Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C25K and Beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I had a reply typed but must have forgot to hit the post button. I wandered where all ye had went to :)

I got 2 more runs in since my last post and 8K and a 10K today. I managed the 10K in 59 Mins. It took a bit more out of me than normal. I probably should have slowed my pace a bit. All in all Im happy with my progress this week.

I had being running 5 and 10ks. I have now started training for the Marathon. Im using Hal Higdens Novice guide 1. Il update this post weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Best of luck with your marathon training. Looking forward to reading your updates.

SO far this week was 3 X 5Ks and a 10K today. Tomorrow is an easy 5K. Sunday is a rest day and back training Monday.

• Advertisement

Another good week, I have decided to set strava to miles. This week was 3 X 3 mile runs a 7 mile run and I have another easy 3 mile run on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

If you don't mind me asking, why miles?

Im training for the dingle marathon Sumsar and the course is laid out in miles. The water stations and toilets are also laid out in miles. The training program im following is also in Miles not Kilometres. It just seems easier to use miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

And there's less of them. I changed over to miles too when I started logging here because the majority here were using miles . There's A good few now using metric though.

How's the training going pcuser

Flying it Muppet.

Im really enjoying it and cant wait for the marathon. I upgraded from a pair of €20 runners to a pair of Nike Downshifter 7s. Theres a huge difference.

• Advertisement

ANother good week of training. 3 x 3miles, 1 x 4miles and 1 x 5 miles. Altogether it was 18 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good stuff pcuser, the training is going well.

Another good week,

3 x 3 miles, 1 x 4 mile, 1 x 9 mile.

The 9 mile run was yesterday, I should have went early morning or late evening. It was too hot out there at 1 o Clock, I still finished the run but the heat took a lot out of me

That's a good week PCUser, It is tough going with the heat all right but it all helps build endurance .

The Muppet wrote: »
    That's a good week PCUser, It is tough going with the heat all right but it all helps build endurance .

Im enjoying it so much at the moment Muppet, I really feel like a "Runner" now. I picked up a GPS watch a polar M400. Its much easier and lighter than using strava on the phone. Its also more accurate.

Im really looking forward to the marathon.

Dingle in september isn't it?

With the milage you are putting in now you will be in great shape for that. Been in Dingle a few times. It s hilly around there if I remember correctly ard you running hills in your training?

Yep Dingle is Septmeber.

Im not really running hills at the moment, Maybe I should start. There is a hill in the village where I live.

I just remember the area as being very hilly from holidaying there . I just googled this year's event and found this.

This is a 26.04 mi Run in Dingle, Ireland. The Run has a total ascent of 645.21 ft and has a maximum elevation of 397.11 ft.

My own thoughs is that you should factor that into your training. Perhaps you could sound out a local experienced runner who knows the course and get their thoughts on it or post a question on the DCM 2017 thread and get opinions from there .

Thanks Muppet,

I follow a runner on strava who has done this course I will get on to him. My normal run has a total ascent of 209 ft. So im a third of the way there :)

Did you join the dcm 2017 novice thread here? I know your not running dcm this year but you will still get lots of support and advice in there if you post in it, we had guys in last years Thread training for other marathons, its not only for people running Dublin.

• Advertisement

AH i did not realize that, I will introduce myself there later on. :) Thanks again Muppet.

Just a quick update,

I have still being following the guide im using and running 5 days a week. I have a polar M400 and normally I sych it with my phone after a run and it will update my strava, I have being having problems with my phone and have being reflashing a lot. I forgot to install the Polar Flow App a few times and have lost my progress on Strava. Its not an issue I have being running the miles at my normal pace. If anyone is following me on Strava thats the reason I have not updated much lately.

How's the Marathon training going pc user?

Brutal to be honest.

I upgraded my phone to an s8 and have being using there fitness app instead of strava so I have no runs logged on strava. On the 22nd June I was out for a 14 mile run. Everything was going normal until mile 9. I got a really sharp pain on the left hand side of my left knee and had to stop running. It was quiet sore and caused me to limp home. Luckily someone passed and picked me up and dropped me off home. I was fine walking downstairs but to life my leg left up to ascend was painful.

I thought it would be best to rest it for a week and go back running then.
    I work in a bar/post office/shop all in one. The boss was on a weeks holidays with the family and only arrived back today. Normally there would be myself and another woman that would work. She walked out of the job a few days before the holiday was due to start. The boss wanted to cancel the holiday but I convinced him to let me work open to close for the week. I get on really well with him and he has always being a pleasure to work for.

Because of this I have not run for the last week either, So thats 2 weeks without a run. Il go back running tomorrow and might just run a week of 3/6/3/0/7/0/3 mile runs and ease back in. Its 8 weeks and 4 days to the marathon so im hoping I will be ok

Sorry to hear of the injury. The increase in milage could well be a factor. Had similar myself at one stage . Rest and then short runs to ease back in it cured mine. .of course yours could be different so Just be sensible when you get back to it and if it persists get it looked at . That looks like a sensible plan for a comeback once you,re prepared to stop if you get any pain.

Sounds Like you've been too busy to run anyway .

Good luck when you get back to it.

I ran a 5k yesterday and near the end i felt the slightest of twinges where the injury was before. Il skip today and run tomorrow and see how I get on. Its 8 weeks and 1 day to the marathon so im starting to get slightly nervous.

Sorry to read that. Is it right up the outside of you knee? Mine was and kicked in around 5 miles so I just ran 5ks for a few weeks . I also wore one of those neoprene knee supports my thinking being it would keep everything where it should be. I think it helped .

Hope it settles down soon for u .

Sorry to read that. Is it right up the outside of you knee? Mine was and kicked in around 5 miles so I just ran 5ks for a few weeks . I also wore one of those neoprene knee supports my thinking being it would keep everything where it should be. I think it helped .

• Advertisement

Advertisement