Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRE vs NZ rematch: build-up thread

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I don't know, I think the enforced injury changes in the 6 Nations and the RSA tour were more important than the Canada game team selection. Ringrose aside I wouldn't expect to see any of the new caps from the Canada game again until Japan, barring another injury crisis.
    Well ToH might get another shot at the 6N. Joey Carbery too. They weren't completely new caps though, but close enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Well ToH might get another shot at the 6N. Joey Carbery too. They weren't completely new caps though, but close enough.

Carbery might as there's only 2 ahead of him, one who has a habit of getting injured and one who has off field stuff ongoing.

I can't see TOH featuring. I like him but he appears to be 4th choice FB at the moment, or that's how I'm reading it anyway.

Carbery might as there's only 2 ahead of him, one who has a habit of getting injured and one who has off field stuff ongoing.

I can't see TOH featuring. I like him but he appears to be 4th choice FB at the moment, or that's how I'm reading it anyway.
    We're still short on wingers though. I'm not sure Gilroy really has a future (even short term) in green. Earls seems to be on again, off again fitness wise and how many more times can we go to the Andrew Trimble well withiout coming up empty?

Which basically means that we're also short on full backs, because all our other options are wingers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We're still short on wingers though. I'm not sure Gilroy really has a future (even short term) in green. Earls seems to be on again, off again fitness wise and how many more times can we go to the Andrew Trimble well withiout coming up empty?

Which basically means that we're also short on full backs, because all our other options are wingers first.

Not sure if it will happen soon but I'd like to see Jacob Stockdale get an invite to the training camps. Depending how he goes with Ulster (and there is ait of competition there) he could come into contention for Japan or if not then next November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

b.gud wrote: »
    If you're in an Aisan country rugbypass.com has the streaming rights. You can also get a free trial with it

Unfortunately I'm not but thanks anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I don't know, I think the enforced injury changes in the 6 Nations and the RSA tour were more important than the Canada game team selection. Ringrose aside I wouldn't expect to see any of the new caps from the Canada game again until Japan, barring another injury crisis.

The Canada game wasnt really an international at all. IN the olden days it wouldnt have been a capped game. It was a development squad sophisticated training session. Tomorrow is Ireland's next game from the Chicago one.

True. Of our go to wingers over the past few seasons Zebo is the youngest at 26. Come the next WC we're looking at Zebo 29, Earls 33, Dave K 30, Trimble 35 and Bowe 35.

Gilroy has probably featured the most out of other options but he doesn't seem to be a first, or even second, choice at the moment. It's definitely an area we need to look at. Healy will be 30 by the next WC, Adeolokun will be knocking on 30. We'd really need to be looking at bringing the likes of Sweetnam and even Lyttle or Stockdale through too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

True. Of our go to wingers over the past few seasons Zebo is the youngest at 26. Come the next WC we're looking at Zebo 29, Earls 33, Dave K 30, Trimble 35 and Bowe 35.

Gilroy has probably featured the most out of other options but he doesn't seem to be a first, or even second, choice at the moment. It's definitely an area we need to look at. Healy will be 30 by the next WC, Adeolokun will be knocking on 30. We'd really need to be looking at bringing the likes of Sweetnam and even Lyttle or Stockdale through too.

You're right of course but to be pedantic Niyi will only turn 29 during the next RWC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I've seen way more of Sweetnam than the other 2, but if he continues to improve at the rate he is at the moment, then I think he'll have every chance.

bilston wrote: »
    Not sure if it will happen soon but I'd like to see Jacob Stockdale get an invite to the training camps. Depending how he goes with Ulster (and there is ait of competition there) he could come into contention for Japan or if not then next November.

The problem for Stockdale is that he doesn't seem to get a)a good spell of consecutive games and b)playing in the same position.

I read his preferred position is centre but bar the last week he played there he's usually used on the wing or at FB. Of course that makes him the ideal candidate for the 23 shirt.

• Advertisement

That would be good. Because although we have some good solid wingers with time ahead of them, we also seem to get a lot of injuries there. Dave Kearney, Tommy Bowe and Luke FitzGerald have all either gone completely or have been on protracted injury leave.

That leaves us with Trimble (time ticking on), Gilroy (not up to the grade) and Zebo, with only Zebo actually with experience and time on his side. The other newer caps: Matt Healy (also getting on in years) and Adeolokun (no spring chicken either) are very new and hard to predict if they'll be the next in line.

Obviously there are others starting to break ground in the provinces like Cian Kelleher and Adam Byrne etc. but it seems to me that you need at least six or seven alternatives to have enough squad depth for the future.

Bazzo wrote: »
    You're right of course but to be pedantic Niyi will only turn 29 during the next RWC.

That's why I said knocking on 30 :D And to be precise he will turn 30 the day after the final.

EDIT: No, I can't count, he'll turn 29 the day after the final, so for all intents and purposes he will be 28 at the next WC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Obviously there are others starting to break ground in the provinces like Cian Kelleher and Adam Byrne etc. but it seems to me that you need at least six or seven alternatives to have enough squad depth for the future.

Agreed.

Kelleher in particular has caught my eye this season. So has Sweetnam.
    Had forgotten about Byrne to my shame! But yes him too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Poor Ferg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I forgot we were touring there next year and thought you meant the world cup!

aloooof wrote: »
    I've seen way more of Sweetnam than the other 2, but if he continues to improve at the rate he is at the moment, then I think he'll have every chance.

Lyttle has impressed me in the few games he's played. Obviously it's way too early at this point to be calling for him to be included in the Ireland squad but if we were to leave a few of the older guys at home next summer I think we could do worse.

Stockdale came on at centre in Ulster's last match there, Edinburgh was it? Dreadful performance all round but he provided some real spark when he came on and can play wing and FB too.

I'd say if we were ranking the younger players Sweetnam is ahead of the two Ulster lads but if we were to leave older heads at home next summer I wouldn't be mad if any of them got to go to Japan.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Poor Ferg

You know, I was this close to including him to see the reaction :D

A bit like Dave Kearney. Seems to get people all riled up. :)

I forgot we were touring there next year and thought you meant the world cup!

Yes, I was so unimpressed with everyone that I think they should be banished from the Ireland squad for 3 years. By which time we'll have qualified a load of better players through residency ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What has scholes been up to since he went to Scotland?

And on another note, where is max deegan playing now?

• Advertisement

Lyttle has impressed me in the few games he's played. Obviously it's way too early at this point to be calling for him to be included in the Ireland squad but if we were to leave a few of the older guys at home next summer I think we could do worse.

Stockdale came on at centre in Ulster's last match there, Edinburgh was it? Dreadful performance all round but he provided some real spark when he came on and can play wing and FB too.

I'd say if we were ranking the younger players Sweetnam is ahead of the two Ulster lads but if we were to leave older heads at home next summer I wouldn't be mad if any of them got to go to Japan.

Would seem like the perfect opportunity to give some of the younger guys a chance. I'd love to see the likes of Rory Scannell getting some game time there too.

Would Bleyendaal be qualified by then? I'm not sure if he's even said anything about declaring for Ireland, unlike Payne and Stander. (Or if he'd be picked, for that matter).

aloooof wrote: »
    Would Bleyendaal be qualified by then? I'm not sure if he's even said anything about declaring for Ireland, unlike Payne and Stander. (Or if he'd be picked, for that matter).

This is technically his 3rd season at Munster but I don't think he actually arrived in Ireland until January 2015, so I assume it will be January 2018 before he's eligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What has scholes been up to since he went to Scotland?

Not a lot. He hasn't really settled well there from what I can see. I don't think he has any significant injuries either. 2 starts (one in the Challenge Cup) and another sub appearance.
    And on another note, where is max deegan playing now?

He's in the academy. A couple of appearances at B&I Cup level but there's such a glut of back row players at Leinster he'll need to be patient. I would imagine this season is all about conditioning for him. He only turned 20 a few weeks back. He's playing a good big for Lansdowne in the AIL too. Scored against UCD last week.

This is technically his 3rd season at Munster but I don't think he actually arrived in Ireland until January 2015, so I assume it will be January 2018 before he's eligible?

I think you're right here, he got injured and had surgery in NZ before moving over from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Unfortunately I'm not but thanks anyway!

Install kodi media player. You can then get a bunch of add on's that show all sports

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The problem for Stockdale is that he doesn't seem to get a)a good spell of consecutive games and b)playing in the same position.

I read his preferred position is centre but bar the last week he played there he's usually used on the wing or at FB. Of course that makes him the ideal candidate for the 23 shirt.

If his cameo against Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago is anything to go by he will start nailing a place down in the 23 and given our injuries the starting XV soon enough. He has come on leaps and bounds since last year. He was genuinely outstanding against Edinburgh from the bench. He was so far and away our best player that night it wasn't funny! Mind you given the way most of the others played it wouldn't have been hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It's funny, though he is much maligned on this board, he has 32 caps, 6 more than Zebo and double what Dave Kearney has. To my memory he has never played badly for Ireland, even though he is limited compared to many, he's still in the mix when injury free I'd imagine. Though that's rare these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Match Thread is now up :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,567 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Match thread now open. Post there instead.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement