Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Good luck J and enjoy the grad celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck on Friday and enjoy the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mind yourself if you are not feeling 100% and doing the Novices.

Congratulations and enjoy the Graduation.

All the very best with the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Congrats and best of luck J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks so much to all of you for your kind words. One of the harder weeks I've had to go through of late, both physically and mentally.

The Great Western Conn Job - Week 1 of 18

Most of you have probably forgotten that I signed up for the Connemarathon ages ago, but have since downgraded to the half.

I also found John O'Regan's specially tailored HM plan, but to be honest I didn't look at it at all this week.

You're also possibly thinking, is this such a big deal really, given I've already completed it? Short answer: Yes :) I want to beat my time from that day (1:40) and if I stick to the plan for any length of time, that will surely be a realistic proposition. Won't it?

Mon 10/12 - Thu 13/12

Not a chance to put in any mileage, with the main thing being my interview. I also had an Irish language exam on Wednesday - the culmination of a course which started in September - but especially as I wasn't up till after lunch, that turned out to be more a distraction than anything else.

Fri 14/12 - Perfect Storm

I won't bore ye with the minutiae here, but even though I put more time into preparing for this interview than any other, I still found it to be a very tough 40 minutes of grilling. That said, considering the level I was going for, I wasn't expecting smiles and chocolate, and having since spoken to someone else who did it, word on the street seems to be that nobody had it easy. It's unlikely that I'll find out before the holidays whether I got through or not.

Straight from there, through the wind, rain and Christmas shoppers, to my graduation ceremony in Dublin Castle. I really enjoyed this - a worthy culmination of the last two years of coddidge. Free food and wine afterwards, then out for a meal with my wife and parents, followed by more drink.

Sat 15/12 - National Novices XC, Navan

"Looks like we're in for nasty weather"

Bit of a woolly head on me on Saturday morning, which began with a marshalling stint at a very windy Porterstown parkrun. Just 40 hardy souls turned up, less than half our usual tally.

All the while, I was deliberating whether to actually travel to Navan, as Storm Deirdre was wreaking havoc around the country. Eventually I decided I'd go, but even then I was questioning my sanity, particularly on the M3, with surface water every other mile.

I arrived during the U-19G race, and sorted out my layers for a warmup lap. This was sloooow. Ground wasn't too bad around the outside, but I wasn't feeling it today, and even the U-19B tailenders looked like they were flying compared to anything I would be capable of doing. I watched the start and the finish of the Novice Women race, before ditching the last of my creature comforts.

Massive crowd for our race. I stayed out at the back with the Waterstown Warriors while we were waiting to be called forward. No starting gun, more like 3, 2, 1, GO! and we were off up the hill to the highest point on the course. Downhill for about 150m then around a U-bend. At this point I got passed by RayCun, taking sandbagging to a new level. I gave out to him for hanging back with us :D Off he went then - I made no attempt to follow.

While the midfield looked particularly packed, the tailenders were dropped fairly quickly. The course was very heavy in parts, particularly at the bottom at the end of the long downhill straight. Very twisty mid section, nearly sent backwards coming downhill from beside the racecourse, and uphill to finish the lap, the wind and rain lashing into our faces. Approaching the top of the hill to start Lap 2, I was already in major difficulty, and seriously thinking of stepping off. I think I got a shout from ReeReeG somewhere around here - I didn't catch her before her own race, and only found out afterwards that she had a DNF.

The downhill was badly needed. I was slowly gaining on one of the Waterstown Warriors, and occasionally behind me I could see two Cru, Richie from the Warriors, and one or two others I didn't recognise. This was incredibly tough - even trying to extend my stride on the downhill didn't seem like it was bringing much improvement. The commentator was sounding very animated, as the leaders were getting near the end. Would I be lapped? Was this what I came out for? I might sound over dramatic, and they could have been a lot further back than I thought, but it certainly sounded like they were close!

I caught the Warrior at the top of the hill to start Lap 3, but then at the end of the U-bend I got caught by one of the Cru. Try as I might, I couldn't quite hang on to him. There was a Tullamore Harrier visible in the distance, but realistically it was me and this fella. I felt like I was running on the spot at times, which wasn't how I envisioned the last lap :rolleyes: Coming around to the final hill, I made an early push in an attempt to close the gap, but he found another gear, while I felt like I was running through quicksand coming to the line. Finished 245/254, in just over 28 minutes - the Cru guy finished just behind me in the Leinster Novices, which FWIW we ran about two minutes faster. "See you in Dundalk" he said afterwards. That would be the National Masters XC at the start of February, just after I return from 10 days of eating and drinking till my belly's about to burst warm weather training in Orlando and the Caribbean. No cooldown lap for me; time to get some dryish clothes on and get out of there! Delighted I took it on all the same.

Sun 16/12 - 3.6 miles@8:35/mi

Nothing much to report here - an easy plod around Carpenterstown for the purpose of recovering from (a) the race, and (b) more food and drink for my brother's 40th last night.

Next

The club are having their annual XC handicap race next Sunday morning in Porterstown - a gruelling affair over 6 miles. I'll try and adhere to the plan to some extent next week. Not making a pig of myself with the endless amount of sweets going around the office would be a positive! Thanks for reading! J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

While the midfield looked particularly packed, the tailenders were dropped fairly quickly. The course was very heavy in parts, particularly at the bottom at the end of the long downhill straight. Very twisty mid section, nearly sent backwards coming downhill from beside the racecourse, and uphill to finish the lap, the wind and rain lashing into our faces. Approaching the top of the hill to start Lap 2, I was already in major difficulty, and seriously thinking of stepping off. I think I got a shout from ReeReeG somewhere around here - I didn't catch her before her own race, and only found out afterwards that she had a DNF.

Wasn't me I'm afraid, I headed off with my head down quite soon after the women's race...must be someone else in the Wubble Wubble fanclub 😉

Fair play for finishing, I hadn't a bit of "want" in me

Yikes, Saturday sounds like a brutal experience! Fair play for getting through it.
    Glad you enjoyed your night on Friday - well deserved!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Wasn't me I'm afraid, I headed off with my head down quite soon after the women's race...must be someone else in the Wubble Wubble fanclub ��

Fair play for finishing, I hadn't a bit of "want" in me

Sorry I missed you V. It was hard going for most of us out there. Like I mentioned above, I nearly did the same myself. The next race will be easier, trust me :)

Racking my brains as to the identity of the well wrapped up randomer :D I know a few who were running in the women's race on Saturday (no Boardsies AFAIK) but this was someone else :confused: perhaps my so called fame has travelled further than I imagined :pac:
    eyrie wrote: »
    Yikes, Saturday sounds like a brutal experience! Fair play for getting through it.
    Glad you enjoyed your night on Friday - well deserved!

Thanks C, like I say XC isn't for everyone, especially when it's as wet and windy as Saturday. Major contrast from the benign conditions on the same course at the end of October.

I made it my business to enjoy Friday night - I might not have another like it :pac:

Glad to see you're on the comeback trail, keep up the good work!

The Great Western Conn Job - Week 2 of 18

This week I actually exercised some adherence to the plan. Not easy this time of year. A nice session midweek, and a race too. Don't look so shocked :pac:

Mon 17/12 - Rest

Tue 18/12 - 6.49 miles@8:45/mi

Not really into this one at all. D15 isn't the most inspiring territory to run around at night, especially when you're constantly having to watch for cars, people, and dogs.

Wed 19/12 - 6.04 miles@8:30/mi

As per the JO'R plan, this called for 2E/2 x 10k pace/2E. I was dreading it. In the last five or six weeks, apart from a couple of races and parkruns, there's been little or no sessions or intervals to speak of.

It's roughly two miles from the house around the outside of Tír na nÓg to the end of Laurel Lodge, where it meets Castleknock Road. From there my "speedwork" would begin, back to one of the roundabouts roughly halfway to home, then turn around and back to the end of LL before shuffling home. I was gasping for air, particularly in the first of the two 10k pace miles, up the short drag to the Laurel Lodge shops, while all the time having to be aware of road crossings, people, animals etc. I had a footwear malfunction approaching the turnaround point, which cost me a fair bit of time. In spite of all this, 7:06 and 7:10 were none too shabby, considering how out of shape I am at the moment.

Thu 20/12 - No running

I didn't get the job. Disappointing to say the least, considering the amount of time I put into it over several months. However, I've got some other irons in the fire in the New Year, so we'll see what happens with those.

Got word before lunch, and so my wife suggested that we go for food and drink after work, instead of my planned recovery pace run. Can't say I deliberated too long over that one!

Fri 21/12 - "Rest"

Or maybe that should read "No running". Plenty of food and drink put away, in the course of my Christmas night out with work.

Sat 22/12 - 2.94 miles@8:13/mi

Flip side of Friday night's over indulgence was that instead of getting my miles in before parkrun volunteering, two laps of the Doyle Cup course had to wait until the afternoon instead.

Sun 23/12 - MSB Doyle Cup XC Handicap, Porterstown Park

There had been a fair bit of rain since my shuffle yesterday, and all through the morning it didn't stop. I was one of the first away, with serial contender GQ, and K, for many years our top lady athlete, easing her way back into running post-baby.

First lap was tough going, bit slippy on one or two corners, but I was hanging on to the lead, with K having almost taken a tumble coming off the bottom of the soccer pitch beside the car park. I didn't know how much of a head start we had on anyone else - these races are always hard to judge, especially for people like me who aren't used to leading. As we completed the first lap, I was still hanging on to the lead, and briefly I dared to dream :D

Start of Lap 2, and K decided she'd had enough of using me for a windshield, and decided to push on a bit. However, it wasn't long before we were caught by the winner, who left us behind rapidly - I guessed correctly that there was no chance of anyone else catching him. From here on, for me it was about trying not to let K get too far clear. Keep her in sight and there's a chance of a podium, I'm thinking. Not as easy as it sounds, especially when we don't normally run these distances (6 miles) in cross country.

I was tiring a lot on the last lap in particular, but I had to keep going, in case a speedster came flying by near the end. As it happened, one of our young international athletes was catching me rapidly, and only for a fall he would have been much closer. I was gaining on K near the end, but she probably could have increased her pace if she felt the need to do so. 3rd place for me, and nice to get a bit of recognition, having been the only male athlete in the club to run Dublin, Leinster or National Novice, let alone all three. I'd probably have entered Senior as well, if I was anywhere near the standard. Maybe some other time, who knows. Anyway, I enjoyed this race, a nice way to finish my XC racing for 2018.

Next

Some time ago (post-Irish Life XC) I had my heart set on the Clonliffe Christmas Cracker race next Sunday. However, since then, a combination of illness/life/laziness/seasonal overindulgence has put me in a position where I'm feeling too fat and unfit to seriously consider a hard, fast 5k.

Instead, I will be renewing my acquaintance with the Fat Turkey Run, in Sutton the morning after St. Stephen's Day. This won't be easy either, but I'll be under a lot less pressure to put in a fast time. Thanks for reading. Nollaig faoi mhaise daoibh. J.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A shame about the job. Have had a few of those 'we regret to inform you...' emails this past while.

Have a good one at the Fat Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats again - Its great to see you get the just desserts that you many XC exploits deserve - you were very strong today - I think this is the 1st year I didn't catch you and it was my fastest year - so major kudos to you.

A shame about the job. Have had a few of those 'we regret to inform you...' emails this past while.

Have a good one at the Fat Turkey.

It should come around again in another year or two, plus I've the experience of the one just gone under my belt..

We'll get to that one.. :pac:
    Congrats again - Its great to see you get the just desserts that you many XC exploits deserve - you were very strong today - I think this is the 1st year I didn't catch you and it was my fastest year - so major kudos to you.

Thanks A. My fastest time (41:48) in the Doyle Cup also - nearly 3 minutes faster than my hungover effort last year, and I was in the 44s in 2016 as well. Averaging sub-7 for that distance in XC is something for me to be happy with. Actually, it's the same pace (6:58) as my 10k PB on the road.

The Great Western Conn Job - Week 3 of 18

The first half at least is somewhat "off plan".

Christmas Eve - Rest

Christmas Day - Waterstown parkrun

Cold and foggy, but dry, and the sun was threatening to break through, as I made the hop across the Liffey for the third Christmas Day in a row. Unreal numbers for Waterstown - a record 325 - and fair play to them for putting this one on year after year. Plenty of familiar faces in attendance, both Boardsie and non, such as Murph_D, annapr, Bungy Girl, aquinn, mister paul and choons. I picked a spot "a few" rows back - with the numbers it took quite a while to shake out as we came down the hill. Not that I was too concerned. I got into a nice tempo of sorts, being passed by a GT5K top along the river on the first lap, and remaining a little bit behind him, while catching a man, who I'd been tracking for a good bit, wearing a blue Koln 2015 marathon top in the last kilometre. I passed a good few others in the course of this, and Koln passed me back towards the end of the "gentle incline", but that didn't upset me at all, so I chose not to engage in a sprint finish.

21:31 (a 20 second course PB), 34/325, 6th M45. An unexpected bonus was bumping into John O'Regan in the car park afterwards - JO'R was kind enough to give a few tips in relation to his plan.

St Stephen's Day - 5.42 miles including GOAL Mile, Porterstown Park

Beautiful sunny morning for this, my first time taking part in one of these events. I made sure to get down early, and get a few easy laps of the grass track done before the crowds arrived.

For those who have never done one, it's very different to what you may be used to. Loads of little kids tearing off and then stopping after 100m without warning :pac: and plenty of adults enjoying themselves. FWIW, my mile time was a too fast 7:28, considering my tempo run the day before, and race three days earlier. More importantly, lots of money was raised, and on a side note, finally I got 1000 miles on the board for 2018 :D

Thu 27/12 - Fat Turkey Run 10k, Sutton - DNS

I think I'm jinxed with this one. I was ready to have a shot at cracking a very weak 10k PB (43:19), and then late last night I felt a bug of some sort coming on.

This morning, it was much the same - intermittent coughing without any warning. Even so, I hopped into the car for the 25-30 minute drive to Sutton, determined to conquer such little setbacks! I arrived at the Suttonians RFC clubhouse, sat in the car for a few minutes, and then the coughing started again. Hmmmm.

I thought of my previous experience here, when I spluttered my way to a 49:xx time in 2013, and wasn't in a good way at the finish. Did I really need to put myself through that again? Who would I be doing it for? Very reluctantly, I turned the car around and drove back to D15, without even going in and collecting the T-shirt. Disappointing, but looking back I think I made the right decision. Some day, SOME DAY! I'll be back, and in the whole of my health, to have a shot at it.

Either way, that's the end of my racing for 2018 - I won't be going back to my original choice of Clonliffe this Sunday! I'll box up the soon to be old year early next week. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

This morning, it was much the same - intermittent coughing without any warning. Even so, I hopped into the car for the 25-30 minute drive to Sutton, determined to conquer such little setbacks! I arrived at the Suttonians RFC clubhouse, sat in the car for a few minutes, and then the coughing started again. Hmmmm.

I thought of my previous experience here, when I spluttered my way to a 49:xx time in 2013, and wasn't in a good way at the finish. Did I really need to put myself through that again? Who would I be doing it for? Very reluctantly, I turned the car around and drove back to D15, without even going in and collecting the T-shirt.

It was a lovely day (and route) for it.

But no point if you were sick, and the most important thing is that you hit the 1000miles the day before :pac:. You can take the rest of the year off to fix the cold!

It was a lovely day (and route) for it.

But no point if you were sick, and the most important thing is that you hit the 1000miles the day before :pac:. You can take the rest of the year off to fix the cold!

Thanks M, sorry I missed you. Seems like there were quite a few Boardsies out there.

Looks like I may be going with your suggestion above. Not the plan originally, but this morning I had to pull out of what would have been my 25th parkrun volunteering stint, due to ongoing illness. Not sure what I'd gain going out between now and New Year's, so we'll see :)

2018 - Ag Féachaint Siar

Might as well do this now so. Rather than going through all my races (24!) in chronological order, this time I'm going to pick out my best and worst of the year.

Best

1. MSB Doyle Cup XC Handicap, December 23

I put in a time considerably faster than my two previous efforts. Although there weren't many actual times slower than mine, I still covered the 6 miles quicker than all those who I would consider to be of the same standard as me. Finishing third was a rare but very enjoyable bonus.

2. Kilcock 10 Mile, August 19

Very pleased with this one. Although my old PB was very weak (1:14:13) I still had to go out and do it in this race. The last two miles were very tough, into a headwind along the canal. A 2:40 PB (1:11:33) was just reward, I feel.

3. BHAA Garda XC, Phoenix Park, February 3

One of my favourite XC races, and this year I put in my best performance by far, my 78/203 finishing position being a big improvement on previous years - and I beat Murph_D for the only time this year :pac:

Other notables include the Dublin Masters XC, where I improved my position from 2017, and didn't get lapped, as well as running a National race for the first time, although I can't quite say I "nailed the Nats" this time :D

Some of you may remember I picked up a category first place during the summer, with what was my best 5k time of 2018 (20:52) to that point. Fun as that was, with the field being so shallow, I later discovered it would have been hard enough not to claim that one. I also beat that time on four occasions in the five months that followed.

Worst

1. BHAA K-Club 10k, March 31

I should have never have gone to this. I'd little or no training done in the weeks leading up to it, and all my rivals were out of sight long before half way. The only good thing I could say about this one was that I actually finished it - stepping off at the end of the first loop was unbelievably tempting.

2. BHAA Trinity Track, June 13

Taking these two together. In the 800, even though the first lap was ridiculously slow, I quite simply gave up when the pace increased. The 2000m wasn't quite as bad, but a 6:20 time and 13/22 finishing position is a dreadful outcome, no matter how I might try and sugarcoat it.

3. Simon Home Run, October 6

Running a 5 mile with an uphill finish is rarely a good idea after a work night out. The fact that my 36:02 was still in the top 5% is more a reflection of the lack of quality on show. Any serious race, I would have been wiped out.

I'm not inclined to include my Clontarf DNF here. I think that was more due to my being unable to cope with the relatively extreme (for me) weather conditions, rather than particularly poor performance on my part. Not much you can do when your energy is slowly draining away.

I ran 25 parkruns this year, 15 of which were in Porterstown. The other 10 were all at different venues. Three in particular stand out. They are :-

(1) My 100th parkrun, in Porterstown on August 4. I set my best time of 2018 to that point, and equalled my parkrun PB, set in my 50th, also at Porterstown. Lots of cake to mark the occasion too.

(2) Brickfields (3/11) - my first visit here, but what was of more significance was the fact that I completed the Dublin parkrun set again.

(3) Malahide (10/11) - a long overdue return to my first parkrunning love, and I marked it with a (one second!) parkrun PB, on their 6th birthday.

Overall

Not a great year running wise, as I only barely cleared 1000 miles, and some of my race choices were highly questionable. Even allowing for study etc, I don't think I was creative enough in finding space and time to run. This was reflected in some of the results, although I certainly surpassed my own expectations in others.

I'll write up a 2019 preview piece Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Really enjoyed this log once I started following relatively recently. All the best for 2019.

Really enjoyed this log once I started following relatively recently. All the best for 2019.

Thanks P, glad you liked it. More and better to follow next year I hope.

Separately, unlike some here who have been cribbing about their logs not getting a LOTY nomination :D I'm completely unsurprised about my own not getting through. Sure it would be entirely unexpected, for a log comprised of tales of a plodder supreme, to suddenly get recognition from out of the darkness....wouldn't it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Looking forward to hearing the plans for 2019 J; you had some great highlights from 2018 considering everything that was going on outside of running.

As always a great log to keep tabs on especially the race reports!

Happy New Year for 2019!

C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Happy New Year to you J. Well done on pulling out some great runs amidst all the distractions. 2019 should see some chunky improvements.

Looking forward to hearing the plans for 2019 J; you had some great highlights from 2018 considering everything that was going on outside of running.

As always a great log to keep tabs on especially the race reports!

Happy New Year for 2019!

C

Thanks C, there was actually much to enjoy in spite of all the off course activity. Plenty more to work on though.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Happy New Year to you J. Well done on pulling out some great runs amidst all the distractions. 2019 should see some chunky improvements.

Ah here, leave ir ou'! I might be carrying considerably more weight than many here, but I'm not quite up to NFL linebacker proportions :pac: and I'm pleased to say that I haven't gained any over Christmas :D

Ag Súil Le 2019

I am indeed looking forward to my 2019 running year!

Not in the sense that it could only improve on 2018, more that I'm confident that with more and better training, and less distractions, the results will come, and I'll end up with more than the single (10 mile) PB I got on the road this year.

Dare I set some goals, in case it all falls asunder? Well I'm going to anyway.

5k - Current PB 19:43 (Docklands 2017), Goal sub-19
    5 miles - 34:08 (Terenure 2014), sub-33
    10k - 43:19 (Fingal 2017), sub-40
    HM - 1:37:30 (Race Series HM 2016), sub 1:32
    Marathon - 3:49:01 (DCM 2016), sub 3:30

Yes, for better or worse, I've signed up for DCM again :eek:

Now, whether I even take the start line is another matter. Same rules apply in relation to my general state of health, being able to put in the time, mileage etc. At least at this stage I have a number of months to make sure that all the nuts and bolts are in place before commencing a marathon training plan.

If I do line up, it'll be my last time running a marathon anywhere. Much as I continue to treasure my memories of DCM 2016 and Paris 2014, marathon training takes up so much time, to the exclusion of so many other things, and there is so much that can go wrong. But then, the rewards of finishing can be incredible, so I hope I can have another crack at immortality :pac:

Believe it or not, I don't have too many races planned at the moment. The ones I've actually signed up for, or have in my mind's eye, are as follows:-

Sat Jan 12, BHAA Bank of Ireland XC, Tymon Park
    Sun Feb 3, National Masters XC, Dundalk IT
    Sun Apr 14, Connemara HM
    Sat May 18, Inishbofin HM
    Sun Oct 27, DCM 2019

No doubt there will be a lot of additions to that schedule in the coming months. However, somehow I might have to find a way to resist the temptation to race another 24 times next year! Fine, to an extent, if my mileage, speedwork etc are up to scratch. They weren't, this year or last.

Favourites that I sadly won't make it to this time include Dublin Masters XC, Raheny 5 and BHAA Garda XC. Also, the Trinity track races - the one time I've ever come near winning a race so far - are now sadly no more.

I'm on 110 parkruns as we close out 2018, and I aim to add to this tally, and maybe even cross the county line once or twice. For example, Castletown is closer to my house than about two thirds of the actual Dublin parkruns!

I've had a brilliant time following logs here, and hope you've enjoyed sifting through this one. I've learned quite a bit from them, and got to meet some great people as a result, and long may that continue.

Thanks for reading. Guím gach rath agus séan oraibh go léir san Athbhliain. J.

The Great Western Conn Job - Week 4 of 18

For various reasons, another low mileage week, as this log finally moves forward into the New Year.

New Year's Eve - Rest

New Year's Day - Hartstown parkrun

With it having been six days since my last run of any description, I was in no way inclined to push hard in this one, even though I wasn't doing a double. Food and drink for NYE didn't help either, much as I enjoyed it at the time :pac: Good job I wasn't racing the Tom Brennan! As for this one, I picked a spot somewhere in the middle, and kept the effort fairly easy, passing a lot without being passed. 22:34, 29/167 (record numbers for Hartstown), 5th M45. Bit spluttery when I finished - not a good look.

Home, quick shower and throw on the layers for my volunteering stint. We had 224 in Porterstown, a record for us. Beforehand, the RD mentioned that it was my 25th time volunteering, so I got a cheer from the massive attendance :pac: With no sign of AMK to put pressure on him :D Fletch secured a New Year's Day first place double.

Wed 2/1 - 5.93 miles@9:15/mi

I swapped out the John O'Regan session, as a result of the parkrun having been the day before. Instead, this was a run of the mill three laps of Carpenterstown, with a lap of Tír na nÓg at the end to bring it a bit closer to 6 miles for the night. Thankfully, I had a neighbour for company for some of this.

Thu 3/1 - No running

The plan was to tackle the JO'R session (2E, 2 x 10k pace, 2E) tonight. What actually happened was, I had to collect the car from a service, then collect my wife from work, then some family stuff before dinner. No chance for a run after all that was taken care of. Plus the Reds were beaten by Man City :mad:

Fri 4/1 - Rest

Sat 5/1 - 4.77 miles@8:48/mi

We were in Waterford, to mark my wife's birthday, so no Dublin Masters XC for me this year. This run was part road, part trail, with some nice little drags included. Nothing too hectic.

Sun 6/1 - 3.66 miles@8:40/mi

I didn't bother with the trails this time. I ran in the opposite direction to yesterday, which meant that the steepest hill was climbed at the end of each lap, rather than running down it at the beginning.

Next

I intend to be a bit more on plan next week, and also I'm intending to run my first race of 2019, the BHAA Bank of Ireland XC. It's a combined race, similar to Irish Life, so I'm targeting a top half finish. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks for reading. J.

• Advertisement

The Great Western Conn Job - Week 5 of 18

Upped it a bit this week, with varying results.

Mon 7/1 - Rest

Tue 8/1 - 5.88 miles@8:32/mi

8.52 first mile, the next four were in 8:2x range. Consistent if nothing else.

Wed 9/1 - 6.07 miles@8:32/mi

I've only just noticed that the average pace was the same as the night before. There the similarities end :D This was another attempt at the John O'Regan session (2E, 2 x 10k pace, 2E) which I previously tried in Week 2 (19/12/18).

First two miles to the end of Laurel Lodge were deliberately very slow. There's a couple of little drags in the first mile of the speed session - up to the Laurel Lodge shops, and then up to the turnaround point at the third roundabout. Plus there were lots of people and dogs out for their evening strolls, so this necessitated a lot of dodging and weaving at "pace". Back the way I came for the second mile.

Overall, I felt a lot more in control of what I was doing than in my previous attempt at this session; the first time I was very flappy, with lots of cross strides and all that. 7:17 for the first, 6:58 for the second.

Thu 10/1 - No running

A work do meant I skipped the plan's recovery miles.

Fri 11/1 - Rest

Sat 12/1 - BHAA Bank of Ireland XC, Tymon Park

Pre Race

I arrived early at Faughs GAA Club in Templeogue, to sort out my annual membership and pay for this race all in one go. All very straightforward, and after having a chat with Ian, we made our way to the start.

This was a two lap, 6k combined race. I took off for a slow warmup lap. The course was firm enough for the most part, even after Friday night's rain, but I went with spikes. The target was a top half finish, even after having missed a lot of sessions in recent weeks due to illness and other reasons. Realistic, or another case of me picking numbers out of the air?

Lap 1

I was a long way back at the start, and initially this suited as we went up the drag at the back of the first GAA pitch. After this, I started to make my way through the field - working hard, but feeling good about what I was doing. There was a nice downhill section to stretch the legs, before we went around two more pitches to the most northerly point of the course. The uphill drag here also had the wind blowing straight into our faces, before some respite on turning left and working our way south. I was maintaining position until one or two passed me on the drag up the back of the main St Judes GAA pitch. Another long straight before we came down the very steep bank at the end of the lap. I actually slowed down here, to avoid any embarrassing face first episodes. Through the first lap in 13:2x.

Lap 2

With Susan running, Jim was on the mic today, and he gave me a shout as I was passing the van. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make much progress as a result - the opposite turned out to be the case. The drag at the start of the lap was much tougher this time, and I got passed back by one or two who I passed earlier. The second drag to the end of the lake, I initially tucked in behind a group of four, which included a teammate and Michael from UB (getting plenty of support on home ground). They were going too slowly for my liking, so I overtook them all towards the end of that stretch. However, within 100m of turning the corner, they had all passed me back, as well as at least 5 or 6 others. I felt like I was running through quicksand, even though the ground wasn't heavy.

WTF. Anyone else want to pass? Even though there was less than a mile left, it felt like I'd about four to go. By the time I got to the top of the Judes pitch and turned onto the exposed stretch right alongside the M50, I had stopped feeling sorry for myself, and managed to catch and pass Martin and Michael again. As we turned to drop down the bank again, I had negative thoughts of falling on my face with the finish line in sight. Thankfully, I managed to avoid this, although the photos are less than flattering :pac: From there, a short burst to the line, but the girl ahead (yellow Quest Achill top) was just out of range.

As I crossed the line, I wasn't best pleased with my performance. I knew that I was behind a number of people whom I'd beaten in the Irish Life (quite a long way in at least one case), including one who I don't think had beaten me in about two years. Being a near veteran of the BHAA scene, I've got to know most of the regular faces, particularly where XC is concerned. This usually gives me a good idea of where I am in the grand scheme of things. Who am I beating? Who's beating me? So much for the top half finish, I'm thinking. Maybe I should have revised my targets, given the health issues and general lack of miles since the Doyle Cup.

It came as quite a shock later on, to discover that I'd achieved my target after all. We also got a team prize, as I was our third scorer for second place in Class A.

Position: 79/174
    Category: 9th M45 (of 18)
    Time: 27:30

Sun 13/1 - 8.27 miles@9:06/mi

Easy recovery miles in the Phoenix Park with the Porterstown Panthers, with a slight detour to go around the CCJ and up Infirmary Road. 27.8 miles for the week.

Next

The plan enters a new phase next week, with the introduction of hills, and an extension of the session I took on this week. As regards racing, in three weeks time I'll be making my debut in the National Masters XC, on the hallowed turf of Dundalk IT #CanWWNailTheNats Thanks for reading. J.

Good to see you this morning J. Bit of focus on the Nats and you will be in fine form for it.

Good to see you this morning J. Bit of focus on the Nats and you will be in fine form for it.

Thanks C, you were moving well with the Donore gang.

As for the Nats, warm weather training will be fun. Hopefully I should be able to beat the 22.5 miles (approximately) that I covered the last time I tried this. (#3632) I had to dig into the bowels of the old Novices thread for that one :D
    Longest run that week was about 12k, and similarly this time it will all be easy stuff; no intervals or speedwork, and I'm still not a fan of treadmills. This ship has a running track about 600m long. The cap and shades were absent on Saturday, as one of the lads pointed out on our WhatsApp. Fear not, they'll be back on show in Dundalk :pac:

Enjoy the break I would imagine you will be well hydrated by the time you get back!

Had forgotten about your previous cruise exploits!

Thanks C, you were moving well with the Donore gang.

As for the Nats, warm weather training will be fun. Hopefully I should be able to beat the 22.5 miles (approximately) that I covered the last time I tried this. (#3632) I had to dig into the bowels of the old Novices thread for that one :D
    Longest run that week was about 12k, and similarly this time it will all be easy stuff; no intervals or speedwork, and I'm still not a fan of treadmills. This ship has a running track about 600m long. The cap and shades were absent on Saturday, as one of the lads pointed out on our WhatsApp. Fear not, they'll be back on show in Dundalk :pac:

The Great Western Conn Job - Week 6 of 18

Mon 14/1 - Rest

Tue 15/1 - 6.13 miles@9:11/mi

This was the first of the hill sessions on the John O'Regan plan. I parked the car in one of the estates near the West County, and shuffled off towards Islandbridge for the warmup, turning around opposite the Garda Club and coming back up. I'd more or less 3 miles covered in this manner, before going straight into the session itself.

In practice, this was three hard runs up the hill from the West County to a point roughly opposite the car wash belonging to the first garage in Palmerstown (Circle K). This was tough. Roughly half way up, the gradient increases significantly, and I was doubting if I'd even get one done, let alone three. Complete it I did, although Strava only credited me with two, as I apparently stopped half an inch short the first time. The recovery was the turnaround and descent. No stopping for a break, turn and straight up again! For the 400m Strava segment, I got 1:48 for the second and third runs. Pleased with that! Cooldown was a shuffle pace effort down to the staggered crossroads in Chapelizod and back up to the car. A decent night's work.

Wed 16/1 - 5.93 miles@9:14/mi

Carpenterstown recovery.

Thu 17/1 - 6.01 miles@8:16/mi

Another session, this time an extension of the 2E/2 x 10k/2E that I tried in a couple of previous weeks. As we're now in what JO'R calls the strength phase of the plan, the difficulty level has been increased here, to 2E/3 x 10k pace/1E.

With a race and a session in the bag in the last few days, I was dreading this. It was a bit cooler too, but that didn't affect me at all. Very easy in the opening 2 miles to the end of Laurel Lodge, before the session started.

My mantra during this stint was "STAY IN CONTROL" - trying to keep workrate and form steady, head up, breathing consistent, not all over the place (that applies to body and breathing).
    In general, I was reasonably successful in this regard. My heart sank when I had to stop at the Laurel Lodge shops, with barely a quarter of a mile covered. Thankfully I was able to get the legs moving again.

Second mile (back to the end of LL) was a real battle, more with the head than anything else, as this was the slightly downhill mile of the three. As I approached the junction with Castleknock Road, I kept thinking "just do the 2E again, you've done enough the last few days". It took a fair bit of willpower to go up the gears again after I turned around! The last mile of the session wasn't the disaster I feared it would turn out to be. Granted, I had to scrap a bit harder to get it done, but finish it out I did, before slowing down for the last very easy mile back to base. 7:08/7:02/7:13 for the "pace" miles.

Fri 18/1 - Rest

Sat 19/1

Not certain what this will entail. Part of me would love to join the lads for hills, but after a race and two sessions in the last 6 days, I'm probably better off just getting some easy miles in before I leave.

There won't be any intervals while I'm away - easy miles before breakfast is likely to be the order of the day, with maybe a bit of S&C thrown in (there's a gym on the ship). I'm not due back in the country until a mere three days before the Nats, so ideally I'd like to avoid coming home too much heavier than I am now. Target is top 75%. Ambitious? Maybe. Having said that, I'm still going to enjoy my holiday :pac:

Thanks for reading #CanWWNailTheNats

"A million ways to spend your time,
    When we get back,
    I'll drop a line"

Fair play to you for sticking with the Thursday session and finishing out the fast miles.
    Bon voyage! Hope you have a great trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Sat 12/1 - BHAA Bank of Ireland XC, Tymon Park
    Lap 1
    ... I was maintaining position until one or two passed me on the drag up the back of the main St Judes GAA pitch.

I wouldn't have known at the time but having now tracked you down on the results and the photos I think I may well have been one of them! :)
    Category: 9th M45 (of 18)
    Ha ha ... I see we're claiming the same age category placing. There is a discrepancy between the results file they published initially (on Twitter I think) and the online results on the web site. If the latter is correct then I've move up a place!

MrSkinny wrote: »
    I wouldn't have known at the time but having now tracked you down on the results and the photos I think I may well have been one of them! :)

You were. I remembered somebody passing through the field alongside that Lucan Harrier. Not bad for a tempo run :) I won't be running the Garda XC, but may be there supporting, so will keep an eye out for you. Either way, I've now got another marker for future races :pac:

Ha ha ... I see we're claiming the same age category placing. There is a discrepancy between the results file they published initially (on Twitter I think) and the online results on the web site. If the latter is correct then I've move up a place!

Yes, I edited mine after that discrepancy was discovered, so you're up a place too. Regardless, I think both of us have a lot of work to do in order to get near actually winning category prizes :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you were doing the full or the ultra you'd be doing the Long Conn, also featuring Robert Redford. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

I won't be running the Garda XC, but may be there supporting, so will keep an eye out for you. Either way, I've now got another marker for future races pacman.gif
    I may not be able to make the Garda XC in the end because of a clash with a volleyball game so don't go looking too hard!
    Yes, I edited mine after that discrepancy was discovered, so you're up a place too. Regardless, I think both of us have a lot of work to do in order to get near actually winning category prizes :D
    For sure ... goal for 2020 perhaps? :)

Advertisement