Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

African American attitudes

Options
1235»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

764dak wrote: »
    You know cops are just targeting people whom they think are more likely to commit crimes.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Is that because you've carefully studied a great deal of evidence, weighed up both sides of the argument and arrived at your conclusion? Or is this just a gut feeling on your part?
    Neither. It is because evidence to the contrary has not been laid out before me for my perusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

764dak wrote: »
    You know cops are just targeting people whom they think are more likely to commit crimes. People in poor neighbourhoods.

Female cops dress as prostitutes to nab potential criminals. Cops leave cars with keys on the inside to attract wrongdoers.

Cops are targeting black poor neighborhoods.
    This is clearly evident in the statistics.
    Crimes like drug possession are purely about where you choose to enforce that.
    Send 100 guardai into South Dublin for a prolonged period of time and watch the arrest rates for illegal drugs shoot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

vetinari wrote: »
    Cops are targeting black poor neighborhoods.
    This is clearly evident in the statistics.
    Crimes like drug possession are purely about where you choose to enforce that.
    Send 100 guardai into South Dublin for a prolonged period of time and watch the arrest rates for illegal drugs shoot up.

Poor areas have much crime. Many black people live in poor areas because of the powers that be. Why blame police for targeting poor neighbourhoods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Help!!!! wrote: »
    The only way things will change is when the black community stop acting like victims & start owning some of the problems they face.
    Strangely enough, First time I heard almost those exact words was from a black friend over there.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Couldn't care less, if someone wants to waste their time checking what I'm doing then fire ahead.
    Ok so lets get rid of all the surveillance & lets say a terrorist bomb goes off killing members of your family are you going to say too bad but at least we have the 4th amendment?
    Yes we all know about Nixon etc but that was the 70s & we have had a black president for the last 8 years. Some people prefer to act like victims so they don't have to solve their own problems

If being under surveillance was optional would you opt in or opt out?

And why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

You hardly hear about cops killing innocents now.  The media are too busy reporting Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

America is a county of migrants.

When Paddy got off the boat during the famine no one cared if he was from Cork or Mayo or Galway, all they knew was that he was Irish, that's when Irish identity first came to the fore.
    Same with Germans, Polish etc.

At this stage many Irish Americans could not find Ireland on the map but they still call themselves Irish to be distinct from other groups.

Same goes for African Americans, the African part is to acknowledge their origin, which they are well entitled to do.

This is pretty much it. It's also true in Canada to some extent but not quite as much as the US in my experience - ask someone in work or a pub or whatnot "so where are you from?" (which I would always means as 'are you from this area/city/country/etc?') and you'll very often get a breakdown of what fraction of which nationalities they are... which never fails to catch me off guard! :D

Advertisement