Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon fire 7

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

quarryman wrote: »
    The only reboots I did we were the automatic ones kingroot were doing. I was a bit paranoid about the device updating to 5.3.2 as it had already downloaded the update and informed me it would install it soon.

Strange bit of software the way it takes so many attempts to work...

I've rooted over 20 fire tablets on 5.3.1. I've found kingroot works best after a factory reset, unregistered, without any modifications like plays store added. USB cable unplugged and no SD card. Reboot after failing, if with those conditions set it fails more than 3 times I reset it again and leave it powered off and try later. My logic there is the cloud server (probably in china) is overloaded with requests and no data is coming through. Kingroot is a one stop rooting shop for just about every android device so I'm sure it's servers get overloaded.

I've had tablets root in 40 seconds but in general
    It failed first time and was successful on 2nd attempt.

Oh and IMHO if you've gone as far as rooting the tablet you may as well install the Nexus Rom on the tablet. The difference between it and FireOS is night and day.

You'll have to use the latest flashfire 0.55.1 , don't think the one on supertool works anymore as the programer built a free user expiry date into it.

BUT BE WARNED. The latest flashfire while it works 100% is much much slower and flashing than the previous release. You may be stuck with a black screen with a red flashfire banner at the top. You might think flashing has failed but after 10-15 mins or so it'll reboot and all will be fine. With the previous release and most video tutorials show the flashing process taking just a minute or so.

One possible fix to allow you use the previous release 0.53 is to reset the time and date on your tablet to January 2017. If using that version be sure to de-select auto mount under the mount options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I've rooted over 20 fire tablets on 5.3.1. I've found kingroot works best after a factory reset, unregistered, without any modifications like plays store added. USB cable unplugged and no SD card. Reboot after failing, if with those conditions set it fails more than 3 times I reset it again and leave it powered off and try later. My logic there is the cloud server (probably in china) is overloaded with requests and no data is coming through. Kingroot is a one stop rooting shop for just about every android device so I'm sure it's servers get overloaded.

Oh and IMHO if you've gone as far as rooting the tablet you may as well install the Nexus Rom on the tablet. The difference between it and FireOS is night and day.

You'll have to use the latest flashfire 0.55.1 , don't think the one on supertool works anymore as the programer built a free user expiry date into it.

BUT BE WARNED. The latest flashfire while it works 100% is much much slower and flashing than the previous release. You may be stuck with a black screen with a red flashfire banner at the top. You might think flashing has failed but after 10-15 mins or so it'll reboot and all will be fine. With the previous release and most video tutorials show the flashing process taking just a minute or so.

One possible fix to allow you use the previous release 0.53 is to reset the time and date on your tablet to January 2017. If using that version be sure to de-select auto mount under the mount options.

Did you update the version of Kingroot that comes with the super tool, as well as Flashfire?
    I was having no luck until I did this on advice of a poster here (5.3.1.0 was the firmware I had)

Have another Fire coming for a relative, so hope it goes smoother this time..

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Did you update the version of Kingroot that comes with the super tool?
    I was having no luck until I did this on advice of a poster here (5.3.1.0 was the firmware I had)

No stuck with 4.92 which is in supertools. Only time I changed was to root tablets on FireOS 5.13/5.14. These are only rootable in the last 6 weeks or so. There is no option in supertool for those 2 OS versions as it's a little outdated.

Previously you had to upgrade them to fireOS 5.3.1 or downgrade to 5.12 . Nice to cut out that extra work.

If you happen to get a tablet with those OS you'll need this kingroot - https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=22734

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Did you update the version of Kingroot that comes with the super tool, as well as Flashfire?

How did you update it without the Play store? Did you just replace the apk on the PC?

stimpson wrote: »
    How did you update it without the Play store? Did you just replace the apk on the PC?

Nearly ever kingroot version is available here
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=9793#downloads

You can download it through silk browsers on the fire tablet and install it. ADB install from PC or rename and replace the one in supertools

• Advertisement

Nearly ever kingroot version is available here
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=9793#downloads

You can download it through silk browsers on the fire tablet and install it. ADB install from PC or rename and replace the one in supertools

I did the latter, as my IT skills aren't great

Great advice here. 2 hours of trying and no luck. Did a factory reset and worked first time.

3 down 2 to go...

I used the version of Fireflash from Supertool btw. .

stimpson wrote: »
    Great advice here. 2 hours of trying and no luck. Did a factory reset and worked first time.

3 down 2 to go...

I used the version of Fireflash from Supertool btw. .

Glad to hear that, good that Fireflash on supertool worked to. I haven't used that version in a while so wasn't sure. Resetting for what ever reason seems to work on stubborn rooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

In what way specifically is Nexus better?

I ended up rooting but just sticking with the FireOS and disabled software updates. Might move to Nexus but need to know why. Cheers

mrcheez wrote: »
    In what way specifically is Nexus better?

I ended up rooting but just sticking with the FireOS and disabled software updates. Might move to Nexus but need to know why. Cheers

For me it's
    1. Ad Blocking (not Amazon ads, all adds on websites or apps
    2. Keeping everything as lean as possible, to get the best performance possible from the device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

For me it's
    1. Ad Blocking (not Amazon ads, all adds on websites or apps
    2. Keeping everything as lean as possible, to get the best performance possible from the device.

That's what I originally thought when I rooted my device and disabled ads/updates, that FireOS would be sluggish, and had downloaded Nexus with intention of installing. Just before I did it I thought I'd just test it with the apps I'd primarily use ( Kodi, Spotify, YouTube, maps, mail) and found they ran without a hitch using the FireOS so just didn't bother taking it further.

The free Amazon games also sorta helped although I think u can get those on any android device

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

to the lads asking which version can be got in which store,
    I bought a fire at Christmas and it was running 5.3.2.1, factory reset didn't allow any roll back to earlier versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

novarapid wrote: »
    I bought a fire at Christmas and it was running 5.3.2.1, factory reset didn't allow any roll back to earlier versions.

Which store though? :confused:

novarapid wrote: »

Are you sure it was on 5.3.2.1 when you bought it? It may have updated quite quickly.

Both of my Argos ones were 5.3.1

Speaking of which... I got 4 out of 5 rooted yesterday. I came back to the problem one and decided to reupload the 5.3.1 image and try again. When I did so it bricked the Fire. It's possible it had updated while I wasn't looking, but whatever...

This moring I went back to Argos and told them it was DOA. They tested it there and then and replaced it without any fuss. I got home and it rooted first time. Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Just picked up 2 16Gb Fire tabs for my boys, very impresses with it so far.

The lads just use them for Youtube and the odd game, maybe play a movie etc, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to put Playstore on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

bladespin wrote: »
    Just picked up 2 16Gb Fire tabs for my boys, very impresses with it so far.

The lads just use them for Youtube and the odd game, maybe play a movie etc, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to put Playstore on them?

Google Playstore is significantly better than Amazon app store, so I'd put it on if I were you.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Just to update, 2nd Fire arrived from Amazon with 5.3.2.1, so unrootable.

The one I got last week had 5.3.1.0, so it's really a lucky dip..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My Argos one updated to version 5.3.2.0 when I left it in to charge, and it has 5.3.2.1 sitting there waiting to be installed.

If you just want to change your launcher from Fire to something else without rooting you can try Launcher Hijack, https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/launcher-root-launcher-hijack-v2-t3561026

I've added Google and Nova, Google seems to work ok, all I want to do is have a clean page for the kids so that does the job for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

I rooted my one but supersu did not install and playstore will not open do I need to un root it and how do I do it ?

I rooted my one but supersu did not install and playstore will not open do I need to un root it and how do I do it ?

Are you sure you have root? If so you can use adb.exe to install from apk packages. E.g.: apk install filename.apk. The SuperSU apk is included with the supertool file.

If you're not sure you can just run the unroot process again until it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

My two arrived today. Booted them up but didn't connect to WiFi. One is running 5.0.0 (August 2015) and the other is 5.0.1 (November 2015).

The warehouse guys must have found them under a pallet or something....

SachaJ wrote: »
    My two arrived today. Booted them up but didn't connect to WiFi. One is running 5.0.0 (August 2015) and the other is 5.0.1 (November 2015).

The warehouse guys must have found them under a pallet or something....

Lucky you . You don't need kingroot. You can root without it by the script in supertool for those version. You don't actually need root at all it you want a custom rom just boot direct to twrp from the supertool script.

Happens the odd time. Reboot the tablet rerun the root script

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Happens the odd time. Reboot the tablet rerun the root script

Do I need to uninstall Google play etc ?

Do I need to uninstall Google play etc ?

Might just need the reboot and try to reinstall. Never use it myself, I only use custom roms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Lucky you . You don't need kingroot. You can root without it by the script in supertool for those version. You don't actually need root at all it you want a custom rom just boot direct to twrp from the supertool script.

Thanks. I've used the tool before so might just use it again. I'll put the Nexus ROM on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Folks,

Could I ask a stupid question.. from someone whom isn't as technically gifted as other posters!! I bought two of these for the young fellas and both came with 5.0.1. I've managed to root them this morning with the Supertool, block the system updates and got Google Play working. Here's the question, how do I go about installing a custom rom such as Nexus? Can I do this with the Supertool?

Thanks in advance
    Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

conjon wrote: »
    Folks,

Could I ask a stupid question.. from someone whom isn't as technically gifted as other posters!! I bought two of these for the young fellas and both came with 5.0.1. I've managed to root them this morning with the Supertool, block the system updates and got Google Play working. Here's the question, how do I go about installing a custom rom such as Nexus? Can I do this with the Supertool?

Thanks in advance
    Conor.
    Install the latest version of FlashFire from the Play Store and follow the instructions here for Nexus Rom:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-development/rom-fire-nexus-rom-lmy49f-t3300714/

Folks,

Thanks in advance
    Conor.

Yes, you need to install Flashfire from the Supertool and download the Nexus rom, linked earlier in the thread, and use flash fire to flash it..
    While flashing, it may seem to have stopped, but just be patient and let it complete...

• Advertisement

Folks,

Thanks in advance
    Conor.

With that OS you don't need Flashfire , using your PC and supertool you can load TWRP. You can use flashfire too. It doesn't really make a difference what you use be TWRP is more robust.

Advertisement