Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When should the Xmas decorations go up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Early December until about 27th December

Can't stand seeing decorations around new years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

ardinn wrote: »
    Is it not standard they go up on the 6th Dec and down on the 6th Jan?

Thats what I always understood anyway!

For normal people.

There are some lunatics that have then up a week at this stage and take them down in Feb.

Probably some of them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

There is a house on a very main road in Dublin that has them up & switched on since 1st November.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

mansize wrote:
    Premature Decoration... the decorations were tacky and garish

These two things go hand in hand. A few head-bangers living nearby put up their decorations on the 12th of November, and the decorations are completely classless. Cheap, tacky, and make you wince when you pass.

One of the uniform decorations for these types are the chaser lights flashing so rapidly and brightly that you'd be worried for a passing epileptic. These houses don't look Christmassy, they look more like a game show set.

I put up the tree etc shortly before the children's Christmas holidays from school begin. You don't want to wear the s.hit out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Put them up christmas eve and take them down on Stephens day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mansize wrote: »
    Just turn off the lights? Laziness...

I've seen lights never switched off all year round.

Lots of pubs doing this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I would have been staunchly for December 8th.

Meh

Go to America and they don't put anything up until mid December

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I couldn't care less when people put them up. It's the Christmas songs being played in shops that bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mansize wrote:
    So when's the right time to put up your (externally visible) Xmas Decs?

Christmas morning, to be taken down later that day, and everybody sent back to work. Bah humbug!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sinbad311

Wife and kids putting them up at the moment... I know in our house we put them up early for the kids where as before we would wait till mid December. Usually take them down 1st week in January..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Why not act like an adult and put them up when you want to and don't obsess about what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

We put it up in the first weekend of Dec and take the stuf away around the 6th of Jan
    Know people who put the stuff up two days before Christmas and take everything away after the Christmas dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We put it up in the first weekend of Dec and take the stuf away around the 6th of Jan
    Know people who put the stuff up two days before Christmas and take everything away after the Christmas dinner

We just bought a second 6ft tree. No idea where we will put it or what we were thinking. Marks had 50% off them and extra 15% for new account. Put them up on the first and down on new years day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

1st Sunday of Advent in the Christian calendar today.

My sister puts hers up today.

We aren't putting up any :( Perhaps a bit of holly about the place. I am trying to like Christmas but not even an auld tree is being put up so it's hard to get in to the spirit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

A couple of doors down from me they have them up with all the snow stuff stuck to the window. Lights on all over the house.

A bit cringe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

My first Xmas in my own house. I wont be putting any up :)

Congrats on your new house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

That was me 4 years ago! Congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I opted for the 8th-14th of December, although my parents would have said the 15th-24th December.

Any date before the 1st of December is far too early, (seeing as Christmas starts on the 25th).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Why not just never take them down seems to work in town.

Why not just never put them up,which for me would also seem to work:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

When our son was a wee little lad we would put him to bed at around 7 o' clock on Christmas Eve and spend the best part

of the night putting up the Christmas decorations. I know it sounds a bit mad, but the look on his face Christmas morning

was worth the effort because we all know that Santa has magic that can transform a house overnight.

One Christmas I think I overdid it. I shook out baby powder and in it put the imprint of the sole of a wellington boot in it,

so that it looked like a Santa footprint. I think he was around five or six at the the time. I remember he wasn't impressed

that a strange man was in our house leaving footprints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

maudgonner wrote: »
    Nah, move it to the Christmas forum instead and watch the fireworks that ensue :pac:

There's already a similar thread in the Christmas Forum ........... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057672192

Our tree/decorations went up yesterday and not a minute too soon in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

We aren't putting up any :( Perhaps a bit of holly about the place. I am trying to like Christmas but not even an auld tree is being put up so it's hard to get in to the spirit of it.

Why aren't you putting up decorations Perse?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Mine is going up on Friday for the toy show :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

The 12th of never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

8th of December usually. Much too early to put them up now, some of my neighbours already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

They go up on Toy Show night in my house usually, or at least the weekend it's on.

I know people that put theirs up over a fortnight ago! And I'm increasingly seeing this as the years go by, was walking home from the gym about 2 weeks ago and walked by a few houses and seen a tree and Christmas lights all over the living room. Wasn't even Mid November ffs!

When I rise to power these people will be sterilized!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

First weekend of december I reckon

Advertisement