Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Australia - Build Up discussion/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's mild here in Ballsbridge, as I sip my cappuccino from Roly's.

The D-Fourestation is almost complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I think today is Jacksons acid test. He's turning 25, 18 caps and has 4-5 years of playing beside Pienaars steadying influence.
    He had a vgood 1st test against SA. Proved some doubters wrong (me included!) that day. We need him to get back to that level today. Have to say I thought last weeks performance was not good enough.
    Hope to see PJ standing flat and scanning what's in front of him and reacting. Instead of determining in advance e.g. wrap around move no matter what's on.
    Take on the Australia defence PJ and drive us to victory!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I don't normally take offence around here Zzippy. You should know that. I just felt it a bit high-handed of you to dismiss my opinion based on an assumption founded on "I know better than you". You really haven't the first clue about me to be making statements like that.

I'll leave it at that. There's a match to be talking about.

It's a poxy internet forum lads. If anything said on here causes you the slightest bit of offence it would probably be a wise to get off the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think you'll find that particular rag doesn't too much verifying of their information whereas others are waiting for actual confirmation...

Farrell said yesterday both players had muscle fatigue and would be assesed today. A fairly ambiguous term, but there was no mentions, of strains, knocks or injuries. I'd imagine SOB would be fairly fatigued, given the length of his lay off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Mdpo82b.gif
    Felexicon wrote: »
    It's a poxy internet forum lads. If anything said on here causes you the slightest bit of offence it would probably be a wise to get off the internet.

Knda gutted for Seanie. In fairness to him, he's a man who has fought hard to earn his spot back on a starting 15 despite some very tough competition and he's a player we'll miss too.

VDF as outstanding as he is doesn't make as much of a nuisance of himself as Sean.

That said, how bad to be able to fall back on a player like VDF and call on on O'Mahoney from the bench. Says a lot for the state of our current back row that we're not sweating SOB sitting this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

MugMugs wrote: »
    Knda gutted for Seanie. In fairness to him, he's a man who has fought hard to earn his spot back on a starting 15 despite some very tough competition and he's a player we'll miss too.

VDF as outstanding as he is doesn't make as much of a nuisance of himself as Sean.

That said, how bad to be able to fall back on a player like VDF and call on on O'Mahoney from the bench. Says a lot for the state of our current back row that we're not sweating SOB sitting this out.
    To be fair we probably didn't think we missed him over the last year or so. It's just that when he came back, he reminded us.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It was inevitable VdF would start today. He's been edging towards it since Chicago. Named on the bench, gets on after 26 minutes. Two weeks later, named on the bench, gets on after 22 minutes. We've just cut out the middle man injury this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Hopefully Seanie is just still tightened up after his efforts last week and has no new injury.

POM will have come on a lot after his Canada appearance. I'd expect an impressive appearance from him if he comes on.

• Advertisement

It was inevitable VdF would start today. He's been edging towards it since Chicago. Named on the bench, gets on after 26 minutes. Two weeks later, named on the bench, gets on after 22 minutes. We've just cut out the middle man injury this week.

Runs somewhat contrary to Joe's previous explanations though for benching him. Older lads are ideal coming straight on from the warm up whereas VDF doesn't need time to adjust and warm up hence him being the perfect subject to spring from the bench.

Now we've got O'Mahony who is quite Similar to Seanie albeit probably slightly more insane being benched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

To be fair we probably didn't think we missed him over the last year or so. It's just that when he came back, he reminded us.

He's a beast of a player, something special about him.

Great to have Van der Flier.. he's so exciting in a different way. Those line breaks last week were top notch.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Runs somewhat contrary to Joe's previous explanations though for benching him. Older lads are ideal coming straight on from the warm up whereas VDF doesn't need time to adjust and warm up hence him being the perfect subject to spring from the bench.

Now we've got O'Mahony who is quite Similar to Seanie albeit probably slightly more insane being benched.

POM will probably only come on if one of our backrows are absolutely bunched or we've the game won. Not really an impact sub, there in case of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Which TV channel is this being shown on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

degsie wrote: »
    Which TV channel is this being shown on?

Rte2

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is anyone doing a match thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

For O'Briens sake I hope it's just a short term injury. Like a strain from playing 80 minutes of test rugby only 4-5 games back from a long term injury. But if it's another bad tear of whatever it'll be devastating for him having just returned to fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

"Hip flexor" injury.

Big loss, good as VDF has been

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

POM will probably only come on if one of our backrows are absolutely bunched or we've the game won. Not really an impact sub, there in case of injury.

Ah here!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Stheno wrote: »
    Is anyone doing a match thread?

Thanks for volunteering. Don't forget the tables and extensive preview ;)

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah here!

He's completely wrong about POM, but we can let POM prove it :)

Zzippy wrote: »
    Thanks for volunteering. Don't forget the tables and extensive preview ;)

It will be rubbish if I do it I'm on the phone

He's completely wrong about POM, but we can let POM prove it :)

I said before that he could struggle back into the camp this year bar injury. I was correct about that.

I also think his performance against Canada was high energy but non physical. He could struggle out there until his capacity matches his intent. He wasn't in the frame for today and I don't see VDF or Heaslip not lasting 80. Stander may empty the tank in 60 and make way for POM, but if it's close I wouldn't be surprised to see him used sparingly.

I said before that he could struggle back into the camp this year bar injury. I was correct about that.

I also think his performance against Canada was high energy but non physical. He could struggle out there until his capacity matches his intent. He wasn't in the frame for today and I don't see VDF or Heaslip not lasting 80. Stander may empty the tank in 60 and make way for POM, but if it's close I wouldn't be surprised to see him used sparingly.

No, you weren't correct, because the lad has been injured. We'll see what happens when he's fit. POM is a better player than Stander for me.

SOB tight hip flexer. Nothing major, just not ready.

No, you weren't correct.

Not picked for Chicago, not picked for today bar injury. Explain how I was not correct?

He's also had more games than SOB... just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

You're majorly undervaluing O'Mahony. I'd say we'll see him coming on for Stander at around the 60' mark.

Not picked for Chicago, not picked for today bar injury. Explain how I was not correct?

He's also had more games than SOB... just saying.

POM was out for a year and he's not fit yet. He's still in the process of returning from the injury you were referring to originally.

So what he's had more games than SOB? SOB was back in training before him right? Surely things are different for different injuries and different people?

Surely things are different for different injuries and different people?

Only when making excuses. POM was back on the pitch weeks before Sean, both had significant leg injuries requiring surgery.

Sean is a much stronger man and as such is less reliant on speed and precision. In terms of their physical attributes I suppose it's fair to say that both suffering from a lower limb injury gives Sean an advantage given how powerful he is.

Anyway, I want 23 out of skin performance today. I don't support Peter any less than I support Gary or Jamie. If POM comes on it's an experienced international with some big previous performances under his belt and I hope he lives upto that.

Funny how immune from criticism he is though. Has had one average international performance in over a year against poor opposition. Kearney has two good games against the All Blacks and gets shredded all week. Weird that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Is somebody doing the match thread? If not, I'll do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement