Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon fire 7

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

mrcheez wrote: »
    Is performance on the home screen interface the main benefactor? I haven't noticed any slowdown in apps which is the reason I didn't bother with Nexus.

The speed of the interface seems fine for me, but if my apps were slow I'd be bothered and be considering switching the OS.

Also just to be sure, can you get access to all the Amazon content if using Nexus? Free games, etc.

The device apps and interface are quicker. With playstore you'll have more than available on amazon's cut down version.

If your happy as is then maybe just leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

The device apps and interface are quicker. With playstore you'll have more than available on amazon's cut down version.

Think I've seen your name on the XDA threads Mr Mc Boatface..
    What do you reckon the chances of root being achieved on either 5.3.2.1 or the latest update that's being pushed recently?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Are you on the Nexus roms? What's the easiest way to reroot? I unrooted and removed SuperSu, the check root apps tell me I'm not rooted, but Sky Q still insists I am.

Never removed root from Nexus myself, but you might find clearing SkyQ apps cache and a reboot might help.

I was referring to switching back to stock amazon and reroot it with kingroot in the event mrcheez switched to nexus and preferred the stock amazon.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Think I've seen your name on the XDA threads Mr Mc Boatface..
    What do you reckon the chances of root being achieved on either 5.3.2.1 or the latest update that's being pushed recently?

Must have been some other amazingly handsome guy :-)

Hard to say if/when they'll be rooted. I reported the first rooted on OS 5.14 a full 6 months after its successor 5.3.1 was rooted. The same exploit found by Kingroot also rooted OS 5.13 which was also previously unrooted.

If they're rooted my personal opinion is it will be from a vulnerability found on others more popular devices that happen to be in the fire tablet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Well like I have Play store on it after rooting, plus using a custom skin. There's pretty much nothing Amazon-esque that I'm using on it beyond the free games so still not sure why Nexus is required as I'm not seeing any slowdown and I'm free to install whatever I want on it.

Anyway will see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

My two finally showed up, both running FireOS v5.3.1.0 so about to be blitzed. 8GB black + 8GB orange models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

Mine arrived this morning with 5.3.1,

Could not get it to root using supertool regardless of how many times I factory reset or rebooted etc,must have tried in excess of 15 times,

Eventually used Kingroot 3.2 desktop version to root it,then used supertool to block updates and install flashfire,

Then used flashfire to install the nexus rom :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OT but how difficult is it to replace a usb port on a 2 year old fire 7 ?
    If you have to ask then it's too difficult.

Or rather, now that they are back down at £35/€45 it may be more trouble than it's worth ;)

HDUK thread
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amazon-fire-tablet-7-inch-8gb-34-99-16gb-44-99-various-colours-argos-2659416

Argos.ie €45
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3072499/Trail/searchtext%3EAMAZON+FIRE.htm

As for repairing here's a partial teardown - you'd have to be super handy with fiddly bits and fiddly soldering
    https://www.fictiv.com/blog/posts/50-kindle-fire-teardown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Nice one. Back down to €45 in Argos which probably means £35 on Amazon from tonight for the Easter Sale.

I have 6 already including the kids ones. Actually 7 as one of the kids broke their screens but that's going back to Amazon as they replaced it (Kids Edition 2 year warranty). Debating if I need any more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

SachaJ wrote: »
    Nice one. Back down to €45 in Argos which probably means £35 on Amazon from tonight for the Easter Sale.

I have 6 already including the kids ones. Actually 7 as one of the kids broke their screens but that's going back to Amazon as they replaced it (Kids Edition 2 year warranty). Debating if I need any more.....

How many kids do you have?!

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    How many kids do you have?!

3 and they each have their own tablet. Down to £35 on Amazon now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

mrcheez wrote: »
    I rooted my tablet, just didn't bother installing Nexus

Leaving aside security issues (which in all honesty don't concern me as I use my PC for any financial transactions) the speed and interface on the android rom is better , the user experience is just much better. I originally only rooted the tablet blocked updates and switch to nova launcher with playstore but found the tablet experience poor. Switching to the Android roms makes it so much better.

It's easy to switch back to stock and rerooted if you don't like it.
    i had a nexus before i got the amazon i actually prefer the amazon interface

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bob Z wrote: »

Horses for courses- I like the Amazon interface myself- but my wifey prefers a stock Android ROM (mind you- she has a Sony X smart phone and has asked me if I can make the stock ROM more like her phone for her............)

Vanilla Android, from a performance and usability perspective, does seem like the route to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

At the flashing Nexus ROM stage, I was worried about the rebooting cycle so entered recovery mode.

Now I'm stick in a boot loop.

Anyone know how to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Bob Z wrote: »

Horses for courses- I like the Amazon interface myself- but my wifey prefers a stock Android ROM (mind you- she has a Sony X smart phone and has asked me if I can make the stock ROM more like her phone for her............)

Vanilla Android, from a performance and usability perspective, does seem like the route to go.
    the kindle just has one screen for apps whichi prefer

Anyone notice the micro USB cables with these are a bit crap? From the kids plugging/unplugging them they seem to get worn down and very loose?

Think I'm going to have to order a batch of micro USB cables to replace. Guess I can't complain - got nearly 6 months out of the cables......

Anyone notice the micro USB cables with these are a bit crap? From the kids plugging/unplugging them they seem to get worn down and very loose?

Think I'm going to have to order a batch of micro USB cables to replace. Guess I can't complain - got nearly 6 months out of the cables......

The port itself isn't the best either.............
    I suppose, can't really complain it was only 35 quid.

The port itself isn't the best either.............
    I suppose, can't really complain it was only 35 quid.

I have the Kids Edition so the 2 year warranty.... Seems the AmazonBasics microUSB cables are just as crap. CSL ones get decent reviews on Amazon.

PS - down to ?35 again today without the "special offers"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-7-Inch-Tablet-8GB/dp/B00ZDWE9Y8/

Not buying any more - still have two new in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

CSL ones get decent reviews on Amazon.

Amazon reviews are a crock of ****e, a lot of them are incentivised or fake and people are incentivised to remove or revise bad reviews. Last time I left a bad review for aukey USB cables the seller offered me a 6 pack of cables free to remove the bad review. I've been offered refunds and partial refunds on other stuff.

Our house has gone through about 50 microusb cables in the last couple of years. I found the best compromise is to use mini to micro usb pigtails on quality mini usb cables - pigtails are about 35c each from china the miniusb cables last for years years - I have one that 14 years old.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Micro-USB-male-to-Mini-USB-female-Data-Sync-Charge-Adapter-Cable-P-T-/182524042385?hash=item2a7f47dc91:g:2zsAAOSwys5WUfWB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I actually find aukey to be ok. The sooner USB C takes over the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

digitaldr wrote: »
    I actually find aukey to be ok. The sooner USB C takes over the better.

I've had 3 different batches work fine for about 6-8 weeks and then the springs are too loose. We have 9 devices around the house between tablets, work and personal phones so they get a lot of use. I've resorted to bending the springs on them with pointed pliers to tighten them up but they are too soft so it doesn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I have the Kids Edition so the 2 year warranty.... Seems the AmazonBasics microUSB cables are just as crap. CSL ones get decent reviews on Amazon.

PS - down to ?35 again today without the "special offers"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-7-Inch-Tablet-8GB/dp/B00ZDWE9Y8/

Not buying any more - still have two new in the box.

Works out pretty much the same price through Argos:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3072499/Trail/searchtext%3EAMAZON+FIRE+7.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I got one yesterday & I am very impressed. Great bargain. Didn't bother routing & I had the playstore running in minutes. Can't see the fuss about adds. They are only on the lockscreen.

Has anyone found a way to put bookmarks on the homescreen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Discodog wrote: »
    I got one yesterday & I am very impressed. Great bargain. Didn't bother routing & I had the playstore running in minutes. Can't see the fuss about adds. They are only on the lockscreen.

Has anyone found a way to put bookmarks on the homescreen ?
    I got one as a gift recently, it had ads on the lock screen. I got in touch with Amazon support and they switched off the ads for me (no charge).
    They said it would normally have been £10, but because it was a gift they waived the fee.

Overall, I like it. Small and quick enough, the UI is alright, screen is decent for a small tablet - adding the Google Play store makes it much better (and is a doddle to do). Battery is a bit of a worry as you can often see the remaining battery running down as you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Got one today and downloaded free eBooks from my local library through the Borrowbox app. Delighted with it!

I probably won't use it for a whole lot more than eReading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Got one today and downloaded free eBooks from my local library through the Borrowbox app. Delighted with it!

I probably won't use it for a whole lot more than eReading.

You should also get the Zinio app for free magazines also available through your library - huge selection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

UsedToWait wrote: »
    You should also get the Zinio app for free magazines also available through your library - huge selection :)

I probably won't use it for a whole lot more than eReading

Great tips ... I forgot about the actual library.

I was trying to find the Kindle Owners Lending Library, but found it hard to get anything decent on there, seemed to be a very limited selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Does anyone have problem with the headphone jack.

It works on one set of headphones but does not work with the 3.5mm Stereo Two into One Adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

I had the same problem with my double jack adapter. I put it down to some issue with the adapter maybe being mono or the headphones meant for a phone (Sony) with extra controls. I doubt there's anything wrong with your headphone port though.

• Advertisement

Charging port is temperamental as hell- only works with some cables.

Advertisement