Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The sleeper of sudden death

Options
  • 19-11-2016 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

We just got news of a neighbour dropping dead in his 30s. He had no history of illness. I'm wondering how common this is so share your stories. :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hasn't happened to my neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its happened a lot in a lot of sports if I recall, folk dropping dead during a game.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

More than likely Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, it is believed to be mostly genetic and you can get screened for it although currently the test must be sent to Spain to get the results.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/sudden-adult-death-syndrome-the-genetic-screening-that-saves-young-lives-1.2106873?client=safari&mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.cry.ie/index.php/need-help/information/what-is-sads

Check out this link about SADS.

It's more common than you might expect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Must've been drop dead gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

cisk wrote: »
    More than likely Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, it is believed to be mostly genetic and you can get screened for it although currently the test must be sent to Spain to get the results.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/sudden-adult-death-syndrome-the-genetic-screening-that-saves-young-lives-1.2106873?client=safari&mode=amp
    From what I know it's not genetic, oul lad died from cancer a decade ago in his 60s, other than that deaths since then we're natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

snubbleste wrote: »

Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My nephew has a very rare heart condition he didn't know about.
    It was only due to a complicated pregnancy for his sibling where they were told it was fatal foetal abnormality, and would not survive long after birth, child is now living a normal life aged 8 going on 9, playing sports and like any other child.
    It was his condition that saved his brother as medication was able to control and make better the condition. Parents were told if they didn't have the last child with all the complications and bad news, that the other brother would likely have dropped dead by early teens at the latest as he would have went undiagnosed.
    So what started off with very dark clouds, ended up being literally a life saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

cisk wrote: »

Ah f*ck that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

It happened a friend of mine 18 yrs ago, Ross Cooney. He was playing a game of basketball for UL above in Dublin and dropped dead during the game. He was only 18/19 he didnt not smoke and was a very athletic guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

No need for that bollox. Youre a disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Grow up.
    This is AH.
    Where does the phrase 'drop dead gorgeous' come from then?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is AH.

AH or not, a bit of cop on around a topic like this never hurts. Plenty of threads for thanks-whoring with "funny" comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

This is AH.

I wonder how "funny" you'd find it if it was one of your close friends or family ?
    (Assuming you have any that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

yes, it has happened here recently. 38, died in his sleep, no warnings whatsoever, athletic guy.

Everyone over the age of 40 should get their cholesterol levels checked once a year. I don't think that SAD has anything to do with high cholesterol though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The sleeper of suddden death?

Never heard of that term before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A few (former) pro soccer players have died of cardiovascular issues at relatively young ages. Marc Vivien Foe is a well known one. But just this week Daniel Prodan the former Romania international died in his mid 40s.

Also, Les Sealey, Pavel Srnicek and Trifon Ivanov died relatively young. Ivanov was about 50 the others were younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I saw a very sad video on Live Leaks where an 8 year old girl was playing with her friends in the playground and just suddenly collapsed dead

LordSutch wrote: »
    The sleeper of suddden death?

Never heard of that term before.

That's my own term. Literally I think it's a fair description.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    That's my own term. Literally I think it's a fair description.

sounds more like a train

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Sorry to hear about your neighbour. A friend of a woman in work lost her daughter a few weeks ago. In her 30s, no known underlying illness. She just dropped.

HS3 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your neighbour. A friend of a woman in work lost her daughter a few weeks ago. In her 30s, no known underlying illness. She just dropped.

But what's the underlying illness? I'm always dubious when I hear that phrase as in why do we not hear about these illnesses until it takes the person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

But what's the underlying illness? I'm always dubious when I hear that phrase as in why do we not hear about these illnesses until it takes the person?

I don't know. They did a post mortem but I thought it a bit intrusive to go ask my colleague.

Unless we go for MOT's how could you detect anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Guy I went to school with died at 25yr old, was recently married, sitting down stairs playing a computer game, started to get a headache and said to the wife he was going to lay down. She went up to see how her was about 20 minutes later and couldn't wake him.
    He had an undiagnosed heart condition but had shown no signs of it before.

Edit. Actually there was another guy I went to school with too, he was a paramedic, don't even think he would have been 30, again no history of illness and just didn't wake up one morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Last year one of the neighbours was having a drink in the local pub and he just died mid sentence sitting at the bar.

Was in his mid forties, worked hard, would have played GAA until a few years ago and was in good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

We just got news of a neighbour dropping dead in his 30s. He had no history of illness. I'm wondering how common this is so share your stories. :/

Very sorry to hear of your neighbour passing away. RIP.
    My brother died suddenly a number of years ago. He was only 20. He played a bit of soccer but not competitively, didn't smoke and wasn't a big drinker. He had no symptoms of any underlying illness. The cause of death was Myocarditis which affected the hearts electrical system.
    I think many young sports players today are screened for underlying heart conditions. There are a few organisations that have been set up on the past number of years to provide information in relation to Sudden Adult Death. CRY is one and The Cormac Trust is another.

cocoman wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear of your neighbour passing away. RIP.
    My brother died suddenly a number of years ago. He was only 20. He played a bit of soccer but not competitively, didn't smoke and wasn't a big drinker. He had no symptoms of any underlying illness. The cause of death was Myocarditis which affected the hearts electrical system.
    I think many young sports players today are screened for underlying heart conditions. There are a few organisations that have been set up on the past number of years to provide information in relation to Sudden Adult Death. CRY is one and The Cormac Trust is another.

Where was the grief born out of Man? I'd never be happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

pcuser wrote: »
    It happened a friend of mine 18 yrs ago, Ross Cooney. He was playing a game of basketball for UL above in Dublin and dropped dead during the game. He was only 18/19 he didnt not smoke and was a very athletic guy.

so.....he did smoke ?

Or he didn't smoke

I'm hugely confused Ted

Advertisement