Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Any board member I've talked to about it was against it

It's coming from the top down

If they haven't got the capacity what can be done? It's the reality of the situation unfortunately

Outside of the planning hold up and with the seasonal supply we’ve been heavily advised to go ,sooner rather than later this was going to happen we can’t stay increasing peak supply and stay dumping product into same core commodities .maby management and board members want to feed the narrative you e outlined out and this year with a very strong milk price lots of suppliers will barely take notice
    Coops want year round milk suppliers should make them pay sufficiently at shoulders if they want to go that way .this is a Glanbia problem now but sooner rather than later every coop will be in this position unless our supply pattern changes

Did management not see this situation arising and if so it's shocking poor performance to allow it to happen. If they did why were new entrants that were not co op members allowed to supply milk recently? Surely the stainless steel that co op members had invested in for years such have been used to allow current members to grow? Hard questions that need to be asked.

Short term thinking ,and now the supply is there they can back suppliers into a corner ....unless they stand up and fight back rather than just giving out on an online forum

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Short term thinking ,and now the supply is there they can back suppliers into a corner ....unless they stand up and fight back rather than just giving out on an online forum

Iv already contacted board members and management. Emails sent off. Very annoyed at this tbh.

Iv already contacted board members and management. Emails sent off. Very annoyed at this tbh.

Fair play keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairygold up to 33.35 base price. 0.65 qa and sustainability bonus and 2 cent Feb bonus to be added after solids adjustment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

whelan2 wrote: »
    Local shop sells 2 litres of strathroy milk for 1.80

In a way this is where it all went wrong. It over twenty years ago now that one of the co-op's broke ranks. I think it was for Tesco's and agreed to supply them 2 litre own branded jug that they sold for 99c/L. At the same time the big co-ops Kerry and Golden vale at the time in my area upped the price of a litre in the small shops to over 70 pence a litre. We had three small kids that drank milk. If you called to a supermarket and bought 4 two liter jugs and a couple of slice pans you were saving about nearly 3 pounds.

Trying to close the door now the horse has bolted is stupid. The co-op's must have taught people were stupid. They crucified the small local shops and now are complaining about a supermarket using a dairy name on own brand milk. When they continually upped the the price to smaller shops they had no choice but to source milk from another supplier. Stratroy saw the gap and filled it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Lidl are replying to tweets on Twitter about this. Seems the milk for both is from the south, but as it's processed up North they can't put the NDC logo on it. I think that's the gist. The ad is a bit stupid in my opinion. They are whinging about the name of the brand on the label. I don't see how it matters personally what it's called as long as the milk is bought at a fair price from the farm
    its more bull****e from the ifa under orders from glanbia . so my milk which is from south wexford is not irish now. they have always spread ****e about strathroy and their suppliers in wexford because we dared to stand up against them .

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

whelan2 wrote: »
    Local shop sells 2 litres of strathroy milk for 1.80

great milk if i say so myself

its more bull****e from the ifa under orders from glanbia . so my milk which is from south wexford is not irish now. they have always spread ****e about strathroy and their suppliers in wexford because we dared to stand up against them .

And the ifa meant to support all farmers ....well if u are an Irish farmer supplying strathroy or an Arrabawn /aurivo liquid supplier supplying Lidl/Aldi they don’t support u Glanbia supply Tesco ...are they exempt or are they afraid to rock the boat for Glanbia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭jaymla627

And the ifa meant to support all farmers ....well if u are an Irish farmer supplying strathroy or an Arrabawn /aurivo liquid supplier supplying Lidl/Aldi they don’t support u Glanbia supply Tesco ...are they exempt or are they afraid to rock the boat for Glanbia

Former ifa dairy chair leaving role to walk straight onto glanbia board tells it's own story to be honest....

• Advertisement

Campaign was definitely too targeted. For some reason IFA target Lidl/ Aldi more than the like of Tesco/ Dines/ SuperValu. What is more annoying is they are up in arms over this when milk prices are fairly ok and rising but beef prices on the floor for last 3 years and they have SFA interest in that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭alps

But aurivo do .....

Yes, and Arrabawn may do so again...

However, the ONLY way to het back in, is to undercut the other suppliers at the next tender...

This is the problem with the multiples own brand..there is no differentiation for the consumer...

The consumer just buys Coolrue Creamery Milk each time...they've no idea where it came from and no way of differentiating it between suppliers...

Without differentiation, the supplier has no other means of securing the sale of the product, other than to undercut the previous tender.

There is no future for this product in the current circumstances other than the processor with the leanest cost structure.....Strathroy..

alps wrote: »
    Yes, and Arrabawn may do so again...

However, the ONLY way to het back in, is to undercut the other suppliers at the next tender...

This is the problem with the multiples own brand..there is no differentiation for the consumer...

The consumer just buys Coolrue Creamery Milk each time...they've no idea where it came from and no way of differentiating it between suppliers...

Without differentiation, the supplier has no other means of securing the sale of the product, other than to undercut the previous tender.

There is no future for this product in the current circumstances other than the processor with the leanest cost structure.....Strathroy..

In theory that is grand Alps. It is interesting that Kerry group got out of liquid milk selling for both it's Kerry group and Golden vale milk brands.

However look at Glanbia trying to undercut Bord Bia with its Truly Grass Fed brand. At the end of the day it was a Co-op that broke ranks with supplying the first own brand milk.

As I posted earlier they aniliated there own brands at the same time by I creasing there own price to small retailers. What were consummers to do pay 72p/L for Avanmore milk or 99p for 2L of own brand milk from exactly the same supplier

I remember a incident at work at the same time a couple of lads from a farming ( suckler's) background were on that it could not be the same milk. Having a laugh I told them that the milk was now separated that this was the milk from the two hind tits. One lads bought it. FFS there are high paid lads running these co-ops and this is the way the act.

AFAIR it was Glanbia that open the door back then to ownbranding maybe I am wrong

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The gas thing is i m not sure branded milk will return more to the farmer than own brand.the key to this is the pricing of the contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

All it was is the IFA doing a favour or being pushed into doing a favour for one processor and it has backfired badly, mainly on the IFA.
    BTW the manufacturer incl their number, is always on the Aldi and Lidl own brand, no so in some other multiples.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Water John wrote: »
    All it was is the IFA doing a favour or being pushed into doing a favour for one processor and it has backfired badly, mainly on the IFA.
    BTW the manufacturer incl their number, is always on the Aldi and Lidl own brand, no so in some other multiples.

What I can't understand is that there's three dairy commitees in IFA and that ad would've had to have the blessing of the three of them numbering maybe 80 or 90 dairy farmers,
    That ad is a childish effort if it wasn't so serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The problem is lidl and aldi milk is branded coming from a fictional creamary .
    Super valu ,dunnes ,londis all own brands display ndc logo

cute geoge wrote: »

Dunne milk is the least transparent of them all....

Irish milk from Convoy Dairies Co. Donegal...

Stand to be corrected, but they've no farmer suppliers..

Where's that milk from?

Only the milk processor number on the Aldi ones anyway John....need to head to Google to make out where the milk was processed, and at that, you dontbknow where the milk was produced....

Is there some kind of a rub going on here between manufacturing processors and liquid processors? There seems to be a big push in the manufacturing side that all milk on the island be considered Irish, as this solves the brexit marketing problem for those cross border coops, and the anti North sentiment you get from the liquid side..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭green daries

Which multiples don't have the number John genuine question thanks

• Advertisement

Which multiples don't have the number John genuine question thanks

I'll have to check that, as it's a few weeks ago and don't want to be incorrect.

cute geoge wrote: »

Yes your correct on the fictional brand as the others brand it as there own store labels ie tesco supervalue dunnes stores own label is snow daries but it is as far as I know an actual dairy

The big own goal imo was the tacking on of the ndc logo bit it wasn't necessary and confused the message of the add

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The more this goes on it looks like some sort of job backed by Glanbia as a shot across the bow towards other processors. Which is ironic because I don't think I've ever seen Glanbia branded milk. So this ****e talk about Coolbawn and the other fictional name is no worse than selling under Avonmore.

Where's that milk from?

Ya apologies your correct they are buying milk from others and supplying that way very shady effort always has been with dunnes

In theory that is grand Alps. It is interesting that Kerry group got out of liquid milk selling for both it's Kerry group and Golden vale milk brands.

However look at Glanbia trying to undercut Bord Bia with its Truly Grass Fed brand. At the end of the day it was a Co-op that broke ranks with supplying the first own brand milk.

As I posted earlier they aniliated there own brands at the same time by I creasing there own price to small retailers. What were consummers to do pay 72p/L for Avanmore milk or 99p for 2L of own brand milk from exactly the same supplier

I remember a incident at work at the same time a couple of lads from a farming ( suckler's) background were on that it could not be the same milk. Having a laugh I told them that the milk was now separated that this was the milk from the two hind tits. One lads bought it. FFS there are high paid lads running these co-ops and this is the way the act.

AFAIR it was Glanbia that open the door back then to ownbranding maybe I am wrong

Ya glanbia were going to break the other coops and control the market ...........
    Only problem was connacht gold at the time decided to have a go at them and lost their shirts on a tesco contract they also sent lorry loads of cheap milk to Cork and limerick and glanbia returned the favour it was a s***t show
    It's been downwards from there

Where's that milk from?

Dunnes used to buy NI milk for ages. They may still do. I remember years back the way the milk taste used to change during the winter. You would get the tang that beet causes in milk from it. My young lads used to notice it and we would never buy it.
    The more this goes on it looks like some sort of job backed by Glanbia as a shot across the bow towards other processors. Which is ironic because I don't think I've ever seen Glanbia branded milk. So this ****e talk about Coolbawn and the other fictional name is no worse than selling under Avonmore.

I think Avonmore is the Glanbia brand. I know they bought the Kerry group liquid milk buisness if I remember right.

Slava Ukrainii

Avonmore is the glanbia brand though and is a registered brand name of a company that exists ....ie its not fictional at best and downright lies in my eyes but it seems its legal unfortunately

Kerry bought Ballinahina dairies in Cork, the whole lot then went to Glanbia. Dairygold bought CMP in Cork and closed it down.
    They all keep saying they can't make money at it, and complain then when the Cunninghams come in and supply.

Kerry bought Ballinahina dairies in Cork, the whole lot then went to Glanbia. Dairygold bought CMP in Cork and closed it down.
    They all keep saying they can't make money at it, and complain then when the Cunninghams come in and supply.

Kerry bough he whole Goldenvale brands and milk pool. They sold the Goldenvale liquid milk business to Glanbia along with the Dawn milk business.....Now they are trying to sell he whole milk processing business to Kerry Co-op. They only have Golden vale bought twenty years ago

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Ya can't disagree with you there but the sad fact is that it's not cunnighams that tender the lowest price I'm not having a pop at them and I think the problems are with both the supermarkets and the coops who are playing with someone else's margins its easy math's say 5to 6 cents margin for the coops over processing Costs and sure we will give what's left to the farmers they've gotten away with that approach for over a decade now

Advertisement