Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C25K and Beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

The Plan for the next 12 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

pcuser wrote:
    The Plan for the next 12 weeks

Fair play, I started following your training log, I've found your posts anywhere in the fitness section are always a good read so I look forward to seeing your updates.

Thank You Sumsar.

Today was a handy run only 2 miles.

3km 5.31/km 17:05

Im considering not running the Dublin Marathon and instead run the Dingle Marathon at the start of September, Im a half hour drive from Dingle. TO run in the Dublin Marathon I will have to pay for a hotel, transport, and meals for the wife and I. Im be going to Florida 4 weeks after that so it seems to make more sense to run the Dingle Marathon.

I have read through the DCM Novices Thread here on boards and realize that there is plenty of motivation given there as well as some great advice from experienced runners. But I genuinely believe I will be able to follow a training program on my own and complete the marathon.

What would peoples views be on this? Should I run the DCM just to be able to use the Novices Thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

pcuser wrote: »
    Today was a handy run only 2 miles.

3km 5.31/km 17:05

Im considering not running the Dublin Marathon and instead run the Dingle Marathon at the start of September, Im a half hour drive from Dingle. TO run in the Dublin Marathon I will have to pay for a hotel, transport, and meals for the wife and I. Im be going to Florida 4 weeks after that so it seems to make more sense to run the Dingle Marathon.

I have read through the DCM Novices Thread here on boards and realize that there is plenty of motivation given there as well as some great advice from experienced runners. But I genuinely believe I will be able to follow a training program on my own and complete the marathon.

What would peoples views be on this? Should I run the DCM just to be able to use the Novices Thread?

The novices thread is not just for DCM You can still use the novices thread if doing another Marathon , Of course If its 8 weeks before DCM you will be on a different page than the ones doing DCM.

Tailgunner was one of the novices this year and he ran Berlin which was a few weeks before Dublin.

I have to say the atmosphere at DCM was something else , I've never done another one so I don't know if its the same everywhere else, To experience that atmosphere again would be a motivation for me to do it again.

Perhaps you can make DCM 2018 your second one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Yeah I was in a similar situation last year running Berlin, but I'd say I gained as much from the novices thread as anyone else. I was a bit concerned about being a few weeks ahead as well, but it made little difference in the end.

Not everyone is on the same plan, and some people end up a week or two ahead or behind anyway for various reasons.

You'd probably be well able to train on your own, but the novices thread is great for comparing notes, as it were, and the mentoring is excellent every year.

Honestly, if you make the most of the novices thread, you'll end up being better trained and better prepared than most of the people around you in your starting pen, whether that's in Dingle or Dublin.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info Muppet and Tailgunner. I think il run the Dingle Marathon and use the novice thread. I can run the 2018 DCM :)

Thanks for the info Muppet and Tailgunner. I think il run the Dingle Marathon and use the novice thread. I can run the 2018 DCM :)

That sounds like a plan, Have you looked at any marathon plans yet , You should be starting into a plan around the end of April for an early September Marathon. How many miles a week are you running now ?

Hi Muppet.

I was running anywhere from 15 to 20 miles a week. This week I started the Hal Higden Novice Half Marathon Plan. It starts with 12 miles per week and gradually increases.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

I was thinking of using the Hal Higden Marathon Training Guide - Novice 1. I dont have a time goal for my 1st marathon I just want to enjoy it. I might focus on a certain time for my 2nd marathon. I will have being running about 50 weeks when I start the Dingle marathon so if I can just finish a marathon I will be delighted.

Hi Muppet.

I was running anywhere from 15 to 20 miles a week. This week I started the Hal Higden Novice Half Marathon Plan. It starts with 12 miles per week and gradually increases.

I was thinking of using the Hal Higden Marathon Training Guide - Novice 1. I dont have a time goal for my 1st marathon I just want to enjoy it. I might focus on a certain time for my 2nd marathon. I will have being running about 50 weeks when I start the Dingle marathon so if I can just finish a marathon I will be delighted.

That's a very sensible approach, and ties in with that plan, Other's here might disagree but I think any other approach into taking on a marathon only 50 weeks into running would be a big ask. The training is tougher than the day itself IMO.

As you will most likely be starting your plan before the 2017 Novice thread gets going if you have any questions make sure you post the here and someone with the knowledge to answer them will I'm sure.

FWIT I used the HH Intermediate half marathon plan a few years ago and loved it , it got me to the half marathon distance too.

• Advertisement

Thanks Muppet. As always your are a man of wisdom :)

I just came back for a run today. It was only supposed to be 3 mile/5K but i misheard the audio cue and ran 6km.

6KM 6:01/Km 36:12

I had a stomach bug for the last few days and did not get to run until today.

Today was a 4 mile run. (4.34 miles when converted to KM and rounded off)

7Km 6:02/Km 42:13

That stomach big has being doing the round with everyone in the house. I had 1 more run after the previously posted run. I missed a few days so decided to start hlaf way through week 2 again to keep the running consistent.

5.2 Km 31:34 6:03/KM

I have a 2 mile run today so I will update again after that.

Todays Run.

3.1 Km 15:53 5:10/ Km

Todays Run.

3.1 Km 15:53 5:10/ Km

Speedy :)

I though I would push it a bit with it being so short. If felt really good. Its a 4 mile run tomorrow so it will be back to normal :)

A 4 mile run today.

6.6Km 39:45 6.01/km

Im really starting to notice how far I have come so far. A few weeks back an average 6 minute KM for 5 KM to get the Sub 30 seemed unlikely, I really had to give it everything.

I can now run at 1Km every 6 minutes for much longer and its an easy run :)

I can run faster but its not as enjoyable. For the 1st year im really going to enjoy it. After that I will increase the pace.

You're flying PCuser. hows the marathon plans progressing , what sort of weekly milage are you up to now?

Around 25K a week and increasing each week. I havent had a run since Thursday though. We had to attend a funeral. Im slightly hungover at the moment so I wait until tomorrow to run again.

Around 25K a week and increasing each week. I havent had a run since Thursday though. We had to attend a funeral. Im slightly hungover at the moment so I wait until tomorrow to run again.

Sorry to hear of the funeral.

No harm having a step back week every so often just to allow recovery from running and hangovers.

• Advertisement

I got back out Today for a 3.5 mile run.

6.0KM 33:43 5.35/KM.

Its a 2 mile tomorrow and another 3.5 on Thursday.

Strava crashed during Yesterdays run but it was only 2 miles.

Todays run was 3.5 miles. The wind was quiet strong and rain very heavy but still enjoyable.

6KM 35:40 5.55/KM

I only got a chance to update this thread now.

The last 2 runs were a 5 mile run
    8K 46:53 5:51 Km

and a 3 mile
    6K 35:15 5:53Km

I went for a 2 mile run a while ago and left the phone at home. The weather was nice, no breeze a bit warmer than the previous few days and dry.

I really enjoyed it today.

Another 3.5 mile run today.

6KM 34:25 5:43 KM

Yesterdays Run.

8km 45.19 5.39 Km.

Its a rest day today. Next weeks runs are a 6 mile, 4 mile, 2 mile and another 4 mile with 30 mins walking.

I had a message typed here about a month ago but must have forgot to hit the "Post Button"

Anyway about a month ago I went out for a run in the rain (Which I quiet enjoy) In was jogging along the road and thought I was placing my foot on a puddle, It was in fact a pothole. I felt an excruciating pain shoot up my achilles tendon, Luckily I did not tear it but it stopped me jogging for the best part of a month.

I started jogging again last week. First a 2K then 3K and a 5K. I ran a 6K on Saturday and managed a 7K yesterday. The tendon feels fine so il try an 8K tomorrow and hopefully a 10K near the end of the week.

I have noticed the runs have being harder than normal. I feel a bit more tired during the run. Im presuming that is just stamina related due to not running for a month. I probably wont be able to run the half marathon at the end of this month :( I dont want to push myself too much with the training in a short space of time. There is a charity climb in Carounthill so i will do that instead.

If all goes well with the running for the rest of this month I will start training for the Full Marathon in September.

Sorry to read that pcuser . Same thing happened me at one stage not as serious as yours but enough to teach me to avoid puddles.

It won't take long to get back to where you were after only a month out . The best of luck with your recovery.

Yep it will certainly be the last time I run through a puddle :) Whats a bit more worrying is the claim compo culture that has reared its ugly head in Ireland. A few people at work asked me why I was walking with a limp. When I told them what happened I was told to "Get on to a solicitor" .

Its a valuable lesson learnt, It could have being worse I could have being this guy Ouch

• Advertisement

Yep it will certainly be the last time I run through a puddle :) Whats a bit more worrying is the claim compo culture that has reared its ugly head in Ireland. A few people at work asked me why I was walking with a limp. When I told them what happened I was told to "Get on to a solicitor" .

Its a valuable lesson learnt, It could have being worse I could have being this guy Ouch

Thats funny, Compo culture is sad , we all pay for that . I did wonder where you had got to , there's a few other notables missing from here of late too.

Advertisement