Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The sleeper of sudden death

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lilblankdress2

@Ben gadot

Unfortunately some people never get answers. If it's a cardiac cause sometimes it's caused by arrhythmias that cannot be detected once the heart is stopped. Family members need to get screening if sudden adult death syndrome is suspected. Some people have cardiac disorders which can be identified after death. Some family members only find out they also have the cardiac condition after screening as they may have a funny defect seen simply on a tracing of the heart or something like an enlarged heart.

My friend died last year from SADS. I don't think her family ever got a cause which is difficult.

In my personal experience dealing with the death of a friend from SADS was much more difficult than dealing with a friends death from cancer as I got to tell them how much I loved them and got to say goodbye.

I think people who work in the family screening clinics do a sterling job dealing with not only a families grief but also dealing with what their own personal future holds and trying to get answers and treatment for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I regret that outburst myself and don't think much differently from yourself when it comes to people in general.

As for the thread title it's dumb admittedly, I'd appreciate if a mod would change it to just sudden death.

I regret that outburst myself and don't think much differently from yourself when it comes to people in general.

As for the thread title it's dumb admittedly, I'd appreciate if a mod would change it to just sudden death.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

OP - regarding the thread title...it may not be completely flippant.

Brugada syndrome causes sudden death, often during sleep, and often in previously quite healthy young adult men.

It was known in south-east Asia as a kind of monster that preyed on sleeping men...

"--- Sudden unexplained nocturnal death syndrome (SUNDS) is a condition characterized by unexpected cardiac arrest in young adults, usually at night during sleep. This condition was originally described in Southeast Asian populations, where it is a major cause of death. Researchers have determined that SUNDS and Brugada syndrome are the same disorder.

(from a government website)

And actually inspired a famous movie script..."Nightmare on Elm St"

https://vanwinkles.com/sudden-and-unexplained-the-sleep-deaths-that-inspired-freddy-krueger

So the association between sleep and sudden cardiac death in adults is not at all facetious, I assure you.

Anyone who has lost a relative in this unpredictable and very traumatic way ought to get tested for Brugada syndrome or similar arrhythmias. More information is needed and knowledge is protective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No need for that bollox. Youre a disgrace.

The comment was immature but do you really care? You didnt know the guy , you don't even know the OP who knows him, the faux outrage is cringe sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

A neighbour of mine was found dead at his desk (47) by his wife and 2 kids returning home from a day away. Heart attack.

I'm 43, a heavyish smoker, weekend drinker. The idea of just dropping dead at any moment is a bit scary. I remember seeing a video (liveleak I think) of an Indian guy at a table with other speakers. He was talking and just died in a second. Freaked me out.

When I hear of young, sporty types half my age dying on a playing field I kinda figure **** it I'm gonna keep doing what i'm doing.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e22_1379111135&comments=1

Thats how quick it happens. Scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Heckler wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine was found dead at his desk (47) by his wife and 2 kids returning home from a day away. Heart attack.

I'm 43, a heavyish smoker, weekend drinker. The idea of just dropping dead at any moment is a bit scary. I remember seeing a video (liveleak I think) of an Indian guy at a table with other speakers. He was talking and just died in a second. Freaked me out.

When I hear of young, sporty types half my age dying on a playing field I kinda figure **** it I'm gonna keep doing what i'm doing.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e22_1379111135&comments=1

Thats how quick it happens. Scary.

Jesus thats terrifying.. don't watch it if you scare easily!

HS3 wrote: »
    I don't know. They did a post mortem but I thought it a bit intrusive to go ask my colleague.

Unless we go for MOT's how could you detect anything?

A trip to the GP is 50 quid unless you have a medical card. Most people probably have some condition they would like to have checked out but 50 quid is 50 quid. Its a lot of money. And 50 quid is just the initial consult. MRIs, ultrasounds etc. Its more kerching! If healthcare in this country was more accessible and affordable perhaps, more of these conditions might be seen earlier and perhaps less of these deaths would occur.

The current waiting list for an MRI is about 14 months. Good thing MRIs aren't urgent right?

GPs cannot screen for this:

If there is a family history of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, (eg, a first degree relative) then the Mater have a research foundation that will do screening for free.

("Heart House", Eccles St)

Google it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    We just got news of a neighbour dropping dead in his 30s. He had no history of illness. I'm wondering how common this is so share your stories. :/

Its very common. Never happens to the upper classes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

An ex of mine died from SAD at 32. I took it really hard. He was a great guy. Exes are exes but at this age, you really don't expect them to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was friendly with the girl who passed away on the flight home from Cape Town last week.
    We still don't know why it happened, even after the post mortem. She was just gone 30 in August, non smoker and a very healthy girl in general.
    Very hard to wrap my brain around it, she was so full of life and genuinely good & decent person.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Its very common. Never happens to the upper classes!

People with money will always have a better chance of looking after their health or at least of gaining quicker access to the best of care. I mean I remember the day my godmother died from cancer that Kylie Minogue got the all clear so it's a bitter pill.

Then again, my oul lad paid his vhi for decades and still more or less got the same treatment when dying anyone else would going public.

So money is obviously a positive when it comes to fighting illness, but there are some illnesses you just can't combat. If they're silently aggressive or just pure silent all the money in the world will not help.

Saddest of all is that they now think that Brugada syndrome and the like, may be responsible for some cases of what was formerly called "cot death" - sudden unforeseen death of an infant, usually during sleep.

It can't be anticipated, and often can't be detected at post-mortem either: screening and family history are the only predictors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

pcuser wrote: »
    It happened a friend of mine 18 yrs ago, Ross Cooney. He was playing a game of basketball for UL above in Dublin and dropped dead during the game. He was only 18/19 he didnt not smoke and was a very athletic guy.

Did they find out if all the cans of Redbull he drank during the tournament contribute to his death?

Advertisement