Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Deals - Echo 120 Dot 40 Netatmo 99 Harmony Elite 130, etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Big reductions on Hive Thermostat and Hive Multizone too!

edit: from the Hive thread
    Graham wrote: »
    Hive active heating on offer at Amazon right now.

£125 without installation for the heat or heat/water controller.
    £85 for the multizone controller

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hive-Active-Heating-without-installation/dp/B011B3J6B8/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1480037321&sr=1-1&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I was actually going to buy the Dot and then look at one of the thermostats. But on reading the reviews they say the Dot is very poor due to lack of apps. If that is case in UK I would say there is no apps available for Ireland

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I was actually going to buy the Dot and then look at one of the thermostats. But on reading the reviews they say the Dot is very poor due to lack of apps. If that is case in UK I would say there is no apps available for Ireland

To be honest for 40 (or 25 with a Netatmo Thermostat) it is pretty much a no brainer. Specially if you have Spotify Premium and some Home Automation Tech.

There are loads of apps that work in the UK and Ireland. Not as many as the US, but still more then enough to justify it at these low prices and of course more will come, they only launched in the UK two months ago.

See the Amazon Echo FAQ here for lots more info:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057668556

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nidom

Is the echo worth it over the echo dot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nidom wrote: »
    Is the echo worth it over the echo dot?

If you want the better speaker without connecting it to something else then yes.

If you only want the Iot side of things the dot does the same job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

How does the echo handle Irish accents?

And what is the Tunein app capability like with Irish stations. Does it understand when you ask it to play RTE Radio 1 or 2FM or Newstalk and other Irish stations?

How does the echo handle Irish accents?

And what is the Tunein app capability like with Irish stations. Does it understand when you ask it to play RTE Radio 1 or 2FM or Newstalk and other Irish stations?

Irish accents in general fine. Answers to your tunein questions and lots of others here on the Amazon Echo FAQ:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057668556

• Advertisement

Thanks. Sounds like Irish radio stations are a bit of a disaster so I will give it a miss. Shame.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Thanks. Sounds like Irish radio stations are a bit of a disaster so I will give it a miss. Shame.

No they are not, you can listen to Irish stations with TuneIn as per bks post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have a Climote which I took from last house and haven't installed yet. The house is just standard 2 zone(water & heat).

Any of the above better than the other?

No they are not, you can listen to Irish stations with TuneIn as per bks post

From bk's FAQ:
    Irish radio stations are extremely buggy and mostly don't work by voice control. It is extremely hard to get it to play the usual Irish radio stations.

That sounds like the experience with Irish stations is pretty bad. Would love to hear if it has got better.

I know you can use their app to play them but if voice control doesnt work for Irish stations well then it seems the echo is not much better than a bluetooth speaker. Would love to be wrong though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

From bk's FAQ:

That sounds like the experience with Irish stations is pretty bad. Would love to hear if it has got better.

I know you can use their app to play them but if voice control doesnt work for Irish stations well then it seems the echo is not much better than a bluetooth speaker. Would love to be wrong though.

Appologies I misread bks post, i purchased my echo in the hope I can use TuneIn so will just have to hope it improves

Appologies I misread bks post, i purchased my echo in the hope I can use TuneIn so will just have to hope it improves

I'm sure it will.

Google Home handles Irish radios stations much better. Not available in Ireland yet officially, but rumour has it that it will be coming in the next month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 goalposts

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have a Climote which I took from last house and haven't installed yet. The house is just standard 2 zone(water & heat).

Any of the above better than the other?

Without talking about the other systems, you can still manage to use Google Assistant with your climote in a roundabout way. I have rooted my Nexus 6 and altered properties to get Google Assistant on it, but I bet Google Now would do the same.

Using IFTTT, I set up a Google Assistant trigger to send a web request to the 'Join' web server (search for joaoapps join). This pushes a join notification to my phone which is then set to start a tasker task. The tasker task is a series of waits, app loads and input taps. Only the input taps require root, but I bet that Autoinput from joaoapps would do it without root.

Of course I could have simplified the tasker task by just sending an SMS, but it's neat to see the phone in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

bk wrote: »
    This wont deliver to PM, any ideas? Won't accept Parcel Wizard either, have tried two different accounts. Are Amazon no sending to Antrim now?

bidiots wrote: »
    This wont deliver to PM, any ideas? Won't accept Parcel Wizard either, have tried two different accounts. Are Amazon no sending to Antrim now?

Try AddressPal so.

Just added some more nice deals:

Philips Hue Personal Lighting Wireless Dimming Kit £21
    https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01LZ8QYPI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL

Piper NV, Nightvision Security Camera/Alarm with Z-Wave controller £185 (£45 off)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Piper-Security-Camera-Monitoring-including/dp/B00V0D0UM4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1480073428&sr=8-4&keywords=Piper+NV

Samsung SmartThings Starter Kit (SmartThings hub, a multi-sensor, a motion sensor, a presence sensor and a power outlet) £139 (£60 off)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMSUNG-SmartThings-Works-Amazon-Alexa/dp/B01GJZKRFM/

Philips Hue Colour Ambiance Wireless E27 LED Starter Kit €122
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=4971128&authToken=

BTW Thanks to every one over on the Home Automation forum who are adding these deals to the thread over there as they find them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Should I buy the Echo? Vey confused. Will I be able to get my money back by selling on Adverts if I don like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

bk wrote: »
    Try AddressPal so.

Ive got my confirmation email for 2 Amazon Echos from Amazon alright (delivery to Parcel Motel) but account hasn't been debited yet, Should i be worried they wont process order?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Ive got my confirmation email for 2 Amazon Echos from Amazon alright (delivery to Parcel Motel) but account hasn't been debited yet, Should i be worried they wont process order?

Thanks

They take money when it goes to preparing for dispatch.

dan786 wrote: »
    Should I buy the Echo? Vey confused. Will I be able to get my money back by selling on Adverts if I don like it?
    JoeCole26 wrote: »

bidiots was saying that the Ring Doorbell wouldn't ship to Ireland, either south or North, AdressPal might work as they operate in mainland UK.

Amazon Echo and Dot will ship to Ireland via ParcelMotel or ParcelWizard no bother at all, I've got both myself this way and so have loads of other folks over on the HA forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Just to update, I got it through AddressPal

I tired the Dot thru PM but they wouldn't ship there either, even though I ordered the Hive thru PM this morning...weird

Withings Home IP Camera €99
    http://www.withings.com/eu/en/products/home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

davo2001 wrote: »

Hedging my bets that they might be reduced on the UK site over the weekend. The B22 was £25 on Amazon UK earlier in the week but I missed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Missed out on the lighting strip for the hue and camel camel doesnt seem to be working for it.

Advertisement