Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster v Maori 11-11-2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭phog

If Bleyendaal is being 'managed' then I'm a bit concerned. There's no game until Treviso at home in two weeks' time and Munster don't need him for that. That said, December is going to be a brutal month for Munster.

- Glasgow (A)
    - Leicester (H)
    - Leicester (A)
    - Leinster (H)
    - Connacht (A)

And possibly 3 European games on the trot in January too. I can see why he might be rested but I'd have loved to see him feature tomorrow evening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What's the story with the socks? Will they be wearing their club/school sock on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What's the story with the socks? Will they be wearing their club/school sock on the day?
    Yes. Munster held a competition for all clubs and schools to enter. There is 15 clubs and the 8 A schools who were named as winners

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

that was the plan anyway. i presume it's still going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Our locks and out-half are a concern but every other position - bar the bench - seems okay.
    Hope Oliver makes a big impression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Our locks and out-half are a concern but every other position - bar the bench - seems okay.
    Hope Oliver makes a big impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Was hoping Arnold would make the bench but he'll probably need a few more AIL games to get up to speed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yes. Munster held a competition for all clubs and schools to enter. There is 15 clubs and the 8 A schools who were named as winners

So the players aren't actually affiliated to the clubs/schools

So the players aren't actually affiliated to the clubs/schools
    Not to those specific clubs but some of the players will have played with some of the clubs/schools
    James Cronin began playing in Ballincollig but played a few seasons at under 18 and 20 level with Highfield. Copeland is currently affiliated to Munsters.
    John Foley came through Shannon.
    Niall Scannell went to Pres, Ronan O Mahony was in Castletroy, Sweetnam was in Bandon Grammar and Goggin went to Munchins

Are Cronin, Archer, O'Donnell, Copeland, Taute, Keatley not seasoned players?

Now that the team has been named and looking back I think we had a better team in 2008, some of the 2008 had won H/Cups, hard to match that experience.

2008 Pos 2016
    Tim Ryan 1 James Cronin
    Frankie 2 Niall Scannell
    Pucciariello 3 Stephen Archer
    MOD 4 John Madigan
    D Ryan 5 Darren O'Shea
    Leamy 6 Tommy O'Donnell©
    Ronan 7 Conor Oliver
    Coughlan 8 Robin Copeland
    Stringer 9 Duncan Williams
    Warwick 10 Ian Keatley
    Mafi 11 Ronan O'Mahony
    Tipoki 12 Rory Scannell
    Barry Murphy 13 Jaco Taute
    Dowling 14 Darren Sweetnam
    Dougie 15 Andrew Conway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    Now that the team has been named and looking back I think we had a better team in 2008, some of the 2008 had won H/Cups, hard to match that experience.

2008 Pos 2016
    Tim Ryan 1 James Cronin
    Frankie 2 Niall Scannell
    MOD 4 John Madigan
    D Ryan 5 Darren O'Shea
    Leamy 6 Tommy O'Donnell©
    Ronan 7 Conor Oliver
    Warwick 10 Ian Keatley
    Mafi 11 Ronan O'Mahony
    Tipoki 12 Rory Scannell
    Dougie 15 Andrew Conway

Cronin, Scannell, Freddie, MOD, Ryan, Leamy, TOD, Coughlan;
    Stringer, Warwick, Sweetnam, Mafi, Tipoki, Howlett, Conway

Now that's a team! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Did Mafi play on the left wing for that game? Forgot that

leakyboots wrote: »
    Did Mafi play on the left wing for that game? Forgot that

Me too but having Barry Murphy and Tipoki meant we were well stocked for centre in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

phog wrote: »

2008 Pos 2016
    Tim Ryan 1 James Cronin
    Frankie 2 Niall Scannell
    MOD 4 John Madigan
    D Ryan 5 Darren O'Shea
    Leamy 6 Tommy O'Donnell©
    Ronan 7 Conor Oliver
    Warwick 10 Ian Keatley
    Mafi 11 Ronan O'Mahony
    Tipoki 12 Rory Scannell
    Dougie 15 Andrew Conway

shows how munsters depth has fallen. When you consider there would have been a lot more involved with ireland missing back then as well

FrannoFan wrote: »
    shows how munsters depth has fallen. When you consider there would have been a lot more involved with ireland missing back then as well

G'way out of that - we've 10 players involved with Ireland. You've the squad named for the Maoris and fellas like Dave Foley, Kleyn, Duncan Casey, Saili, Dave O'Callaghan (all likely starters) out injured and then Sherry, Bohane, Arnold who'd be in with a shout or bench spot.

These games can be when fellas announce themselves.. Donnacha Ryan used the ABs game to get into the Ireland squad v Argentina a week or two later. Conor Murray v Australia. Nagle's performance in the same game is still the main reference point when people talk about him.

Looking forward to seeing John Madigan, Conor Oliver and Wooton in action, as well as our new signings.

EDIT: just to add, a third of that 2008 team was NIQ

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Nagle's performance in the same game is still the main reference point when people talk about him.

And he got himself into Leinster. I see what you mean about it being a launching pad to better things :D

Adbrowne wrote: »
    And he got himself into Leinster. I see what you mean about it being a launching pad to better things :D

Zing! :D

I don't think any Munster fans would begrudge him his gametime in The Pale, good to see him realising some of his potential and still plenty of time for him to grow further. Look at Billy Holland!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Is this on TV anywhere?

Is this on TV anywhere?
    Live on Eir Sports

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Live on Eir Sports

Ugh, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Live on Eir Sports

As I said earlier I don't know anyone here in NI who subscribes to Premier Sports (Eir sport 1 is part of the package). That doesn't mean there are none who will be able to watch this match here but I guess it will have a miniscule audience north of the border which is a real pity. What is more Premier Sports have rights to France's autumn internationals so even with me subscribing to both BT/Sky I still cannot see all the rugby internationals!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Anyone know of any pubs in Dublin city centre that will be showing it? I was thinking Sinnotts. Good bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

http://stats.allblacks.com/asp/teamsheet.asp?MT_ID=2164

Interesting review of the 2008 match.
    10 Irish players were involved with Ireland apparently.
    It also has Barry Murphy on the wing and Mafi at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

http://stats.allblacks.com/asp/teamsheet.asp?MT_ID=2164

Interesting review of the 2008 match.
    10 Munster players were involved with Ireland apparently.
    It also has Barry Murphy on the wing and Mafi at 12.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UAj-YPm0A8Q/TkizXn3Pa8I/AAAAAAAAhFg/ZK9Tl6BNErA/s640/Munster%252Bv%252BNew%252BZealand%252BrZjDbeBJEYwl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

G'way out of that - we've 10 players involved with Ireland. You've the squad named for the Maoris and fellas like Dave Foley, Kleyn, Duncan Casey, Saili, Dave O'Callaghan (all likely starters) out injured and then Sherry, Bohane, Arnold who'd be in with a shout or bench spot.

These games can be when fellas announce themselves.. Donnacha Ryan used the ABs game to get into the Ireland squad v Argentina a week or two later. Conor Murray v Australia. Nagle's performance in the same game is still the main reference point when people talk about him.

Looking forward to seeing John Madigan, Conor Oliver and Wooton in action, as well as our new signings.

EDIT: just to add, a third of that 2008 team was NIQ

Hang on, do you think tonight's team is as good as the 2008 team? Miles apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I'm a little sad that I'm missing this game :( Memories of the 2008 challenge game come flooding back.

Some number of lads that look to be around eleven years old in that video. Baby Kieran Reid and Donnacha Ryan in particular.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Anyone know of any pubs in Dublin city centre that will be showing it? I was thinking Sinnotts. Good bet?

The Dublin branch of the MRSC are meeting in The River Bar
    MRSCDublin ‏@MRSCDublin 4h4 hours ago
    Join us tonight on the ground floor of the River Bar for Munster v Maoris. Kick off 7.30pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

Not looking for a ticket here but what do you think the chances are of picking one up outside the stadium this evening? Unexpectedly able to go now, just don't have a ticket 😬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

willit wrote: »
    Not looking for a ticket here but what do you think the chances are of picking one up outside the stadium this evening? Unexpectedly able to go now, just don't have a ticket 😬

You'll pick up one at the ground guaranteed, I always see them being given away. Be there early and keep your eyes open

• Advertisement

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Hang on, do you think tonight's team is as good as the 2008 team? Miles apart.

No, I don't think they're as good. But your point was 'it shows how munsters depth has fallen'. My point is look at how many players are not involved through Ireland callups and injury

Advertisement