Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Hes leaving the cap of the tank now, and driving off, milk advisor actually caught him in the act when they called out, to see if my yard was a problem, hes ment to be replaced, but hasnt happened yet, he pulled down a lads wall this weekend, pulling out of his yard, after collecting his milk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It seems to be a pan european thing though.one wonders will the EU react or will they continue to impose restrictions that are making production uncompetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

French production has been dropping for years. The only changes to.‘restrictions’ are some fiddling around calf welfare etc.
    The nitrates etc are in place for decades so it’s nothing to do with ‘restrictions’.
    Farmers unwilling to work for low pay and low quality of life are more the issue. Sons/daughters just don’t want to milk cows..anywhere that the farm isn’t suitable for anything else seem to be putting in robots. Suckler farms are disappearing almost as fast as dairy. Huge swing to cereals probably due to quality of life decisions?

The new dutch coalation goverment could be intresting, if they follow through and tell the Eu to basically get f**ked re nitrates and water quality etc, combined with the up and coming EU elections leading to a lesser greener make-up and the watering down/scrapping of the green agenda, it could reset the balance

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Jack98

The greens will be very lucky to return one mep to europe and that’s even 50/50 at the minute. The only fear is that when they greens in Leinster house see how badly they’ll preform in the Europeans that they’ll try ram through every policy they can before the next general election here. I think the Green Party race is well and truly run just like after the crash but they will be back at some stage.

• Advertisement

nature restoration law is their number one goal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I disagree with the Greens goose being cooked in the Dáil. They aren't being elected by the likes who frequent this forum. There's a good chance they'll return near enough the same numbers as before, and be once again, the most powerful party when a government is being formed as all parties will want them on side to form a government.

Either way, they will still try ram through as much as they can. Over on the green policies forum last year there were Green supporters who openly admitted getting as much into law as possible and even if they aren't in government, the courts will decide on compliance. It went over their head that the next government could change the law.

The Dutch situation is being closely watched here.
    Scholz (DE) and Macron (FR) told the EU commission to close the border with Ukraine…and they were told where to go!

It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the Dutch tell the Commission to Feck off.
    My money in on the Commission anyhow.

Despite it appearing that every farmer just hates the greens for existing I think they’ll have a very hard time returning the same amount of seats to the dail next time around. They will return the usual suspects in the leafy suburbs but the ordinary Joe soaps won’t vote for a green next time around, the sentiment with the middle to lower class seems to be that the greens answer to climate change is tax and more tax and people are sick of this.

The climate and environment will be very far down the priority list of most voters come next general election, immigration has even taken over health and housing in the pecking order so I don’t see the greens commending much of a vote and they’re polling terrible of late.

Theirs a few well respected commenators, after doing podcasts re the immigration issue, Ireland is f**ked to put it mildly if it stays in the Eu as great britain is now a destation for immigrants to transit through to Ireland and once they get in here we are responsible for them under Eu law, the tories are openly lauding this as their new rwanda soloution

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

My money would be on the Commission too.

They can't afford for anyone to fly solo in case it encourages other countries to also become more "nationalist" - that is, to look after their own interests rather than that of EU Inc. and the various industry lobbies.

I'd be guessing the Commission will be quiet for now, lest they give electoral ammunition to any radical types (as they see them) before the elections next month. But come Sept/Oct, they'll be back out issuing orders again.

It's hard to know if there'll be much intervention on food/agri prices when the new European Parliament is elected. They're a bit like the TDs here - useful for some media entertainment but not in the room when the civil servants (our Commission) meet with lobbyists. I hate to say it, but unless the co-ops and their multinational parent companies lobby for supports to farmers, then it's unlikely Francie or any other farm leader will get much hearing in Dublin or Brussels.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

You can see the Greens in Government today here - https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/tds/?tab=party&term=%2Fie%2Foireachtas%2Fhouse%2Fdail%2F33&party=%2Fie%2Foireachtas%2Fparty%2Fdail%2F33%2FGreen_Party

10/12 of these represent urban areas (Dublin, Limerick City, Waterford). Each of these is in with a good chance of getting in again as, apart from tax, their policies has little to no impact on their constituents daily lives and those same constituents would be blaming agriculture for all the woes, including higher taxes and costs! Also, not included on that list is Pippa Hackett who wasn't elected yet is around the cabinet table with input to DAFM. This part really annoys me where an unelected politician can be in such a position, but I know it's constitutionally allowed and not the first time it was done. Still annoys me.

Climate/environment won't be down the list as it's constant fear and doom peddling everyday. It's kept in the public consciousness. Even this morning on Newstalk there was a climate scientist telling us all to reduce meat for pets as a step to lower emissions. She also got a dig in at farmers and agriculture for the amount of carbon released. She said 27kg per kg of beef. But never mentioned how much carbon that kg of beef captured to give the net figure.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/it-does-sound-bonkers-should-pets-go-vegan-for-the-planet-1727165

We're going off on a tangent on this thread! Milk price is great these days

Thoroughly agree.

The Commission is pretty much an extension of the Green Lobby and they certainly won’t be dictated to!

what can the commission actually do? Their own policies have lead to right of centre parties getting into power over the last crowd who lapped up all their policies and regulations…

The dutch pay in alot more than they get back from the EU, its not like the orban situation where funding could be withheld and weaponized, will they threaten explusion from the bloc i doubt it….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭older by the day

That's what I said, to a local candidate from FF. Il give FF the same support they gave me the last four years and I only hope that you won't do more damage to rural Ireland before the general election.

It's only now hitting fellas, I had an old lad on to me that he only learned that he can only spread one pallet of urea and one pallet of 27.2.5.5, he sells a fair bit of silage in the winter.

He is going soil testing now.

My money is on them returning 6 or less tds next time around they are simply polling too low, majority of public do not support them and you can come back to me and tell me how wrong I was after the next GE but imo there’s just no way in hell they return the same seats.

They are running a td for mayor in limerick and he’s a 66/1 shot to be elected says a lot about their popularity currently.

When the Commission can tell the Germans and the French to get lost, what hope have the Dutch?

Holland out of Europe would be a bigger fcuk up than brexit. Ditto Ireland.

the germans/french where trying to get the commission to reverse their open borders ukrainian policy, the Dutch will simply refuse to comply our enforce commission regulations, what will they do to punish them, what levers can they use?

If they go hard on the Dutch it just reenforces the view that the Eu commission is a autocratic instituation that dosent respect eu elected goverments and their policies, and europe is controlled by unelected upper class politcians with a clear agenda

I hope yer right. Honestly do. I have this nagging feeling they'll be back in power, whatever TDs they get elected. The departments are all balls deep in environmental shite that they can't scratch their holes without producing some environmental impact statement on the activity. The Department of the Environment hold so much sway now it's unreal. Every other department is answerable to them via carbon budgets and the like. Plus the civil service has been loaded up with green/eco people to boot. Even if the party aren't in government, their sympathisers are still employed there and the NGOs will have the ears of the new government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭visatorro

Lad told me derogation will stay at 220 because tirlan had invested that much money in processing. They won't let it drop because they'd loose too much money. If that's true they'd have a better chance than the ordinary Joe or union of making an impression with rule makers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭grass10

It'll take a lot more than tirlan what are the so called farm orgs doing to keep Derogation the ifa joke crowd go deafening quiet once their election is over they all need to lobby together and do it in time not like they always do come out protesting after the decision is made lads need to stop paying all the farm orgs subsidies until they get organised properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

It'll be interesting to see how the plethora of candidates with nationalist agendas get on and if all the fascist-lite rhetoric is indeed a true reflection of the general population or just the cranks being noisier.

Unless they can pay-off the epa, the game is up, they needed to be on top of the derogation timebomb 5 years ago, they where up until recently fairly convinced, theyd keep getting milk regardless of the increasing pressures on-farm….

The pennys only dropped recently they could be short half a billion plus litres of milk than they had forecasted into 2025 and beyond, at a committe meeting in January they reckoned supply would be 3-5% up on 2023, its currently 9% down

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Weather is still the number 1 reason production is down and nitrates is a close second.there isn't much gra for more cows though 8n too many places because people have lost the confidence in the potential margin and there's a feeling that if you invest now the rug could be pulled out from under your feet with some new regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

The gloss has worn off the milking game, covid has reduced people's interest for work across the board and dairy is no different.

Starting to hear the stories about lads owing money and people not getting paid..who knows how much is true..lots getting out of milk by all accounts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭green daries

Lots of lads looking for money and can't get anything both farmers and suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭older by the day

Agree fully, weather makes or breaks a year. Your talking 18 degrees for ground to heat up and grass to spring up. No matter what you spread, you can't beat the heat.

Also every bovine thrives in fine weather. Lying in pools of cold water don't produce milk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Seeing it with lots of people, everyone taking holidays, sick days etc. It seems endemic these days, people are gone soft. If ye can get away with it...

Post edited by kevthegaff on

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Big time, don't care what anyone says but productivity is dropping fast..maybe ai will sort a lot of it. Early finish on a Friday came in at my off farm work last year after a long struggle.

Now a lot of em are looking for a 4 day week, genuinely wouldn't like to run an SME in Ireland today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭green daries

Why wouldn't they when they can get away with it the government is gone soft with all that's been forked out ..... there's savage holidays, sick pay, time off,working from home, **** off home when you feel like it in government jobs at this stage. I text a neighbour who had something belonging to me that I wanted back for tmrw (told him there was no rush) he replied it was in his van at work and he'd drop It after work. I said great stuff thanks. He dropped it off at half two ......day punched

Advertisement