Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love Travellers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I despise this term. Who are you calling settled?. Non travellers aren't called settled people ffs. Settled travellers are settled. We don't need a term such as settled ffs go get a grip and stop listening to Rte.

Settled travellers are settled travellers. If I was referring to them I would have put "traveller" at the end of the word "settled".

The fact that I didn't points to these settled people not being travellers previously.

I prefer News talk !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have a young traveller guy helping me restore an old boat he is keen to learn and a very hard worker in all weather, as I can't pass on my skills to my own son it's been a pleasure to have this young lad around and to teach him that anything is possible if you put your mind to it and make your own chances in life, I guess this could go for every young person just in my case he happens to be a traveller and a very kind and helpful one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

time to move on and let it go
    That's easy for you to say as you don't have to deal with the problems this can have on someone going in to adulthood and the consequences when this ripples out to family and friends,all because a school was to intimidated or PC to choose to not deal with everyone equally.

Traveller children are beaten, stoked,baited and bullied in to fighting and boxing from an early age which turns a lot of them very aggressive at a very young age towards outsiders.

It would be wrong to tar all travellers with the same brush but the travelling community as a whole needs to acknowledge that there is issues within. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen any time soon.

I must say though that i get a good giggle out of all the BKB videos posted online with the Joyces and McGinleys. :D

In fairness, he is highlighting arguably the main issue in that the elephant remains in the room and is either ignored or accommodated. There has been no pro-activity from either the travelling community or the government et-al in terms of ensuring that we all work together to achieve a result for the common good of everyone.

Instead we have mindless boll0cksology between lobby groups, unions and the government and no integration comes about as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

That's a very callous and ignorant comment. I'm sure if he could just let go off years off emotional and physical bullying he would.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    That's a very callous and ignorant comment. I'm sure if he could just let go off years off emotional and physical bullying he would.

The fact that there was no one to turn to was probably the worst part. Those responsible for his safety fundamentally FAILED him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

I've met plenty of travellers and while you can have your "we're all individuals" argument, at the end of the day they identify THEMSELVES as a distinct culture so I feel 100% within my rights to criticise that culture as disgusting and utterly incompatible with any modern civilised decent society.

Would you say the same to a victim of child abuse? Maybe travellers can "move on" but they certainly can't "let go" of their vicious anti-social nature.

I've met plenty of travellers and while you can have your "we're all individuals" argument, at the end of the day they identify THEMSELVES as a distinct culture so I feel 100% within my rights to criticise that culture as disgusting and utterly incompatible with any modern civilised decent society.

Agreed. The travelling community has a problem and the sooner they and these idiots in suits realise it the better for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

And that is the biggest issue. Travellers identify themselves as different, feel the right to act differently than the general populous in terms of culture, behaviour towards each other and custom, and then complain when anyone else points out they are different.

Would you say the same to a victim of child abuse? Maybe travellers can "move on" but they certainly can't "let go" of their vicious anti-social nature.

This boils down to lack of education and integration. Their leaders need to take more responsibility.

Worth noting that Andy Lee is a member of the travelling community. He's a guy i would have a great deal of respect for. He hasnt forgotten where he has come from but rather than adapting a persecution complex like others, he broadened his spectrum. John Connors on the other hand while I admire what he has achieved and i think hes a fine actor, the man suffers an unbelievable persecution complex

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

This thread is a joke right. I don't have one positive word to say about knackers. So here I won't say anything at all.

Rainman16 wrote: »
    This thread is a joke right. I don't have one positive word to say about knackers. So here I won't say anything at all.

But you have? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I despise this term. Who are you calling settled?. Non travellers aren't called settled people ffs. Settled travellers are settled. We don't need a term such as settled ffs go get a grip and stop listening to Rte.

I bet you're cis-gendered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I have one positive thing to say about travellers: they do a lot of things which we all wish we had the balls to do.

I remember when I was on the dole, and sign-on days were always particularly annoying because sometimes you could spend up to an hour in the queue. You'd be waiting in line anyway, pretending to take an interest in the available jobs on the notice board, when four or five of them, in wellies and leather jackets, would saunter in and duck underneath all of the velvet rope things en route to going straight to the top of the queue. This happened every single month.

You'd look over at the security guard and every month he'd be focusing on a tiny speck of dirt on the wall, or looking down at his shoes, or staring at the ceiling when this was happening. And when you do catch his eye, he gives you a look of, 'Sorry folks but they're not paying me enough to do something about this'.

Like everyone else I was appalled the beginning - though no swinging dick ever dared to say anything - but over time I began to respect them for doing it. They couldn't have given any less of a f*ck and I have to admit that sort of brazeness was a bit refreshing.

The best bit was the wellies, though. This is South Dublin so there's absolutely no need for wellington boots - unless of course you're working! They didn't care one bit that their footwear was a blatant sign that they were working and collecting job seekers at the same time. And if nobody confronts them then they'll continue to break the rules; whether it's dole fraud or skipping a queue. And fair play to them for ripping the piss out of a society which treats them like the mafia.

In a lot of cases, we're the problem - not them.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Like everyone else I was appalled the beginning - though no swinging dick ever dared to say anything - but over time I began to respect them for doing it. They couldn't have given any less of a f*ck and I have to admit that sort of brazeness was a bit refreshing.
    How dafuque is "they do what they like" a good thing? So if they deck you and steal your dole for the week they are just being free spirits and giving two fingers to the man?
    Like I said. Incompatible with civilisation.

And if nobody confronts them then they'll continue to break the rules; whether it's dole fraud or skipping a queue. And fair play to them for ripping the piss out of a society which treats them like the mafia.
    Right, so we deserve it for treating the people you admit are criminals as, er, criminals. Shocking baseless persecution there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

But you have? :confused:

I have?

How dafuque is "they do what they like" a good thing? So if they deck you and steal your dole for the week they are just being free spirits and giving two fingers to the man?
    Like I said. Incompatible with civilisation.

No need to exaggerate my point. I'm talking about skipping queues and the potential dole fraud - not rape and murder. And yes, I believe society enables their cavalier behaviour to some extent.

• Advertisement

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I have?

Yes, you said you werent going to say anything and yet you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

I have one positive thing to say about travellers: they do a lot of things which we all wish we had the balls to do.

I remember when I was on the dole, and sign-on days were always particularly annoying because sometimes you could spend up to an hour in the queue. You'd be waiting in line anyway, pretending to take an interest in the available jobs on the notice board, when four or five of them, in wellies and leather jackets, would saunter in and duck underneath all of the velvet rope things en route to going straight to the top of the queue. This happened every single month.

You'd look over at the security guard and every month he'd be focusing on a tiny speck of dirt on the wall, or looking down at his shoes, or staring at the ceiling when this was happening. And when you do catch his eye, he gives you a look of, 'Sorry folks but they're not paying me enough to do something about this'.

The best bit was the wellies, though. This is South Dublin so there's absolutely no need for wellington boots - unless of course you're working! They didn't care one bit that their footwear was a blatant sign that they were working and collecting job seekers at the same time. And if nobody confronts them then they'll continue to break the rules; whether it's dole fraud or skipping a queue. And fair play to them for ripping the piss out of a society which treats them like the mafia.

In a lot of cases, we're the problem - not them.
    God this deflection of responsibility. No "we" are not the problem - they are, in all cases. How come you didn't speak out in the dole queue? You were too scared to, same with everyone else. Their intimidation tactics that cause people to be silenced are their responsibility, nobody else's. "Fair play" - no. Freeloading bullies are freeloading bullies.

No need to exaggerate my point. I'm talking about skipping queues and the potential dole fraud - not rape and murder. And yes, I believe society enables their cavalier behaviour to some extent.
    Oh believe me I'm fully aware that society promotes their odious culture through grants, freebies and dole payments for those who will never work a tap and have tons of work on the side.
    So because you're not a rapist you're not a criminal (which is what I said). Interesting (by which I mean bizarre) attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Dole fraud is a gateway crime

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

But look what happens when somebody is pushed too far like Padraig Nally, he was perfectly entitled to shoot the traveller who repeatedly broke into his home and terrified him, but Nally gets put in jail which was an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Dole fraud is a gateway crime

Yeah then they do your driveway.

Sorry

Flimpson wrote: »
    God this deflection of responsibility. No "we" are not the problem - they are, in all cases. How come you didn't speak out in the dole queue? You were too scared to, same with everyone else. Their intimidation tactics that cause people to be silenced are their responsibility, nobody else's. "Fair play" - no. Freeloading bullies are freeloading bullies.

Where's the bullying element bro? There was no bullying or intimidation. There was just four or five blokes who refused to wait in line because our society has taught them that they don't need to wait in line. This is achieved through not speaking up when they chance their arm. It's that simple man.

Oh believe me I'm fully aware that society promotes their odious culture through grants, freebies and dole payments for those who will never work a tap and have tons of work on the side.
    So because you're not a rapist you're not a criminal (which is what I said). Interesting (by which I mean bizarre) attitude.

Literally no idea what you're on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

The bullying is contained in people being afraid (through experience and observation) to stand up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭elefant

Went to school in a town that has been described by others already in this thread.

There was a genuine feeling of fear from kids towards the travellers in the school, and the extreme aura of aggression they exuded at all times. The general school populace was terrified of the traveller students and their families.

They would inevitably drop out as soon as they were old enough, apart from one notable exception I felt very sorry for. He seemed a really sensitive kid, studious and played the violin in school exhibitions. I often wonder what happened to him; his older brother was a complete scumbag. Hopefully he managed to break that cycle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement