Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Sin smaoineamh maith!
    Not fluent myself, but I've gone back to classes since school a few times to try keep it in my head. Looking forward to seeing what I understand next week already!

GRMA V, tá cúrsa nó dhó déanta agamsa chomh maith. Beidh searmánas bhronnadh (graduation ceremony) agam i gceann seachtain go leith.
    Is breá liom go labhraíonn tú Gaeilge. Tá tú an-spreagúil!
    Iontach!

GRMA L, tá tú an-chineálta, ach níl mé cinnte faoi "an-spreagúil" :)

Tá fíorbhrón orm faoi Manchester, ach táim ag súil go mór leis an teacht aniar (comeback) i mBerlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

GRMA L, tá tú an-chineálta, ach níl mé cinnte faoi "an-spreagúil" :)

Tá fíorbhrón orm faoi Manchester, ach táim ag súil go mór leis an teacht aniar i mBerlin!

Fáilte!
    Tá brón orm. Tá cúpla focail Gaeilge agam ach is breá liom an teanga. (Hope I said that right!)

GRMA faoi Manchester, tá mo chroí briste ach beidh mé...ceart go leor!

Slán!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Cúpla seisiuin ansin - nuair a chonaic mé an 3x(2x10k) ar Strava cheap mé go raibh 60k déanta agat. ;)

Ceist - Seachtain na Gaeilge ag dul ar aghaidh
    ar feadh 15 lae - cad ‘tá ag dul síos?

(Maith dom an ‘makey up’ Gaeilge). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

This is really cool. For my shame I can't jump in as gaeilge.

Might see you there tomorrow, hoping to get in and spectate.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Cúpla seisiuin ansin - nuair a chonaic mé an 3x(2x10k) ar Strava cheap mé go raibh 60k déanta agat. ;)

Ceist - Seachtain na Gaeilge ag dul ar aghaidh
    ar feadh 15 lae - cad ‘tá ag dul síos?

(Maith dom an ‘makey up’ Gaeilge). :)

:D 2@10k, dar ndóigh :pac: ach bhí an seisiún sin deacair go leor!

Is níos mó mar tréimhse (period of time) é SnaG :pac:
    N'fheadar faoi na himeachtaí eile - níor fhreastail mé ar (didn't attend) ceann ar bith.
    Lazare wrote: »
    This is really cool. For my shame I can't jump in as gaeilge.

Might see you there tomorrow, hoping to get in and spectate.

Thanks C, glad you liked it! I'll have my red Liverpool FC hat on, somewhere out on the course. Although of course those of you racing will be far too focussed on your form, pacing etc to notice :pac:

• Advertisement

Fáilte!
    Tá brón orm. Tá cúpla focail Gaeilge agam ach is breá liom an teanga. (Hope I said that right!)

GRMA faoi Manchester, tá mo chroí briste ach beidh mé...ceart go leor!

Slán!

Ná bí buartha, tá caighdeán ard (high standard) agat! Is breá liom an Ghaeilge chomh maith, ach níl Gaeilge líofa agam. Bhí deis agam cúrsa a dhéanamh ceithre bliana ó shin, agus bhí sé mar athbheochán (revival) éigin isteach ionam. Bhí suim mhór agam sa teanga agus mé sa mheánscoil, ach mar gach éinne eile ag an am, bhí gráin agam ar an leabhair "Peig" :D

Is mór an trua faoin maratón. Ach tá súil agam go mbeidh neart deá-scéala fós le teacht :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’m enjoying reading the Gaeilge and trying to understand it. Wouldn’t be able to reply back to any of it. Good luck this morning.

Thanks K, glad you liked it. Like I say, don't be afraid to ask if you're not sure :)

D'Ireland Run - Week 15 of 18

After a week of running related musings as Gaeilge, both here and on Strava, I'm back writing in English again :rolleyes: :pac:

Mon 18/3 - 4.95 miles@7:54/mi

Running on a Monday??!! What? Actually, this suited me down to the ground. After pulling the plug on yesterday's LR, I had planned something this morning to make up the shortfall. As it turned out, one of the lads had sent out a message on the WhatsApp looking for a bit of early pre-stewarding running company, so I was only too happy to oblige, along with one other.

It was basically the "traditional" MSB 8 AM Sunday loop, except we cut it a tiny bit short, by going straight from the top of the Khyber towards the Phoenix roundabout. We kept a nice pace going, and apart from the second half of the Khyber, the three of us were reasonably comfortable, picking up the pace in the closing mile (7:25) back up Chesterfield to Castleknock Gate.

With my few miles in the bag, I drove home for a quick shower and change of clothes, before making my way into town for my stewarding stint. I was positioned on the corner of Merrion Row and Pembroke Street, roughly half a mile from the start/finish. Apart from one or two cranky residents pre race (one of whom was moaning at me as skyblue passed on his warmup :pac:), the event itself passed off fairly smoothly. I was able to spot a number of familiar faces, both Boardsie and non, and I thought I was quite enthusiastic in my support :D

However, on arriving in the Round Room, I got a reprimand from aquinn :pac: as she didn't get a roar from me (plus I gave mister paul a shout on the way back) With such numbers, it was very hard to spot everyone, particularly on the way out. In any event, I could never hope to match A's standard of supporting! Nice to chat to the newlyweds, as well as skyblue, laura_ac3, and others - seemingly there were a few more from here that I missed. Our ladies won the club team prize, and in fact one of them won two team prizes, as her employers won the corporate team prize :D A very enjoyable day's work.

Next

The K Club race this Saturday is still on my to do list, although there's a lot of family stuff on that day, so I may yet have to let it slide. Assuming that I'm going, I'm thinking of rejigging things this week. In other words, one session on Wednesday, rather than the Tuesday/Thursday hills/long tempos of recent weeks. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

If I'm racing in a Saturday I'm usually doing a session on Tuesday, easy on Wednesday and Thursday. Rest or shakeout Friday. Race Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well impressed with your report as Gaeilge. I'm surprised how much I understood but I did wonder who the poor man in Porterstown was until I remembered the difference between 'fear' and 'féar'!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Ná bí buartha, tá caighdeán ard (high standard) agat! Is breá liom an Ghaeilge chomh maith, ach níl Gaeilge líofa agam. Bhí deis agam cúrsa a dhéanamh ceithre bliana ó shin, agus bhí sé mar athbheochán (revival) éigin isteach ionam. Bhí suim mhór agam sa teanga agus mé sa mheánscoil, ach mar gach éinne eile ag an am, bhí gráin agam ar an leabhair "Peig" :D

Is mór an trua faoin maratón. Ach tá súil agam go mbeidh neart deá-scéala fós le teacht :)

Sin é iontach. Tá tú an mhaith. Chuala mé faoi Peig ó mo cairde! Ha!
    Is maith liom ag caint as Gaeilge. Tá mo bhuachaillí go dtí an Gaelscoil agus tá siad an mhaith ag caint as Gaeilge. Tá siad ag caint diom "ban triail as mamaí!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Really enjoyed reading your posts on Strava during the week and now the longer update here - and actually being able to understand more than I expected!
    Great day yesterday - thank you to you and your clubmates!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best if you in the morning J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have fun in the salubrious surroundings of the K club. Enjoy the spread! (and the race).

Sub 43 in the bag. I'll update the log properly tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

And well sub 43 J, great stuff. I hope the course is accurate for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great result J, well done. It's all coming good for you, testament to some consistent training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Comhghairdeas!!!!!! Look forward to the report, provided it's As Bearla though! Great to see so many posts As Gaeilge but unfortunately, as it's been 150 years since I was in school I can't contribute!!

p.s. I still think you should ditch the GIR for the Dunboyne 10K :pac:

If I'm racing in a Saturday I'm usually doing a session on Tuesday, easy on Wednesday and Thursday. Rest or shakeout Friday. Race Saturday.

Thanks P, sounds like a good plan, but I wasn't able to quite match it this time.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Well impressed with your report as Gaeilge. I'm surprised how much I understood but I did wonder who the poor man in Porterstown was until I remembered the difference between 'fear' and 'féar'!!

That poor man was me :pac: I just didn't explicitly state it in the notes :D

Yes there's a good few like that in the Irish language, where the presence or absence of a síneadh fada can make all the difference :)
    Sin é iontach. Tá tú an mhaith. Chuala mé faoi Peig ó mo cairde! Ha!

Is maith liom ag caint as Gaeilge. Tá mo bhuachaillí go dtí an Gaelscoil agus tá siad an mhaith ag caint as Gaeilge. Tá siad ag caint diom "ban triail as mamaí!".

Bhí an t-ádh dearg leat :D Young people today have it so easy, not having to read through Peig as part of their Irish language studies :pac:
    eyrie wrote: »
    Really enjoyed reading your posts on Strava during the week and now the longer update here - and actually being able to understand more than I expected!

Great day yesterday - thank you to you and your clubmates!

Thanks C, glad you enjoyed them :D and yes, it was also very pleasing for us that our race went well, especially after last year's cancellation. Sorry I missed you afterwards - I was floating around for quite a while, but rarely in the one place for too long :pac:

D'Ireland Run - Week 15 of 18 (continued)

Tue 19/3 - Rest

Wed 20/3 - Club session, Morton Stadium

Running on Monday skewed things a tiny bit at the start of the week. After three days in a row, including a very tough session on Saturday, I felt that resting might be better on Tuesday. Which brings us up to tonight. I decided that shorter reps with company might be better than a long solo tempo on the Porterstown grass or in Laurel Lodge (2E / 3@10k /1E).

Myself and the other early arrivals went into Ultrawoman Park for a quick lap (no sign of A unfortunately), while waiting for an earlier group to finish on the track. Few laps of the track when we got back, and then it was time for the session itself.

This was a new one for me - 6 x 600 (200m rec). We'd jog the first 200, and then go for 600, before turning around and going again more or less straight away. Big group around my standard. My plan was to be consistent throughout, with good form, not flailing. I won't go into details of each, but in general I ran from the front or near it, except on rep 5 where I consciously kept behind until the last 100. Final 100 in the last rep, I got tired and was passed by a few, as I went out too hard in the second 200 on the windy back straight (the finishing straight in races - we started and finished in the Clonliffe corner).

2:21/2:19/2:21/2:21/2:19/2:21. Delighted with those - consistent times, and I didn't feel like I was flat out - in fact the first 200 always felt ridiculously slow. Few cooldown laps and stretches to finish off. My first one of these sessions since early November (had to thumb back through the log to confirm that!) so being able to nail that one was all the more pleasing.

Thu 21/3 - 5.92 miles@9:05/mi

Carpenterstown recovery. Legs felt fine all day, except they were really tired at the end of this. Hmmm. Not like I went too fast tonight or anything :rolleyes:

Fri 22/3 - Rest

I thought I might have a chance for a pre race shakeout, but family stuff later on meant it wasn't realistic. While out walking past the Ashling Hotel after work, I bumped into Annie Get Your Run, on the runmute part of her journey home. Nice to catch up, although I won't be ditching the GIR for the Dunboyne 10k :D

Sat 23/3 - BHAA K Club 10k, Straffan, Co. Kildare

Lovely sunny morning, as I made my way over to race HQ, arriving with over an hour to spare. It wasn't a goal race, but I did feel like I needed to banish the memories of last year's horror show. The only 10k I had raced since that one (45:47) was a hilly 10k in Garristown last May (45:56). In other words, neither of these provided a reliable guide to where I stood in terms of the GIR. Today's race would give me that, or so I hoped.

After a 2 mile warmup with my clubmates, I got a few stretches and strides in, before lining up almost back at the clubhouse, while the organisers tried to get people to line up back behind the van. This took quite a while, before the chequered flag was dropped, and we were away.

Out

Down the hill, and left at the roundabout around the back of the car park. Quite narrow through here, and between that and the fact that I started the race light years back from where I should have been, I was practically at walking pace until we exited the grounds and turned right. Along here I saw one or two instances of "HTFU" painted on the road - a Boardsie at work? A few more gaps opened up subsequently, and I made up a lot of places before we reached the start of the loops section, before 2k.

Loop 1

The trick here was, I thought, not to go out too hard and end up overcompensating for such a slow opening kilometre (at least 5:30!!) I caught up to Martin approaching 3k in, and tried to bring him with me, but nothing doing on that front. Left around the next part of the triangle, and slightly downhill, past the water station, and left again at 4k. Just ahead of me, somebody's Garmin beeped 17:25. I worked it out "ok so that's 4:21/km, 43:30 pace". In other words, too slow. Keep moving, through a group of five including my old marathon buddy Bill B, and on to the next group. At the halfway mark, unlike last year, I was feeling good and in no mood to pull the plug.

Loop 2

Following a group of three at the start of the second loop, and also catching others who were falling back after going out too hard too early. Caught up to Michael from UB around the 6k mark, and after this for some reason I started to ease off a bit, even though I wasn't in any pain. WAKE UP! COME ON!! Left again, lengthening the stride on the gentle downhill, and passing the water station again. The roads were not fully closed for this race, and on this narrow country lane, a guy driving a jeep nearly took out Terry Clarke and some other guy, who were just behind me at that point (nearly 7k). Meanwhile, I'm still progressing through the pack, past the "GO GORILLA" painted on the ground, and left at the fork through 8k. I'd caught the group of three from earlier, but then I was passed by a man in an orange Bray runners top, who I'd passed on the way out of the grounds. I'd no idea he was tracking me all that way. The one person who passed me in the whole race :rolleyes:

In

"BEAST MODE" was painted on the road, just before we turned right and headed back towards the finish. Funny, even at this stage I was thinking "yeah, whatever". Heading back towards the K Club, I could see Ian and the other BG (from Cru) in the distance, and I was thinking if I went flat out I might catch them. I did make up another five or six places, including two in the grounds. Down the hill, left around the roundabout. I could see 42 on the clock. Back up the hill through the finish, and I let out a roar as I crossed. PB, by half a minute! Thanks for all your good wishes and kind words.

Time: 42:49
    Position: 204/490 (22/35 M45)

Had a chat with Mr Skinny at the finish, before a quick cooldown with Tom F, and back in for grub. In relation to the course being short, I started so far back from the line, and it took me so long to cross, that I'm still going to take this one. BHAA races are gun time only. Great to have a reasonable marker for the GIR at any rate. Presuming I take up my "proper" starting position, and training goes well in the meantime, I see no reason for that PB to last any longer than three weeks (ok, 22 days, for any pedants out there :D) Overall, plenty of reasons to be cheerful on the drive back to D15 :D

Sun 24/3 - 7.08 miles@8:05/mi

Meeting the MSBers at Castleknock Gate, I decided to just play this one by ear, rather than just slipping off the back after a mile or two like a lot of the time. Luckily, there were plenty of "slower" runners out this morning, so staying with the group was in the main relatively comfortable, considering I'd a 10k race in the legs from the day before. The Munich hills and the windy Acres section took a good bit out of me though, so I decided to turn left rather than right when we got back to Chesterfield Avenue. This meant a seven mile stint, rather than the full ten. Probably for the best, as my legs were fairly tired by the time we got back to Castleknock Gate. 33 miles or thereabouts for the week. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done J - that’s a very well run race you described there. Congrats on the PB!

7 @ 8:05 the next day though? Watch yourself! Quite a week with the track session as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great week and well done yesterday J; shaping up nicely for summer.

I did spot you talking to Tom F afterwards; I was chatting to one of the lads and when I turned around you had gone.

C
    Thanks P, sounds like a good plan, but I wasn't able to quite match it this time.

That poor man was me :pac: I just didn't explicitly state it in the notes :D

Yes there's a good few like that in the Irish language, where the presence or absence of a síneadh fada can make all the difference :)

Bhí an t-ádh dearg leat :D Young people today have it so easy, not having to read through Peig as part of their Irish language studies :pac:

Thanks C, glad you enjoyed them :D and yes, it was also very pleasing for us that our race went well, especially after last year's cancellation. Sorry I missed you afterwards - I was floating around for quite a while, but rarely in the one place for too long :pac:

D'Ireland Run - Week 15 of 18 (continued)

Tue 19/3 - Rest

Wed 20/3 - Club session, Morton Stadium

Running on Monday skewed things a tiny bit at the start of the week. After three days in a row, including a very tough session on Saturday, I felt that resting might be better on Tuesday. Which brings us up to tonight. I decided that shorter reps with company might be better than a long solo tempo on the Porterstown grass or in Laurel Lodge (2E / 3@10k /1E).

Myself and the other early arrivals went into Ultrawoman Park for a quick lap (no sign of A unfortunately), while waiting for an earlier group to finish on the track. Few laps of the track when we got back, and then it was time for the session itself.

This was a new one for me - 6 x 600 (200m rec). We'd jog the first 200, and then go for 600, before turning around and going again more or less straight away. Big group around my standard. My plan was to be consistent throughout, with good form, not flailing. I won't go into details of each, but in general I ran from the front or near it, except on rep 5 where I consciously kept behind until the last 100. Final 100 in the last rep, I got tired and was passed by a few, as I went out too hard in the second 200 on the windy back straight (the finishing straight in races - we started and finished in the Clonliffe corner).

2:21/2:19/2:21/2:21/2:19/2:21. Delighted with those - consistent times, and I didn't feel like I was flat out - in fact the first 200 always felt ridiculously slow. Few cooldown laps and stretches to finish off. My first one of these sessions since early November (had to thumb back through the log to confirm that!) so being able to nail that one was all the more pleasing.

Thu 21/3 - 5.92 miles@9:05/mi

Carpenterstown recovery. Legs felt fine all day, except they were really tired at the end of this. Hmmm. Not like I went too fast tonight or anything :rolleyes:

Fri 22/3 - Rest

I thought I might have a chance for a pre race shakeout, but family stuff later on meant it wasn't realistic. While out walking past the Ashling Hotel after work, I bumped into Annie Get Your Run, on the runmute part of her journey home. Nice to catch up, although I won't be ditching the GIR for the Dunboyne 10k :D

Sat 23/3 - BHAA K Club 10k, Straffan, Co. Kildare

Lovely sunny morning, as I made my way over to race HQ, arriving with over an hour to spare. It wasn't a goal race, but I did feel like I needed to banish the memories of last year's horror show. The only 10k I had raced since that one (45:47) was a hilly 10k in Garristown last May (45:56). In other words, neither of these provided a reliable guide to where I stood in terms of the GIR. Today's race would give me that, or so I hoped.

After a 2 mile warmup with my clubmates, I got a few stretches and strides in, before lining up almost back at the clubhouse, while the organisers tried to get people to line up back behind the van. This took quite a while, before the chequered flag was dropped, and we were away.

Out

Down the hill, and left at the roundabout around the back of the car park. Quite narrow through here, and between that and the fact that I started the race light years back from where I should have been, I was practically at walking pace until we exited the grounds and turned right. Along here I saw one or two instances of "HTFU" painted on the road - a Boardsie at work? A few more gaps opened up subsequently, and I made up a lot of places before we reached the start of the loops section, before 2k.

Loop 1

The trick here was, I thought, not to go out too hard and end up overcompensating for such a slow opening kilometre (at least 5:30!!) I caught up to Martin approaching 3k in, and tried to bring him with me, but nothing doing on that front. Left around the next part of the triangle, and slightly downhill, past the water station, and left again at 4k. Just ahead of me, somebody's Garmin beeped 17:25. I worked it out "ok so that's 4:21/km, 43:30 pace". In other words, too slow. Keep moving, through a group of five including my old marathon buddy Bill B, and on to the next group. At the halfway mark, unlike last year, I was feeling good and in no mood to pull the plug.

Loop 2

Following a group of three at the start of the second loop, and also catching others who were falling back after going out too hard too early. Caught up to Michael from UB around the 6k mark, and after this for some reason I started to ease off a bit, even though I wasn't in any pain. WAKE UP! COME ON!! Left again, lengthening the stride on the gentle downhill, and passing the water station again. The roads were not fully closed for this race, and on this narrow country lane, a guy driving a jeep nearly took out Terry Clarke and some other guy, who were just behind me at that point (nearly 7k). Meanwhile, I'm still progressing through the pack, past the "GO GORILLA" painted on the ground, and left at the fork through 8k. I'd caught the group of three from earlier, but then I was passed by a man in an orange Bray runners top, who I'd passed on the way out of the grounds. I'd no idea he was tracking me all that way. The one person who passed me in the whole race :rolleyes:

In

"BEAST MODE" was painted on the road, just before we turned right and headed back towards the finish. Funny, even at this stage I was thinking "yeah, whatever". Heading back towards the K Club, I could see Ian and the other BG (from Cru) in the distance, and I was thinking if I went flat out I might catch them. I did make up another five or six places, including two in the grounds. Down the hill, left around the roundabout. I could see 42 on the clock. Back up the hill through the finish, and I let out a roar as I crossed. PB, by half a minute! Thanks for all your good wishes and kind words.

Time: 42:49
    Position: 204/490 (22/35 M45)

Had a chat with Mr Skinny at the finish, before a quick cooldown with Tom F, and back in for grub. In relation to the course being short, I started so far back from the line, and it took me so long to cross, that I'm still going to take this one. BHAA races are gun time only. Great to have a reasonable marker for the GIR at any rate. Presuming I take up my "proper" starting position, and training goes well in the meantime, I see no reason for that PB to last any longer than three weeks (ok, 22 days, for any pedants out there :D) Overall, plenty of reasons to be cheerful on the drive back to D15 :D

Sun 24/3 - 7.08 miles@8:05/mi

Meeting the MSBers at Castleknock Gate, I decided to just play this one by ear, rather than just slipping off the back after a mile or two like a lot of the time. Luckily, there were plenty of "slower" runners out this morning, so staying with the group was in the main relatively comfortable, considering I'd a 10k race in the legs from the day before. The Munich hills and the windy Acres section took a good bit out of me though, so I decided to turn left rather than right when we got back to Chesterfield Avenue. This meant a seven mile stint, rather than the full ten. Probably for the best, as my legs were fairly tired by the time we got back to Castleknock Gate. 33 miles or thereabouts for the week. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Cracking run J and great PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done on the PB. I must say I thoroughly enjoy the course and race detail you put into your reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great stuff J. You have a knack for these descriptive race reports. Well done on a super pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great running J. Like Murph I don't know how you managed a fairly fast (and hilly in parts) 7 miles the next morning! Keep the momentum going, you're flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Super result that J, good look with training over the next 3 weeks and hopefully the form keeps up with it. Nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Another great report J and congrats on the PB!

I have my sights set on a similar 10k time to go one better from last year too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fantastic J, well done! Love the (deserved) confidence about the likely lifespan of the new PB too, lots to look forward to in three weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Ah, Peig. My Irish teacher decided she'd never teach it again after teaching it to my class :o

Congrats on the PB. Loved your race report. Looking forward to similar from GIR.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well done J - that’s a very well run race you described there. Congrats on the PB!

7 @ 8:05 the next day though? Watch yourself! Quite a week with the track session as well.

Thanks D, hard to tell whether it was leftover adrenalin keeping me going on Sunday, or just becoming more comfortable at that pace generally. Something to watch for in future nonetheless.
    Great week and well done yesterday J; shaping up nicely for summer.

I did spot you talking to Tom F afterwards; I was chatting to one of the lads and when I turned around you had gone.

C

Cheers C, I'm feeling a bit better about the coming months right enough. Some great stuff from Tom F lately too.
    Cracking run J and great PB!

Thanks A, you're knocking out some great sessions, the race times are going to plummet too.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Well done on the PB. I must say I thoroughly enjoy the course and race detail you put into your reports.
    Great stuff J. You have a knack for these descriptive race reports. Well done on a super pb.

Thanks lads, that was my fourth time to run the K Club race, so I've practically the entire course pictured in my head at this stage :D In general, maybe if I got more into the red in races, instead of being able to remember who I (was) passed (by) and when, results could be "even" better :D Anyhow, I like to try and paint a picture, especially on those days when things go well :pac:
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great running J. Like Murph I don't know how you managed a fairly fast (and hilly in parts) 7 miles the next morning! Keep the momentum going, you're flying.

Thanks S, yes for those of you who don't follow me on Strava, the Munich hills were not the only ones we took on. There was the very short but steep hill coming out of the Furry Glen, as well as the trail around the back of St Mary's Hospital. Usually I'm blowing out my a*$€ after going up just one of those.
    diego_b wrote: »
    Super result that J, good look with training over the next 3 weeks and hopefully the form keeps up with it. Nice work.

Thanks D, some top results yourself lately.
    coogy wrote: »
    Another great report J and congrats on the PB!

I have my sights set on a similar 10k time to go one better from last year too!

Thanks K, with a HM PB of 1:35, I'd say you're setting the bar too low for yourself if you're targeting a 42:xx 10k time. Either way, lots more improvement to come!
    eyrie wrote: »
    Fantastic J, well done! Love the (deserved) confidence about the likely lifespan of the new PB too, lots to look forward to in three weeks time.

Thanks C, and I'm sticking to it :pac:
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Ah, Peig. My Irish teacher decided she'd never teach it again after teaching it to my class :o

Congrats on the PB. Loved your race report. Looking forward to similar from GIR.

Fair play E, glad you enjoyed reading! I barely had the patience to read through Peig fadó fadó, and as for teaching in general :eek:

D'Ireland Run - Week 16 of 18 - Seachtain na Gaeilge (Slight Return)

Thanks again all, I wasn't expecting so much in the way of plaudits either here or on Strava. I certainly felt like I'd plenty more to give at the end. As the Conn HM plan has a three week taper factored in, I'm going to change it to two weeks, because of course I'm now racing 10k.

Mon 25/3 - Rest

Tue 26/3 - Nothing

Too much non running related stuff to take care of tonight. More due to my own lack of organisation. Never change, says he :rolleyes:

Dé Céadaoin 27/3 - Lá Bhronnadh (Graduation Day)

Más cuimhin libh (If ye remember), rinne mé staidéar ar chúrsa Gaeilge anuraidh. Bhain mé Gradam (Distinction) amach, agus tharla an searmánas inniu, mar cuid de tionól Gaeilge aon lae (one day Irish seminar). Táim breá sásta leis - bhain mé sár-taitneamh as an lá :D

I went for a run as well.

I got home shortly before 6, and had the choice of a session or an easy run. I chose the latter. Out around the Carpenterstown loop with me, and into Porterstown for two laps before it got dark. Where possible, I kept to the grass for those. Back to the Carpo loop for a second stint. People and dogs everywhere, taking advantage of the properly springlike weather. It was only making me feel more tired and cranky though.

6 miles@9:06/mi. The whiff off that! Desperate. Right from the start, I felt flat and devoid of energy. We've all had runs like it though. Good job I didn't try a session tonight!

Not sure what the rest of the week will bring - longish (310k - thanks D! ) tempo tomorrow probably, but Saturday and Sunday will I'd say be somewhat different from the "usual". No racing or parkrunning anyway.

Advertisement