Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭visatorro

It's very hard to fire someone. But it's probably twice as hard to replace someone.

Lot of the fairy jobs could be done in 4 days handy. Problem is they want 5 days pay. Electrician was telling me between between holidays, back holidays, and sick leave he has to be prepared to pay staff for forty days a year. Country is fucked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Dairy farming can't really compete for Jobs like that can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’d love for the Commission to get a rude awakening, but I’ll wager it won’t be the Dutch.
    The power of the Commission supercedes national laws. People should be aware of that before they attack the Minister because EU laws/regs/standards are his responsibility to enforce.

Proposals are being bandied about for member states to give 5% of GDP for 5yrs to get the European army up and running. If there’s going to be a revolt, it’ll be on that…considering the likes of Ireland spend 4.7% on health, can you imagine the drain on resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’d be all for people in jobs getting proper treatment. Scrap zero hour contracts, give every worker their required holidays, strict hours etc etc.
    Workers have several industries supported on their backs..industries that can well afford to pay them properly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

You could just tell people what to do one time - the Church, politicians, factory/business owners, strong farmers, etc. But then the image of those people being better than everyone else faded. Bad behaviour was hushed up before but then it emerged everywhere. New tech and new types of jobs arrived in parallel.

You can’t just tell people what to do anymore. You have to lead by example. Not just individually. There has to be someone who has respect in society (like the above groups used to have). It’s not enough to expect people to do as I say anymore and there’s no one leading by example.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

It was the era of the influencers..The Bank Manager, The Priest, The Sargent, The Headmaster. They spoke, and what they said was the fact. Very few had any other way of forming an opinion for themselves other than from what they heard from these pillars of society.

What a change it is now? Influencers galore on social media the whole good, bad and the ugly.

Were at the point now that it's very very hard to make out what to believe from any source..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The issue was he did not soil test. Lads should have been away since last summer. Had soil test done for farm in Feb 2023, had to get the bit extra done this February. My problem with the new place is the amount of lime, P and K that I need.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭stanflt

bit of reality for lads

gdt is now the same as October 22

tirlan we’re paying 51.08 cpl plus 0.5 cpl sustainable payment and an input support of 7.95cpl

Let’s just digest thar

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:EU:b616a936-22ca-410d-8793-273d3498a689

• Advertisement

Mother of God I think I'm going to be ill😒🤢

Where did you get that info? Are you a subscriber to GDT? Is the historical data available elsewhere other than on GDT?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Agriland had it up the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭pureza

Our farmer owned CoOp is really looking after its owners in a very special way aren't they,pocketing those profits so we won't do anything irresponsible with them that might jepordise management pay

It is so endearing of them,we should be so glad we have them

Special mention to the various advisory councils,who are so in touch with their fellow farming community that they endorse this endearment

I propose that we all get together and arrange a collective thank you to our dear leaders

We should perhaps erect statue's of our chairman and board at all agri store branches with no doubt suggested by the council's,as soon as possible,a letter sent out to all suppliers offering a 0.2cpl value advance milk or grain payment in the form of rose petals delivered to all suppliers, to be scattered in front of our dear leaders at every opportunity

If things work out,our dear leaders having been canonised by the council's,will hopefully in our best interests pay 50% of milk price in the form of Tirlán agri vouchers

Very hard not to be very disillusioned at it all atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

coops are a way off where they where …they’ve got too smart for there own good ….clouding what the milk base price should be with top ups /support payments ….sustainability payments have turned into a joke .Arrabawn insist you must buy a good chunk of prot fertilisers from them solely to get the full payment …..forcing suppliers to buy from them has nothing to do with sustainability …there using it to shore up there own trading divisions

Board members get far too comfortable in there positions too …you hear lots at elections but that’s it very hard shift lots of them out too because politics comes into play ….going to be some moving and shaking with coops ion next few years …some will fold and there will be more mergers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Current gdt equates to 44 cent a litre base price, european futures at the minute circa 47 cent, intresting snippet was Arla last year paid circa 8 cent over the average gdt price for 2023...

Processing costs and lack of supply to maximise plants are co-ops issue this year not weak markets

They didn't exactly say that. The article said that we are now at out highest since Oct 22. It doesn't say how far off it we are.

i can find data anywhere thats not behind a paywall to see how fsrcwe ate off it at presesnt, but we are not equal to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭farmertipp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭jaymla627

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/domestic-milk-intake-down-81m-litres-in-april-cso/

when you do the maths on the above theirs roughly 90 million euro after been lost on-farm up to the end of April in lost milk sales versus 2022/2023, our circa 55 euro a cow….

You could easily add an extra 250kgs of concentrate probably gone in aswell, at another 80 euro a cow, probably talking nearly a quater of a billion not slushing around in dairy farmers accounts they where banking on after last years prices/weather….

You'd hope co-ops will put 2 cent on may milk to help the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭older by the day

You would notice it in the current account alright,

butter heading for 7000 ton. fats at all time high. inefficiency at processor level and dead beat boards our biggest problem. we have boardmen who are on cusp of retirement or share farming. completely wrong that has beens are making decisions. also management well past best in dg. board men involved in appointing new ceo arnt up to it. one right dope in it

There's no one to stop them being there. For all the giving out we do no one available to go into those positions anymore who'll make a difference

board members have a lot of power and influence and can be hard shift them at elections aa lots of talking goes on in background to ensure support ….younger people with interest just get frustrated with this and it turns them off ….board terms on lots of cases are too long as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Have been involved in the past and there's a couple of comments I d .I d make the maximum time allowed on boards 10 years and no coming back a second time.but there is a problem with getting people to put their names foward too.too often people b#t#h about the board but then don't put themselves out there for selection.the more people that pass through the board the better

I’m involved with my coop ….very very hard for younger members who aren’t afraid to voice there opinion get a seat …..politics and cronyism at elections is rife ….then you throw in fairly hefty trading requirements to hold your seat ….no issue with a trading requirement for a board seat as long as it’s fair ….there is an onus on coop to offer competitive prices and quality products ….younger and progressive candidates don’t want to hamstrung there business by been forced to trade …..we have lost a lot of very good vocal members from our rep committee in last year due to this …..in some of these cases it was a convienent way of moving on a few people who poke holes and ask difficult questions that top brass would prefer weren’t asked …..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭older by the day

I have great time for my local coop, very helpful but I see in recent times according to the annual accounts the wage bill is gone through the roof. Then the days of old lorrys are gone too. To replace a couple of artics every year and upkeep equipment to make things legal is massive money. I only a self employed small farmer, doing all my own work except silage and its hard to stay profitable not to mind big businesses Nowadays. The costs have runaway in Ireland

it's getting to that time of the month again. hopefully a decent increase coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

based on interm payment it doesnt look like an increase…..seems like were down a cent/cent and a half….im guessing makie-upie weather payment has been dropped

Advertisement