Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Young men in Ireland need feminism'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

AnGaelach wrote: »
    Because that's the simple truth. If you write books for a living (which I've no problem with, I love reading books), you're not as masculine as a fireman.

especially for you . . . don't get too excited . . .

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4737241134_c079b30d32.jpg

and why aren't you watching the Rugby ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Skommando wrote: »
    especially for you . . . don't get too excited . . .

He'd want to cut down his bodyfat % honestly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

vladmydad wrote: »
    Your answer is a complete oxymoron,you admit that with the same experience and whatnot they earn the same but say in general they don't.

At a workforce-wide level, which includes every industry, and every job. Some jobs pay less than others, and many of the lesser-paying jobs are very gynocentric, while many of the better-paying ones are quite androcentric. Thus, the average woman makes less than the average man, at a workforce level.

Is that such a hard conclusion to arrive at?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm not advocating we go around kicking the shít out of kids who prefer to read books at lunch time. What I am advocating is for people to cut their whiny complaining about how masculinity is the root of all men's problems, when it simply is not.

Masculinity isn't the root of mens problems. people like you telling everyone who's more manly is the problem. If someone wants to play sports then that's great. If they don't then that's great too. You however would have no problem with people telling a kid who's reading a book at lunch that he's not a real man. Whereas I'd have absolutely no issue with the guy playing sports.

Guys participating, or not participating in stereotypical manly events are not the issue. Neither is the issue of a woman participating in those events. The issue is people like you who want the rest of the populace to subscribe to your world view.

Just let people be who they are without telling them they are lesser men.

Omackeral wrote: »
    The word feminism brings out the worst in absolutely everyone it seems, online anyway. Women hating men and men hating women. Everyone just be fcuking sound to each other regardless of gender. The word should just be equality at this stage anyway IMO, the word just rubs people the wrong way nowadays and they take a stance one way or the other and pick a side. It's so annoying. There should just be two groups; sound people and dickheads. Don't care if you're a man, woman, black, white, gay, trans, just be fcuking nice to people unless they give you a reason not to be.

Good god i'm triggered as fcuk here!

It's ok, we'll find you a safe space ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

DredFX wrote: »
    At a workforce-wide level, which includes every industry, and every job. Some jobs pay less than others, and many of the lesser-paying jobs are very gynocentric, while many of the better-paying ones are quite androcentric. Thus, the average woman makes less than the average man, at a workforce level.

Is that such a hard conclusion to arrive at?

Well feminists try too turn it into a male conspiracy.Women and Men are different so choose different careers,also men work longer hours take less sick leave ,and so on,my point is if women choose careers that are lower paid jobs then that's not the "patriarchy" holding them down,it's their choice.

Grayson wrote: »
    Masculinity isn't the root of mens problems. people like you telling everyone who's more manly is the problem. If someone wants to play sports then that's great. If they don't then that's great too. You however would have no problem with people telling a kid who's reading a book at lunch that he's not a real man. Whereas I'd have absolutely no issue with the guy playing sports.

I was the kid who read a book at lunch, it's why I study Law and Economics instead of being a mechanic. But I have absolutely no qualms about admitting that the people who played sports at lunch were more masculine than me when I was a child, only someone insecure would deny that.
    Guys participating, or not participating in stereotypical manly events are not the issue. Neither is the issue of a woman participating in those events. The issue is people like you who want the rest of the populace to subscribe to your world view.

No, the issue is trying to shame men for being proud of their masculinity since people like you will complain about it being rude and makes the effeminate man uncomfortable.
    Just let people be who they are without telling them they are lesser men.

Again, quote me where I said we should shame people for being feminine. I said we should promote masculinity, instead of demonising it. If you'd like to find something else to be offended about, my male feminist friend, I'm right here :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Feminism is just misandry. It has nothing to do with equality.

vladmydad wrote: »
    my point is if women choose careers that are lower paid jobs then that's not the "patriarchy" holding them down,it's their choice.

That, I agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Jaysus, things were a lot quieter and simpler before we had all this current form of "Movember" and International Men's Day.....

......now it's an annual feast of navel contemplation about men, masculinity and what it all means.

Hopefully, it'll get back to having a bit of craic while raising money and awareness of men's health, with less of the existentialism!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

They seem to have become the "voice of the snowflake" for some reason. Full of chat about the issues but not so full of chat about the solutions.

They addressed a fair bit actually. They emphasised the benefit of therapy, they discussed the modern mental health issues for men. So yep, they do address solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Edups wrote: »
    Oh here we go again another feminist thread where we bash the wimmin.

And all because of some fool that wears a plastic bag on his head :mad: Does RTE ever think that some child might copy these morons?

Again, quote me where I said we should shame people for being feminine. I said we should promote masculinity, instead of demonising it. If you'd like to find something else to be offended about, my male feminist friend, I'm right here :o

Femininity and masculinity are perfectly good qualities, except with feminism what is good is promoted as bad and what's bad is promoted as good.
    Feminism equally attacks any woman who is strong enough to be feminine these days, and see's her as just as much of a threat.

I was the kid who read a book at lunch, it's why I study Law and Economics instead of being a mechanic. But I have absolutely no qualms about admitting that the people who played sports at lunch were more masculine than me when I was a child, only someone insecure would deny that.

No, the issue is trying to shame men for being proud of their masculinity since people like you will complain about it being rude and makes the effeminate man uncomfortable.

If you want to promote one idea over another it means that you believe that idea is better.

Let's try and meet halfway. There is a stereotypical idea of masculinity. People who plays sports, are firemen etc meet those ideas. I'll agree that those people are stereotypically more manly.

The issue I have is whether that idea is accurate. When you start imposing those ideas you are imposing unnecessary standards. Just let people be who they are without bringing out some archaic ideal.

Don't promote one particular view of men over another. That's the kind of thing that gives teenagers mental health issues.

Feminism equally attacks any woman who is strong enough to be feminine these days, and see's her as just as much of a threat.

I might not like Thatcher, but she's the poster child for feminism, even if she was cutthroat.

Most of the modern feminists you see nowadays are the kind of people who avoid showering and shaving their armpits because it empowers them by physically repelling men and making them impervious to the threat of rape. :(

Jawgap wrote: »
    Jaysus, things were a lot quieter and simpler before we had all this current form of "Movember" and International Men's Day.....

......now it's an annual feast of navel contemplation about men, masculinity and what it all means.

Hopefully, it'll get back to having a bit of craic while raising money and awareness of men's health, with less of the existentialism!!

I hate movember so much. Not that prostate cancer isn't a great cause. It's just that I can't stand moustaches. If I grew one I'd look like a fcuking idiot. I can grow a pretty good beard but the moustache by itself would look horrible. If you don't participate you're considered a spoilsport.

I have no problem looking like an idiot but I don't want to do it for a whole month.

Most of the modern feminists you see nowadays are the kind of people who avoid showering and shaving their armpits because it empowers them

Except when they meet a guy they like, then all of a sudden it's back to hygiene and rationality and presentability and all the other horrible expectations that society imposes on people.

If you want to promote one idea over another it means that you believe that idea is better.

Because it simply is better for men to be masculine. They're more likely to have stable, successful careers for one. They're more likely to attract partners as a second.
    Let's try and meet halfway. There is a stereotypical idea of masculinity. People who plays sports, are firemen etc meet those ideas. I'll agree that those people are stereotypically more manly.

The issue I have is whether that idea is accurate. When you start imposing those ideas you are imposing unnecessary standards. Just let people be who they are without bringing out some archaic ideal.

Don't promote one particular view of men over another. That's the kind of thing that gives teenagers mental health issues.

It is accurate though. There's exceptions, but that doesn't mean that the entire claim is thus inaccurate.

That sounds great and all, but it doesn't work in the real world, because the real world doesn't care about how you feel about masculinity. The world isn't culturally relativistic. Some things work and some things don't, that's just the practicality of life.

Except when they meet a guy they like, then all of a sudden it's back to hygiene and rationality and presentability and all the other horrible expectations that society imposes on people.

There's just one solution. We must destroy society so nobody will ever have to shave again.

I hate movember so much. Not that prostate cancer isn't a great cause. It's just that I can't stand moustaches. If I grew one I'd look like a fcuking idiot. I can grow a pretty good beard but the moustache by itself would look horrible. If you don't participate you're considered a spoilsport.

I have no problem looking like an idiot but I don't want to do it for a whole month.

When I grow a moustache, I have to avoid swimming pools, cinemas (until after like 10pm) and can't buy bags of haribo in Supervalu :(

• Advertisement

Blindboy from the Rubberbandits....

The chap is analgous to Sinn Fein, trying to get the moron vote.

One of his favourite speels is that none of his friends or people his age are homeowners or in a position to buy or realistically hoping to buy.

He's 30 odd so he's either talking through his hoop or hangs around with wasters, and he's too much of a knob to hang around with wasters so it's the former. Talking through your hoop is a polite way of saying he's a lying cnut.
    could it be that our friend with the bag over his head views it as commercially advantageous .......

100%, all he's doing is pocket lining, his own.

And yet feminism imposes the warped idea that women should be more masculine and that femininity is somehow weak.
    Masculinity in males and femininity in females, according to feminism is wrong and must be reversed and twisted at all costs.
    Ironically, it take a brave independent and strong willed women to be feminine in the face of the femminazi's these days and to see their crap for what it is.

Do I 'need' feminism? Not really :)

I did Movember one year, and that was enough for my wife, since then she has forbid the return of any facial fungus......

Do I 'need' feminism? Not really :)

I did Movember one year, and that was enough for my wife, since then she has forbid the return of any facial fungus......

facial fungus ? . . you're well pussy whipped aren't ya ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Grayson View Post

Just say no. One of the things I love about my OH who is very traditionally masculine is his easy refusal to be cajoled, teased, railroaded or bullied into doing anything that he's not happy about. I am exactly the same, I am female but we share that. It's a form of inner strength to be able to say no, and f**k whether people like it or tease you or not. They can grow their 'taches without your supportive copying of them (or having to keep it for full month).
    I would donate money to the cause if it was one I supported. I'd let them know that and explain why I didn't want to participate for the month and if they still think you're a spoilsport..again..f**k 'em...maybe their lack of understanding is saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yep, that's what it's come to, prime time on Irish television, a guy wearing a plastic bag as a mask, given a platform to advise young people on what they should do, and the media establishment expecting us to take them and the his message seriously . . . .this is one twisted country.

Of course he is taken seriously. He could cover himself in horseshite and walk on naked and his message would still be applauded because it's on point. It fits the current feminized societal narrative. Yet if someone went on TLLS and said they voted for Trump.. they'd be laughed at. No, sniggered at.

People need to seriously wake up to the negative effect third wave feminism has had (and is very much having) on society. When a moron from Limerick can go on the fcuking Late Late with a plastic bag stuck to his face and say that men need feminism in their lives and if they had it maybe they wouldn't be killing themselves, and instead of getting booed for it, gets applauded and seen as being enlightened....it really just shows you how endemic feminist dogma and propaganda is.

I have to say though, that I blame men just as much as I blame women for allowing this to happen. Men have enabled these feminists shape western society just as much as other women have. These idiots put women on a pedestal in the hope of being seen to be virtuous and it has worked for them. Ironically most have done it under the guise of being against sexism even though their very actions were, and are, extremely sexist.

A documentary was made recently which deals with the negative effects third wave feminism has on males in western society. It was made by a staunch feminist Cassie Jaye and she now no longer identifies as a feminist given the treatment she has received by the feminist movement in reaction to the documentary. Her documentary has been banned in many places and one of the Michael Moore (that great bastion of free speech and tolerance) refused to allow the documentary to be shown at his film festival which is a festival which he has specifically set up for female film makers... guess one of the conditions must be that they stick to the narrative.

Amazing isn't it that the very movement that suggests they are about tolerance and rights do not see the hypocrisy in their own actions when they actively try to silence others from expressing opposing viewpoints. As they said: misery loves company but it sure hates competition.

Great, but quite long, interview with the director Cassie Jaye here where she discusses many of the issues she encountered:

She says I'm not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

That was a great song "pussy whpiped" some kind of heavy metal I believe :D

Her documentary has been banned in many places and one of the Michael Moore (that great bastion of free speech and tolerance) refused to allow the documentary to be shown at his film festival which is a festival which he has specifically set up for female film makers...

Hypocritical doesn't even begin to describe it. Moore's biggest accolades were built on cracking open the supposedly normal and investigating its innards. And he robs a woman of an opportunity to do the exact same thing. Wouldn't even air it and let the viewers discuss it.

I hate that so much, and it encapsulates what is wrong with the left-wing media. Instead of engaging in discourse, a lot of the time it's:

a. slap a label with an -ist or -ic suffix on someone and shout down any rebuttals

or

b. engage in total censorship.

Michael Moore can piss off.

• Advertisement

She says I'm not :D

I'm not sure if the irony was deliberate or not.

Advertisement