Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRE vs NZ rematch: build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I think you'll find the sun revolves around Joe Schmidt! For he is the centre of our universe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,042 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

swiwi_ wrote: »
    05.08.2014: Black Ferns 14 vs Irish Women 17
    12.06.2016: Baby Blacks 22 vs Ireland U20 33
    05.11.2016: ABs 29 vs Ireland 40
    11.11.2016: Maori ABs 14 vs Munster 27

In other news, scientists have announced that Newton's laws of relativity are in fact a crock of shìt, the Earth is actually flat, and the Sun revolves around the planets.

Newton's laws of.... Relativity?

Yeah they would be a crock of **** tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

We should really be using the New Zealand game for experimentation. I mean in reality what are we going to learn about Rory Best by playing him against New Zealand that we don't already know? #ConservativeJoe will probably go ahead and pick him.

Are we really going to start this again?

Joe, win ratio 66%
    Kidney, win ratio 53%
    Eddie, Win ratio 64% (itself a record).

In three seasons Joe has gotten us 2 6 nations (ie 2 from 3) with us having previously win the 6 nations once before (ever).

We have beaten SA away from home (never before done) and beaten NZ (never before done).

We didn't get to a semi final of WC and havn't yet won a grand slam.

But overall, it's a bloody amazing record, and it follows a bloody amazing record at leinster (indicating it's not a fluke).

Playing NZ isn't a time to experiment or blood new players, it's a time to try and beat them. (Imho). What I'm certain of, is that Joe has shown time and again an ability to make the right calls and I wish we would stop consistently firing negative stuff at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

We should really be using the New Zealand game for experimentation. I mean in reality what are we going to learn about Rory Best by playing him against New Zealand that we don't already know? #ConservativeJoe will probably go ahead and pick him.

Joe, win ratio 66%
    Kidney, win ratio 53%

In three seasons Joe has gotten us 2 6 nations (ie 2 from 3) with us having previously win the 6 nations once before (ever).

We have beaten SA away from home (never before done) and beaten NZ (never before done).

But overall, it's a bloody amazing record, and it follows a bloody amazing record at leinster (indicating it's not a fluke).

Playing NZ isn't a time to experiment or blood new players, it's a time to try and beat them. (Imho). What I'm certain of, is that Joe has shown time and again an ability to make the right calls and I wish we would stop consistently firing negative stuff at him.

padser wrote: »

Joe, win ratio 66%
    Kidney, win ratio 53%

Sorry man. Lot of these this weekend but

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

• Advertisement

Sorry man. Lot of these this weekend but

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

It's got to the point where people can't tell if a joke is a joke.

Maybe there should be [JOKE][/JOKE] tags, or compulsory use of :p or :D

P.S. I'm only joking (well, sort of)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's got to the point where people can't tell if a joke is a joke.

Maybe there should be [JOKE][/JOKE] tags, or compulsory use of :p or :D

P.S. I'm only joking (well, sort of)

Maybe they indeed know its a joke and are thus continuing the joke by writing in a serious manner, those rapscallions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

I've seen a lot of people end a sarcastic quip with /s perhaps we needs to start ending things in the thread with /jk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

To be if you didn't know the poster (IBF in this case) then you'd probably think he was being serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Joe, win ratio 66%
    Kidney, win ratio 53%

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Joe, win ratio 66%
    Kidney, win ratio 53%

giphy.gif

Is that your guy from the West Wing?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

So, for the rematch?

VDF into the starting side with O'Brien on the bench.

Jackson will displace Carbery

And that's it I'd say. Earls to 23 maybe.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Think next week will see

McGrath, Best, Furlong, Toner, Dillane, Stander, VDF, Heaslip

Murray, Sexton, Zebo, Henshaw, Payne, Trimble, RK.

Bench: Healy, Cronin, Bealham, Ryan, SoB, L McGrath, Jackson, Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So, for the rematch?

IMO

Luke McGrath in for Marmion. Dillane in for Ryan. Back row is a lottery as is backup 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So, for the rematch?

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Anyone think SOB might actually start next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Next week,
    Unchanged starting 15 except vdF for Jordi,
    SOB to replace vdF on the bench.
    Earls 23 instead of Ringrose.

Same for Aussie match, unless injuries.

Going forward to the 6 Nations, McGrath has a shout to get in for Marmion.

Carbery and Ringrose were promising, but being good against Canada means little, they will only get an opportunity to get into the 23 against a Tier 1 opponent through injury.
    Should be next summer before they get another run for Ireland unless injuries occur.

Marshall threw one bad intercepted pass,
    Arguably the runner was up too flat,
    He should have realised it wasn't on,
    But other than that he redeemed it with a try and some good carries and some good link ups, particularly in last 10 minutes.
    Anyone writing him off yet is being rash.
    He is still second choice to Henshaw after tonight.

Pretty much all others played well, but only one that stood out for me was Marmion slowing down the passes from the ruck, particularly in the 1st half.
    He seemed to delay fishing out the ball for a slow look around and often took a step or two with the ball before letting it out.
    Did I miss something there? Could that have been deliberate to gain some advantage I'm not aware of?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Anyone think SOB might actually start next weekend?

maybe for Aus but I think he is a touch rusty atm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Marshall threw one bad intercepted pass,
    Arguably the runner was up too flat,
    He should have realised it wasn't on,
    But other than that he redeemed it with a try and some good carries and some good link ups, particularly in last 10 minutes.
    Anyone writing him off yet is being rash.
    He is still second choice to Henshaw after tonight.
    They were warned by the coaching staff before the match about DTHvdM picking off passes. Bad enough to do it, but when you've been warned...
    Also more than a couple of badly timed kicks, one of which went out on the full.
    Pretty much all others played well, but only one that stood out for me was Marmion slowing down the passes from the ruck, particularly in the 1st half.
    He seemed to delay fishing out the ball for a slow look around and often took a step or two with the ball before letting it out.
    Did I miss something there? Could that have been deliberate to gain some advantage I'm not aware of?
    He does it for Connacht too. he can be snappy, but he can't seem to do it for any kind of protracted number of phases. McGrath is far snappier. and not just on tonight's cameo. It looks nice and calm, the way Marmion stands over the ball and directs traffic,.but the opposition have lined up and are having a Kit-kat while they wait. I had hoped he'd get that out of his game, but it's persisted for too long now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Next week,
    Unchanged starting 15 except vdF for Jordi,
    SOB to replace vdF on the bench.
    Earls 23 instead of Ringrose.

Same for Aussie match, unless injuries.

Agree for the NZ game. Not for the Aus game - even with no injuries, there should be 3-4 changes if Joe is doing things correctly. 1-2 experienced returning starters SOB/Healy/POM maybe. And 1-2 new experiments, Ringrose or Marchal l with Payne to 15, or Dillane to start maybe. Is Hendie likely to be available ? If so, then Hendie also.

• Advertisement

Agree for the NZ game. Not for the Aus game - even with no injuries, there should be 3-4 changes if Joe is doing things correctly. 1-2 experienced returning starters SOB/Healy/POM maybe. And 1-2 new experiments, Ringrose or Marchal l with Payne to 15, or Dillane to start maybe. Is Hendie likely to be available ? If so, then Hendie also.

I read this week that the match against Australia is actually more important than the second NZ match now as we would create history by beating the three SANZAR countries in one year as a Northern Hemisphere team.

Arguable though, as to me playing NZ is always the biggest game, bigger than our match against Argentina in the World Cup even.

Anyway, for the ranking points, for the history books, and for the Aussie challenge, which is in itself enough, we will not be experimenting whatsoever.
    The next two games may as well be our World Cup final and semi-final for the attitude we will have towards them.
    Only our best formation and bench will do.

That said, possibly SOB is the only player I could see ousting anyone from the starting 15.
    Dillane possibly is close but I don't see him ousting Ryan just yet.

After the last performance against NZ, every player that played should get a free pass for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm sorry but a backrow of Stander, SOB and Heaslip is just too good to not consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

.ak wrote: »
    I'm sorry but a backrow of Stander, SOB and Heaslip is just too good to not consider.

It is very appetising indeed. But think Vander's part in the win - Schmidt is very slow to drop winning players - and his tackling stats, may seem him hold on. A tackling maniac like him may be a critical choice in trying to shackle the ABs and force a serious game of it. I see Seanie coming on with 25 to go for JVDF.

SOB is an ideal "closer" as Joe Schmidt describes the impact subs that make a difference when they come on.
    Seán Cronin and Ultan Dillane would be another two.
    If fit Henderson would be a starter or a bench at least, but don't think he'll be ready for next week.
    All the other subs we have are potentially decent impact players on their day.

Also, we need our fittest team, simply vdF is fitter than SOB at the moment.
    Also SOB can cover all of the 3 back row positions very well from the bench, but that's besides the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Earls shouldn't be near the team. If Joe's dropping Gilroy from the bench, it should be either Marshall or TOH stepping up.

Earls shouldn't be near the team. If Joe's dropping Gilroy from the bench, it should be either Marshall or TOH stepping up.

Earls covers almost the entire backline. Think he is most likely for the 23 shirt

.ak wrote: »

JS made some comments last week about having the fittest team possible in Chicago. I think the same will apply next week. Id be surprised if its not Stander/VDF/Heaslip. Think SoB will bench as he offers more of an impact over the other options.

Totally disagree, thought Earls was next to Dillane for MOTM.
    He marked their best player well, and was dangerous every time he got the ball. Showed real acceleration and created a try out of a simple move with an excellent side-step and offload.
    He knocked on the offload from TOH, but perhaps the pass wasn't the best either.
    I thought he stood out and played his best match since the World Cup warm up match against Wales when he was outstanding at outside centre.

By comparison, I can't recall anything that Gilroy carried last night.

TOH was very good too, but Earls can cover centre so is a better 23 given the rest of our team. Zebo/Payne/Henshaw can all move to fullback.

I'd say Ringrose would be ahead of TOH for next week's match as we need wing and centre cover more than fullback cover.

All that is presupposing Payne at 13, if he went to 15 with Ringrose at 13 then TOH would be a good choice for 23.

Great to have these options to keep NZ guessing!

Not a chance it will be Marshall. Earls was a lot more impressive than Gilroy last night and while TOH had a very good game, so did Earls and his experience swings it. He also covers more positions than Ringrose (to test standard) therefore Earls is the obvious No.23 next week. Then again he might even start...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Should probably point out that Gilroy wasn't on the bench in Chicago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement