Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honestly how amazing is it that we have fluent English?

Options
  • 17-11-2016 1:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭

It's unreal tbh, while in some sense Id like if we spoke Irish, the fact that we are fluent at English is amazing.
    God bless the Anglosphere seriously, anyone who has lived on European mainland knows we are about as European as kangaroos, it's weird that we can feel way more at home in a place thousands of miles away than we would in a European city a couple of hours away by flight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Shouldn't that be "Honestly, how amazing is it that we have fluent English?"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Man, like look at my hands man, their like, like hands, cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

It's so amazing I have to calm myself down every night before I sleep.....I pat my back and say " there they're their.....you are fluent in English but it's time to sleep"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

One of the most amazing facets of being fluent in a language, any language is your ability to craft it in anyway you wish, that is what make someone fluent. The complete and utter 'dominio' is something that a foreign speaker of whatever language will always struggle to contend with. They did a study years back about the complexity of the speech of African Americans living in ghettos, it showed that their speech was more complex than higher classes. As anyone can attest who has learned a foreign language, you aren't really fluent until you can understand the language of the steee, something that takes a long long time.
    Has anyone heard mainland Europeans these days? Their English is so good but they can never compete with a native speaker, it will always sound phony or stilted and lacking in authenticy that we in Ireland have. It's cooler for us because it's very probable that today we may not have had English as our primary language, a blessing and a curse I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Spend half an hour on Facebook and then tell me that the Irish people are fluent in English.

Half the population it seems can't spell words like "this" and "that"... Instead you get "dis nd dat"

Honestly if you're one of those people who spells "and" as "nd" I sincerely hope you die of a flesh eating disease...slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I find it more amazing that we spend 8 years of primary and 5 of secondary school learning Irish daily and yet 'most' of us leave without being able to hold a basic conversation in it. Something ain't working somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I do be doing well speaking the lingo.

Spend half an hour on Facebook and then tell me that the Irish people are fluent in English.

Half the population it seems can't spell words like "this" and "that"... Instead you get "dis nd dat"

Honestly of you're one of those people who spells "and" as "nd" I sincerely hope you die of a flesh eating disease...slowly.
    I am of the school of thought that language is something that evolves and changes, we don't have the equivalent to Spanish and French who have a central body that reviews the language and decides on what is and not acceptable. Fluent Speakers can mould the language any way they wish and still convey their point and be understood on context, a foreign speaker doesn't have the mental dexterity to mould and adapt to a language. The very fact they write in such a way shows just how fluent they are. The very fact we can react to bad grammar without it impeding our understanding is a testament to our dominance over it. You can't teach that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Honestly of you're one of those people who spells "and" as "nd".

My sister has a friend who is a secondary school English teacher.... and she uses text spk in messages. I just can't get my head around that at all!

I think that is incredible that we are so good at a particular language, we can literally write **** and still understand each other. We don't think about simply speaking a language as being good at it, but ultimately that is its function; to communicate. The use of "txt wb" achieves this, unless you are autistic or some ****,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Honestly of you're one of those people who spells "and" as "nd" I sincerely hope you die of a flesh eating disease...slowly.

"Honestly *if* you're one of those".... fixed it for you. ;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

BabyE wrote: »
    It's unreal tbh, while in some sense Id like if we spoke Irish, the fact that we are fluent at English is amazing.
    God bless the Anglosphere seriously, anyone who has lived on European mainland knows we are about as European as kangaroos, it's weird that we can feel way more at home in a place thousands of miles away than we would in a European city a couple of hours away by flight.

Well speak for yourself there, there's plenty of us doing well on the mainland.

I don't doubt it man, fact is though once you get past Brittany, the continent becomes strange as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

nhunter100 wrote: »
    "Honestly *if* you're one of those".... fixed it for you. ;-)

I'm just gonna blame the terrible text prediction tool my phone uses on that one :pac:

And also I'm gonna ninja edit that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If the language hadn't been killed by colonialism we'd probably speak English fluently as a second language.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

As someone who travels a lot around Europe it's hugely beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

You're from a country where the vast majority of the population speak English as their main/only language and you find it amazing that you're able to speak English fluently?
    Freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

You're from a country where the vast majority of the population speak English as their main/only language and you find it amazing that you're able to speak English fluently?
    Freak.

Yeah, I think you might be missing the OP's point a bit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I don't doubt it man, fact is though once you get past Brittany, the continent becomes strange as ****.

Yes, too many furriners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's a disgrace that we don't have a second or third language like most of our Danish, Swedish, Italian, Spanish, French and German neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Feel entirely European fyi OP, if we spoke Irish as our principal language we'd still speak English for commercial reasons much like they do in the Benelux or Nordic countries, it's a piddling little kiddies nursery rhyme of a tongue so knowing it or learning it isn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I am of the school of thought that language is something that evolves and changes, we don't have the equivalent to Spanish and French who have a central body that reviews the language and decides on what is and not acceptable. Fluent Speakers can mould the language any way they wish and still convey their point and be understood on context, a foreign speaker doesn't have the mental dexterity to mould and adapt to a language. The very fact they write in such a way shows just how fluent they are. The very fact we can react to bad grammar without it impeding our understanding is a testament to our dominance over it. You can't teach that.

This is sort of true. The more text speak in a Spanish sentence, the less I can understand it but a native speaker can always understand it. They know the language well enough that mistakes and abbreviations are obvious to them, whereas I don't understand them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

RasTa wrote: »
    It's a disgrace that we don't have a second or third language like most of our Danish, Swedish, Italian, Spanish, French and German neighbours.

Ah yeh but their second language is usually English so why do we need to learn anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Honestly if you're one of those people who spells "and" as "nd" I sincerely hope you die of a flesh eating disease...slowly.

In fairness though, such spellings would affect accuracy, but not fluency, unless they render the text difficult to understand. But if they do affect comprehension, then fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

Would e a very good and readable post if you put in paragraphs.

Wall of text is a no no .....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Would e a very good and readable post if you put in paragraphs.

Wall of text is a no no .....

Have our attention spans become so diminished that four lines counts as "a wall of text!?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

How amazing is it that most Europeans are fluent in at least three languages and we can't speak anything except English?

Not only amazing, deadly dangerous. We're going to need to trade with Europe more as Britain and the US close themselves off; we badly need to get our national thumb out and start becoming fluent - really fluent - in other European languages and in Chinese and Japanese, and a bit of Hindi wouldn't hurt either.

We do have one advantage: having learned Irish from an early age (and most people who claim to have no Irish at all after years of schooling surprise themselves by how much they know if they go and take a couple of adult classes) - having learned Irish since we were sprogs, we're already mentally well prepared for the different thought processes used by different languages; for instance the French use "c'est" like Irish uses "is" and "il est" like Irish uses "tá". So it's actually easier for us to learn languages if we put our heart into it.

Incidentally, see how long "English for commercial reasons" lasts after Brexit and the American self-hugging insularisation.
    One of the most amazing facets of being fluent in a language, any language is your ability to craft it in anyway you wish, that is what make someone fluent. The complete and utter 'dominio' is something that a foreign speaker of whatever language will always struggle to contend with.

Yeah, poor old Nabokov and Beckett, they struggled ;)

maudgonner wrote: »
    Freak.

Yeah, I think you might be missing the OP's point a bit there.
    Freak.

God love you. You'll find a cure one day.

• Advertisement

Is this thread an entry for the Most Stupid Bloody Thread Ever Anywhere Award?

Advertisement