Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C25K and Beyond

Options
  • 21-11-2016 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

I have decided to start a training log as suggested in other posts. This is in no way me being arrogant, cocky or egotistical. I genuinely hope that someone is thinking about starting the c25k and will read this and be inspired.

About me:

I was generally pretty fit up to the age of 28. I used to walk to work 5 days a week which was a distance of 4.8 Km per day. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with testicular cancer at age 28 and it took me the best part of a year to get back on my feet. Luckily my long term health was not affected with the exception of walking slightly off balance due to having 1 testicle :D

I suppose over the years with 4 kids and getting back to work I let myself go. I had put up a lot of weight but kept justifying it by thinking "I can lose that whenever I want" as well as being 6:4 and being able to carry it well.My thinking was only adding to the problem as it always seemed to be "After Christmas il start"

About 10 weeks ago I had the most vivid dream of my life. I was at my own funeral as a ghost looking at my Wife and Children crying. I was only in my early 50s and the kids were still quiet young. The next morning I woke up and completely changed my lifestyle. I changed my diet and soon after that I started the C25k.

I thought I would struggle with the diet but it was quiet easy. I eat more food now but I am eating the right foods. I eat a breakfast now which is something I have not done since I was a child. I also cut out meat and dairy. On a normal day I would drink about 3 liters of milk. I now use soya milk. I eat plenty of fish, fruit, veg, lentils etc. I find I enjoy my food a lot more and take more time in preparing it and savoring the taste.

About 2 weeks in to the new diet I started the C25k. Im delighted to say I have finished it and I am now using the 10 K app. Looking back I made some pretty stupid mistakes which could have stopped me running before I even started. Here is the list

(1)On my very 1st run I could only complete 4 of the 8 one minute runs. For the first 4 runs I ran way too fast and I could not complete run 5. I had to stop and walk home.(Luckily after reading through the forums here I realized I was running too fast and needed to slow down a lot.

(2)For some reason I was breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. This was a big mistake as it was restricting my airflow and causing me to become lightheaded.

(3)Stretching:
    Although the app does not say that you should stretch I found it to be very beneficial.

(4)Getting ahead of myself:
    Not too long in to the training I decided to push myself a bit too much. I had just finished all my runs and should have started my 5 minute cooldown. Instead I decided to keep running. This was around week 3/4 and it caused me to pull my left calf muscle. This stopped me running for a week. I realize now that it takes time for the body to become used to a high impact sport.

(5)Skipping weeks:
    I took a massive gamble here that could have completely backfired and caused me to hate running. I am embarrassed to admit it as I feel completely stupid but I skipped 2 weeks of the c25k.

I was up to week 6 day 3, The runs were 22 minutes and I was finding them a bit easy. I decided to stop the program and just go straight for the 5k. I dont know how but I managed to run the 5k in 33 mins without getting injured. I can not stress enough how idiotic this was. Generally speaking no more than 10% of your distance should be added every week. I went ahead and added 37%. I plan to keep on running and my impatience caused me to skip 2 weeks. Next year when Im looking back I will realize even more how measly 2 weeks is in the grand scheme of things.

(6)Strava
    Now this may not be the case for everyone but for me using strava was a bit foolish. When I skipped the 2 weeks I decided that it would be sensible to continue running 5k for 2 weeks and then continue on the 10k app from the correct week.

I used strava for the second week and it started turning in to a 5K fastest time contest. I was trying to compete with other people who were also beginners and beat there time. If I had taken the time to look properly I would have realized that the people I was trying to compete with were running either down a slight hill or a flat track.The route I run has a 41m elevation so they always had an advantage. I also had to stop for traffic at times whereas they did not.

Luckily this only lasted a week and I still use strava for my runs as it is a great tool to improve when used correctly. When Im running a lot longer it will be fun to go back to having competitions with people who are in the same boat as me with regards to running. But for now its all about building my stamina and distance not times.
    Since starting the diet and the c25k I have lost 42lbs (19 kilos, 3 stone) I reckon this is the only reason I suffered no injuries when I skipped 2 weeks. Basically my ankles were carrying a small bag of coal less weight or 10 two liter bottles of coke less.

The Plan
    The plan is pretty much a simple one. Stop being impatient use common sense and take the advice from the boardsies here.

Currently Im using the 10K app also by Zen labs. All going well I should be finished early January.
    When I have completed that I will start to train for a half marathon. Im still unsure whether I should use the 13.1 app by Zenlabs or follow a plan from here. But I will look in to that a bit more when the time comes.

Hopefully if all that goes well I plan on joining the DCM 2017 Novice thread here and running the marathon in Dublin next year. I have booked a hotel for it so all going well I will be running it or volunteering. Either way I will be there.

I have to say that there have being some very inspirational stories on the forums but TheMuppets is always on my mind, That man has achieved some much is such a short space of time and still pops in to the 5k thread to help newbies out. From they way he was talking to us I taught he had just finished the 5k app. Kudos Sir

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Welcome to the world of logging pcuser. Great first post.

Well done on completely overhauling your lifestyle, the results are amazing.

I will be following your logs with interest as I am hoping to do a half marathon in June next year. I am currently running 10km having started running from nowhere in February.

Best of luck with your training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Thanks Gypsy, The same to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant start to your running & lifestyle overhaul. Good luck with the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The best of luck with the log Pc User, you have set yourself some tough but achievable goals there, your determination is evident in your posts to date, I will follow with interest.

Thanks for the mention in your opening post, I'm delighted to read that my posts have helped you in some way in the same way that others here have helped me, helping each other is what this forum is all about to me. My running achievements are pretty modest compared to most others here but I get where you are coming from. Thanks

I completed week 9 day 3 of the 10k app today, Jog for 10 mins walk for 1 min X 4. Im finding it quiet easy and im not sure if thats a good or a bad thing. After the 10 min run I have to walk for 1 minute. I know I can run the whole 40 mins but I need to stop being so inpatient and follow the advice of the app.

Unfortunately I somehow managed to enable airplane mode during my run so I lost my GPS signal and have no data from strava but each run I seem to be running a little further. I run the same route each day so by using google maps I know my total distance was 7.9 Km. 40 mins of this was jogging while 14 mins was walking (5 min warm up/down and 4 1 min breaks)

I think it may be time to start looking at GPS watches. I had no need for one with the 5ks but with the DCM less than 12 months away I think it may be a great investment.

I also reckon im half way there to being a "Proper Runner" :) I bought running tights today and used them for the 1st time. However I felt a bit naked with the so I wore a pair of shorts over them. Strangely enough they are quiet comfortable. They also seem to regulate my temperature much better. For all the other runs I was using a Canterbury tracksuit bottoms. It was a nightmare running in the rain as it got very heavy and chaffed a lot. I reckon the tights are the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done so far, invest in some shorts, rather than running tights, much
    more comfortable, you'll get them on sale this time of the year. They are
    also nice and airy so less overheating.

Thanks Kenny. I also have the shorts but the last few mornings it had being quiet cold with a strong breeze where I live, When the weather thaws a bit il use the shorts.

Quick Update.

I had a bit of a cold the weekend so my last Run was Thursday. I went back today and started week 10 day 1 of the 10k app. As always I only used strava during the actually running part and not during the warm up/ warm down.

The distance was exactly 8Km (Just under 5 miles) in 48:59 with an average pace of 6:05/km. Luckily I have not being struggling with any part of the training and still find it quiet easy. Im not sure if I should increase my pace or just keep at the pace I am going. 6:05km seems like a good pace considering im only running 10 weeks. When I went I can still get a sub 30min 5K.

Actually I have just noticed that I have a blister at the side of my foot. I think its time to upgrade my running footwear. At the moment im using a pair of Karimor running shoes that I paid €20 as well as cotton normal cotton socks.

pcuser wrote: »
    Actually I have just noticed that I have a blister at the side of my foot. I think its time to upgrade my running footwear. At the moment im using a pair of Karimor running shoes that I paid €20 as well as cotton normal cotton socks.

I find 1000 mile socks great for blister preventing. About €17 a pair so not cheap but I've never had a sign of a blister while wearing them .

• Advertisement

I reckon its the cheap running shoes as well as normal socks. I put in a lot of hours at work last week so I might invest in them THursday. Thank You

pcuser wrote: »
    I reckon its the cheap running shoes as well as normal socks. I put in a lot of hours at work last week so I might invest in them THursday. Thank You

Could be either, I go up a size in my running shoes over normal shoes and wear the socks and that works for me, , never get a mark on my feet. In a previous discussion on the subject there was someone here for whom the socks didn't work.

I don't really buy into the cheap shoes are crap argument TBH , getting a proper fitting shoe is important though.

The Muppet wrote: »

I don't really buy into the cheap shoes are crap argument TBH , getting a proper fitting shoe is important though.

You hit the nail on the head, The shoes I was using were fine for the shorter distances but now im jogging 8 km and walking 2 km. I will be getting the GAIT analysis this week.

I ran week 10 day 2 of the 10k app today and really enjoyed my run.

Distance was 8.2km, Pace was 5:52/km. Each run my pace is increasing slightly but I dont have to work any harder. It just seems to be coming naturally.

I ran Week 10 Day 3 of the 10K app today.

I found it a bit tough today and my pace was off by 15 seconds a kilometer. I noticed that I was blowing my nose a lot during the run and still seem to be now, Its probably the makings of a cold on the way. Im working all weekend so il wait until Monday to go for a run again.

I only have 4 weeks left of the 10K app and all going well I will be finished 30/12/16. I will start the training then for the Half Marathon in Limerick on 30/04/17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Good half, did it this year, make sure you take in plenty of long drags in
    training runs as there are lots of long drags, only couple of hills. Best luck with
    it.

The least few days have being a bit of a disaster. Last Saturday I was walking from work and walked on to a rock that I did not see where the car was parked.

I hurt my Achilles tendon and im not running atm, In fact when I walking im limping slightly. I hope it doesnt take too long to heal :(

Just a quick update.

I have not ran the last few days. Im hoping to go for a jog in the morning. Il take it easy and just go for a 5k. If all goes well I will continue on from the 10K app.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hopefully your run tomorrow will go well and you are back to fitness soon. Take it easy.

Wohoo,

I managed to get out for a run yesterday and everything went well. 8.5km in 55 mins @6.31 Km.

Nice run to get the legs moving again and delighted to see it went well.

• Advertisement

I went for another run yesterday. 8.1km @52:34 Pace was 6:26/Km

Just a quick update. I ran very little over the 2 weeks of Xmas. Mostly due to a head cold and working extra hours. I have being running normal again for the last few days.

I just finished week 12 Day 2 of the 10K app which is jog for 18 minutes then walk for 1 minute X3.

Im glad I took Muppets advice to only train for a half Marathon in April instead of a full Marathon. I think I would have being putting myself under too much pressure. Since I have started running I have missed 4 weeks due to injuries and being sick im still well on track for the half marathon training schedule, however it had being for a full marathon I would not have being able to train properly.

Cheers ,it important to set goals for yourself to progress and its equally important to make those achievable without pushing your body beyond its limits at the time, it is difficult for us when we are new to running and full of enthusiasm to recognize our limits without a little guidance. The limits will change as you get fitter and you will get to know what your capable of.

When you run your first half marathon you may well have serious doubts of being able to double up on that and do a full, I know I did, but once you build up to it properly and follow a proven plan the full is achieveable.

The best of luck with your 2017 goals, your commitment will get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Best of luck with the training pcuser, I will follow this log with interest. I only started the c25k in Oct 2015 and done DCM a year later so I was similar to yourself in terms of goals. Go nice and handy in your training, don't worry about times, just get the miles into the legs and see how you are in April/May and most of all, enjoy :-)

Thanks Lads :)

I ran my 1st 10K last Friday in 1:02:20 @ 6:13 Km average pace.

Im a bit surprised at the pace as I thought I was taking it slow. I wont say I found it easy but in no way did I find it hard.

My next goal is the half-marathon in Limerick on 30/04/17. I think I will follow the Hal Higdon Novice 2 schedule http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

Its a 12 week program and if I start on 05/02/17 it will be exactly 12 weeks to the race date. Ideally though I would like to get started sooner in case I miss any weeks. Is this a good idea or should I stick to the plan and start 12 weeks before the race date. Im slightly concerned that if I start sooner everything will go to plan and when I finish the program it will be a 3 week wait for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cookie_fan

Congrats pcuser on completing the 10k, hearing things like this will help keep more of us going!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cookie_fan

Congrats pcuser on completing the 10k, hearing things like this will help keep more of us going!

Cookie_fan wrote: »

Thanks CookieFan.

To be honest the hardest part was starting the C25K plan. The very 1st run I stopped half way but decided I would not give up and kept at it.

All I am doing now is increasing my distance a little each week. I found the jump from 5K to 10K easier than couch potato to 5K.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update, I have finished the C210K app and I have now started training for a Half Marathon on the 30/04/17.

I am going to follow Hal Higdens Marathon Training Guide - Novice 1.

I was going to follow an intermediate plan but decided against it. I really enjoy running and I dont want to make it a chore for the 1st few months. I found it enjoyable moving up from the 5k to 10k app and I want to try and keep it the same for the half marathon. All going well I will have completed a half and full marathon this year. I might start looking at increasing my pace after that.

I started today with a 3 mile run. Strava uses KM so I will round up or down the miles to the nearest kilometer for the program.
    It seems a bit odd moving down to a 5k when I had being running 8K to 10Ks. But slow and steady wins the race.

Todays Run 5.0km 5:47/km 28:59

Advertisement