Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon fire 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Nalz wrote: »
    One more quick question sorry. Seems like you can't buy the amazon 7 kids if in Ireland, and Parcel Motel restrictions are 41x38x68cm and less than 10kilos.

Do you reckon the packaging would go over those restrictions?

No. I've have a few of the kids edition 7" fires sent to PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

One more quick question sorry. Seems like you can't buy the amazon 7 kids if in Ireland, and Parcel Motel restrictions are 41x38x68cm and less than 10kilos.

DPD yer only man!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

How big do you think the packaging is?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The restriction is (I assume) that it's to do with the way the kids tablet can be returned as often as needed if broken, so they may not be able to handle returns from Ireland for it.

Check the cost of the tablet on its own and the case maybe?

dulpit wrote: »
    The restriction is (I assume) that it's to do with the way the kids tablet can be returned as often as needed if broken, so they may not be able to handle returns from Ireland for it.

Check the cost of the tablet on its own and the case maybe?

This is an interesting one and here's my experience.

When returning a Kids Edition tablet, Amazon will do one of two things:
    1. Send a brand new Kids Edition table with case etc. They will not ship this to Ireland
    2. Send just a normal tablet with no case. They will ship this to Ireland

It depends on who you talk to. I got two new tablets in June and was sent two normal tablets to ROI and I could return the two broken ones to the warehouse in Portlaoise (I think).

In October I had to return another two and they would only send me two Kids Edition tablets with cases to Parcel Motel. They absolutely would not send to Ireland and would not let me return the broken tables to Portlaoise. I said I couldn't ship internationally due to the lithium batteries and stood my ground. Escalated to a manager on the chat and they told me just to bin the broken ones (they disabled them remotely). I gave them all the order numbers of the June returns to try and get just the normal tablets but they wouldn't budge.

Be prepared to get into an argument about shipping the tablets back to Scotland and refuse. You'll be told to dispose of the tablets yourself. If you are lucky, you'll just get replacement tablets (possibly refurbs).

Two years ago I got three tablets for the kids. I think I've had around 7 replacements in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

SachaJ wrote: »
    This is an interesting one and here's my experience.

When returning a Kids Edition tablet, Amazon will do one of two things:
    1. Send a brand new Kids Edition table with case etc. They will not ship this to Ireland
    2. Send just a normal tablet with no case. They will ship this to Ireland

It depends on who you talk to. I got two new tablets in June and was sent two normal tablets to ROI and I could return the two broken ones to the warehouse in Portlaoise (I think).

In October I had to return another two and they would only send me two Kids Edition tablets with cases to Parcel Motel. They absolutely would not send to Ireland and would not let me return the broken tables to Portlaoise. I said I couldn't ship internationally due to the lithium batteries and stood my ground. Escalated to a manager on the chat and they told me just to bin the broken ones (they disabled them remotely). I gave them all the order numbers of the June returns to try and get just the normal tablets but they wouldn't budge.

Be prepared to get into an argument about shipping the tablets back to Scotland and refuse. You'll be told to dispose of the tablets yourself. If you are lucky, you'll just get replacement tablets (possibly refurbs).

Two years ago I got three tablets for the kids. I think I've had around 7 replacements in that time.
    How are they breaking so many ? My kids have only smashed the screen once. We have 5 fire tablets in the house. 2 kids versions, amazon sent out a replacement

I have a 6 year old boy..... He's broken at least 4. Example: His little sister waved her magic wand at him and said "you hate blue things". He duly jumped on the tablet and smashed the screen again....

jaysus some people really getting value out the kids replacement clause. I'm surprised that amazon don't have a "fair use" limit on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Is it hard to install you tube on it.

crusier wrote: »

I've never managed to get YouTube Kids onto the children's profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

crusier wrote:

crusier wrote:

I can pm you instructions if you need them!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Has anyone noticed any "planned obsolescence" in these fire tablets.

I'm noticing strange behavior on 2 different models which seems to have started after about the same time, coming up to 2yrs.
    Internet performance issues where traffic stops for ages and then comes back etc.

I'm wondering if there may be some built in proxy configuration type thing which gives Amazon control of how well it performs and they turn down performance when they want to encourage you to buy a new one...?

I know it sounds all a bit conspiracy theory but network troubleshooting points to the devices themselves, not the network or internet connection being the problem....

Maybe I'll try and look back in this thread to see if there are instructions for loading a vanilla android ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ArrBee wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed any "planned obsolescence" in these fire tablets.

I'm noticing strange behavior on 2 different models which seems to have started after about the same time, coming up to 2yrs.
    Internet performance issues where traffic stops for ages and then comes back etc.

I'm wondering if there may be some built in proxy configuration type thing which gives Amazon control of how well it performs and they turn down performance when they want to encourage you to buy a new one...?

I know it sounds all a bit conspiracy theory but network troubleshooting points to the devices themselves, not the network or internet connection being the problem....

Maybe I'll try and look back in this thread to see if there are instructions for loading a vanilla android ROM.

I have an old one, and it does great paying videos and Netflix, but using the Amazon browser is unbelievably slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

maybe repost if you find it

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I can pm you instructions if you need them!

That would be great, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Is it possible to set up the fire for kids app on an existing fire 7 tablet? This is in Ireland so the option to sign up to it isn't showing up.

If anyone has instructions for doing so could you post them or pm me with them please?

Thanks.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I have an old one, and it does great paying videos and Netflix, but using the Amazon browser is unbelievably slow.

I find even the youtube app decides to stall after say 15mins.
    Streaming music from internal network has no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ArrBee wrote: »
    I find even the youtube app decides to stall after say 15mins.
    Streaming music from internal network has no problem.

I did a factory reset to try solving the slow browsing, and can no longer get a YouTube APK to sideload that will work on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I did a factory reset to try solving the slow browsing, and can no longer get a YouTube APK to sideload that will work on it....

Could you try the Vanced version?

https://vanced.app/APKs?type=NONROOT

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Could you try the Vanced version?

https://vanced.app/APKs?type=NONROOT

Love youtube vanced...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi all,
    i bought the Amazon Fire 7 Alexa 7 Inch 8GB in argos today for €35.
    I need to but a kids case but unsure if device is 2015 or 2017. Is ebay my best bet?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Millem wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I need to but a kids case but unsure if device is 2015 or 2017. Is ebay my best bet?
    thanks

It's the 2017 model. I got a couple of these cases for my kids ones and they are brilliant.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kids-Shockproof-Eva-Foam-Stand-Case-Cover-for-Amazon-kindle-Fire-HD-7-8-2017/202222085643?hash=item2f1560260b:m:m9iU1Jb3RWsRECLbm5IG0JQ

Millem wrote: »
    Hi all,
    thanks

Where you based? I have one case, but no tablet (small fella stood directly on the screen), so if you're close I can get it to you... It's the official Amazon one, it's pink... (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTRVAZ2/ref=twister_B071R7MB9V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

machalla wrote: »
    Is it possible to set up the fire for kids app on an existing fire 7 tablet? This is in Ireland so the option to sign up to it isn't showing up.

If anyone has instructions for doing so could you post them or pm me with them please?

Thanks.

Don't know if it's the same thing but I pay 3.99 a month to have a kids profile on mine and it looks exactly the same as fire for kids, so I think it's the same thing but it might not be

but i think it is, lol

it's brilliant to have it locked down and they can only get at age appropriate stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ImARebel wrote: »
    Don't know if it's the same thing but I pay 3.99 a month to have a kids profile on mine and it looks exactly the same as fire for kids, so I think it's the same thing but it might not be

but i think it is, lol

it's brilliant to have it locked down and they can only get at age appropriate stuff

You can set parental controls on it yourself, block access to certain stuff and stop them buying apps from Amazon (I had to do that after my 5yr old bought Minecraft and I got a notice)
    YouTube kids is accessible to them through their profile,they can't access the main YouTube unless I unlock it.
    I had a couple of panic moments when I forgot my parental control password alright.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

dulpit wrote: »
    Where you based? I have one case, but no tablet (small fella stood directly on the screen), so if you're close I can get it to you... It's the official Amazon one, it's pink... (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTRVAZ2/ref=twister_B071R7MB9V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

Ah thanks I ordered one this morning!!
    Fingers crossed it is the correct one ;)

I installed youtube app from amazon store rather than side loading.
    But it has the same issues through the browser. as does internet radio etc.

I haven't got around to resetting it yet but I will one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just be aware that even with all those parental controls turned on Amazon digital purchases from the marketplace can still be one click purchased by the kids.
    I ended up creating a dummy account and using that instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I had problems getting fire for kids working until I set parcel motel as the default address for amazon. Also I had set up a kids profile previous to getting fire for kids on a kindle fire.

I had to remove this then re-add the profile but not sync it to the device. After I did that the interface started to show the apps, books, games and videos that are part of the subscription.

I'll have to watch out for digital purchases, I assumed they were all blocked. I have the account linked to revolut with very little cash on it so at least I'll know if theres a purchase almost immediately.

Advertisement