Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRE vs NZ rematch: build-up thread

Options
  • 10-11-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭

Kiwis want the monkey of our back

ouders-en-meisje-op-vloer-met-omhoog-duimen-11450815.jpg

This is Grace Andrews and her parents Steve & Holly. They live in the plush Auckland suburb of Remuera. Grace is almost 3 years old. She was just an itch in Steve's pants the last time NZ defeated Ireland in rugby. She wants for nothing, with piano, Mandarin, and horse-riding lessons each week. However, to make her perfect little life complete, Steve & Holly hope for a NZ victory in Dublin. "This is something money can't buy", says Holly.

f21f51546a0abfc0da3e2f2639942d15.png

Winifred Owen is 91 and a life-long AB fan. Winifred was still only a spritely 88, the last time Ireland lost to NZ. Since then, Winifred has had a cataract operation, and moved into her local retirement village. She still remembers George Nepia's last game for NZ. A NZ victory in Dublin is on her bucket list.

thavisha.jpg

Wellington is home to Sanjeeva Ranasinghe. Sanjeeva, or San the man as his Kiwi mates call him, moved from his native Sri Lanka to NZ in 2013 on a wave of optimism after the AB's unbeaten season. His application for permanent NZ residency is currently being processed at NZ immigration. However, following San's request, his application is on hold pending the result of Dublin's rematch. "I've indicated to officials that should NZ lose, I'm not sure I'll want to stay in NZ long-term. I need a country with hope and a future."

sheep-617128.jpg

This is Dolly the sheep and her pals. Dolly was a spring lamb in 2013, now she is mutton. "We will look to send out a few bleats on twitter if NZ can get the monkey off our back."

So, I know that Ire and NZ still have to play this weekend, but surely the A sides can't lose to Canada or Italy respectively? We will see how long the Kiwi bonhomie lasts should Schmidt and the lads go back to back...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

That was unexpected..

Someone really isn't taking the loss very well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Glad to know that we either do the double or we'll be deliberately throwing the match for the benefit of some great current/prospective Kiwis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Someone really isn't taking the loss very well....

No matter how hard I explain to Dolly it was only a game of rugby and that life still goes, she keeps saying I'm trying to pull the wool over her eyes.

And of course once Dolly starts all the rest just row on in behind. Almost as if they were a flock of sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

All I want to know is the tv channel. Is it strictly eirsport or will it be on Rte?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's a forgone conclusion. New Zealand are a spent force, they're irrelevant to the sport now. This is OFFICIALLY their worst year since 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The real question here is... will the match get called off if NZ lose to Italy?

.ak wrote: »
    The real question here is... will the match get called off if NZ lose to Italy?

Nah, the Kiwis are grateful up for the opportunity. In order for them to be the best they need to keep playing the best that the Northern Hemisphere has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland played New Zealand in 2013 and it finished 22-24.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

There are members of that All Black squad who have never beaten Ireland. Will be interesting to see how they overcome that mental block

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Bridge93 wrote: »
    There are members of that All Black squad who have never beaten Ireland. Will be interesting to see how they overcome that mental block

Brilliant!!!

Not to mention having to (maybe) face the pre-match fiddle music again. Maybe NZ should insist on doing the Haka first, Ireland in a pique could then respond by doing the fiddle music in the dressing room rather than on the field. Of course it would be a poorer spectacle without the traditional fiddler but principles are important we all agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Over half the New Zealand travelling squad have never beaten Ireland. Poor buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,080 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feels a lot nicer now watching that game now as the monkey is off our backs 3 years later but it was a heart wrenching defeat that should never have happened and has to be put by right by us

It's really a win/win situation for Ireland now After the Chicago win and more pressure will be on the All Blacks

It's going to be a massive game and I for one am delighted I have 2 precious tickets too it (got it late in the Vodafone pre-sale actually, there was only a small non package ticket allocation for the game )

We should really be using the New Zealand game for experimentation. I mean in reality what are we going to learn about Rory Best by playing him against New Zealand that we don't already know? #ConservativeJoe will probably go ahead and pick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I know this was a big step for you. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Approximately 100,000 people, who have been born on the island of Ireland since 2013, have no idea what its like to lose to New Zealand in their lifetime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What are you going to do with all the money you're going to save on therapist bills now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Approximately 100,000 people, who have been born on the island of Ireland since 2013, have no idea what its like to lose to New Zealand in their lifetime.

Swiwi have you got any stats about how many New Zealander have been born that have no idea what it's like to beat Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I have two children who have never seen Ireland lose to New Zealand. I don't want to have to explain a loss to them. Or what rugby is.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    What are you going to do with all the money you're going to save on therapist bills now?

Invest in my Neil Francis ligind t-shirt range.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hagz wrote: »
    All I want to know is the tv channel. Is it strictly eirsport or will it be on Rte?

This ones on RTE (and Sky Sports too).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I missed this thread yesterday evening. Gold. Pure gold. I think we might be getting back into the swing of how to do these pre-match threads properly again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

First the win in Chicago and now with Munster beating the Maori you'd have to think the NZRU will be trying to import some Irish project players in the next few years.

DGRulz wrote: »
    First the win in Chicago and now with Munster beating the Maori you'd have to think the NZRU will be trying to import some Irish project players in the next few years.

Got a leaflet in the door this morning offering scholarships to top New Zealand schools for the kids... Saw someone I didn't recognise at mini rugby last Sunday, all adds up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

We should really be using the New Zealand game for experimentation. I mean in reality what are we going to learn about Rory Best by playing him against New Zealand that we don't already know?

That he can be them twice in a row ?

We are not playing that game to learn anything - we are playing it to win it. The Aus game can be used as a development game alright, beating them is not the unprecedented new height that beating the ABs is. When we start beating the ABs more often than they beat us, then we can start using those games to learn about players.

That he can be them twice in a row ?

We are not playing that game to learn anything - we are playing it to win it. The Aus game can be used as a development game alright, beating them is not the unprecedented new height that beating the ABs is. When we start beating the ABs more often than they beat us, then we can start using those games to learn about players.

Whoosh....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I enjoyed reading this thread, thanks very much for putting a smile on my face lads

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

I enjoyed reading this thread, thanks very much for putting a smile on my face lads

I thoughti was on UAFC for a minute and had to check

• Advertisement

05.08.2014: Black Ferns 14 vs Irish Women 17
    12.06.2016: Baby Blacks 22 vs Ireland U20 33
    05.11.2016: ABs 29 vs Ireland 40
    11.11.2016: Maori ABs 14 vs Munster 27

In other news, scientists have announced that Newton's laws of relativity are in fact a crock of shìt, the Earth is actually flat, and the Sun revolves around the planets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement