Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When should the Xmas decorations go up?

Options
13»

Comments

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Why aren't you putting up decorations Perse?

Since my mam got sick my dad has decided to not put up decorations and I'd feel bad going against him.

I might be able to get around him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Since my mam got sick my dad has decided to not put up decorations and I'd feel bad going against him.

I might be able to get around him :)

Sorry to hear that .......... I'd go along with your Dad's wishes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have not put up any for over 20 years now.

Minimise my spend in shops which play those horrible carols.

Never is a good time for Xmas decorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

For normal people.

There are some lunatics that have then up a week at this stage and take them down in Feb.

Probably some of them here.

That would be me. My daughter has complex medical needs. Every Christmas is very special. She deals with enough crap during the year. She absolutely loves Christmas, Santy & all the lights. Nothing wrong with a bit of early festive cheer.

I love Christmas decorations.

I will be in my parents for Christmas so I won't be putting up a lot of stuff, but I've a teeny gold and green tree I'll be setting up tomorrow and there will be many fairy lights strung over the already existing fairy lights permanently strung around the place (they don't count as they're butterfly/floral ones). I love fairy lights.

Am considering buying a popup tree too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I put my trees up today, I love the brightness they bring, winter is so dark and sad for me and my dad loved Christmas.. so up they went and my heart is already glad. My kids love Christmas, it can't start too soon for me.
    The one in my sitting room smells amazing..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

When do you reckon you can get a real tree?
    I think I saw some on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Dec 15th, if I can convince/lie to the kids to wait that long.

Neighbours just out up their tree which makes things more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I'm gonna put some lights up on Thursday which is the 1st. I like the way they brighten up the place and despite being an old cynic, I quite enjoy the atmosphere leading up to Christmas.

However, as I am not the sole occupant of this house we shall not be going full-Christmas (i.e. tree, etc.) until about the 18th/20th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I normally put them up in mid-December but will probably put them up next weekend for a change as I'll be having surgery before Christmas and need to get all things Christmas sorted next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

mansize wrote: »
    Coming home from the Cinema I noticed some on my Street suffer from Premature Decoration...

Bad enough it's November, but the decorations were tacky and garish

#GhettoLife

So when's the right time to put up your (externally visible) Xmas Decs?

6th January. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

When I was younger in Russia it was always around the 1st of December because our Christmas is the 7th of January. Christmas has always been a big deal in our house. When I moved to Éire it changed to around the 8th of December simply because that's what my neighbours did! You were only "allowed" put them up after the Holy Day. It'll be the same this year and I can't wait. I love Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

1st December here. I love the tree going up but I couldn't care less when others do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Is anyone not bothering to put them up at all? I don't mean in a hipster 'look how I'm different' way.

I live by myself and I don't feel the need. Will I burn in hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Is anyone not bothering to put them up at all? I don't mean in a hipster 'look how I'm different' way.

I live by myself and I don't feel the need. Will I burn in hell?

You will be grand. And a lot less likely to burn without all that tinsel and straw all over the house.

We will be making our house look like a 1920 bordello during the second weekend in december. Cant wait. Bah humbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

2 weeks before is enough time to enjoy it and not get sick of them for our family anyway. I would probably put them up a bit earlier but definitely not in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Anybody putting up Xmas Decorations in November.......really does need a good slap!

Advertisement