Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The sleeper of sudden death

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's still AH though. If the OP really gave a **** they'd have posted it in the numerous other forums here that could have taken it. It was posted in AH specifically for that type of reaction, why else?
    OK, why don't you contact me if that's what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Cop on lads. People die of this, and information can be protective.

Sudden death from cardiac arrhythmia IS much commoner than you may think and it seems to particularly strike healthy young men - a group that of course have usually no history of ill-health.
    And nothing to do with cholesterol at all, or any of the usual "culprits" - its a genetic defect in the cell walls at a microscopic level.
    Sodium, for example, is one electrolyte that people sometimes blame for heart troubles; but a lack of enough sodium or potassium can be very serious. And this could be caused by fever or diarrhoea or heavy sweating.
    These heart conditions can run in families and there is an Irish screening programme for them
    http://www.sads.ie/index.html

Because it didn't happen to me or anyone I give a crap about so I really don't give a **** to be honest.

Good man I hope it never dòès

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

I know of a good few instances where this has happened myself. Young people just passing without warning. Very shocking, goes against the grain of what we perceive to be the "normal" and "natural" way of things. But death is the apex of normal and natural, it is one of the only two definites in life - you are born, you will die. IMO The Modern western world holds so much weight in a possession based consumer culture, its easy to view our own present existence as a possession that we do not want to loose. Existence isn't a personal possession like a car, its an experience we all have to go through and make the best we can from it while we're here experiencing it. Sorry to hear about your neighbour OP, I know it will have given you a shock, but this is the way of things.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I know of two people in the last two years. Both high profile jobs. One of them was only saying how stressful it was before they passed other guy dropped dead in his kitchen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No SADS in my immediate family but there's a bad history of heart disease. When I was 15 my mother died suddenly of a massive heart attack. She was 46 years of age and was a heavy smoker. 2 years later my Dad had a triple bypass to clear blocked arteries and a few years ago one of my sisters had heart trouble and had to get a stent in her artery. Last year my cousin in the UK dropped dead of a massive heart attack at 47.

Given the family history, Ive had extensive tests done on my heart and it is mostly Ok except for an issue with calcium build up. I need to stop smoking and exercise more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

So your hearts OK then? Good man. Think you might want to get yer oul Sociopathy checked out though to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

JupiterKid wrote: »
    No SADS in my immediate family but there's a bad history of heart disease. When I was 15 my mother dies suddenly of a massive heart attack. She was 46 years of age and was a heavy smoker. 2 years later my Dad had a triple bypass to clear blocked arteries and a few years ago one of my sisters had heart trouble and had to get a stent in her artery. Last year my cousin in the Ik dropped dead of a massive heart attack at 47.

Given the family history, Ive had extensive tests done on my heart and it is mostly Ok except for an issue with calcium build up. I need to stop smoking and exercise more.

Hate to patronise but yeah give them up. As an smoker myself who has been off them 5 years. Best thing I ever done, you won't regret it and its not as hard as you'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭griffin100

When my son was getting his 6 week checkup the doctor started to get very agitated and kept going back to check his heart and after a bit called another doctor in to have a listen. Long story short he was rushed from Holles St to Crumlin - neither me or my wife were allowed in the ambulance, never a good sign.

What the doctor had found was a heart rate of 180bpm in a small baby. Diagnosed as Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome and SVT - a stray electrical signal in his heart that caused his heart to beat at high speed every so often. He was on huge amounts of medication for the first 6 years of his life - 6 doses of various beta blockers and other drugs per day along with regular checks of his heart rate by his mum and me and frequent hospital admissions when his heart rate wouldn't stabilise. A couple of years ago he had cardiac ablation to fix the problem and he's been symptom free since then

Point is if he hadn't have had his 6 week checkup when he did he would have been dead in a Matter of days (so we are told) and would have been classed as a cot death. We were so lucky that he happened to be having an episode during his checkup, if it had been missed then ................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

D Trent wrote: »
    so.....he did smoke ?

Or he didn't smoke

I'm hugely confused Ted

He did not smoke. Just a typo im working long ****s atm :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

A girl in her late 30's where I work died in her sleep last year. She was 5 months pregnant. I only knew her casually but it really upset me. I heard she had been complaining of chest pain for a few days previous but I don't know what the cause of death was.
    It seemed insensitive to ask her colleagues and TBH it didn't seem to matter.
    She left behind her partner and her one year old child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

JupiterKid wrote: »
    No SADS in my immediate family but there's a bad history of heart disease. When I was 15 my mother died suddenly of a massive heart attack. She was 46 years of age and was a heavy smoker. 2 years later my Dad had a triple bypass to clear blocked arteries and a few years ago one of my sisters had heart trouble and had to get a stent in her artery. Last year my cousin in the UK dropped dead of a massive heart attack at 47.

I'm gonna use this on my tinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I'm gonna use this on my tinder.

A good heart these days is hard to find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Ah for jesus sake the absolute eejits trying to be funny about a poor man who just dropped dead. The OP like many others obviously frequents this forum and posted here because it is the most popular. Sudden death is not a joke, heart conditions are a serious problem, and any suspicion you may have one should be addressed post haste.

And to the clown who made the drop dead gorgeous comment, I hope to jesus the mod bans you for trolling because that's the only thing it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

I work in life assurance and am currently looking after 6 death claims. All 6 under 40, with 2 under 35. Only one of these deaths was due to a long term, diagnosed condition, the rest were sudden/unexplained.

Even worse than these cases, is the guy who dragged his heels and didn't want to spend the cash on life assurance cos he was "young, fit and healthy". His wife and children are now husband/fatherless and facing a very uncertain financial future.

Sudden death and illness are frighteningly common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Friend of my parents, out jogging one day , collapses and dies. Late 30s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

A good friend from college died 7 years ago while out running, he was only thirty. He had an undetected heart condition, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

tatumkelly wrote: »
    I work in life assurance and .......... His wife and children are now husband/fatherless and facing a very uncertain financial future.

Sales pitch of the year! I could sell water to a drowning man. But, I salute you! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Stigura wrote: »
    Sales pitch of the year! I could sell water to a drowning man. But, I salute you! :D

If I were selling things to people drowning it would be life preserves. I stand to make a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Edups wrote: »
    Ah for jesus sake the absolute eejits trying to be funny about a poor man who just dropped dead. The OP like many others obviously frequents this forum and posted here because it is the most popular. Sudden death is not a joke, heart conditions are a serious problem, and any suspicion you may have one should be addressed post haste.

And to the clown who made the drop dead gorgeous comment, I hope to jesus the mod bans you for trolling because that's the only thing it is.

Tbh this is AH, you will always get comments like that. You can't ban people for making ****ty jokes, that's not how this place works. You can however call it as a ****ty joke if you don't like it.

Had a friend of mine die in his sleep from a heart condition. One of nicest blokes I knew. If your out there I hope your at peace buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thread should have a warning on it

DONT READ IF YOU ARE OLD AND HUNGOVER

It was only a neighbour. And you posted it in AH.

I explained my reasoning in the OP and again previously. The point of the thread was to ask other people's experience of it.

There's no better place to garner opinion on here than AH so is that good enough for you?

I guess you gave yours which was none so fair play, but given your flippant attitude I reserve the right to call you a ****.

I'll take the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

My relative had a brain hemorrhage when she was in her 20's, she had no history of illness, clots can form in your body at any age, you can be born with clots in your brain and they can suddenly rupture and kill you with no warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I think I'll give up the old jogging

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

pcuser wrote: »
    It happened a friend of mine 18 yrs ago, Ross Cooney. He was playing a game of basketball for UL above in Dublin and dropped dead during the game. He was only 18/19 he didnt not smoke and was a very athletic guy.

I knew Ross well myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

tatumkelly wrote: »
    Sudden death at the ages being discussed in this thread isn't common though, it happens and sometimes to athletes who live a healthy lifestyle. But in terms of actuarial statistics:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Excerpt_from_CDC_2003_Table_1.pdf

If 100,000 people are born
    At age 19-20, 98,775 are alive
    At age 29-30, 97,847 are alive
    At age 39-40, 96,623 are alive

So roughly 2% of 20 year olds are dead by age 40. Obviously this 2% includes deaths from road accidents, suicides, cancers and other pre existing illnesses so the actual number that suddenly "drop dead" from cardiovascular issues is going to be considerably less than 2%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I don't understand the thread title. Sorry for your loss OP. Sudden death is a b1tch, especially when the person appears healthy.

My brother's friend died a couple of weeks ago. 100% grand until he wasn't and he was 45.

Advertisement