Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

These are only 143€ in Dixons Dublin Airport. Play 3 and Play 5 also reduced a bit. Cheapest I've ever seen the Play 1

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭heavywater

These are only 143€ in Dixons Dublin Airport. Play 3 and Play 5 also reduced a bit. Cheapest I've ever seen the Play 1
    Dumb question - do you have to take them with you or can you pick them up on the way back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you are traveling within the EU you can do the Shop & Collect Service from the Loop (which Dixon is part of), which means you can collect the item on your return to Ireland.

https://www.theloop.ie/t/ShopCollect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

Bought 2 of these today in Dublin Airport today for €143 each - guy told ne this was the last day of their "Black Friday" sale - great bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

does anyone know how likely the play 1 is to go down in price in the after christmas sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭burkey2k0

wawaman wrote:
    does anyone know how likely the play 1 is to go down in price in the after christmas sales?

Use the PriceSpy app or website. Great tool to check historical prices of items.
    At the moment the Play 1 is around €178 from Amazon, around the lowest price it's ever been, so possibly no. Hard to say for certain but that would be my guess. The price on Amazon is also helped by the sterling conversion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Sonos Play 1 currently £145 on Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

They'll be mandatory in every home soon for surveillance, with a ten euro subsidy payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

They'll be mandatory in every home soon for surveillance, with a ten euro subsidy payment.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Amazon Echo?
    Sonos is just a wireless speaker as far as I know.
    The Echo is Orwell's Telescreen incarnated..

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

Would love one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

I see amazon has the sonos play 5 reduced to £350 (for those with more stately sized homes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

clevtrev wrote: »
    I see amazon has the sonos play 5 reduced to £350 (for those with more stately sized homes).

Or more tolerant neighbours :pac:

That's brilliant value for the new model play 5 (I have the older one).

They cost about €570 in shops here when they came out, and you rarely see them less than €520 in stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I should never have started this thread. My wife says I have an addiction to Sonos and these updates lead to me feeding my habit :) . I do like the system

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

I have to agree - it is a brilliant system. I have three of the older units - 2 ZP100s and 1 ZP 90. But I couldn't resist the temptation to buy a Play 1 when the price dropped on Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Kirijoleth

I got the Sonos play 5 on Amazon a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it until I started tweaking the sound (turned off loudness and turned down the bass). I'm loving it now, sounds fantastic only problem now is the rest of the family want to use it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

Have to agree that the Sonos is brilliant; as much for its very intuitive interface and seamless integration with Spotify and TuneIn Radio as much as its excellent sound.  The fact that my technophobe wife and the kids could play music or radio after 30 seconds of instruction has opened up a world of music for them.  However, the bigger items like the sub and soundbar are crazy expensive and I'm not sure if they are worth the money when compared to separates with possibly better soundscapes...still .....if I won the lotto Sonos would be the first thing I'd buy without question!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,858 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I ordered one yesterday to my folks house in northern ireland (due on Friday)
    I did try one previously in a mates house and thought it was terrific, seems like a great deal, it linked very easily to deezer...I am guessing it also works ok with podcasts on an android device?

• Advertisement

Kirijoleth wrote: »
    I got the Sonos play 5 on Amazon a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it until I started tweaking the sound (turned off loudness and turned down the bass). I'm loving it now, sounds fantastic only problem now is the rest of the family want to use it too.

How much better than the 1 is the 5?
    Did you audition them?
    Just wondering if the near twice the price is justified?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

Depends on room size in my opinion. I've 2x play 5s 1x play 3 and 1x play 1. Daughter has play 1 in small bedroom killer sound in the space. we use the 5 in kitchen/diner. play 3 in large master. And the other 5 we lug around where needed in the house would love soundbar but savage money.

BobMc wrote: »
    Depends on room size in my opinion. I've 2x play 5s 1x play 3 and 1x play 1. Daughter has play 1 in small bedroom killer sound in the space. we use the 5 in kitchen/diner. play 3 in large master. And the other 5 we lug around where needed in the house would love soundbar but savage money.

Did you ever stop to think you might have a Sonos problem Bob? !)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Could this play sound from an internet stream or from video streams? Total novice in this area and wondering if my football radio stream from my teams site can be played? The feed would not be on things like TuneIn etc. Not really into music all that much and have radios in the kitchen and bedroom already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Panrich wrote: »
    Could this play sound from an internet stream or from video streams? Total novice in this area and wondering if my football radio stream from my teams site can be played? The feed would not be on things like TuneIn etc. Not really into music all that much and have radios in the kitchen and bedroom already.

No, unfortunately not. AFAIK it is a closed system and you can only play audio from services that have already integrated with Sonos.

There may be a way to do what you want based on one of the integrations that Sonos have but I am not aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Did you ever stop to think you might have a Sonos problem Bob? !)

People like Bob and me can handle it. We can quit at any time.... Any time, I tells ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Kirijoleth

UsedToWait wrote: »
    How much better than the 1 is the 5?
    Did you audition them?
    Just wondering if the near twice the price is justified?

I did a bit of research online, I had heard the play 1 in a neighbour's house and went to PC World where they had a Play 5. The play 5 is perfect for the room I use it in (a fairly big kitchen dining room). I think the play 5 is the only speaker you can plug in an external audio jack so I can play music from youtube from my laptop or hook up my iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Panrich wrote: »
    No, unfortunately not. AFAIK it is a closed system and you can only play audio from services that have already integrated with Sonos.

There may be a way to do what you want based on one of the integrations that Sonos have but I am not aware of it.

That is not completely true when it comes to Radio Streams.

You can manually add Radio Stations to play via the Sonos App (Manage / Add Radio Station) as long as you have the URL and there is no need to authentication on the stream itself (aka username/password).

Video Streams however won't work to a Play, they only work together with the Playbar and your Telly or via a Play 5 audio in from your Telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Any thoughts on whether these will reduce again after Christmas? Not sure whether to bite the bullet and buy now or in Jan. (Play 1)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

WittyName1 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on whether these will reduce again after Christmas? Not sure whether to bite the bullet and buy now or in Jan. (Play 1)

As I type the Play 1 is £149 it was £134.10 two days ago for a while. I am waiting for it to drop again myself.

Advertisement