glow but was told since I served them drink it was all mine to enjoy. They declined my invitation and hung up the phone.

After the display of ethnic problem solving I felt so in awe of the powerful and unique culture that my cultural enrichment had me trembling and I could barely hold the large glass of whisky I had poured myself after I had bolted the doors behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

I plead the 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Any traveller folk on boards?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I regularly head up to the airport to be there for travellers bored between connecting flights.
    What?
    Oh, you mean those travellers?
    Oh God, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

My kitchen window wa broken the other evening by a kid. Guess who told me who it was? A young traveller neighbour of all people. I even slipped him a fiver afterwards to say thanks.

What's even more amazing was it was a Romanian kid who broke the window, and I managed to extract the price of a new window off his father!
    (I might have mentioned to him that he was either paying for my window or his own window, his choice.;))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My car broke down and while lots of people drove past, travellers were the only people who stopped to offer help.
    I'm doing this wrong, aren't I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I lived near some Travellers for a few years. They seemed grand. They lived in caravans on the roadside and kept their little piece of land in very good condition. One of them fixed my lawnmower once.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My car broke down and while lots of people drove past, travellers were the only people who stopped to offer help.
    I'm doing this wrong, aren't I.

Help take the wheels off.

Come on tell the truth it wasn't your car either.

Help take the wheels off.

Come on tell the truth it wasn't your car either.

Actually it happened twice. I got stuck in the mud when I pulled in and two traveller men came along. One got into the drivers seat and I thought a look passed between them- I admit I had my doubts. The other pushed and between them got it out for me.

The lovely person I'd pulled in for didn't bother.

Actually it happened twice. I got stuck in the mud when I pulled in and two traveller men came along. One got into the drivers seat and I thought a look passed between them- I admit I had my doubts. The other pushed and between them got it out for me.

The lovely person I'd pulled in for didn't bother.

I've seen this a lot, organising dogging on the internet without first scouting the site for suitability. Can get messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Any traveller folk on boards?

Wasn't there an AMA with a traveller last year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Travellers are lovely?I'm 45 hopefully I can meet one.

FortySeven wrote: »
    I've seen this a lot, organising dogging on the internet without first scouting the site for suitability. Can get messy.

It was way too cold for dogging! Snowy slush on the ground. It was about a few years ago.

It was way too cold for dogging! Snowy slush on the ground. It was about a few years ago.

I believe ya! *

*thousands wouldn't. :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FortySeven wrote: »
    Dogging? He he he

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ah you're being modest with the truth...tell us what they were really like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

shut up OP ya junkies bastard ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Laeot wrote: »
    shut up OP ya junkies bastard ..

Racist cnut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

My granny used to live right beside them, best security in town, no one was robbing you if you lived beside tinkers. Also they used to repair her metal kettles many moons ago. Never caused trouble either (couldnt really mess with neighbours too close to home). cant complain, wouldnt say i admired them though either

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

3 pages and this thread is still open. Must be a record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,867 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

As we speak they are out there robbing everyone to fund their Christmas. It happens this time every year, lot's of robberies of late.
    http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111130081/4474279-4903452271-Chris.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement