Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

All 5 of my outdoor Lily spots stopped working a few months ago.... they are over 2 years old so out of warranty! The fact they are all gone leads me to believe it’s the power supply, however it was always inside my shed....

I’ve seen a power supply on eBay for £29, but I’m reluctant to dump any more money into them especially if it’s not that.... but having initially spent over £500 on them, I kinda want them to last longer than 2 years..

Jesus that's poor, I'd get onto hue in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Any recommendations for zigbee compatible smart plugs. Looking for 4 of them for Christmas lights.
    Hue version are at least €120 for 4 and Innr are looking like roughly €90 for 4.

Any other people would recommend?
    I’ve got a pair of the Innr zigbee smart plugs a few months ago and they work very perfectly fine with the Hue system.

2nd vote for Innr ... also .. pricing isn't everything.

The amperage, that the smartplug can take also matters.

Example:
    - the Hue smartplug can only hand 10A. That's approx 2200W max.
    - the INNR smartplug can handle 13A. That's approx 2860W max.

And yes .. the INNR smartplugs work flawless on the Philips Hue hub. I have 2 of them and I've been using them for over 6 months now. Daily.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Thanks AndyBoBandy, newirishman & Marlow for all the feedback. Innr plugs just actually dropped in price yesterday to £32 for a set of 2 so I've gone with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Question on a routine I'm trying to configure..

I have an simple 2 step IFTTT routine setup that when my Ring Camera senses motion it turns on my Front Hue Lights...no issue there works fine...

But I want it to be able to turn off the Front Hue lights automatically after a couple of minutes so they don't say on. It is possible using the Hue App to turn off specific lights after a set time.

I know I can buy a sensor which will take care of it, but trying to use what I have..

Thanks..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ike wrote: »
    I want it to be able to turn off the Front Hue lights automatically after a couple of minutes so they don't say on. It is possible using the Hue App to turn off specific lights after a set time.

I don't think you can do anything in the Hue app to turn the lights off after say 5-10-15 minutes of being on unless you've a sensor.

Can you also trigger a 10 minute countdown (to off) with the same motion trigger that turns them on?

and if not a 10 minute countdown timer, how about ITTT triggers a new (2nd) routine that fades the lights to off over a 5/10 minute period?

If you select a Go To Sleep routine to be triggered with motion, it'll turn them on before fading them out to off.. maybe that could work

• Advertisement

I don't think you can do anything in the Hue app to turn the lights off after say 5-10-15 minutes of being on unless you've a sensor.

Can you also trigger a 10 minute countdown (to off) with the same motion trigger that turns them on?

and if not a 10 minute countdown timer, how about ITTT triggers a new (2nd) routine that fades the lights to off over a 5/10 minute period?

If you select a Go To Sleep routine to be triggered with motion, it'll turn them on before fading them out to off.. maybe that could work

Thanks for the suggestions! But it looks like IFTTT seems to be limited unless you go to the pro version (monthly subscription). I can't use the HUE Bulb Status to act as a trigger either and I cant put more than one action or other conditional logic.

I'll see if anything exists in the Hue Labs as a lot of people seem to be asking the same question i.e. turn off a ON light after a few minutes.

FYI - A couple of simple Alexa Routines sorted this!

When Ring detects Motion turn on lights
    When No motion detected turn off after 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ike wrote: »
    FYI - A couple of simple Alexa Routines sorted this!

When Ring detects Motion turn on lights
    When No motion detected turn off after 5 mins

nice one, thanks. I've some eufy cameras to set up this weekend - hadn't even considered that the outdoor hues could be integrated using routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Have 2 outdoor lights that are covered

Looking for hue options White only

Any other options other than hue that work with the hub and can be controlled by the app

Can see if any deals for prime day

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7qAm9kQbc7VXiw5j7

These do

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SQ1CHZZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_jREGFb9VWPTRQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AlanPG

Hi folks,
    I have had hue a few years now, a good few bulbs but I am looking forward to the 1500/1600 lumen bulb becoming available - would easily pick up 4 or 5 of them. I see they seem to be available in the US (in the A21 form), but finding it difficult to see when they might be available in Europe.
    Anyone any info on this?
    Thks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

Alkers wrote: »
    Just setup their button switch with my kitchen lights, bit of a faff but no issue. The switches are only 6e or 10e with z bulb which they also sell for a tenner

Yeah, I did the whole house with them before Christmas last year. I put a plain blanking plate over the existing switch & stuck the IKEA ones to that, so no issues with someone turning off the power to the lights.

Have a couple of IKEA smart plugs, & they now integrate fine with the hue system as well.
    (They were a pain with the Tradfri gateway. It needed periodic rebooting, so that’s disconnected)
    I set up an automation in HomeKit so if the main light in the room turns on/off then the sockets follow suit to switch lamps. If you use the dimmer, it can take a few seconds for the lamps switch, but use the app, or Siri & the response is immediate.

Think the sockets are €10 a pop. UTube has plenty of videos on how to set them up with hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Marlow wrote: »
    2nd vote for Innr
    Marlow, Out of interest. Do you use the Innr bulbs?
    I have a few of them and they have a tendency to randomly turn on in the middle of the night. Freaked me out the first time, but happens occasionally. I have a Phillips and other brand bulb that dont do the same all connected to a Hue

Some deals on the hue bulbs
    Interested in the gu10 but I've 2 spare hubs already don't need another one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0152WXDOA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_EtoHFbRTV2T5M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Eek,

Don't get those, get them on the Germany site...

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Philips-Ambiance-dimmable-controllable-compatible/dp/B07XZTGFW2/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=philips%2Bhue%2BGU10&qid=1602579453&s=lighting&sr=1-4&th=1

€89* for 3 GU10, and they are the new smaller ones, not the old bigger ones that might not fit your light fittings.

I signed up for a new German account with Irish address and credit card, got Prime for 99 cents for the week.

Go team!

* It's closer to €95 for 3 after some VAT + shipping but still a decent (relative) price!

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Eek,

Don't get those, get them on the Germany site...

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Philips-Ambiance-dimmable-controllable-compatible/dp/B07XZTGFW2/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=philips%2Bhue%2BGU10&qid=1602579453&s=lighting&sr=1-4&th=1

€89* for 3 GU10, and they are the new smaller ones, not the old bigger ones that might not fit your light fittings.

I signed up for a new German account with Irish address and credit card, got Prime for 99 cents for the week.

Go team!

* It's closer to €95 for 3 after some VAT + shipping but still a decent (relative) price!

I've 2 outdoor lights so not sure if I want to use the coloured option as i can live with ones for 25 if removed by anyone not that this would happen

So what is best for this?

I need more gu10 for the house but all my house has sets of 4 and I would have to buy 12 bulbs in total as no good having one room with regular led

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I need more gu10 for the house but all my house has sets of 4 and I would have to buy 12 bulbs in total as no good having one room with regular led

The IKEA ones are cheaper if you need that many, could be worth a look

BigAl81 wrote: »
    The IKEA ones are cheaper if you need that many, could be worth a look

Need to look at them rarely turn spots on except for the kitchen and there 10 in there. I've 2 hue regular bulbs there.

How are IKEA bulbs with the hub do they work and take it separate app?

Do they work with Alexa?

Googling now for research also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Need to look at them rarely turn spots on except for the kitchen and there 10 in there. I've 2 hue regular bulbs there.

How are IKEA bulbs with the hub do they work and take it separate app?

Do they work with Alexa?

Googling now for research also

yes the Ikea bulbs work with hue app and can be setup for routines and accessories(switches, sensors etc). They will not get updates when connected to the Philips hub (I don't even know if Ikea update as I have no ikea hub). And yes once added to the hue hub and to google home i can control with voice commands.

They wont work with any of the hue entertainment features and cant be extended to from an ambilight tv if either of those are things you want.

I have one colour Ikea e27 and put it outside. Its an old bulb now(2 years +) and it can sometimes not turn on with its routine or turn on but not on the right colour (I have to manually switch it on off with the wall switch to resolve). I also have an INNR e27 bulb outside about a meter from the ikea bulb and have less issues with that than the ikea fella.

I have no experience of the Ikea gu10's though. I moved my non hue bulbs outside after trying them inside and now prefer to choose only hue bulbs for in the house. I would probably use other brands outside as the price is lower but will keep the house hue for now.

yes the Ikea bulbs work with hue app and can be setup for routines and accessories(switches, sensors etc). They will not get updates when connected to the Philips hub (I don't even know if Ikea update as I have no ikea hub). And yes once added to the hue hub and to google home i can control with voice commands.

They wont work with any of the hue entertainment features and cant be extended to from an ambilight tv if either of those are things you want.

I have one colour Ikea e27 and put it outside. Its an old bulb now(2 years +) and it can sometimes not turn on with its routine or turn on but not on the right colour (I have to manually switch it on off with the wall switch to resolve). I also have an INNR e27 bulb outside about a meter from the ikea bulb and have less issues with that than the ikea fella.

I have no experience of the Ikea gu10's though. I moved my non hue bulbs outside after trying them inside and now prefer to choose only hue bulbs for in the house. I would probably use other brands outside as the price is lower but will keep the house hue for now.

Cheers

Just want them for turning them on and off in the kitchen and possible be able to dim. Not really interested in colour bulbs just standard bulbs

To work do you require the IKEA Hub? Wonder if I just buy the bulb without the IKEA hub would they work?

Got 2 GU10 Hue bulbs so waiting for them for outside so see if they fit and work ok

Thanks

Cheers

Just want them for turning them on and off in the kitchen and possible be able to dim. Not really interested in colour bulbs just standard bulbs

To work do you require the IKEA Hub? Wonder if I just buy the bulb without the IKEA hub would they work?

Got 2 GU10 Hue bulbs so waiting for them for outside so see if they fit and work ok

Thanks

No you don't need the ikea hub. But if ikea update their bulbs you will have no way of getting these updates like me now.

They should connect using the Philips hue app but if they don't the hue essentials app on android will get them connected to your hub easier than the hue app (i use android so don't know the itunes equivalent app). Once connected via hue essentials you can see them in the philips hue app.

• Advertisement

No you don't need the ikea hub. But if ikea update their bulbs you will have no way of getting these updates like me now.

They should connect using the Philips hue app but if they don't the hue essentials app on android will get them connected to your hub easier than the hue app (i use android so don't know the itunes equivalent app). Once connected via hue essentials you can see them in the philips hue app.

Cheers

On Android myself and use Alexa for turning them on and off so much easier or lazier :D Looking and trying to find if they work ok with Alexa but think you need the hub???

Still using the physical light switch also but easier to turn everything off vocally when heading to bed with routines set up thus looking to see if Alexa compatible(with out hub)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hi all, have been using Hue for some time now but only with the white bulbs. I bought some Colour bulbs this morning thanks to Amazon prime day :). Anyway my question is, can I set these to scroll through colours through the hue app? I have some of these as downlighters outside and want to maybe add a bit of colour over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Go to the Hue labs section within the app and there are various formula's there that you can use

Hi all, have been using Hue for some time now but only with the white bulbs. I bought some Colour bulbs this morning thanks to Amazon prime day :). Anyway my question is, can I set these to scroll through colours through the hue app? I have some of these as downlighters outside and want to maybe add a bit of colour over Christmas.

Not with the philips hue app.

You can use the hue essentials app (android app) where you can trial these features. But I think you will need to use the in app purchases to make it trigger from the hub rather than from your phone.

There may be other apps that do it but I like the hue essentials app and used unwanted credit to buy all the features.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Halloween app, Christmas app etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Anyone use the Outdoor Lucca lights? I'm tempted to bite with the motion sensor. Comes with E27 white bulb but I can stick a coloured one in whenever I want I presume or are they a smaller E27? Anybody have these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Unless there has been a major improvement in the IKEA lights I wouldn’t use them mixed with hue. I binned mine. They wouldn’t pair in the same room as the hub. About 20ft apart had to have it right beside the hub to pair. Then the light would randomly flash. Which was really annoying.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Unless there has been a major improvement in the IKEA lights I wouldn’t use them mixed with hue. I binned mine. They wouldn’t pair in the same room as the hub. About 20ft apart had to have it right beside the hub to pair. Then the light would randomly flash. Which was really annoying.

That's my worry

All the Hue gu10 are sold with hub and individually they are an arm and a leg.

See how things go later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

shanec1928 wrote: »

I have 8 IKEA GU10 in my kitchen, three in my hall with a hue motion sensor and another IKEA bulb in the landing with another hue motion sensor with no issues. They work great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Just received the first set of Lucca outdoor lights and other than an alankey to open the back of the light and put in the bulb there are no screws mounting bracket etc...I'm sure this is not correct and am just wondering if anyone else has fitted these or had a similar experience...

Advertisement